Author Topic: 200 pounds = how many grams protein per day required?  (Read 27520 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: 200 pounds = how many grams protein per day required?
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2006, 06:06:08 PM »
I'd be happy to pass the message along just as soon as I find your abs.

Nice try, truncating my post to take your pot-shot. You do realize that you can have visible abs without being ripped to the bone.

Now, the question was how many grams of protein do you need if you weigh 200 lbs. Since I happen to weigh well over that mark (230), I can give a good answer.

I would say at a minimum 1 lb. per pound of bodweight (overall, not just lean bodyweight). The reason is simple: If you're an ectomorph, like me, it's much better to err on the side of MORE protein than less.

Also, you must take into consideration your age. I've been at this weight when I was in my 20s. Now, I'm in my 30s. I have found that I do not need as many calories or as much protein now as I did 10 years ago. Back in the day, I would have pushed the marked more towards 2 grams per pound of bodyweight. Now, I'm between 1 and 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight.

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2006, 10:15:44 PM »
Nice try, truncating my post to take your pot-shot. You do realize that you can have visible abs without being ripped to the bone.

Now, the question was how many grams of protein do you need if you weigh 200 lbs. Since I happen to weigh well over that mark (230), I can give a good answer.

I would say at a minimum 1 lb. per pound of bodweight (overall, not just lean bodyweight). The reason is simple: If you're an ectomorph, like me, it's much better to err on the side of MORE protein than less.

Also, you must take into consideration your age. I've been at this weight when I was in my 20s. Now, I'm in my 30s. I have found that I do not need as many calories or as much protein now as I did 10 years ago. Back in the day, I would have pushed the marked more towards 2 grams per pound of bodyweight. Now, I'm between 1 and 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight.

awesome keep it up.  Don't be discouraged by your ever increasing fat stores.  Morbid obesity is just the start, one day you can be mega obese.  Just stick with your diet and don't pay attention to the mirror.

(nothing)

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2006, 04:31:21 AM »
i would say 1 gram per pound is the general rule of thumb.

i have read that you only need .8-1.2 per lbs of muscle. so say at 200 you are 20% BF you would need 144-216 grams of protein a day. i would say spread to at least 5 meals a day.

from what i have read/heard protein breaks down into amino acids and AA are the building blocks of muscle. they help repair tissue damage. this is why people say to drink a shake after working out because your body can assimilate the whey faster thus increasing your potential for recovery.

but what do i know?
fat till furthe

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2006, 02:39:55 PM »

but what do i know?

(nothing)

Rob 100g is more than enough for someone your size really 75 would be fine.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2006, 06:51:58 PM »
awesome keep it up.  Don't be discouraged by your ever increasing fat stores.  Morbid obesity is just the start, one day you can be mega obese.  Just stick with your diet and don't pay attention to the mirror.

I will stick with my diet, as it's helping get bigger, stronger, and leaner (according to the mirror to which you erroneously claim I pay no attention).

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2006, 07:19:10 PM »
i would say 1 gram per pound is the general rule of thumb.

i have read that you only need .8-1.2 per lbs of muscle. so say at 200 you are 20% BF you would need 144-216 grams of protein a day. i would say spread to at least 5 meals a day.

from what i have read/heard protein breaks down into amino acids and AA are the building blocks of muscle. they help repair tissue damage. this is why people say to drink a shake after working out because your body can assimilate the whey faster thus increasing your potential for recovery.

but what do i know?

And in the event that you don't grow from that, then what do you do: Declare yourself a hardgainer, or increase your calories and protein, until you get bigger and stronger?

warrior_code

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2006, 07:18:01 AM »
talk to any nutrition expert who isnt' trying to sell you a protien product and they will tell you 1 gram per bw is the biggest joke ever

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2006, 08:00:14 AM »
talk to any nutrition expert who isnt' trying to sell you a protien product and they will tell you 1 gram per bw is the biggest joke ever

I agree! The intake, especially for ectomorphic "hardgainers", should be higher. As for the nutritional experts, as one magazine writer put it, the average one of them can't bench press a bologna sandwich.

Those who don't want to intake high amounts of protein will search the four corners of the earth to find some "expert" who agrees with them. The late Mike Mentzer was/is a preacher for the "you don't need that much protein" choir.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2006, 06:01:02 AM »
if you're serious about working out and train on a regular basis 1 gram per every two lbs of bodyweight i feel is enough...and to gain weight and size 1 gram per pound for quicker results..problem is that whatever protien you DON'T use will turn to fat!  :-\

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2006, 08:41:00 PM »
if you're serious about working out and train on a regular basis 1 gram per every two lbs of bodyweight i feel is enough...and to gain weight and size 1 gram per pound for quicker results..problem is that whatever protien you DON'T use will turn to fat!  :-\

If you're one of those ectomorphs or "hardgainers", that should be the LEAST of your concerns. It took me well over 300 grams of protein, just to get my bodyweight to 200 lbs. back when I was in college.

The "1 gram per pound of bodyweight" is a good baseline to start. But, that number is not etched in stone. If that amount doesn't get the job done, increase the calories and protein (I'd start with an extra 500 calories and 25-50 grams of protein).

injuryprone

• Getbig II
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2006, 02:44:16 PM »
We don't process 500g of pro. BUT---we get an IGF-1 response to the high levels. Simple as that. If you go the 100g route some will respond with their good genes and look great, but not most. Consumming large amounts of pro. goes way back to the gladiators, if they were just making something up that didn't work you would think nobody would do it anymore, well guess what--it works. I've taken college level nutrition and they don't teach it. Only at PhD level do they go into that deep research. 100g/day for bodybuilders is stupid unless medically required. 1gperBW when natty, 3-5g for juice. I love when med research catches up to what we have know for a long time.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2006, 02:54:10 PM »

yup calories are counter productive

injuryprone

• Getbig II
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2006, 03:15:47 PM »
Sorry, 100g/day is ok IF --you are a female that weighs 100lbs. Like everybody agrees watch the overall kcal but make room for that protein.