Difference between total and free testosterone

(1/2) > >>

schwarzenpecker:
I just got my total testosterone level tested and it is 326 which my doctor says is good but my sex drive and strength feel down. The test says that between 280 and 1100 is normal. I'm 43. What is the difference between total and free testosterone? What is the normal level for free testosterone. The dr says I don't need testosterone shots, even 200mg every 2 weeks will reduce my normal test production. I don't believe this of course.
     So do I need to get my free testosterone level checked or will another doctor prescribe me test shots with my 326 total test level?

ZEEK:
you dont need a doctor just get some test and go at it  ;D

dirtyman_209:
haaaaaaaaaaaa   true

Ledd:
Quote from: schwarzenpecker on August 29, 2006, 06:45:43 PM

I just got my total testosterone level tested and it is 326 which my doctor says is good but my sex drive and strength feel down. The test says that between 280 and 1100 is normal. I'm 43. What is the difference between total and free testosterone? What is the normal level for free testosterone. The dr says I don't need testosterone shots, even 200mg every 2 weeks will reduce my normal test production. I don't believe this of course.
     So do I need to get my free testosterone level checked or will another doctor prescribe me test shots with my 326 total test level?

200mg every two weeks will do nothing but shut you down.  So yes it will lower your test production.  Take that two hundred and do it twice or three times a week and you'll get shutdown ofcourse but you'll reap the anabolic benefits.

Mr.Protein:
Quote from: schwarzenpecker on August 29, 2006, 06:45:43 PM

Different Labs use different parameters when determining if your level of Testosterone is within "normal limits".  My testing lab uses a reference range of between 240 - 950 ng/dl.

Your level of total Test. (326) would be "low/normal"... that is why your doctor does not think you are a candidate for HRT.

"Free Testosterone" can be valued either as a % of your Total Testosterone or simply a number.  My lab has a reference range of between 2.0 and 4.8% or an expected numerical value of between 9 and 30 ng/dl to designate below normal, normal and above normal levels.

Free Testosterone is the amount of unbound or "bioavailable" androgenic hormone that is responsible for building muscle. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page