Author Topic: bicep surgery/need advise  (Read 7776 times)

bish

• Getbig I
bicep surgery/need advise
« on: June 14, 2006, 07:02:14 AM »
hello I need some advise on the best way to rehab a torn bicep tendon 60% torn  I will be haveing surgery this week (tear is at the elbow)What is the best way to rehab How long will it take to get back to 100%. 

Thanks for the help

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: bicep surgery/need advise
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 03:36:24 PM »
I tore my right distal bicep deadlifting a pool table. My bicep shot up my arm. I had it repaired a week later. It's important to have it repaired quickly because the tendon deteriorates and it becomes harder to reattach. I wouldn't wish the operation on anyone.  It's invasive and not like getting a knee or shoulder "scoped." I had nerve damage afterwards and my hand was numb. My surgeon kept a cast on for 2 weeks. I hear most keep it on for 6 weeks. My surgeon said my arm would get locked in position and that he wanted it to move as soon as possible. It took me about 6 weeks to get my arm to fully extend awards. You can't do any direct bicep exercises for 6 weeks while the tendon heals. I started with 3 pound dumbbells for curls. It hurt like hell. It's now 5 months later and I'm getting my strength back quick but it was a rough road. I suggest you just do cardio on a treadmill or bike until you can lift again. The bicep rupture will make all back, chest, shoulder and arm exercises weak until about 5 months. I had to start benching with the empty bar. The severity of every case is different. You can have a partial tear or a full one. It will take a lot of work to come back. I'm sure a lot of guys give up.  I hope your surgeon is skilled in this area.  My othopedic doc only operates from the elbow down.  Do it all orthopedic surgeons I'm wary of. Be strong and realize you will be back.