Author Topic: New pro football passing record  (Read 2998 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
New pro football passing record
« on: September 05, 2006, 07:05:29 AM »
Marcus Allen's brother:

Argos' Allen going long

HAMILTON - Toronto Argonauts quarterback Damon Allen became the all-time leading passer in professional football history under a canopy of blue and orange pastel at sunset last night, a beautiful setting that lent a feeling of significance to a game that threatened not to live up to its billing.

Play was stopped for a presentation near midfield with Canadian Football League commissioner Tom Wright, the Argos' ownership group and Steve Mariucci, the former National Football League coach who was Allen's positional coach at Cal State Fullerton two decades ago.

The 43-year-old claimed his piece of sports history with a shovel pass to Arland Bruce III early in the third quarter of the Labour Day game against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, a short dump that ended with the slotback crossing into the end zone 29 yards away and with Allen creeping past Warren Moon to become the most prolific pivot in the game.

Allen, in his 22nd CFL season, entered last night's game needing 165 yards to snatch the record from Moon, who finished his long career in Canada and the United States with a combined 70,553 yards. Allen finished the game with 207 yards against the Ticats, leaving him at 70,596 in his career.

He also finished with a win, as the Argos rolled to their fourth straight victory -- a 40-6 rout in front of 28,891 mostly disgusted Hamilton fans. The Argos (6-5) now hold sole possession of second place in the East Division, two points behind Montreal.

"Right now, I'm just playing the game of football, trying to line up every week and go out there and play with the joy and the passion of a kid," Allen said. "I'm just playing the game. And if I can keep it that simple, then I can really appreciate the things I've done once my career's over and not take it for granted."

Allen's pursuit of the record even made some news in the United States. He was the subject of a profile in The New York Times last week and was featured in yesterday's editions of the San Jose Mercury News and The Seattle Times.

His flirtation with history was documented more thoroughly in Canada and provided the parallel benefit of distracting fans from unsightly blemishes in both Toronto and Hamilton.

The Argos were without the services of running back John Avery, who was sidelined with a foot injury, and they were also down a body on the offensive line. Left tackle Bernard Williams returned home to Georgia late last week after being charged with one count of sexual assault.

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
Re: New pro football passing record
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 07:18:20 AM »
Too bad it's not recognized in the NFL.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 07:22:44 AM »
hahahah, Canadian football. hahahaha, where people who aren't good enough, or druggie cast-offs  from the NFL play.  What a "league."

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 10:18:34 AM »
Marcus Allen's brother:

Argos' Allen going long

Allen, in his 22nd CFL season, entered last night's game needing 165 yards to snatch the record from Moon, who finished his long career in Canada and the United States with a combined 70,553 yards. Allen finished the game with 207 yards against the Ticats, leaving him at 70,596 in his career.

Big difference between the two. Moon threw for a lot of his yards in the NFL. Allen didn't
The House that Ruth built

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 10:47:48 AM »
Aside from that....   Canadian Football isn't close to having the same level of competition as the NFL.   

Allen would get drubbed in the NFL.  That's why he plays in the canadian football league in the first place.  Yeah, sure occasinally people in the Canadian league turn "true" pro and do well in the NFL.  But that kind of thing happens all the time in other quasi-proffessional leagues.  People rise up, get better etc...   

But in the end the best games draw the best players and the NFL has the best players and the Best Game.

So Allen's achivement is significant in the diet coke of "proffessional" football and gets mentioned solely becuase of the literal definition of "proffessional" .

Did you you know there's a minor league system in baseball?  They have record holders there too.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 01:34:54 PM »
But in the end the best games draw the best players and the NFL has the best players and the Best Game.

Did you you know there's a minor league system in baseball?  They have record holders there too.

And yet for all the rhetoric & chest thumping, the NFL itself is diluted. Too many teams, not enough quality talent + many passing rule changes = watered-down NFL passing stats.

