Author Topic: Tom Platz Thread  (Read 26794 times)

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
Re: Tom Platz Thread
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2008, 03:42:38 AM »
Platz was the definiton of HARDCORE.

Who can match his will strength under the bar?

I did a lot of searching on the net and even asked Tom himself about his best lifts.

They were:
15 reps 635 lbs (in 1986),   12 reps 635 lbs (in 1985)
38 reps 405 lbs
20 reps 600 lbs

These numbers were found around on the internet in articles, summaries of his seminars, etc. and they matched to a point what he claimed himself. The exaggerated claims I found were made by fans, not by Tom.
No myth, no exaggerations. Platz was a leg freak. He had the repping ability already at a young age.
He could do a heavy weight and max out low reps. Drop the weight down just a little, and rep with it smoothly. Interesting. Potential above all.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2008, 08:49:20 AM »

I did a lot of searching on the net and even asked Tom himself about his best lifts.

They were:
15 reps 635 lbs (in 1986),   12 reps 635 lbs (in 1985)
38 reps 405 lbs
20 reps 600 lbs

These numbers were found around on the internet in articles, summaries of his seminars, etc. and they matched to a point what he claimed himself. The exaggerated claims I found were made by fans, not by Tom.
No myth, no exaggerations. Platz was a leg freak. He had the repping ability already at a young age.
He could do a heavy weight and max out low reps. Drop the weight down just a little, and rep with it smoothly. Interesting. Potential above all.

Tom has great legs and is strong as hell, but he cannot hit 600# for 20 reps.

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2008, 09:14:26 AM »
Tom has great legs and is strong as hell, but he cannot hit 600# for 20 reps.

WHOPS I actually made a mistake. I mean to write (not verified).  the 635 for 15 is, though. You may ask yourself what the difference between 15 with 635 for and 20 with 600 is.

People who think is "500 x 23" in exhibition was his max. abilities are plain fools. That was in 93 at sub 200 lbs bodyweight.
He was strongest in 85-86.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2008, 09:36:29 AM »
WHOPS I actually made a mistake. I mean to write (not verified).  the 635 for 15 is, though. You may ask yourself what the difference between 15 with 635 for and 20 with 600 is.

People who think is "500 x 23" in exhibition was his max. abilities are plain fools. That was in 93 at sub 200 lbs bodyweight.
He was strongest in 85-86.

Yes, in Tom's prime he could hit 500# for 50 reps, and then take a 1 minute rest and hit it for another 50 reps..... that is why there are so many videos of it!

Dude you are so far out in delusion land it is not even funny. I bet you think all the shit Flex and M&F prints about lifting claims are 100% accurate...lol...  ::)

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2008, 09:37:18 AM »
Oh, and BTW, when Tom hit the 500# for 23 reps he was 230-240#, not sub 200.

Trev

• Getbig IV
  • Bodybuilding The Old School Way - Train, Eat, Rest
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2008, 09:42:47 AM »
What can I say?  Thank you for the recognition.  A lot of us back then really trained for the love of bodybuilding.  I must admit in the gym today, I do still have a tendency to ʻgo thereʻ.  Guess itʻs in the blood.  Magic and I have stayed in touch.  He sent me some raw footage last year I had never seen before.  We are putting clips of it in my DVD series.  Oh, by the way, I wish it was going for that high price that I keep seeing online.  LOL.  Actually, check them out in my website.  Thank you, everyone.  You are the reason I did it back then, and why I still train today!
Welcome to another bodybuilding legend. You should start your own thread here Tom. Old School has got to come back. All the best.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2008, 10:08:42 AM »
you guys missed the most amazing photo
Best leg photo ever!
S

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2008, 10:22:50 AM »
Oh, and BTW, when Tom hit the 500# for 23 reps he was 230-240#, not sub 200.

uhhh not according to Doctor Squat. They were both sub 200l Tom maxed with 765, getting some help from Kaz out of the hole though.
Doc only got 12 reps or so with 500, and Tom got 23. Despite your ignorance you do know Tom is 5'7 right?

And don't address me like a fool. I don't believe 90% of what is out there, but Tom was legit. You are a damned clown if you can't do the math in your head. NO ONE claims Tom could do the things you exaggerate in your mock post.

As far as the video? Lol, again, you're a damned fool. This was mid 80s. not 2008. I bet you don't believe Eddie Robinsons 610 lbs bench as a teenager either, right? "No video! no video!" goes the broken record.

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2008, 10:28:58 AM »
Johnny Falco's gee-wiz logic. rofl.

In the 93 video clip (fibo 93) Tom does 23 with atleast 500 lbs. He was sub 200.

In 86, Tom at his biggest and strongest, Tom did 23 with 585. You think that's so impossible? You must be incapable of thinking, my friend. Do the math, do the numbers. Compare bodyweight, compare drug use difference, compare age. Take note: no rest pausing with the weight in 93.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2008, 09:18:29 PM »
uhhh not according to Doctor Squat. They were both sub 200l Tom maxed with 765, getting some help from Kaz out of the hole though.
Doc only got 12 reps or so with 500, and Tom got 23. Despite your ignorance you do know Tom is 5'7 right?

And don't address me like a fool. I don't believe 90% of what is out there, but Tom was legit. You are a damned clown if you can't do the math in your head. NO ONE claims Tom could do the things you exaggerate in your mock post.

