Author Topic: Old School....1989  (Read 14249 times)

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
Old School....1989
« on: August 25, 2006, 02:59:20 PM »
So, I started training and competing in 1989 and there has been a LOT changed in the "sport".  There was no Hammer Strength, Creatine, Glutamine, or Strive. There were no diet guru's. Flex, Muscle and Fitness and Ironman all covered women's bbing. MuscleMag and Muscular Development were like 80 pages long. Flex profiled amatuer bbers.  I sat in the LAST row at the 1st ASC and watched GAspari defeat Robby Robinson, Gary strydom and Bob Paris (who had the BEST routine i've ever seen).

1989 Mr Olympia:Lee Haney (1), Lee Labrada (2), Vince Taylor (3), Rich Gaspari (4), Mohammed Benaziza (5), Mike Christian (6), Mike Quinn (7), Brian Buchanan (8), Samir Bannout (9), Ron Love (10), Bertil Fox (11), Francis Benfatto (12), Andreas Munzer (13), Bob Paris (14), Albert Beckles (14).

Of those men, 2 have died and 2 competed this year and one is serving a life sentence.

Cybergenics was HUGE.

Oh have things changed.

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: Old School....1989
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 06:58:09 PM »
2 are dead....1 is serving life in prision for a double murder...& of that list....only one is still competing.

But....you forgot alot of stuff.....

baggy pants.....fag bags....mullets...work boots......walkmans..... .etcc..... ;D

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 09:34:23 PM »
That's not "old school". The 70's and early 80's. 

CHrome Universal Machines, Nautilus was popular, 100 CIBA D-bol were $25, the bench press had those close stands so the bar bounced and bent when you took it off and put it back on, the only cardio was a bike that you twisted a little wheel to tighten the band around the front tire, index cards were the only things a front desk needed for membership, no personal trainers (you just ask someone to work in), gang showers (coed too), lots of clanging of weights (no plastic or rubber), deep knurled handles so you got nice big callasses, that leather band thing you put around your waist and it wiggle the fat off, the wooden seat that rotated around to make your ass small. Simple. Workout, sweat take shower. Your name shows up on the chalk board behind the front counter alongside Arnold S.,Lou F, Franco C. telling everyone in the gym you are late with your $150 per year membership.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 06:05:58 PM »

CHrome Universal Machines, Nautilus was popular, 100 CIBA D-bol were $25, the bench press had those close stands so the bar bounced and bent when you took it off and put it back on, the only cardio was a bike that you twisted a little wheel to tighten the band around the front tire, index cards were the only things a front desk needed for membership, no personal trainers (you just ask someone to work in), gang showers (coed too), lots of clanging of weights (no plastic or rubber), deep knurled handles so you got nice big callasses, that leather band thing you put around your waist and it wiggle the fat off, the wooden seat that rotated around to make your ass small. Simple. Workout, sweat take shower. Your name shows up on the chalk board behind the front counter alongside Arnold S.,Lou F, Franco C. telling everyone in the gym you are late with your $150 per year membership.
:'( i wish i was around for those days.  :'(
bodybuildersreality.com

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 12:56:09 AM »

You are describing my current gym!  Right down to the index cards.  Not the Dbol though.
It hasn't helped...

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 01:51:19 AM »
70s, early 80s:

Arm blasters, chrome dumbbells, collars that wouldn't stay on, great custom-made leverage machines before there were any brand names, Universal machines (great leg press + calf raises done on the shoulder press station), pec decks, vertical leg press, flat leg curl machines, roman chairs, headbands, short shorts, good music playing on the radio, liver tablets.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 02:41:30 AM »
70s, early 80s:

Arm blasters, chrome dumbbells, collars that wouldn't stay on, great custom-made leverage machines before there were any brand names, Universal machines (great leg press + calf raises done on the shoulder press station), pec decks, vertical leg press, flat leg curl machines, roman chairs, headbands, short shorts, good music playing on the radio, liver tablets.

Man I forgot the Liver tabs.  50 to 80 a day.  Those big ass horse tabs.  And real Roman Chairs.  Thebest way to do abs.  Vert. Leg Press was awesome.  I never used the flat leg curl.  It just seemed uncomfortable looking at it.

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 07:13:28 AM »
unitard cameltoes and moustaches

doozejooze

• Getbig II
  • Get bit
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 07:54:07 PM »
Francis Benfatto and Vince Taylor both competed this year.
Rectum defendere!

valhalla

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 05:19:58 AM »

Damn,your talking about the gym i own! All iron plates,no membership cards and i even have the jiggle belt and the wooden rollers!  ;D For sure one of the last of its kind here in my country! I will try and post some pics later.

