Author Topic: What do you think of this article?  (Read 1175 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
What do you think of this article?
« on: September 01, 2006, 10:43:58 AM »
Reflecting on Katrina

As the first anniversary of Hurricane Katrina passes, it’s worth taking a moment to reflect on the politicization of the disaster and the errors committed in trying to clean it up. First off, the Democratic Party's assessment that the White House turned its back on Louisiana is totally off base. Congress approved more than $120 billion for the Gulf region, more than it has allocated for any other national disaster. However, allowing a city as notoriously corrupt as New Orleans carte blanche in spending its money has led to massive fraud and waste and allowing the local, state, and federal government to take the lead in the rebuilding process was also a mistake. After all, it was government incompetence and slow movement that exacerbated the problems in the first place.

The best progress has been made where the private sector has been involved—with companies like Wal-Mart and Home Depot using contributions to help people rebuild. Billions of dollars in federal flood insurance claims are still mired in red tape, while private insurance companies have paid out 80 percent of homeowner claims.

There is much to be learned from Katrina, and any real assessment could take volumes. All our elected officials have been able to do so far is make a partisan issue out of it, for which we all suffer.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: What do you think of this article?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 11:45:05 AM »
No individual on ANY level did the right or wrong thing that week.  They all just did an "okay" job.  Then, they all pointed fingers at each other and said they were trying to do blahl blah blah, and everyone above and below them was incompetent.

Fact is, everyone toed the company line, and the infrastructure just wasn't there to get help in right away.  Louisiana is one of the most underdeveloped places in the country - the roads, communications systems, and govt infrastructure are just not as efficient as you'd see in a bigger city with higher tax base.

Brownie got screwed over the deal. He was a good fall guy.  And he didn't have the balls to step up- he just kept toeing the party line, nodding along with bush all week.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 11:55:12 AM »
it was a hurricane, for god's sake.

we're lucky it wasn't the earthquake they've been predicting for California all the way up to Vancouver for the last 10-20-30 years.

(sorry, do you live in New Orleans?

I never made it that far, never vistied there.  pity.

xL

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 12:06:18 PM »
it was a hurricane, for god's sake.

we're lucky it wasn't the earthquake they've been predicting for California all the way up to Vancouver for the last 10-20-30 years.
xL

I don't follow.  Are you belittling the effects of Katrina?

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 01:10:49 PM »
sorry, no.  How can you belittle something as massive as a huge natural disaster?

I just wasn't there, that's all.  & I'm sorry if you live in New Orleans
xL

It was huge mess, every which ways, possibly more so after the event.  That's what I'm saying: 
What will happen when that earthquake finally hits?

I remain an extreme optimist...

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 01:27:34 PM »
I think the meltdown started when the Head of FEMA was found out to be a horse trainer in real life.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 02:06:56 PM »
Linda, no, I don't live in New Orleans.  But I do think there's plenty of blame to go around.  While we hear lots of criticism of the federal gov't, we hear little to nothing about the local and state gov't in Louisiana.  240 hit it on the head in describing how underdeveloped New Orleans is, but he failed to mention how corrupt their gov't is too. 

What's a shame to me is that the state of Mississippi was devastated by Katrina, yet we hear NOTHING about it.  They are progressing further along with their rebuilding efforts.  Maybe it's because media isn't as involved?  Makes you wonder what good the media is for us anymore.  Do they report the news or do they give us what THEY want you to hear?  No need to reply to that question.... I already know the answer.