As far as the video? Lol, again, you're a damned fool. This was mid 80s. not 2008. I bet you don't believe Eddie Robinsons 610 lbs bench as a teenager either, right? "No video! no video!" goes the broken record.

Well then, if Dr SQUAT said it, then it must be true...you are a stupid dumb fuck, that is all I can say..

Tom didn't even weigh under 200 in constest shape you moron-he competed at 216, but you're telling us he was under 200 hitting 500 for 23 reps...man, a sucker born every minute.

Junior-you are in over your head here, time to go back to reading Flex and living in Fantasyland.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2008, 09:19:59 PM »

Yeah, and dont leave out that Eddie did that bench at age 17, natural and weighed in at only 175# .....  ;D

ben 1

• Getbig II
  • real men !
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2008, 10:37:51 PM »
Tom will be at the B&A International Classics July 27th Las Vegas,Cashman Theater as our MC and he also will have a table where he sells a lot of his stuff!
Do not miss it!!!!

www.internationalclassic slasvegas.com - most rewarding Amateur show in the history of Amateur Bodybuilding/Figure !

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2008, 06:26:05 AM »
Well then, if Dr SQUAT said it, then it must be true...you are a stupid dumb fuck, that is all I can say..

Tom didn't even weigh under 200 in constest shape you moron-he competed at 216, but you're telling us he was under 200 hitting 500 for 23 reps...man, a sucker born every minute.

Junior-you are in over your head here, time to go back to reading Flex and living in Fantasyland.

TOM RETIRED IN 87, jackass. His short lived comeback does not equate him weighing 200+ in the great american squat off.

Oh and the weight was 525, not 500, you idiot. And yes. Research the facts yourself.

one born every minute.

m8

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2008, 07:19:48 AM »
What can I say?  Thank you for the recognition.  A lot of us back then really trained for the love of bodybuilding.  I must admit in the gym today, I do still have a tendency to ʻgo thereʻ.  Guess itʻs in the blood.  Magic and I have stayed in touch.  He sent me some raw footage last year I had never seen before.  We are putting clips of it in my DVD series.  Oh, by the way, I wish it was going for that high price that I keep seeing online.  LOL.  Actually, check them out in my website.  Thank you, everyone.  You are the reason I did it back then, and why I still train today!

What do you think about your placing at the Mr. Olympia 1981? Many thought, including me, that you were the clear winner!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2008, 07:28:13 AM »
Incredible and a true professional.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2008, 08:11:35 AM »
TOM RETIRED IN 87, jackass. His short lived comeback does not equate him weighing 200+ in the great american squat off.

Oh and the weight was 525, not 500, you idiot. And yes. Research the facts yourself.

one born every minute.

Wow, so now Tom's "retirement" age is what dictates his body weight...hey good job Einstein, now what are you going to tell us, Tom squatted 900# for reps when he was 14 years old because Dr Squat said so?????

Hey guy, wake up buddy, just because someone "says" something does not make it true.

Got it guy!

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2008, 08:12:39 AM »

They were:
15 reps 635 lbs (in 1986),   12 reps 635 lbs (in 1985)
38 reps 405 lbs
20 reps 600 lbs

Horseshit

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2008, 08:21:31 AM »

You are a great inspiration to all of us.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2008, 08:23:26 AM »
Horseshit

Everything is possible I think-except the 600 for 20 reps...

But there is always going to be some guy believing everything some dork tells them.....

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2008, 08:30:23 AM »
Hi Tom Platz  :o

You're a great inspiration for me. Hopefully you ship overseas so i can buy your dvd.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2008, 08:31:35 AM »
great to have you on board Tom, you're truly one of the greats.

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2008, 12:03:26 PM »

Everything is possible I think-except the 600 for 20 reps...

But there is always going to be some guy believing everything some dork tells them.....

Which just shows how incapable you are of intelligent thought.

635 for 15 - VALID. LEGIT.
And you think 585 for 23 is so impossible then? GIVEN Tom's AMAZING repping ability?

I'm not a guy. I'm a realist.  If I told you there was some chubby, swole big guy back in the 60s who did sets of 10 with 300 lbs added on dips you'd call BS. Look him up - Pat Casey. Don't be a skeptic just for the heck of it. That's the easiest position to take, and just as retarded as accepting everything as a fact

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: April 25, 2008, 12:20:18 PM »
635 for 15 is insane.

I hope to be able to do one rep with that sometime.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: April 25, 2008, 12:24:39 PM »
You are a great inspiration to all of us.

definately a great inspiration to those of us who are here because we love bodybuilding. unfortunately nothing can inspire the loudest ones on here who are just intent on insulting those who are great.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #124 on: April 25, 2008, 01:03:47 PM »
Which just shows how incapable you are of intelligent thought.

635 for 15 - VALID. LEGIT.
And you think 585 for 23 is so impossible then? GIVEN Tom's AMAZING repping ability?

I'm not a guy. I'm a realist.  If I told you there was some chubby, swole big guy back in the 60s who did sets of 10 with 300 lbs added on dips you'd call BS. Look him up - Pat Casey. Don't be a skeptic just for the heck of it. That's the easiest position to take, and just as retarded as accepting everything as a fact

You, Mr. guy, said 600 for 20 reps. I said BULLSHIT. It is nto valid, it is not legit.

Now you are saying 585 for 20, more bullshit.

You need to stop being a guy. Seriously.