Fact is, with the rule changes, too many teams and continued poor policy on pass interference, the NFL's passing stats are watered down as well. Anyone familiar with the CFL understands that the NFL looks more and more like the CFL every year-the smallish receivers like Smith, the mobile QBs, more passes..Deal with it. ;D

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 01:45:01 PM »
Doug Flutie......

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 01:53:46 PM »
And yet for all the rhetoric & chest thumping, the NFL itself is diluted. Too many teams, not enough quality talent + many passing rule changes = watered-down NFL passing stats.

Fact is, with the rule changes, too many teams and continued poor policy on pass interference, the NFL's passing stats are watered down as well. Anyone familiar with the CFL understands that the NFL looks more and more like the CFL every year-the smallish receivers like Smith, the mobile QBs, more passes..Deal with it. ;D

Nothing to deal with other the desperate rantings of "anything anti-american"  Blow hard.   You can do better this, can't you "tiger?"   Oh wow speaking of Tiger....  anyways....

There isn't a player in the Canadian football league that wouldn't want to be able to play and compete in the NFL period.

Its the big show.  Not the watered down light beer of proffessional sports.

You can talk all you want about the rules or style, fact is, NO ONE gives a shit but canadians.  NFL rules.  Period.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 02:21:12 PM »
Nothing to deal with other the desperate rantings of "anything anti-american"  Blow hard.   You can do better this, can't you "tiger?"   Oh wow speaking of Tiger....  anyways....

There isn't a player in the Canadian football league that wouldn't want to be able to play and compete in the NFL period.

You can talk all you want about the rules or style, fact is, NO ONE gives a shit but canadians.  NFL rules.  Period.

The CFL isn't real football no matter how Pumpster tries to spin it.
The House that Ruth built

Havenbull

• Getbig IV
  • Damn it
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 03:42:52 PM »
hahahahahaha the CFL hahahahahahahahahaahahah ahah

oh christ hahalolololhahahahaololo lol

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 05:47:58 PM »

Man you are a consistent know-nothing. There *are* players who would rather be in Canada; try Ricky Williams, you knucklehead. I knew before he went that he would prefer the culture. Something you wouldn't get though. ;)

PSSSST....the "Big Show" has been watered down for decades man..which cave have you been living in? Ask anyone with larger perspectives-educate yourself on the fact that it's become NFL LITE - you think that was a good Super Bowl, with quality teams? hahahaahahahahahahah JUST IN CASE YOU GUY'S DIDN'T GET IT THE FIRST TIME, THE NFL GAME HAS BEEN GETTING MORE AND MORE LIKE THE CFL FOR YEARS NOW-MORE PASSING, SMALLER RECEIVERS MORE COMMON, SCRAMBLING QBs - EVERYTHING THE CFL's DONE SINCE THE 70s..hahahaahahahh Deal with it..

Tiger's been on a tear inspired by the death of his Dad. Get back to me in 6 months when he's down in the dumps again, you obviously can't comprehend that he's about as erratic as it gets. 

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 05:56:23 PM »
Man you are a consistent know-nothing. There *are* players who would rather be in Canada; try Ricky Williams, you knucklehead. I knew before he went that he would prefer the culture. Something you wouldn't get though. ;)
Lol, it's because he's suspended in the NFL and there's no "real" drug policy in the CFL. ::)

Psssssst....the "Big Show" has been watered down for decades man..Where have you been? Ask anyone with larger persepctives than someone with your short attention span-educate yourself on the fact that it's become NFL LITE - you think that was a good Super Bowl, with good teams? hahahaahahahahahahah
That's why the Big Show, although NFL football is almost exclusively broadcast in the USA only, still gets attention from over 20 countries each year and that's for people who don't even watch NFL football! If it's so "watered down" then why would the broadcast be bought by these international stations?

