Author Topic: Is Intenseone a closet Canadian liberal?  (Read 5235 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Is Intenseone a closet Canadian liberal?
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2006, 05:49:54 PM »
Lol, true. Starting with our love for Holt Renfrew.  ;D

Well that's just a given! What red blooded Canadian girl could resist Holts?  :D
Deedee, I used to live right at Bay/Bloor, so Holt Renfrew and Creeds were my favourite places to shop.
I miss having such fabulous shopping a stone's throw from my place. When my arms got full, i could just throw the stuff in my apartment, then go back for more, ...now it's a 40 minutes drive down the highway, and I have to fight for parking.  :'(

Hard to believe I came from such a conservo family.  Once he gets started it's usually this  ::) for the first hour, then gradually my feelings about his politics move to  :'(. So yeah, I usually try to keep out of those discussions.  :)

I can imagine. It's really freaky hearing people you know love & respect on so many issues say something that just makes you go "Whoa, I can't believe they just said that, ...and mean it too!"  :o
w

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2006, 07:25:41 PM »
What's wrong with being a Canadian liberal  ???

DeeDee, I guess the three musketeers (240, jag, and the wyoming kid) have painted me as a right wing, bush adoring warmonger . . . but I thought that the general thrust of my posts would counter that.

Another factor might have thrown you off is that I'm nice and generally polite to conservatives like Stella and Beach Bum (for the most part) . . . This is easy to explain, I find them to be reasonable and polite, unlike jag or Berserker. 240 used to be polite and funny before he turned into a honking loon on this board, so I have to counter him.

Most of the Bush-haters on this board are exactly that, haters . . . and so I don't want any part of them.

I am also somewhat put out by people of Middle Eastern/Muslim heritage who come on here and act like they're neutral and have a moral high ground, and that any reasonable person can see that the Middle East and Radical Islam are fine and wonderful. I've been in some ugly situations b/c of Radical Islam (and other crazies), and I do not buy that for one second.  We are not crazy to be wary or even proactive, and while I do not agree with everything the President has done, I can see where he's coming from.

I'm a fan of western-style democracies, and I don't want to see them undermined.

B/c of my personal background, I am very respectful of those who serve/served w pride in our armed forces. I have never posted that we should engage in war just b/c we can . . . although, unlike some, I believe it has its place in society. 

I have posted extensively about my disapproval of warrantless wiretapping and other usurpations of what I believe are constitutional rights, although it suits some here to forget about it.

I also do not hold with those who think that anyone who wants to come to the US should be let in. There are things that make our country great, and we should let people in who appreciate that greatness, and can do their bit to further it.

I also do not think we should allow people in who we can't look after. Read: I believe some people need looking after.

Beach Bum thinks I'm something of a racist b/c I quoted the Moynihan Report at him . . . but I don't believe that the genetic inferiority of races has been proved (or if it is even relevant any more), and the only potential presidential candidate I've consistently expressed interest in and support for is Barack Obama.

I argued extensively w Beach Bum about gay marriage.

I believe in the rule of law.

I think if people actually read my posts and didn't make assumptions, it would be pretty clear where my sympathies lie.

Finally, I don't suffer fools.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2006, 07:35:02 PM »

Beach Bum thinks I'm something of a racist b/c I quoted the Moynihan Report at him . . . but the only potential presidential candidate I've consistently expressed interest in and support for is Barack Obama.

I never called you a racist.  You might be, but I don't know you.  You're not as blatant as someone like "sarcasm."  His racism doesn't bother me.  I'm more concerned with smart, educated people like you who have race issues. 

For the record, I had a big problem with (among other things) your comments about black athletes and then black men in general.  Had nothing to do with any report.  You have made several comments painting blacks with a broad brush.  That doesn't make you a racist, but it sure makes you sound like one.  But I've got no beef with you generally. 

As an aside, I think the Republican party has race issues.  Just a disproportionate number of bigots in that party.  It bothers me.   

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2006, 07:44:53 PM »
I never called you a racist.  You might be, but I don't know you.  You're not as blatant as someone like "sarcasm."  His racism doesn't bother me.  I'm more concerned with smart, educated people like you who have race issues. 

