Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
October 30, 2014, 10:39:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cardio question  (Read 3504 times)
Original Sin
Getbig IV

You fucking disappoint me!

« on: September 05, 2006, 10:54:04 AM »

Okay lets try the board out.

I am posting this here because I am looking for girls advice.  Knny comments are appreciated though  Cheesy
The training board is male dominated and I want to see specifically what the women do.

My new PT was trying to tell me about doing low intensity cardio for long periods of time burns the fat stores faster then HIT training.  He is suggesting 40% - 50% max for a hour min.

I think he is smoking crack...
Report to moderator   Logged

Just Bad Bad Blood!
Fury
Getbig V

All aboard the USS Leverage

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 10:56:45 AM »

I am posting this here because I am looking for girls advice.  Knny comments are appreciated though  Cheesy
The training board is male dominated and I want to see specifically what the women do.

My new PT was trying to tell me about doing low intensity cardio for long periods of time burns the fat stores faster then HIT training.  He is suggesting 40% - 50% max for a hour min.

Aren't the lap dances you give at work enough?
Original Sin
Getbig IV

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 11:05:48 AM »

Well so much for the board  Undecided

Just Bad Bad Blood!
Migs
Getbig V

THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 11:10:42 AM »

i'll ask my sister.  she's done both.  I'll see which she preferres as to results

MMM BOOBIES
Butterbean
Getbig V

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 11:14:55 AM »

I don't really have a very good answer for you other than my trainer made me do hard cardio when I was dieting for a show and I got LEEEEEEEEEAN.

I think she knows what she's doing:

* Adelabnch.jpg (57.75 KB, 480x480 - viewed 240 times.)

R
Fury
Getbig V

All aboard the USS Leverage

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 11:19:28 AM »

I don't really have a very good answer for you other than my trainer made me do hard cardio when I was dieting for a show and I got LEEEEEEEEEAN.

I think she knows what she's doing:

Yeah, I agree.  Grin
Deedee
Getbig V

They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 11:21:55 AM »

It depends... also to get a good explanation would take pages.  But basically while low intensity mobilizes more fat, high intensity burns more calories and slightly more fat overall.
Low intensity cardio is means that the calories you burn are from fat and not other sources.

High intensity cardio is better for people who aren't pre-contest/dieting strenuously and don't care about saving the last bit of muscle. It is also for people who want to stick pins in their eyes if they have to spend long periods of time on a treadmill. High intensity cardio allows you to burn more fat and calories in the same amount of time than low intensity.

Low intensity cardio allows you to burn off fat without wasting muscle at the same time. Burning off 200 calories during low intensity cardio is maybe more helpful than burning the same during high intensity if you are going for pure fat loss.

At least, that's how I get the whole cardio thing... Huh
Migs
Getbig V

THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 06:41:45 AM »

OK so this may sound worse than what i intend but,

I have one sister who is about 5'4" and 118 #'s.  She gets her best results with higher intensity workouts

My other sister is 5'9 - 5'10 and is heavy set.  She benefits most from the lower intensity, but this is mostly due to poor cardiovascular capacity as well as the fact that she is diabetic and it takes longer for her to metabolize fat stores as she has much higher free flowing blood sugar.

I tend to agree with deedee in terms of your desired effect and/or whether this is for contest prep or for general health

MMM BOOBIES
Oldschool Flip
Getbig IV

Eat Balut! High in Protein!

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 02:09:26 PM »

Well he's sort of smoking crack.

Couple things to consider.

Most people that do low intensity cardio for long periods WILL burn fat and save lean muscle, but I believe they do it because they either cannot endure HIT method or have a very low VO2.

The other reason would be physical fitness overall. Although the goal is to be leaner and have less fat, most of the people I see do this method are usually pretty fat or obese so physically it might be too hard to do HIT. Plus the stress on their joints are more of a concern.

IMO any cardio is better than NO CARDIO. But if you are pretty fit, do HIT method at least 2 times a week and moderate cardio for 30 minutes 2-3 times a week to get LEEEEAAAANNN.
The BEAST
Competitors
Getbig IV

She-Beast

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 06:32:33 PM »

My biggest problem with your trainer is he wants you to do this for an hour+ From my experience and things I have learned unless you are getting "help" from certain supplements doing cardio over 45 minutes will start to eat away at that hard earned muscle...