Tiger's been on a tear inspired by the death of his Dad. Get back to me in 6 months when he's down in the dumps again, you obviously can't comprehend that he's about as erratic as it gets.  ::)
It's probably what he needed to re dedicate himself to the sport that his father believed he would dominate. And don't forget his mother is still alive. What' going to happen when whe goes next?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 06:05:01 PM »
Lol, it's because he's suspended in the NFL and there's no "real" drug policy in the CFL.
If you were up on what he said, what he thinks about being in one of North America's most significant cities Toronto, has nothing to do with being suspended. What he's talked about is quality of life, which is what some other players have said when up there-something none of the myopic right-wing Americans on this board are aware of.

That's why the Big Show, although NFL football is almost exclusively broadcast in the USA only, still gets attention from over 20 countries each year and that's for people who don't even watch NFL football! If it's so "watered down" then why would the broadcast be bought by these international stations?
All the major sports including Rugby & Cricket are televised. Nothin' special there.

It's probably what he needed to re dedicate himself to the sport that his father believed he would dominate. And don't forget his mother is still alive. What' going to happen when whe goes next?
Just as he's doing now, Tiger might pull another Buster Douglas when she goes, though the father seems to have been the bigger influence.

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 06:12:06 PM »
no question that the NFL has better plyers(and im canadian)...but still an amazing feat. over 70,000 yards is a hell of a lot no matter if your in the NFL or CFL.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 06:14:53 PM »
Incredible how much the NFL has copied and looks like the CFL over the last 10-20 years:

-Much more passing

-Mobile QBs that virtually never existed previously-in the past those QBs would have been forced to convert to DB or go to Canada to play.

-Smallish receivers in vogue.

-2-point conversion.

-More linebackers & DBs as a consequence of passing.

-Retractible roof stadiums-first north american pro stadium happened 20 years ago, in Toronto.

-That Flutie drop-kick that got so much press last year was right out of the CFL; that's where he got the idea.

Just like the CFL's been doing for oh, 30 years...? hahahaahahahah

None of the geniuses here even know that for decades NFL GMs have wanted to lengthen the end zones, to encourage red-zone passing as seen in the CFL. They can't change it, because it would compromise seat revenue.
 ;D  ;D ;D

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 06:31:20 PM »
Ricky don't prefer the culture, he's just happy he can smoke and not have his balls busted.... f**k name 10 players in the CFL that could hang inthe nfl... and your posting this guy playing quarterback like his numbers are impressive... If my eyes werent mistaking me it said it took him 22 years to achieve this.... Holy f*ck that should clue you in on how
watered down your league is... I dont believe we have an active player who has 20 years still playing... what a shitty league when your so hurt for players you have to take the NFL's shit hole uncommited lazy ass RB....and put your hopes on a QB that has been playing for 22 years.... F*CK I'll ask all the guys in here one time what does CANADA KNOW ABOUT FOOTBALL...... JACK SHIT should be the normal response.....haha MOTHER CANUCKERS give me a break....

22 years and never made the move up to the big leauges wow.....

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 07:16:02 PM »
Ricky don't prefer the culture, he's just happy he can smoke and not have his balls busted.... f**k name 10 players in the CFL that could hang inthe nfl... and your posting this guy playing quarterback like his numbers are impressive... If my eyes werent mistaking me it said it took him 22 years to achieve this.... Holy f*ck that should clue you in on how
watered down your league is... I dont believe we have an active player who has 20 years still playing... what a shitty league when your so hurt for players you have to take the NFL's shit hole uncommited lazy ass RB....and put your hopes on a QB that has been playing for 22 years.... F*CK I'll ask all the guys in here one time what does CANADA KNOW ABOUT FOOTBALL...... JACK SHIT should be the normal response.....haha MOTHER CANUCKERS give me a break....

22 years and never made the move up to the big leauges wow.....

