Author Topic: Question of the Day: Will this latest death impact Don Long's chances?  (Read 4519 times)

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
 Lee's wishes have been made well aware to the IFBB.

nicorulez

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Tre, I believe he is a transplant patient and not currently requiring hemodialysis.  Now, Alonzo Mourning and Sean Elliot came back to play professional sports after having kidney transplants.  Alonzo is a true inspiration to any sports fan.  However, if I were Don, I would not add any other chemicals to the mix.  If I am correct and he has a transplant, he is likely on an immunosuppressive cocktail regardless.  These are very potent meds that might not play nice with the usual drug cocktails...cough....tha t some of our esteemed professional bodybuilders use.  I just hope he is following very closely with his transplant doc.  ;)

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
Tre, I believe he is a transplant patient and not currently requiring hemodialysis.  Now, Alonzo Mourning and Sean Elliot came back to play professional sports after having kidney transplants.  Alonzo is a true inspiration to any sports fan.  However, if I were Don, I would not add any other chemicals to the mix.  If I am correct and he has a transplant, he is likely on an immunosuppressive cocktail regardless.  These are very potent meds that might not play nice with the usual drug cocktails...cough....tha t some of our esteemed professional bodybuilders use.  I just hope he is following very closely with his transplant doc.  ;)

He had a transplant, but his body rejected it.

He is currently on dialysis.
Ron: "I am lazy."

nicorulez

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Damn, that is sad (did not hear about it).  If he really is on HD, it would be quite the accomplishment.  However, HD is very stressful (I should know; I am a nephrologist).  We have trouble getting the majority of our patients to eat and maintain an optimal nutrition level.  For someone to be so anabolic that they can compete professionally would be very intriguing.  However, dialysis patients have cardiovascular risk factors many times greater than someone of similar age.  Look at Anthony D (other thread of the bb who died); if Don is abusing and not being followed the outcome could be bad.  I hope he is being honest with his physicians and not being cavalier.  Regardless, good luck to him.

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
Tre made a good point about it being a good story.  The IFBB could benefit from a successful comeback.  Or, they could benefit from a stance which says "we care about our athletes and don't want Don competing".  But this middle-of-the-road, blame-someone-else technique is, IMO, a cowardice, non-committal way to go.

Pure speculation on my part but could the IFBB or any other organisation say "You can't compete" if a doctor said the athlete was healthy at the time of examintaion?
The problem is that some guys do things in the last 24 hours which not only make an impact on how they look but also on the admissions line at the local hospital.

So the IFBB is in a difficult situation. Could Don or any athlete with similar medical conditions sue if they refuse to let them compete?

If a doctor says OK on Friday, and something goes wrong in the next 24 hours, you can bet your life that a lawyer is going to want to sue someone! Who is it? The promoter, the IFBB? The "Guru"? The posters on boards like Getbig who wish him well and could be seen as encouraging him? *

* The reference to message boards was tongue in cheek but I'm sure some ass-wipe lawyer will be considering it!

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
The posters on boards like Getbig who wish him well and could be seen as encouraging him? *

* The reference to message boards was tongue in cheek but I'm sure some ass-wipe lawyer will be considering it!

Shari's lawyer is already working on it!  ;D
Ron: "I am lazy."

Platz

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!

Shari's lawyer is already working on it!  ;D

Well..let me say this:

SUED

ether

• Getbig IV
Damn, that is sad (did not hear about it).  If he really is on HD, it would be quite the accomplishment.  However, HD is very stressful (I should know; I am a nephrologist).  We have trouble getting the majority of our patients to eat and maintain an optimal nutrition level.  For someone to be so anabolic that they can compete professionally would be very intriguing.  However, dialysis patients have cardiovascular risk factors many times greater than someone of similar age.  Look at Anthony D (other thread of the bb who died); if Don is abusing and not being followed the outcome could be bad.  I hope he is being honest with his physicians and not being cavalier.  Regardless, good luck to him.

I think its' fair to say that Don Long is not exactly thinking about his life long term.

His AAS, diet and coupled with HD are going to lead him to a MASSIVE heart attack or stroke....its' already too late.

There are recent studies which show that Crestor 40 or Lipitor 80 can actually reverse atherosclerotic plaques tho, maybe he is stacking Winny V with Deca and Crestor/Lipitor.

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Why can't he find something else to fill his life? I mean, is his life really so empty that he has to compete? It has been like 4-5 years since his initial problems developed. MOVE ON!