Author Topic: training traps  (Read 1609 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
training traps
« on: August 08, 2006, 06:17:50 AM »
i can't seem to hit them right no matter what i'm trying.  Everything else isn ballooning up save my traps!

i'm trying to find the best way to hit and FEEL them in the movement...and that's the problem..the movement...

do i just bring my shoulders straight up to my ears? when you contract them though you bring your shoulders up and back....

what kinda contracting movement am i looking for here? ???

HICKSON

• Getbig IV
  • Bunch of slack-jaw fagg0ts round here.
Re: training traps
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 06:36:05 AM »
[ SEARCH ]   

Its a great tool.......
Giving 110%

SuperMike3288

• Getbig III
  • Up, up, and away!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 07:36:35 AM »
Buy a neck harness or just start doing neck bridges every day.
Intensity; the measure of man

Mick33

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 08:37:46 AM »

When shrugging up to the ears feel the muscle between your upper mid lats and notice the connection going all the way up to the traps. Once you can feel that and picture that then you'll really get the mind/muscle connec. goin on and build those suckers. Plus try doing front shrugs, reverse shrugs, and burning out with heavy dumbell shrugs (on those really touch your traps to your ears and hold them at the top!) Good luck Texas!

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 08:53:00 AM »
Power Cleans and/or Hi-Pulls off a power rack. Both affect the posterior delts also. Try a trap bar or even DB's, you want to bury the ears on each high rep. Try BB shrugs with different hand grips. Extra wide grip will also produce a good stretch and different muscle action to the traps. I've found that narrow grip (4-6") offer good results. Even one arm cleans/Hi-pull are excellent. A lot of the Olympic lifters have traps so deep and thick, you think you could hide your fist in them. Blame that on cleans and hi-pulls.

Might try Shrugs SS'ed with power cleans, 6-12 reps. Stay away from your normal shrug grip for awhile and do a set of wide grip shrugs SS'ed with a narrow grip shrug. Partial rep shrugs in a power rack are also outstanding.

If you have a middle trap structure, rather than a higher one, than the traps will not be that impressive from the front. From the rear they will be. If you a BB'er, a heavy set of traps will give the illusion of narrower shoulder width. Sorry to say but a neck strap will have little bearing on the traps themselves. Though it's always a good ides to work the neck hard and often. Good Luck.

Nathan

• Getbig III
  • 5'11 185 lbs
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 09:02:14 AM »
One thing u Don't want to do is roll the shoulders on shrugs just straight up and down!
Same go's with reverse shrugs, also it might be obvious but also keep ur arms straight, don't bend them during the movement.
P

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 09:04:40 AM »
If you have a middle trap structure, rather than a higher one, than the traps will not be that impressive from the front. From the rear they will be

they look thick from behind and run right down the middle of my back and neck..but from the front i look like an 8th grade football player.  :-\

I'm gonna work a few weeks wiht lighter weights and try to find a "feel" i guess....if 500+ lb deads aren't gonna help build it then i'm stuck and should just focus on training them hard nad focusing on them.

stealth_swimmer

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 01:57:45 PM »
Behind the Back Barbell Shrugs are really good, but if you already have them behind your back and want to increase how they look from the front then Dumbell Shrugs should do the job. For me the best rep range is 8-15 reps (to failure).

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 03:15:22 PM »
seated dumb shrugs 4 days before shoulders, then heavy barbell shrugs on shoulder day. worked for me.
bodybuildersreality.com

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 08:28:04 PM »
Deadlifts, upright rows, and power cleans.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 06:26:26 AM »
Deadlifts, upright rows, and power cleans.

Concur...i also like heavy shrugs with my chin down, i get a better feel that way.

floor deadlifts made the biggest improvement in my traps.

8)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 08:37:41 AM »
Barbell shrugs and dumbell shrugs- light and high rep DB, supersetted with heavy and low rep BB, 6-8 sets total.  Worked for me.

KAM

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 11:09:43 AM »
go heavy, lots of 45's 8)