Val

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 12:30:10 PM »
Damn,your talking about the gym i own! All iron plates,no membership cards and i even have the jiggle belt and the wooden rollers!  ;D For sure one of the last of its kind here in my country! I will try and post some pics later.

Val
very cool, yes lets see some pics!!
bodybuildersreality.com

valhalla

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 05:15:26 AM »
ImageShack is not working for me today  ??? Know any other free ones where you donīt have to sign up?

valhalla

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 05:22:44 AM »

valhalla

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 05:37:04 AM »

Chalk is ok.No aerobics.No classes.Chains and rubberbands for powerlifting.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 05:40:44 AM »

Dude i wanna train at ur gym, or infact any gym that dedicated to old school. My current gym is 'one for the masses' and has wee free weights section with alright stuff, but if u hjappen to go wen the other 'proper' lifters are there aswell, u cant get a bench.
All dance music and at certain times of the week they run classes in there wer u lift to music ahhhh,.

ONLYME, do u ever miss the old hardcore days? Has ur training changed alot since back in the day wen u trained with the pro's?
I hope ur gyn ur opening is old school lol.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 05:49:13 AM »
Great thread!!!The old days were awesome.The attitude of people in the gyms back then were much more relaxed (everybody would help anyone).Also, don't forget the godawful protein powders back then lol.Even if you placed them in a cement truck mixer (unless you had a blender) there was no way you were gonna get a shake w/o a lot of clumps!Which also brings up the fact there was no "shakers" in them days.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 06:20:08 AM »
Valhalla, i have question for u bro. In the 2nd picture, what is the thing in the middle of the room which has what looks like a high pad to lie on with loaded BB under it, also has what looks like 2 white foot plates??
Awesome looing gym, wer u liv bro??

davie

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 06:27:24 AM »
ha ha ha, the fat roller thingie, that is old school
X

valhalla

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 06:55:49 AM »
Valhalla, i have question for u bro. In the 2nd picture, what is the thing in the middle of the room which has what looks like a high pad to lie on with loaded BB under it, also has what looks like 2 white foot plates??
Awesome looing gym, wer u liv bro??

davie

Itīs a high bench for doing rows and rear lateral raises. I live in Denmark. I gotta tell you guys that it is hard work owning a gym like this! No money in it,but i refuse to change it! :D
The equipment and atmosphere must work though,because a guy from my gym just won his class at the Danish Nationals.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2006, 08:21:58 AM »
Itīs a high bench for doing rows and rear lateral raises. I live in Denmark. I gotta tell you guys that it is hard work owning a gym like this! No money in it,but i refuse to change it! :D
The equipment and atmosphere must work though,because a guy from my gym just won his class at the Danish Nationals.

Cheers, what about in 2nd last pic, i thought it was for deads wen u didnt wanna do them from the ground, but whats with the big handle?? (sorry to sound stupid)

davie

valhalla

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2006, 09:17:08 AM »
Barbell lifter..for easy plateloading when doing sets of heavy deadlifts.

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2006, 10:00:08 AM »

dont forget the calf machine that had nothing but a rope and pully and you had to load the weights on hahah.
p

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2006, 10:33:14 AM »
Barbell lifter..for easy plateloading when doing sets of heavy deadlifts.
very cool thanks for the pics valhalla.
bodybuildersreality.com

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2006, 11:36:46 AM »
The old gymI trained at back in 1973 or so some great inventions.  The guy who owned was an older man who built a building behind his house for the gym.  Had a ground level boxing ring too.  He worked at a steel place.  And allot fo the weight were gears and metal wheels that he would cutoff pieces to make them weigh what they should.  Then he painted the wieght on them.  So when you benched you could have maybe a couple 45's along with a gear and a steel plate and whatever else there was.  The pulldown was a cable with a handle.  The cable went up into the rafters and around a bicycle rim and then connected to a rod with a hook.  To load weight, you would have to unclip the cable hold onto it and grab a weight and slide it on the rod then reclip the cable.

We also had a neat poster that had a picture of Arnold on it.  It had his measurements too.  In additon there was a chart that had different heights on it.  What it did was it would tell you what measuerements you needed at your particualr height to be in proportion to Arnold.  SO if you were 5'8" you could see how big your arms, chest, thighs, calves, neck, waist, forearms and other parts would have to be to be proportionate to Arnold.  It was neat.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2006, 12:08:07 PM »
Eleiko....haven't seen stuff made from that company in awhile.

What the hell is that wooden roller thing?