Author Topic: 2006 Muscle Beach Venice - Joe Weider / Arnold S  (Read 11271 times)

ollie

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: 2006 Muscle Beach Venice - Joe Weider / Arnold S
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2006, 10:24:18 PM »
Complete video of Arnold's intro and Joe's speech at

http://www.graphicmuscle.com/pop_report.cfm?ReportID=224

Pics here

http://graphicmuscle.com/index.cfm?go2=contests_year&ContestYearID=726

Check out Melanie Garcia!!!!!!

Mydavid

• Getbig V
  • thankd dweetir :)
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2006, 11:01:57 PM »

Pics here

So i saw the TV coverage on channel 11 out here in pretty Pasadena area...anyhow, wish i was there and so would Hans had he been alive...anyhow, they showed one screwed up male lookin' poser and then a lineup of some girls that didn't really belong...then again i tell myself, "it's Muscle Beach"!!!!

Lisa

Tomanater

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • Eat-Sleep-Train-Grow
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2006, 11:22:32 PM »
Thanks for the pics Ron. Damn I got to get my ass back down to the Mecca. Its been much to long since my last visit..

Peace D

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2006, 12:26:22 AM »
Joe still has his dignity and told the crowd he loved them and considered them his children. He said the most important thing is life is your wife and he always honoured his. Betty looked young and full of vitality. Joe said the 7 hour operation he had 2 years ago has another 6 months healing before he is himself again.

Who would have believed that Arnold would be there today as the governor of California presenting such an award to Joe. Joe received the award from the Muscle Beach and city of LA people. Arnold also gave Joe a citation from the people of California for his contribution to health and fitness.

I saw photos of Arnold pointing and I thought he was picking out people to mention but he was merely pointing out how many cameras there were and said more than 12 and they were there for Joe. Truth is the cameras left after Arnold left. There were police lined up behind the stage to protect Arnold. Who would have thought that would ever be necessary for a guy who arrived there in October 1968 as Mr Universe and nothing much in his pocket. He told the people California was a place where you could make your dreams come true if you worked hard enough.

People, when you are assisting the blind or frail let them hold onto your arms. Don't take their arms because they have nothing to hold onto. Joe grabbed Arnold's hand to help get to the top of the stairs. It was good to see the love the crowd had for Joe. That was a nice moment in this crazy sport. I think Arnold exaggerated Joe's contribution but the essence was spot on.

Slick Vic

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2006, 04:12:29 AM »
Few here are thinking that's Franco's granddaughter [girl on lap]. I beg to differ. Now, to my knowledge, Franco had only one child in the early 90's, a lil' girl named Maria Elizabeth Columbu, in which Arnold became the godfather at a ceremony. If anything, I would assume that would be Arnold's goddaughter all grown-up.
Hope this helps.  :)

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2006, 04:23:23 AM »
Poor Joe is looking pretty frustrated at his situation in that footage...

irish_strenght

• Getbig II
  • sex me im irish
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2006, 04:36:15 AM »
did anyone see ben weider talking about napoleon on the histrory channel? it was weird to see him so out of context

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2006, 05:01:06 AM »
Betty looks hot in that magazine cover from the 50s.  I love the figure, why dont women look like that nowadays?
It hasn't helped...

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2006, 06:54:12 AM »
For all the what happened to bber's scroll down page to shot with bbers behind fence you will see danny hester facially looks the same,cant see his build.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2006, 06:25:13 PM »
For all the what happened to bber's scroll down page to shot with bbers behind fence you will see danny hester facially looks the same,cant see his build.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2006, 06:39:16 PM »
Made the news here in australia too.  Nothing about weider though :)

Who asked you Shawn? Always have to stick your nose in everything.

If we're going to question people putting their 2c in on a message board I think we're going to be here all day.

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2006, 06:44:59 PM »
Weider looks like he could star in the next Weekend at Bernie's film....

;D ;D ;D
holy shit!
lmao!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2006, 06:50:10 PM »
Weider looks like he could star in the next Weekend at Bernie's film....

Although that was pretty funny.....it also is pretty sad.

Anyways......I like this picture:

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2006, 06:57:39 PM »
Great article by Ron, think it really shines through in the pics and the text how it was the Former Emperor's (perhaps last) return to his Domain.

Neat. Very neat.

Awesome text for the pic of Lauren Powers:

'Lauren Powers was out there'

My comment: Powers sure was. 8)

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2006, 07:11:57 PM »
Great article by Ron, think it really shines through in the pics and the text how it was the Former Emperor's (perhaps last) return to his Domain.

Neat. Very neat.

Awesome text for the pic of Lauren Powers:

'Lauren Powers was out there'

My comment: Powers sure was. 8)

YIP
Zack

yeah....way out there

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2006, 07:18:49 PM »
This guy is what bodybuilding is all about. He's better than many Pro BB's.

