Author Topic: doing front and rear squats in the same workout  (Read 2050 times)

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
doing front and rear squats in the same workout
« on: September 11, 2006, 11:38:54 PM »
hey guys
I was curious, do you guys ever do both front and back squats in the same workout session?? I was thinking about doing :

leg ext
squats
front squats
leg press

or is doing both  types of squats too much for your body to handle in one day??

thanks guys

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
Re: doing front and rear squats in the same workout
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 03:32:37 AM »
No problem,
but I would recommend doing the press for the frontsquat.

Most people can't go heavy with the front cause it's difficult to handle the bar, instead do a couple of extra reps.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 08:22:27 AM »
Take advantage of the squat by doing both in a workout. Keep the sets to 2-3 each.  With the front squat, raise the heels on a 2X4, 45lbs plates, etc. More focus will be put on the lower quads (teardrop affect..always impressive).

The front squat is an exercise that requires learning how to do it at first,  but well worth the effort. Main problem tends to be the flexability in the shoulders, wrist and keeping the elbows high during the lift, for most BB'ers. After a few workouts on the front squat it will become more natural to you. 300-400 rack front squats, in a lot of heavy duty gyms, are common. Can cross the arm's or just rest the bar on the front delts (may need some extra muscle in the area though for padding) after getting use to the movement.  Seen some Olympic lifters do over 500-600 off a power rack. (If you can do 350 pound squat ceans in a regular workout you are indeed a man)

If you seek adventure (and some outstanding legs) than you might add BB Hack squats to any leg program. A favorite exercise of mine, consider it a reverse DL with more attention to the quads than the regular DL. Putting a 2X4, etc, under the heels also direct's more focus to the lower quads. Like the front squat. Good luck.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 11:16:11 AM »
I do them together all the time...as stated above, ditch the leg press. you should be able to completely stimulate and destroy your quads with back squats, front squats and leg extensions in one session...

8)

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 11:35:17 AM »
I do them together all the time...as stated above, ditch the leg press. you should be able to completely stimulate and destroy your quads with back squats, front squats and leg extensions in one session...

8)
same here. But every leg workout is different. If I did both in the same workout I do as he said, and ditch the leg presses.
bodybuildersreality.com

BigWhoop

• Getbig II
  • Like I care...hahahahha
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 11:52:55 AM »
That workout looks good to me. If you want to really tax your legs, after all that go ahead and do two sets of lunges.
They call me Jaejonna!!!

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 01:00:16 PM »
same here. But every leg workout is different. If I did both in the same workout I do as he said, and ditch the leg presses.

I like to change the order around as well...

these two are my favorites for quads and i hate the smith machine but for front squats it's great...

workout 1 - i prefer 3-4 sets per exercise after warmups

Back squats - 6-10 reps
Front squats in a smith - 10-20 reps
Leg extensions

workout 2

leg extensions
Free standing front squats - 6-10 reps
Back squats - 4 sets of 20(great workout)

8)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 01:21:12 PM »
i alternate between type of squat from workout to workout

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 10:24:03 PM »
i alternate between type of squat from workout to workout
Same here, I love doing front or regular squats in the beginning of the workout.

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 03:51:37 PM »
yea thats a good idea i would do the back squats heavy and the front squats for sets of ten following..
herers my two routines i switch up
barbell squats 10-8
dumbell squats 3x10
or
barbell front squats 10-10
walking dumbell lunges 3x set distance

barbell hack squats are a good exersize but are a bitch sometimes u lose your footing during a set.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 04:05:27 PM »
hey guys
I was curious, do you guys ever do both front and back squats in the same workout session?? I was thinking about doing :

leg ext
squats
front squats
leg press

or is doing both  types of squats too much for your body to handle in one day??

thanks guys
here's what i used to do when i was doing front squats, i would work up to my heaviest weight set on regular squats which at that time was around 500 for 6 then i'd strip the weight to 225 and start front squatting for some rerason the weight always felt light and i'd do 225,275 and 315 and call it a day there, try it.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 09:23:10 PM »
I like this thread! There's defeinetely no one else in my gym but me who does front squats and barbell hack squats! Also, to answer your question, I do both front and back squats in the same workout and they make a great team in destroying your quads! You can feel how they both effect your quads differently, doing them back to back.

Actually, I've never done front squats before back squats. Overload has motivated me to try that! Legs are in 2 days!
~

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 03:54:41 AM »
If you want to have quadzilla thighs that follow a routine that my friend went by for stupendous thighs:

Squats 16 sets
front squats 4 sets

all for 10-20 reps.

doesn't have to be a lot of weight anywhere from 200-250 with abou 1min to 1 min and half of rest.

try this and you will know why grown men cry.
That's like GVTx2
 :D

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 03:56:00 AM »
If you want to have quadzilla thighs that follow a routine that my friend went by for stupendous thighs:

Squats 16 sets
front squats 4 sets

all for 10-20 reps.

doesn't have to be a lot of weight anywhere from 200-250 with abou 1min to 1 min and half of rest.

try this and you will know why grown men cry.

alexxx you suck.... here's a new workout for you... shut the hell up... hope this helps