For the record, I had a big problem with (among other things) your comments about black athletes and then black men in general.  Had nothing to do with any report.  You have made several comments painting blacks with a broad brush.  That doesn't make you a racist, but it sure makes you sound like one.  But I've got no beef with you generally. 

As an aside, I think the Republican party has race issues.  Just a disproportionate number of bigots in that party.  It bothers me.   

I have a problem w bigots too, and in hindsight I would not post what I did/or post it differently. I think the MR identified a problem 40 years ago that still hasn't been addressed.  It is a problem whose outlines can still be clearly demarcated, and we haven't really come up w a solution . . . perhaps b/c, as you point out, we have too many bigots in power.

I wouldn't say that I'm completely free of personal issues regarding race, but I am conscious of them, and make an effort to counter them. Like I said, I used to work w underprivileged people . . . and after a while, I started to "profile," and I don't think I've quite shaken that tendency yet.

I slightly edited my previous post to make my position more clear.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2006, 07:52:27 PM »
I have a problem w bigots too, and in hindsight I think I would have not posted what I did/or posted it differently. I think the MR identified a problem 40 years ago that still hasn't been addressed.  It is a problem whose outlines can still be clearly demarcated, and we haven't really come up w a solution . . . perhaps, b/c as you point out, we have too many bigots in power.

I wouldn't say that I'm completely free of personal issues regarding race, but I am conscious of them, and make an effort to counter them. Like I said, I used to work w underprivileged people . . . and after a while, I started to "profile," and I don't think I've quite shaken that tendency yet.

Dude, regardless of your issues, I respect you.  Well said.  Very admirable of you to recognize issues and try to work through them. 

You shouldn't develop a profile based on time spent with underprivileged (read poor) people.  The more you interact with people of all income and education levels, the more you see trends associated with income and education, not race.  Educated people speak a different language.  For example tell a poor, uneducated person they are "protesting too much" about something and you might get a blank stare, whereas that same comment to an educated person should have them immediately thinking "me thinks the queen doth protest too much."   :) 

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2006, 07:54:41 PM »
I have a problem w bigots too, and in hindsight I would not post what I did/or post it differently. I think the MR identified a problem 40 years ago that still hasn't been addressed.  It is a problem whose outlines can still be clearly demarcated, and we haven't really come up w a solution . . . perhaps, b/c as you point out, we have too many bigots in power.

I slightly edited my previous post to make my position more clear.

Hmmm, I never really noticed any racist posts from you. I think if you know that you have some issues and are trying to counter them that is great.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2006, 08:01:21 PM »

WoW. You just went up a few notches in my book.  :)
w

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2006, 08:02:32 PM »
Thank you, BB & CQ . . . i just wanted to make sure people knew where I stood.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2006, 08:09:50 PM »
WoW. You just went up a few notches in my book.  :)

have you read our constitution, or are you just going to define "treason" as you please?

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2006, 08:11:50 PM »
DeeDee, I guess the three musketeers (240, jag, and the wyoming kid) have painted me as a right wing, bush adoring warmonger . . . but I thought that the general thrust of my posts would counter that.

They do. The only impression I've gotten from you is that of an intelligent man with a dry sense of humor. I should have used the smiley icon instead of the question mark at the end of my post...but I did take this thread in the spirit with which it was posted... as a tongue-in-cheek poking of I-one. Also, I never take Canada poking to heart, even when our beloved health care system is being maligned.  :) Having lived near the border all my life and zipping back and forth, it's been mostly my experience that the citizens of both countries share a lot in common. So please don't feel shy about poking us at will... it's all part of the fun.  ;D

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2006, 08:13:27 PM »
Educated people speak a different language.  For example tell a poor, uneducated person they are "protesting too much" about something and you might get a blank stare, whereas that same comment to an educated person should have them immediately thinking "me thinks the queen doth protest too much."   :) 

Actually Beach, not to be picky, but the correct quote is "The lady doth protest too much. Methinks."

