Author Topic: Ortiz vs Shamrock - today  (Read 5418 times)

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
Re: Ortiz vs Shamrock - today
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2006, 04:22:01 PM »
i agree with the retirement thing, i think its stupid for fighters to destroy their image and rep by trying to keep going. examples go on for ever. Tyson, shamrock, Roy Jones Jr, etc. all had awesome careers but blew it by trying to keep it going. i can also understand that they probably fight for financial reasons

especially when they make less than six figures for a fight. It make total sense for a boxer to retire on top, but in mma they sometimes need the cash. Does anyone really think Royce thought he had any chance against country breakfast Hughes?
E

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2006, 04:25:56 PM »
no i thnk royce thought he had a chance though, to be honest i think guys that train primarly bjj think they have a chance. as long as you dont lay on the ground and give a bjj fighter an arm or limb you can probaly win. fighters taht scramble do very well against bjj fighters. i think wrestling and striking are mor eimportant than bjj. of course you need to know some submissions but if you can throw and have good defense who gives a shit

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 04:28:51 PM »
no i thnk royce thought he had a chance though, to be honest i think guys that train primarly bjj think they have a chance. as long as you dont lay on the ground and give a bjj fighter an arm or limb you can probaly win. fighters taht scramble do very well against bjj fighters. i think wrestling and striking are mor eimportant than bjj. of course you need to know some submissions but if you can throw and have good defense who gives a shit

you just described Rashad Evans, no subs, but great wrestling and fast hands. I think he is better than people think.
E