Author Topic: Injury Felt Only During Presses. Advice Please.  (Read 2320 times)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
Injury Felt Only During Presses. Advice Please.
« on: September 28, 2006, 10:29:28 AM »
At the office I do DB military presses, right and then left.  For several weeks, on the left I can do only about 1/4 of the reps I can do on the right before I start feeling a sharp pain in the middle of the delt.  No other discomfort except during this movement and no pain felt in other exercises such as bench presses, etc.

Any advice, thoughts or similar experiences?

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
Re: Injury Felt Only During Presses. Advice Please.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 03:39:41 PM »
Do you warm up both rotators evenly for a good 5-10 min? I do little arm cirles into big ones forwards and backwards with light presses and light laterals before I do anything that i would consider a work set.
bodybuildersreality.com

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 08:13:50 AM »
Do you warm up both rotators evenly for a good 5-10 min? I do little arm cirles into big ones forwards and backwards with light presses and light laterals before I do anything that i would consider a work set.

Thanks, I haven't been doing warmups.  I will give it a try.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 02:39:10 PM »
Thanks, I haven't been doing warmups.  I will give it a try.
right on man, I hope all goes well.
bodybuildersreality.com

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 01:28:44 PM »
At the office I do DB military presses, right and then left.  For several weeks, on the left I can do only about 1/4 of the reps I can do on the right before I start feeling a sharp pain in the middle of the delt.  No other discomfort except during this movement and no pain felt in other exercises such as bench presses, etc.

Any advice, thoughts or similar experiences?

Update:  after approximately four months of eliminating military presses, the pain is gone.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 02:01:15 PM »
Update:  after approximately four months of eliminating military presses, the pain is gone.

Therefore:
-Continue taking enough time for thorough warmups. Sometimes it's only through injury that you realize how important 2-3 minutes of windmills + several light sets are.

-Keep the reps moderate.

-Re: problem exercise, the pain was a warning that the particular exercise may be problematic in future. IF warmups and moderate reps still eventually lead to more pain you may have to consider finding a substitute exercise. It can be something similar ie front presses instead of presses behind neck, 2/3 ROMs that leave out the bottom part of the ROM, etc. or if that doesn't work, an entirely different exercise.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 02:14:39 PM »
Therefore:
-Continue taking enough time for thorough warmups. Sometimes it's only through injury that you realize how important 2-3 minutes of windmills + several light sets are.

-Keep the reps moderate.

-Re: problem exercise, the pain was a warning that the particular exercise may be problematic in future. IF warmups and moderate reps still eventually lead to more pain you may have to consider finding a substitute exercise. It can be something similar ie front presses instead of presses behind neck, 2/3 ROMs that leave out the bottom part of the ROM, etc. or if that doesn't work, an entirely different exercise.

Thank you for the advice.  I am taking very seriously the issue of not repeating the injury.