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2006, 08:18:11 PM »
a little clarification is good for the soul :)

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2006, 07:47:53 AM »
Chris, you'd be surprised what DeeDee and I have in common, ...but I won't speak for DeeDee.

I think if she let loose on you one day, ...it would make your head spin. {lol},  but she avoids discussion of politics 'cause if she wanted that, ...she could always listen to her Dad.  ;)

The only thing you two have in common is you both are Canadian hotties. ;)
The House that Ruth built

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2006, 08:44:05 AM »

Okay, we'll take that.  :) Plus we both like to "liberally" shop our guts out. Btw, you are a fine, fine American. Too bad we never have Can/Am appreciation threads.  :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2006, 09:27:43 AM »
Actually Beach, not to be picky, but the correct quote is "The lady doth protest too much. Methinks."

Thanks for the clarification.  I should have added, "or words to that effect."   :)

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2006, 09:41:27 AM »
Okay, we'll take that.  :) Plus we both like to "liberally" shop our guts out. Btw, you are a fine, fine American. Too bad we never have Can/Am appreciation threads.  :)

Shop your guts out huh? My 11 year old daughter would love to hang with you two. I took her to spend a gift certicate she got for Kohls. She said she wanted to get some Sesame Street stuff or something like that. Then she says to me. "Daddy, I decided to get make up instead". How do you go from getting Bert and Ernie stuff to make up in the space of 10 minutes? ???

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2006, 04:25:03 PM »

A compliment? ??? OK, good enough.  :D
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2006, 04:28:52 PM »
Shop your guts out huh? My 11 year old daughter would love to hang with you two. I took her to spend a gift certicate she got for Kohls. She said she wanted to get some Sesame Street stuff or something like that. Then she says to me. "Daddy, I decided to get make up instead". How do you go from getting Bert and Ernie stuff to make up in the space of 10 minutes? ???

{LOL} Welcome to the world of the tween. It just keeps getting even more bizarre {evil laughter}

Wait til she starts getting into BOYS!  {pssst} you know that's the next step don't cha?  :P
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2006, 04:41:04 PM »

Great idea DeeDee!

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=96480.0
w

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2006, 08:21:47 PM »
I'm not Canadian and I'm not Liberal and if I was either I'd suck on a gun barrel!

Hope this clarifies things!

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2006, 05:56:04 AM »
{LOL} Welcome to the world of the tween. It just keeps getting even more bizarre {evil laughter}

Wait til she starts getting into BOYS!  {pssst} you know that's the next step don't cha?  :P

Know what she also did on that trip? She got her daddy to pay for the stuff she got instead of using her own coin. Must be instinctive.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2006, 04:08:18 PM »
Know what she also did on that trip? She got her daddy to pay for the stuff she got instead of using her own coin. Must be instinctive.

{ROTFLMAO} She's coming along very nicely.  :P
Pretty soon we'll have to give her her very own membership card into the club.  ;D

{psst} Wait til she turns 16, ...and wants to have one of Daddy's credit cards in her name.
w

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2006, 07:00:56 PM »
{ROTFLMAO} She's coming along very nicely.  :P
Pretty soon we'll have to give her her very own membership card into the club.  ;D

{psst} Wait til she turns 16, ...and wants to have one of Daddy's credit cards in her name.

Don't go filling her impressionable mind with ideas you naughty girl! ;)

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2006, 07:53:12 PM »
Don't go filling her impressionable mind with ideas you naughty girl! ;)

:o  You actually let her read these boards?

...besides, she HAS to have one. What happens if one day she's out on a date with a boy, ...and he turns out to be ....a Democrat disguised as a Republican?  :o  The poor thing is gonna need to get away fast, call a cab or something.  Or what if she's driving down the road, and her car breaks down, and she needs to rent a hotel room so the Dems don't get her. You wouldn't want your baby girl at the side of the road, at the mercy of who might show up to assist her. He could be ...a Liberal Democrat.  :o  She could fall in love with him, ...then you've had liberal Democratic blood coursing through the veins of your grandbabies.  :o

Dude, just save yourself a lot of grief. Give here the credit card already   ;)
w