Author Topic: umbilical hernia!!!!  (Read 3269 times)

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
umbilical hernia!!!!
« on: July 10, 2006, 06:58:39 PM »
I've had one for a while...started as just a little thing...not it hurts when someone touches around my navel...are these at all dangerous? anyone know how long you are off from the gym after getting it repaired?

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
Re: umbilical hernia!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 08:32:03 PM »
Depends on how much pain your in and how bad the doctors say it is.
bodybuildersreality.com

Painlayer420

• Getbig II
  • Live,Lift,and Dominate
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 04:39:33 PM »
When i was 15 i had a hernia in my groin area and had it removed doctor said in time it could have ruptured, I dont know if hernia's in different area act the same or different but im pretty sure you would get the same thing told to you i would just get it removed man there dangerous to your health. Also you can walk the same day they remove it but you would probably be outta the gym for atleast 3-5 weeks.

Hope this helps

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 05:07:38 PM »
I've had one for a while...started as just a little thing...not it hurts when someone touches around my navel...are these at all dangerous? anyone know how long you are off from the gym after getting it repaired?

There are several factors that need to be considered with this type of hernia.  I blew out my bellybutton while pulling linoleum up from my kitchen floor this spring.  My surgeon said that factors that need to be considered are 1) is there pain/dyscomfort 2) ease of reducability of the hernia 3) is the hernia increasing in size  4) and activity levels of the person with the hernia.   In a person with no pain, in an easily reducable hernia that is not increasing in size in a relatively inactive person is not indicated to be repaired surgically.  In my case, there was a degree of discomfort, the hernia was easily reducable, it had increased in size over a short period of time, and I'm a powerlifter....  My surgeons face literally blanched when I told him what my plans are for the squat and deadlift over the next couple of years and that I needed him to fix me so I wouldn't blow out again. 

Repair can be done one of two ways.  Laparscopically is the least invasive, but may have a higher incidence of post operative complications such as failure and infection (this is what my surgeon told me when we discussed repair of the hernia.... he said in an active person like myself, he'd prefer to do the procedure "open" because the risk of failure of the mesh that would be inserted would be less). 

I had the surgery done "open" meaning I have a small smiley faced incision right below my bellybutton.  The first week wasn't pleasant---It hurt like a bitch, especially when I sneezed and farted.  After that, I've really never looked back.  I was back in the gym in just under 3 weeks, back training heavy in 6.  I avoided max effort squats for 8 weeks, but was deadlifting heavy after 7 weeks. 

So far I've had no problems what so ever other than a bit of lost strenght from being a bit more cautious (I don't want to reinjure myself) and from the few weeks out of the gym.  Thats coming back nicely without any problems at all. 

JK

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 05:10:03 PM »
OH, and they can be very dangerous.  If the hernia is large enough to allow a segment of intestine to enter, there is a possibility of that segement of intestine becoming entrapped or other wise "pinched".  Once that happens it may die.... if that happens, emergency surgery is required.   If left untreated, death can result.

JK

Painlayer420

• Getbig II
  • Live,Lift,and Dominate
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 07:55:00 PM »
Thats what i was trying to say in most cases you do have to have the surgery done or it can ( rupture )

( Thanx for copying my post above yours )

coolioni

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 12:44:37 PM »
I had one too, about 15 years ago.
I had one in my scrotal area. It was repaired with the laprascope.
So far not many problems.
Occasionally I will get a strange pain in the area, and of course I will start to think it tore again.
But after a day or 2 it always seems to go away.
I think heavy lifting must aggrevate it.
But like I said it has been 15 years that it has held. It is supposed to last forever.
At the time when I had it done , my doc told me it was still a relatively new procedure.
He ws telling me a story how they  person who had trained him , did the sugery on a powelifter , and he competed 1 week after the surgery.

Painlayer420

• Getbig II
  • Live,Lift,and Dominate
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 12:55:29 PM »
Same area mine was in bro and yes mine still hurts sometimes to i try and stay away from doing lower ab exercises to much that really aggravates the area