Author Topic: how many of you take time off from TRAINING..  (Read 2437 times)

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
how many of you take time off from TRAINING..
« on: September 14, 2006, 10:41:09 AM »
how many of you guys actually take a few weeks off from training.what i do is train for 4 or 5 months straight and then take 2 weeks totally off from training.and this actaully helped me because when you start fresh from a break of 2 weeks you really tend to lift heavier and train smart..i have experienced this and it did help me alot..so many of you guys take time off from training
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
Re: how many of you take time off from TRAINING..
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 12:12:26 PM »
I usually take a day off every 2 days of training but If i feel good I train. If i feel shitty i don't. If your body and mind feels like its burning out take some time off. Don't be afraid that you won't ever be back...if you'll truly love training you'll be able to stay away for just the right amount of time your body needs. take care.
bodybuildersreality.com

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 03:08:00 PM »
i take about 2-3 weeks off a year total... either for my vacation or if i am very sick

KingCol

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 02:34:05 PM »
Usually not by choice.  In a perfect world It's definatly a good idea.  Its good to take a break to get motivated as well because you feel GUILTY and get soft when you don't.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 04:50:10 PM »
I have been contemplaining taking one week off every four months. Last time I took off two weeks, when I came back I felt that I took too long, one week would have been perfect.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 09:13:54 PM »
If the training is intense then I usually have a deload week every 4 weeks, and then one week off every 16 weeks.

This keeps me fresh and hungry to train.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 08:08:12 AM »
I'm usually on a 6 to 8 week cycle (Power rack, GVT, general lifting, etc) through out a planned year. Will take off one or two weeks after each cycle ends. This will change if I get the chance to go to Mexico or the Islands, always time off for that. As FlexTons said, leaves one fresh and hungry to train again after a short break. Enthusiam is higher than ever. Not only does the body good but also the mental approach. Which, in a way, can be more important than the physical. Good Luck.

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 08:08:54 AM »
i just took off a week cause of an ear infection and stomach virus...got back into the gym yesterday to work out my shoulders. turns out my military press went up!! only a couple reps but still. ive had this same effect from taking off a week from past injuries.

but dont just take a whole week off id say save it for when you really need a while off like vacation, injuries, sickness, etc.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 09:39:04 AM »
I took 2 weeks off recently for a few reasons.  One, I had just finished a rather intense 12-week training cycle (lots of powerlifting, low reps, high rest periods) so I was planning to take a week off before starting my DC program.  Two, I had to take ten days off to let the tattoo that I just got heal properly.  Now I'm good to go.

LASTREP72

• Getbig III
  • STANZO-20 stayin crisp, tight, and strong!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 01:53:53 AM »
how many of you guys actually take a few weeks off from training.what i do is train for 4 or 5 months straight and then take 2 weeks totally off from training.and this actaully helped me because when you start fresh from a break of 2 weeks you really tend to lift heavier and train smart..i have experienced this and it did help me alot..so many of you guys take time off from training
Currently I'm training the Dorian Yates\Ronnie Coleman style (But not the 2X a week\body part shit in the case of big Ron) - and I do this for 3-4 weeks straight then rest for one week and train on tues and thursday of that week doing HST (whole body workouts with 12-15 reps) they call this active rest. Dorian used to talk about rest allot in some of his siminars and how important it was espcially if you are a natty. Some folks can go for 8 weeks straight but I have learned to listen to my body.
I'm Rick James BITCH!!!

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 05:59:33 AM »
I've been on a break from training since the beginning of May, I'm starting up again in two weeks time. I've only lost 25lbs in that time and I've retained a lot of size. My bodyfat levels are roughly the same, possibly better. It's the only lay-off I've had in 13 years of training.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 07:35:00 AM »
I've been on a break from training since the beginning of May, I'm starting up again in two weeks time. I've only lost 25lbs in that time and I've retained a lot of size. My bodyfat levels are roughly the same, possibly better. It's the only lay-off I've had in 13 years of training.

clean?

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 08:08:30 AM »
Totally clean - I was juicing up until April but stopped and now it should all be out my system. I was only using stuff with short half-lives at the time - mostly d-bol.

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 09:46:13 AM »
You need to take time off for your whole body to recuperate. Currently I take Wed and Sunday off When I go on vacation for a week I take that week off.  Or if I get the flu or something.  Generally no more than 1 week every five months or so.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 07:33:21 AM »
I rest every Wednesday, saturday and Sunday! In December I take 4 days off and in August I take 8 days off and that's it!
S

stealth_swimmer

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 12:10:17 PM »
I take two weeks off for every two months of training. This keeps me out of overtraining and gets me even more fired up for when I hit the gym again. I pretty much need this rest since I'm notorious for doing more than what I should when I go to the gym.

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2006, 05:41:27 AM »
I will only take time off from the gym (haven't touched a weight since end of March!!) when i'm seriously sick.My training schedule however always leaves me the week ends free that I spend w/my wife & kids which also keeps me rejuvenated for the coming week back to the weights imo.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2006, 05:30:01 PM »
yo vacation next week.... no weights for me... nothing but 12on curls!!!!!