Author Topic: Federal Pound-You-In-The-ASS Prison or Gitmo? Where would you rather be?  (Read 5006 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Federal Pound-You-In-The-ASS Prison or Gitmo? Where would you rather be?
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2006, 11:43:12 AM »
Come on 240.  CIA agents bought liability insurance to protect themselves from potential suits involving torture?  There are at least two major flaws with this:  (1) liability insurance does not cover intentional misconduct (like torture) and (2) there is no way people are going to broadcast that they have a nonexistent insurance policy.  What's your source? 

Worried CIA Officers Buy Legal Insurance
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/10/AR2006091001286_pf.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2006, 11:44:06 AM »
Worried CIA Officers Buy Legal Insurance
Plans Fund Defense In Anti-Terror Cases

By R. Jeffrey Smith
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, September 11, 2006; A01

CIA counterterrorism officers have signed up in growing numbers for a government-reimbursed, private insurance plan that would pay their civil judgments and legal expenses if they are sued or charged with criminal wrongdoing, according to current and former intelligence officials and others with knowledge of the program.

The new enrollments reflect heightened anxiety at the CIA that officers may be vulnerable to accusations they were involved in abuse, torture, human rights violations and other misconduct, including wrongdoing related to the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. They worry that they will not have Justice Department representation in court or congressional inquiries, the officials said.

The anxieties stem partly from public controversy about a system of secret CIA prisons in which detainees were subjected to harsh interrogation methods, including temperature extremes and simulated drowning. The White House contends the methods were legal, but some CIA officers have worried privately that they may have violated international law or domestic criminal statutes.

Details of the rough interrogations could come to light if trials are held for any of the approximately 100 detainees who were held in the prisons. President Bush announced last week that he had transferred the last 14 detainees in the facilities to the military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and had submitted a proposal to Congress for the rules under which the administration would like the suspects to be tried.

Terrorism suspects' defense attorneys are expected to argue that admissions made by their clients were illegally coerced as the result of policies set in Washington.

Justice Department political appointees have strongly backed the CIA interrogations. But "there are a lot of people who think that subpoenas could be coming" from Congress after the November elections or from federal prosecutors if Democrats capture the White House in 2008, said a retired senior intelligence officer who remains in contact with former colleagues in the agency's Directorate of Operations, which ran the secret prisons.

"People are worried about a pendulum swing" that could lead to accusations of wrongdoing, said another former CIA officer.

The insurance policies were bought from Arlington-based Wright and Co., a subsidiary of the private Special Agents Mutual Benefit Association created by former FBI officials. The CIA has encouraged many of its officers to take out the insurance, current and former intelligence officials said, but no one interviewed would reveal precisely how many have bought policies.

As part of the administration's efforts to protect intelligence officers from liability, Bush last week called for Congress to approve legislation drafted by the White House that would exempt CIA officers and other federal civilian officials from prosecution for humiliating and degrading terrorism suspects in U.S. custody. Its wording would keep prosecutors or courts from considering a wider definition of actions that constitute torture.

Bush also asked Congress to bar federal courts from considering lawsuits by detainees who were in CIA or military custody that allege violations of international treaties and laws governing treatment of detainees.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2006, 11:52:59 AM »
Interesting.  Thanks.  Credible source this time.   :)

I'm still cynical about whether any insurer will indemnify anyone for intentional misconduct, like torture.  I don't think I've seen a policy that covers intentional wrongdoing.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2006, 12:02:04 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks.  Credible source this time.   :)

I'm still cynical about whether any insurer will indemnify anyone for intentional misconduct, like torture.  I don't think I've seen a policy that covers intentional wrongdoing.

Kinda like malpractice insurance that docs get.  It's like field hazard insurance.  Their personal assets are protected from civil litigation

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2006, 12:04:26 PM »
Kinda like malpractice insurance that docs get.  It's like field hazard insurance.  Their personal assets are protected from civil litigation

Malpractice insurance covers negligence, not intentional misconduct.  Hazard insurance covers accidents.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2006, 12:55:40 PM »
Malpractice insurance covers negligence, not intentional misconduct.  Hazard insurance covers accidents.

Accidental negligence then? :)

It protects their house and car should they end up grinning on Drudge report with a Diehard in one hand and a beanbag in the other :)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2006, 03:23:17 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks.  Credible source this time.   :)

don't get swept up by the 240. they have insurance 'cause they know that there will need representation the way things are trending . . . gitmo detainees have some of the best american lawyers in the business, and so it doesn't hurt to beef up your own warchest.

the policies will just pay for their legal representation . . . I believe i have that coverage too.

about the damages in a civil suit . . . any lawyer worth his salt will implead his superior officers. therefore, the odds are that congress will severely limit such suits.

nobody's going to insure anyone for torturing someone . . . they'll only insure you against accusations of torture, which is what the article says.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2006, 04:32:12 PM »
about the damages in a civil suit . . . any lawyer worth his salt will implead his superior officers. therefore, the odds are that congress will severely limit such suits.

Seemed to work really well for those Abu Ghirab underlings ;)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2006, 04:35:41 PM »
Seemed to work really well for those Abu Ghirab underlings ;)

yeah, 'cause they were defendants in a civil suit?  ::) Why don't you read your own article, smartypants?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2006, 08:00:32 PM »
The fact is, up til now, CIA members have been told "Go ahead and torture... we'll turn a blind eye"

They have en masse revolted and refused to continue torturing suspects without clear legal approval to do so. They do not want to end up like those guys at Abu Ghraib. As a result, alot of their facilities around the world have been shut down because members of the CIA have revolted, so the prisoners are being transferred to Guantanamo which is run by the military. They no longer trust Bush to protect them. Throughout this administration, bush has used the CIA as athe scapegoat. first for not knowing about 911 before hand, then for faulty intelligence on Iraq's desire to acquire yellowcake uranium from Africa, etc., This admin has also gone so far as to endanger the lives of CIA members by deliberately blowing the cover of one covert operative. They no longer trust Bush. Who can blame them?
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2006, 09:21:25 PM »
Guantanamo hearing shows detainee hurdles
Saudi was unable to present evidence since it was seized by military

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba - His ankles chained to the floor of the hearing room, a Saudi detainee hoped to convince three U.S. military officers that he is not a danger to the United States, has no intelligence value and should be released from the Guantanamo Bay prison.

But in his one shot this year at getting out of here, the detainee could not produce letters from his family that he wanted to submit as evidence. They were seized by the military, along with thousands of other documents from detainees, as it investigates whether the suicides of three prisoners in June were assisted or encouraged.

While the letters on their own may not have convinced the panel that the detainee should be released, the hearing shows that the Naval Criminal Investigative Service’s confiscation of more than 1,100 pounds of documents is hampering detainees’ ability to confront accusations against them.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2006, 04:52:20 PM »
If I'm ever put in Gitmo I'll be a fucking songbird for corona and weed.  ;D