Author Topic: FLEX vs MD: The battle gets dirty  (Read 18776 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: FLEX vs MD: The battle gets dirty
« Reply #225 on: September 10, 2006, 09:53:01 AM »
....magazines sell advertising.  Simple.  If the mags don't inspire in some way, don't buy em.

Where MD shines over FLEX is the interviews.  At least they smack of SOME realism. 

But FLEX's training articles??....bwahahahaha!  They're all written by some schmuck whose thesaurus use needs SERIOUS curbing.

Sure, there's only a few ways to skin a cat, but come on FLEX.  Get rid of that guy writing "waxing" this and that and watch sales increase. 

But look at it this way...if FLEX talked about drugs (not that MD does a better job...in fact, MD does NOTHING with the drug info...it just prints the word "steroids" every now and then...not how to make sense of them!), at least they'd let the kids know that the physiques aren't possible with creatine, protein shakes and glutamine.

But they keep pushing that stuff. 

Ummm.....the "kids" already know that!!! Why do some people think that MD is somehow making some revelation about anabolic use in bodybuilding?

I'm beginning to think that certain readers have short memories. If MD doesn't remind them every 10 seconds that IFBB pro use anabolics, they'll think that they'll actually have to train hard and smart and have a sound nutritional regime....OOOOHHHHHHHH THE HUMANITY!!!!

mrsirjojo

• Getbig II
  • Si vis pacem, Para bellum.
« Reply #226 on: September 11, 2006, 09:32:41 AM »
Ummm.....the "kids" already know that!!! Why do some people think that MD is somehow making some revelation about anabolic use in bodybuilding?

You'd be surprised. More people believe "everything they read" than you think. Not to wax political, but what percent of Americans believe there was a connection between 9/11 and Iraq? That Iraq had WMDs? That we have been visited by aliens many times and the governement is hiding it? Not such a leap that some people might also believe ZMA made Marion Jones the fastest woman in the world or that 250 pounds of muscle at 5 percent BF can be attained with hard work and the right diet ONLY.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #227 on: September 11, 2006, 06:18:52 PM »
You'd be surprised. More people believe "everything they read" than you think. Not to wax political, but what percent of Americans believe there was a connection between 9/11 and Iraq? That Iraq had WMDs? That we have been visited by aliens many times and the governement is hiding it? Not such a leap that some people might also believe ZMA made Marion Jones the fastest woman in the world or that 250 pounds of muscle at 5 percent BF can be attained with hard work and the right diet ONLY.

Nobody is making that claim.....in EITHER magazine.

For some strange reason, I don't see no jaws dropping, when someone suggest that IFBB pros use performance-enhancing drugs.

As stated earlier, MD is obsessed with being the anti-FLEX, the rebels without a cause (and often, without a clue). In my opinion, MD has dropped in quality, ever since Don Ross dies back in 1995.

Alas, I've lost most of the MD mags I bought since 1993; the few I have left are of the MDFH/ANMD variety. When you compare those mags to MD (in its current incarnation), it's comical. Supposedly, Steve Blechman was forced to tow the corporate line by those mean old suits from Twinlab (most of whom were his own kinfolk).

I thought Skip LaCour and Ron "Alcatraz" Coleman were the future of bodybuilding. I am reminded of the poetic words of John Romano, If you're big, ripped, and got that way drug-free, you have a home at ANMD. This was in response to a Romano-started allegation that ANMD was receiving hate mail, because, since going to an all-natural format, most of the bodybuilders featured in the magazine were black.

As for high horses, perhaps, I should share the tirade that Blechman let legendary competitor, Steve Reeves, print in ANMD, voicing his disdain for the competitors of the mid/late 90s.

Formerly_Owner76

• Getbig III
  • Long Time Troll!
« Reply #228 on: November 28, 2010, 01:55:52 PM »
This