::)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2006, 11:01:15 PM »
The CFL what a JOke. Mobile QB's please..lets look at the last five SB winners..Dilfer/Brady/Johnson/Brady/Brady/Rothelisberger..these guys are running all over the place ::). Vick is a joke and is the worst QB in the league. Great football player but horrible QB. Moss and TO still dominate the WR postion. Yes Smith has done well but there is hardly any movement to a smaller receiver set. The drop kick was old NFL football. Belicheck is a Pro football historian and wanted to do something interesting. Do not compare your brand of football to ours. When a scrambling qb wins a SB then come talk to me.....
L

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 11:27:08 PM »
Incredible how much the NFL has copied and looks like the CFL over the last 10-20 years:

-Much more passing

-Mobile QBs that virtually never existed previously-in the past those QBs would have been forced to convert to DB or go to Canada to play.

-Smallish receivers in vogue.

-2-point conversion.

-More linebackers & DBs as a consequence of passing.

-Retractible roof stadiums-first north american pro stadium happened 20 years ago, in Toronto.

-That Flutie drop-kick that got so much press last year was right out of the CFL; that's where he got the idea.

My name is plumpster and i need attention.   gargle garlge garlge

None of the geniuses here even know that for decades NFL GMs have wanted to lengthen the end zones, to encourage red-zone passing as seen in the CFL. They can't change it, because it would compromise seat revenue.
;D  ;D ;D

Who gives a Sheee-I-hit where the NFL gets some of it's ideas.  Doesn't change the fact the Canadian Football league is a sub league to the NFL.  So what if they have some good exports?  Point is an export to them is really someone who became too good to play Canadian football.

And Ricky Williams?  Ricky Williams is a stupid dumb ass who smokes too much pot and screwed up a good thing. 

I mean com on, your stupid shit posts are as obvious as the nose on your face.  At least if you want to bring up a stupid point for the purpose of attracting attention to yourself please argue the point with a little more cleverness and competence.   

Tiger woods arguement : Gay

This one:  Gayer

What you should focus on:  Canada has good beer.  Canadians for the most part are friendly good people.  Italian Food in Toronto is good.  Shit, it's excellent.  You got free healthcare!   

Be thankful,  hug an American and tell him you appreciate him and mean it. 

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
  • From the outside looking in you cant understand it
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2006, 11:38:09 PM »
Anyone with half a brain knows the CFL is well below the NFL in terms of talent, and that everyone in the CFL would love to be playing in the NFL. Players on NFL practice squads make as much money as most CFL players

Casey Printers won the league MVP a few years ago and now he's on the practice squad with the KC Chiefs.

But that doesn't mean the football isn't exciting and entertaining and that there aren't quality athletes in the CFL.

Don't knock Damon Allen. He's a great player for a long long time. 70,000 yards is a staggering number in any league. He was also played college baseball.

Please ignore pumpster. he's probably from Ontario.
Go Big Red!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2006, 12:25:29 AM »
Why are you guys even debating this?  This is about as loony as the 9/11 et al. conspiracy theories. 

Headhunter I disagree about Vick.  He's done a good job with a lousy group of WRs.  Other than McNabb in Philly, I can't think of a QB who has had less to work with at WR than Vick.  (Maybe Brees in SD?)  Vick was also a game away from the Super Bowl.  Three-time Pro Bowler.  Set several NFL rushing records.  I think he's probably the most dangerous player in the league since Barry Sanders.

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 05:23:37 AM »
If you were up on what he said, what he thinks about being in one of North America's most significant cities Toronto, has nothing to do with being suspended. What he's talked about is quality of life, which is what some other players have said when up there-something none of the myopic right-wing Americans on this board are aware of.
I'd probably say that too then if I were not in good graces of any country. ::)

All the major sports including Rugby & Cricket are televised. Nothin' special there.
Yeah the Rugby and Cricket World Championships were plastered and promoted on ESPN................lol, and of course America watched. ::)

Just as he's doing now, Tiger might pull another Buster Douglas when she goes, though the father seems to have been the bigger influence.
But until then STFU. You may have opinions, but the reign that Woods holds right now is unparalleled so your opinions are just that of jealousy and hopes of failure. Comparing Woods to Buster Douglas...............pl ease Douglas was lucky when he beat Tyson.........Woods is just GREAT. He was a Champion even before he became a PRO GOLFER.