Author Topic: training for 500 raw  (Read 10832 times)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: training for 500 raw
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2006, 02:09:21 PM »
so as of right now things are looking good as far as my layout?

AND i've been told by numerous top ams and even a few pros with those huge guns everyone wants..they they hardly EVERY train bi's or tri's anymore..and if they do it's just a couple of sets here or there! none of this 9 sets this or that... :o

Yeah.

If you ever get sore elbows, back off the triceps and biceps training altogether for a few weeks too.

A guy I know with huge guns, hits his biceps once every third week due to the stress on his elbows.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2006, 04:32:01 PM »
my elbows are only sore right after workouts..after an hour or so it goes away...

on tricep days i'm trying to do movements that are heavy but involve less chest..like pressdowns or dips upright instead of closed grip benches the day AFTER benching.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2007, 06:08:37 AM »
How about trying this for the rest of the year:

Week 1:

Workout 1 (Monday or tuesday)
2-4sets* 5 reps heavy Regular benchpress
1 set * 3 reps heavy

Workout 2 (Friday or Sat)
3 sets * 5 reps board presses heavy
3 sets * 5 reps close grip BP

Week 2:

Workout 1
4-5 sets* 5 reps light regular benchpress (approx 60% of 1RM)

wk 2

Week 3:

Workout 1
4-5 sets* 5 reps moderate regular benchpress (approx 75% of 1RM)

Part two of this training would start in January, when you would start to do 1-3 repetitions. Pretty much the same layout, but 1-3 repetitions instead of 5'ers.

Your 1RM with a shirt and 1RM may go down slightly temporarily during the fall, but you would become stronger in the end.

Lemme know if you want further details.

YIP
Zack

I've modified this one slightly to include negatives, here's the new layout:

Week 1:

3sets* 5 reps heavy Regular benchpress (always try to set a new 5RM)
2 set * 3 reps negatives with 10-20 lbs over your 1RM (decent should take approx 7-8 seconds)

Week 2:

Workout 1

wk 2

Week 3:

Workout 1

Part two of this training would start after 3-4 months when you would start to do 1-3 repetitions. Pretty much the same layout, but 1-3 repetitions instead of 5'ers.

Your 1RM with a shirt and 1RM may go down slightly temporarily during the fall, but you would become stronger in the end.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007, 12:48:12 PM »
I've modified this one slightly to include negatives, here's the new layout:

Week 1:

3sets* 5 reps heavy Regular benchpress (always try to set a new 5RM)
2 set * 3 reps negatives with 10-20 lbs over your 1RM (decent should take approx 7-8 seconds)

Week 2:

Workout 1

wk 2

Week 3:

Workout 1

Part two of this training would start after 3-4 months when you would start to do 1-3 repetitions. Pretty much the same layout, but 1-3 repetitions instead of 5'ers.

-Hedge
It really seems very functional, even more than the Bill Starr program. Hey Hedge, in your opinion what is the percentage of weight that should be increased using this layout, I mean from WO to WO? Should it be 2.5%?
Thanx for the info, I really apreciate it, I really need to go over 170kgs!
S

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2007, 07:18:31 AM »
It really seems very functional, even more than the Bill Starr program. Hey Hedge, in your opinion what is the percentage of weight that should be increased using this layout, I mean from WO to WO? Should it be 2.5%?
Thanx for the info, I really apreciate it, I really need to go over 170kgs!

During the light and the moderate workout, stick with the same kind of weight. When you've increased your 5RM by some 15 kgs, you could up the weights on the light and the moderate as well. Generally speaking though, light day should be 60% of your 1RM and moderate day 75%.

On the heavy WO, try to set a new 5 RM PB, usually on the second set. Then do another set, either slightly lower, the same or even more. Remember, heavy day= Trying set a new PB in the 5RM.

Finally, remember this: To lift heavy, you need to lift light. Meaning, that in order to be able to go all out on the heavy workout, you really need to back off the weights on the other two weeks.

I would do any shoulder work on the first workout or the day after it, do fairly limited work as well.

Three sets of side lateral raises with DB's and perhaps two sets of some type of shoulder press, stick with a manageable weight on both excersises.

If you want to do any extra triceps work, I think you could add one triceps excersise that works the full range, such as rope french presses or regular french presses. Use a moderate or light weight for three sets 6-8 reps, just getting some stimulation in the ROM which close grip and benchpress don't cover.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2007, 03:28:34 PM »
bump
As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2007, 05:37:25 PM »
A few things:

* On the regular benchpresses, use contest or near-contest form, ie pause at chest and so forth. No lifting of the ass.

* Don't get into the habit of using a big ass board on the board presses. 1' or 2' board is plenty.

* If you have access to chains, they can be used on all sets. Just make sure to adjust the weight, especially on the lighter workouts, so you don't go too heavy!

* Never have a slow lift. Good speed on all lifts.
As empty as paradise

overcome

• Getbig II
  • Size comes with strength, strength comes from pain
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2007, 09:09:10 AM »
i'm doing a bench comp(just in my gym) in one week, should i hit chest tomorrow or the next day or just not touch it till then?  i have been doing 5x5 for a while and last chest day(3days ago) i did 1 8, 2 5s and 2 3s, to get back to handling heavier weights.

any opinions on what if anything i should do?

i'll be taking the day before, maybe 2 days completely off before it.
you suck at life...