IMO do high intensity stuff (as long as you can handle it with the dieting and you can still lift hard-which I think is more important then cardio) 1-2 times a week and low intensity stuff 3-5 times a week depending on how much you need to lose.  Keep these sessions between 30-45 minutes and I always take BCAA's before and after, not sure if they work but I lost a hell of a lot more muscle last year when I didn't take them and when I was going over 45 minutes per session.

Good Luck Smiley

Jennifer
Laura Lee
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 03:26:27 AM »

My biggest problem with your trainer is he wants you to do this for an hour+ From my experience and things I have learned unless you are getting "help" from certain supplements doing cardio over 45 minutes will start to eat away at that hard earned muscle...

IMO do high intensity stuff (as long as you can handle it with the dieting and you can still lift hard-which I think is more important then cardio) 1-2 times a week and low intensity stuff 3-5 times a week depending on how much you need to lose.  Keep these sessions between 30-45 minutes and I always take BCAA's before and after, not sure if they work but I lost a hell of a lot more muscle last year when I didn't take them and when I was going over 45 minutes per session.

Good Luck Smiley
I agree with Beast, OS. 

Cheesy Weee
Original Sin
Getbig IV

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 06:41:11 AM »

Thanks for all the great answers.  Cheesy

Now I get to go back an poke the guy with a stick and tell him to wake up.  I think I will print the thread and highlight the parts about how it works well for overweight women and then start the conversation by the ever famous "Do I look fat to you?!".  Grin

I just look at new PT's very closely.  I always get the impression they read something  new somewhere and now that is the way things should be done. 
Maybe they all gather up in a little room after hours and think of crazy things to make us do for kicks

Just Bad Bad Blood!
youandme
Getbig V

GET IT

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 08:44:23 PM »

It depends... also to get a good explanation would take pages.  But basically while low intensity mobilizes more fat, high intensity burns more calories and slightly more fat overall.
Low intensity cardio is means that the calories you burn are from fat and not other sources.

High intensity cardio is better for people who aren't pre-contest/dieting strenuously and don't care about saving the last bit of muscle. It is also for people who want to stick pins in their eyes if they have to spend long periods of time on a treadmill. High intensity cardio allows you to burn more fat and calories in the same amount of time than low intensity.

Low intensity cardio allows you to burn off fat without wasting muscle at the same time. Burning off 200 calories during low intensity cardio is maybe more helpful than burning the same during high intensity if you are going for pure fat loss.

At least, that's how I get the whole cardio thing... Huh

Great post.

Original Sin - Best thing to do is take it slow, and maintain what muscle you have and let it do the calorie burning for you. If you have ever noticed the people that spend the most time on the cardio equipments are not all that cut but more stringy looking, and at a loss for real density.
What I tell the women when they ask me and their jobs depend on them to stay lean is going 20 mins and doing intervals 3 mins 50-60% max heart rate, then 40 secs 80% max heart rate. And not pushing it overboard. If you want to increase this increase the resistance but NOT the time, increase the force you exhert but still not the time.

If your going to choose a PT try to get one that's at least practicing what he preaches, and even better someone who has done a contest.

24KT
Getbig V

Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 09:03:33 PM »

STella, all you really need to know is cardio is da debil!  Grin

My vote is low intensity and low impact if that helps.

w
rotiron
Getbig II

Getbig!

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 07:24:43 AM »

While we are on cardio, I have a question.  Does anyone know if they make those hand weights that have a handle on them?  I had a pair back in the '80s and used them while I was walking.  I called them "heavy hands", don't remember if that was their marketing name, but I cannot find them in any stores.  I preferred them over the usual weights because the handles allowed me to hold 2 in my hands when I was doing certain arm extensions while walking. 
youandme
Getbig V

GET IT

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 09:52:29 AM »

While we are on cardio, I have a question.  Does anyone know if they make those hand weights that have a handle on them?  I had a pair back in the '80s and used them while I was walking.  I called them "heavy hands", don't remember if that was their marketing name, but I cannot find them in any stores.  I preferred them over the usual weights because the handles allowed me to hold 2 in my hands when I was doing certain arm extensions while walking. 