He represents something entirely different.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2006, 07:40:54 PM »

Pics here

I love how Joe and Arnold were fighting over who was going to hold the microphone!
Ron Paul 2012

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2006, 09:39:49 PM »
Danny has had that exact same middriff since 1993. Amazing. Nice guy... IMO.
a

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2006, 09:50:39 PM »
did anyone see ben weider talking about napoleon on the histrory channel? it was weird to see him so out of context

Regarding Ben Weider, while not in focus of this thread, he is an expert on Napolean, having written a few books, including one called 'The Murder of Napolean'. Ben is also the president of the International Napoleonic Society, who founded it.

From the IFBB website...

Ben Weider is currently President of the International Napoleonic Society , which has branches in 39 countries. His knowledge about the Emperor Napoleon is legendary, and he is a widely sought lecturer on the subject to history students, including those at Moscow University in 1991, and McGill University in 1994. In June 1995, Ben Weider was invited to give a lecture to the officers of SHAPE/NATO at Mons , Belgium . He also lectured at the Sandhurst Military Academy in London , England , and at the Borodino Military Museum in Borodino , Russia .

In 1975, Ben Weider traveled to the island of St. Hélène to visit where Napoleon lived the last years of his life.

In 1995, two books by Ben Weider were included in a two-volume set of Napoleonic history published by the Russian Historical Society . These books, The Murder of Napoleon and La Sagesse de Napoleon, were included along with highlights from Leo Tolstoy’s War and Peace and a book about Napoleon by Alexandre Dumas. Over 500,000 copies were sold.

In September 1995, the Florida State University created the Ben Weider Eminent Scholar Chair in Napoleonic History . The Florida State University now has the ability to promote Napoleonic history and to encourage students to travel in the context of their Napoleonic research.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2006, 09:56:01 PM »
I guess the truth is it is the end of an era and Joe can't dominate anymore. I remember meeting him in Sydney on a harbour cruise after the Mr Olympia that Arnold won. Joe was sitting there talking. He said he doesn't care who wins because they are all his champions. I told him I took heaps of photos of the contest and he told me to send the contacts to Bill Reynolds.  Bill was right there, too, so I turned to him and in a loud voice said, "Reynolds, if you don't do the right thing with these photos, You're fired!" Joe and others laughed but Reynolds turned white. Bill complained that Joe would confuse him with another Bill in the office and that would really annoy Reynolds. I never found out if Joe did that intentionally.

I always believed that Joe Weider exaggerated claims and so on and I refused to have anything to do with his magazines. I wrote one article for Muscle and Fitness but that was to do with the Mr Canada contest. I had to write my own story. I learned that trick from Robert Nailon. You have to promote yourself of no one will hear about you. It is a pity I never got to know Joe because I am sure he had a sense of humour and was in control of his empire. I wonder who is going to take over after the Weider brothers are gone?

Bill Comstock

• Getbig III
  • unnn
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2006, 12:09:58 PM »
Joe is obviously fighting for his life. He can barely walk unassissted and doesn't recall who the President of the United States is. All he  is really able to communicate is "I love you all" and "Bodybuilders are tough."  Arnold is capable of extraordinary kindness and generosity to those he cares about, and his sensitivity is palpable in this video. Very touching. 

Keep Joe in your prayers.  He needs them!
Don't be an imbecilel!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2006, 12:12:20 PM »
Joe is obviously fighting for his life. He doesn't recall who the President of the United States is. Arnold is capable of extraordinary kindness and generosity to those he cares about, and his sensitivity is palpable in this video. Very touching. 

Keep Joe in your prayers.  He needs them!

I was thinking that too.

But then again....I see everyday people have a lapse & can't remember simple things like who the President is.

SecondFocus

• Getbig II
  • Wanna See More...?
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2006, 04:08:18 PM »
Bill is very right. It was obvious to those of us who were very close to the stage etc that Joe Weider is in the waning days of his life and is not fully competent. At 85 many people are indeed in much better health and others not as lucky. We should keep it in mind that one day many of us will be in the same place and hopefully will find others as kind to us as Joe Weider is now finding now.
Ian L. Sitren
SecondFocus

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2006, 09:53:25 PM »
Who would have believed that Joe Weider would have trouble talking! He said he was still healing and it was some effort for him to talk. He even forgot one word and others helped him out. He seemed to have his dignity and the essence of what he said was okay. He was very proud of his wife and that was the nicest part of the interview and presentation. I think he knew the occasion might be a goodbye and that weighed heavily upon him because he was quite emotional during his speech. Arnold raised Betty's hand and the sentiment was nice but I guess that wasn't necessary. Arnold was giving Betty credit for sticking by Joe and being there for him.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2006, 10:07:15 PM »
Why would anyone be surprised at Joe's condition, he's over 80 and post-op. I'm sure he's just grateful to still be breathing. Betty i'm sure has an excellent plastic surgeon but nontheless looks great for her age.