They now make the strap on with velcro kind they are called velcrogrips for the hands and ankles.

Should be able to find them at Wal Mart or most likely a sporting goods store
rotiron
Getbig II

Getbig!

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 02:11:48 PM »

Thanks youandme will look for those weights.  Another question to toss out, do you recommend using ankle weights on a walking program.  I walk 45-60 minutes averaging a 12-13 minute mile (figure if I'm going to walk, best to get it out of the way).  What are the benefits of ankle weights?
ToxicAvenger
Getbig V

I thawt I taw a twat!

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2006, 02:18:56 PM »

quick 2 cents...if ya google medline and do a quick search you'll see what kinda training works best..

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=medline

anyhow..when i used to do cardio it ws 30 mins of uphill windsprints..HARD...and now a days is the first time in my life since 15 that i have no abs (which is great..but i dont ttrain any more)

carpe` vaginum!
Articulate Bodies
Pros
Getbig II

www.articulatebodies.com Chaundra Tangi, IFBB Pro

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2006, 02:38:49 PM »

Hi,
I am very new to the boards, but I am a IFBB Pro and have been a trainer for 10 years, so I thought this would be a good place to start  Smiley

I'm sure most would agree that it depends on your goals.

Lower intensity (but I usually go with 50-55% MAX), for 40-60 minutes per session is definatly best for someone who is trying to maintain as much muscle as possible. I am very small, and can never afford to lose muscle; For my last show, I started my contest prep only 7 months after having my son, so I thought I should increase my intensity to make sure I got the baby weight off. What I ended up doing is burning a lot of muscle in the process. So I came in at only 102 lbs (normal contest weight is 108-111) Although I was ripped- some judges say I was too hard- I was also too tiny! I'm usually in or close to the top 10 and I placed 16th...Very frustrating! Anyway, if you are not as concerned with maintaining muscle, than high intensity or interval work is the most effecient.

Kiss Kiss Kiss
Laura Lee
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2006, 02:49:52 PM »

Hi,
I am very new to the boards, but I am a IFBB Pro and have been a trainer for 10 years, so I thought this would be a good place to start  Smiley

I'm sure most would agree that it depends on your goals.

Lower intensity (but I usually go with 50-55% MAX), for 40-60 minutes per session is definatly best for someone who is trying to maintain as much muscle as possible. I am very small, and can never afford to lose muscle; For my last show, I started my contest prep only 7 months after having my son, so I thought I should increase my intensity to make sure I got the baby weight off. What I ended up doing is burning a lot of muscle in the process. So I came in at only 102 lbs (normal contest weight is 108-111) Although I was ripped- some judges say I was too hard- I was also too tiny! I'm usually in or close to the top 10 and I placed 16th...Very frustrating! Anyway, if you are not as concerned with maintaining muscle, than high intensity or interval work is the most effecient.

Kiss Kiss Kiss
Welcome aboard AB  Cheesy

Cheesy Weee
youandme
Getbig V

GET IT

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2006, 02:54:16 PM »

Thanks youandme will look for those weights.  Another question to toss out, do you recommend using ankle weights on a walking program.  I walk 45-60 minutes averaging a 12-13 minute mile (figure if I'm going to walk, best to get it out of the way).  What are the benefits of ankle weights?
You walk for pleasure, leisure and health right? So make it fun and change it up

Both have benefits, with wrists weights you can work your upper body by providing the extra weight.
With the ankle weights you can work your entire leg muscles and include more hip and lower back support.
Also increase connective tissue strength in women which is good.

But only use when walking and doing stair exercises, also your form has to be good when using additional weights, brisk walking no more, if you run weights can increase injury risk cause it throws off your mechanics.
Butterbean
Getbig V

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2006, 04:04:00 PM »

Articulate Bodies, good to have you here Smiley

R
Laura Lee
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2006, 04:16:30 PM »

STella...what do ya think of my new avatar?   Cheesy

Cheesy Weee
Articulate Bodies
Pros
Getbig II

www.articulatebodies.com Chaundra Tangi, IFBB Pro

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2006, 04:42:49 PM »

Thanks guys! This could be fun  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!