Author Topic: Anyone else here like weighted pullups?  (Read 10501 times)

Yev33

• Getbig III
Anyone else here like weighted pullups?
« on: February 17, 2012, 04:07:08 PM »
I have stopped doing pulldowns a while back since it was a real bitch getting into position with weights more than my bodyweight. Here's a vid of me doing 6 reps with an additional 70lbs at a BW of 190lb..

Working towards getting 4-6 reps with an addional 100lbs.

Anyone else here like doing these and how has your progress been with them?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Anyone else here like weighted pullups?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 05:02:08 PM »
why are you only doing 4-6 reps? i'd focus more on doing sets of at least 10 with strict form... IMO this is more important for muscle growth...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 05:07:18 PM »
Always had good luck with doing weighted pull/chin ups. Prefer doing them with a middle to narrower hammer grip (thumbs facing towards me). Or even a close curl grip. A mid to closer grip will activate more of the lats themselves. A wide to extra wide should not be ignored either because of the max stretch allowed. Have done extra wide, middle and close curl grip in the same back workout. Usually 1 or 2 sets of each grip position. Another good position is to stand sideways to the chinning bar, interlace the fingers and pull up. Try arching the back as your upper centered chest as you near the bar. Gives a different feel  and stretch to the exercise.

As far as adding weight, plates can be a major pain, at times. Some chain the 45's together first. Than hook that chain to the chinning belt. Another faster way is to use a DB, rather than plates. Also I have the chinning bar just high enough where I can reach up and grip it. Than, as pulling up, I raise the lower legs behind me. No need to use a platform to stand on and is more secure.

We have 100lb plates, which I usually use when chained together. And the belt I use is more like a hip harness, making a hookup easier and better balanced. After awhile, a regular chinning belt will dig into the thighs, unless using a towel around the chains.

Trying one arm negatives is another way to increase the effect of chins on the lats. After building a strength base that way, you may want to attempt one arm regular chins. Good Luck.
F

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 05:43:42 PM »
why are you only doing 4-6 reps? i'd focus more on doing sets of at least 10 with strict form... IMO this is more important fire muscle growth...

I periodize my training based on percentages, going as high as 12 and as low as 4, this week I needed to get at least 4 with an additional 70lbs.. In three weeks I will be looking to do the same thing with an additional 80lbs., but before that I will have a workout where I will be getting an extra 30lbs for at least 8, and another workout where I will be looking to get an extra 60lbs for at least 6.

This method has worked very well for me as far as strength gain is concerned and has worked for all of the lifts I applied it to. As well as taking my bw from 180 to 190 (went up as high as 198-200) and this was all in the last year and a half after I have already been training for over 7 years.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 05:53:37 PM »
Always had good luck with doing weighted pull/chin ups. Prefer doing them with a middle to narrower hammer grip (thumbs facing towards me). Or even a close curl grip. A mid to closer grip will activate more of the lats themselves. A wide to extra wide should not be ignored either because of the max stretch allowed. Have done extra wide, middle and close curl grip in the same back workout. Usually 1 or 2 sets of each grip position. Another good position is to stand sideways to the chinning bar, interlace the fingers and pull up. Try arching the back as your upper centered chest as you near the bar. Gives a different feel  and stretch to the exercise.

As far as adding weight, plates can be a major pain, at times. Some chain the 45's together first. Than hook that chain to the chinning belt. Another faster way is to use a DB, rather than plates. Also I have the chinning bar just high enough where I can reach up and grip it. Than, as pulling up, I raise the lower legs behind me. No need to use a platform to stand on and is moire secure.

We have 100lb plates, which I usually use when chained together. And the belt I use is more like a hip harness, making a hookup easier and better balanced. After awhile, a regular chinning belt will dig into the thighs, unless using a towel around the chains.

Trying one arm negatives is another way to increase the effect of chins on the lats. After building a strength base that way, you may want to attempt one arm regular chins. Good Luck.

Thanks jpm, I like to use a variety of grips as you have suggested, right now I am working on pull ups, next cycle will switch to another variation. I am stronger on chin ups but wanted to bring up my strength on pull ups for this time.

What is the most weight you have used on these yourself or seen someone else use?  I know you are around some strong lifters as well as being one yourself .

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 04:37:16 AM »
I periodize my training based on percentages, going as high as 12 and as low as 4, this week I needed to get at least 4 with an additional 70lbs.. In three weeks I will be looking to do the same thing with an additional 80lbs., but before that I will have a workout where I will be getting an extra 30lbs for at least 8, and another workout where I will be looking to get an extra 60lbs for at least 6.

This method has worked very well for me as far as strength gain is concerned and has worked for all of the lifts I applied it to. As well as taking my bw from 180 to 190 (went up as high as 198-200) and this was all in the last year and a half after I have already been training for over 7 years.

sounds overly complicated to me, but if it works for you, keep doing it

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 08:46:40 AM »

sounds overly complicated to me, but if it works for you, keep doing it

It definetely works.
It's really not that complicated
3 waves
8-12 Week1
6-9  Week 2
4-6  Week 3

If there is interest I can go over the sets, percentages and progression, as well as how to incorporate it into a routine.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 09:40:59 AM »
Yev33: I'll usually use around bwt (the weight cinched on the harness is about equal to my bwt, for now anyway), depending on my grip selection. 6-9 rep range, 1 or 2 sets each. Touching the chin and never to failure. Don't really push to use more weight in any exercise, it just seems to progress naturally. Been working on one arm pullup's, at present.

Seem a couple of guy's do above the 300lb range, though pulling about upper chest high. But than again, most men will only do shorter reps, never full ROM. Most find they don't need a full ROM  for muscle mass. Though , if a lifter, that will only highlight weaker areas of their complete strength level. Good Luck.
F

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 04:10:10 PM »
Yev33: I'll usually use around bwt (the weight cinched on the harness is about equal to my bwt, for now anyway), depending on my grip selection. 6-9 rep range, 1 or 2 sets each. Touching the chin and never to failure. Don't really push to use more weight in any exercise, it just seems to progress naturally. Been working on one arm pullup's, at present.

Seem a couple of guy's do above the 300lb range, though pulling about upper chest high. But than again, most men will only do shorter reps, never full ROM. Most find they don't need a full ROM  for muscle mass. Though , if a lifter, that will only highlight weaker areas of their complete strength level. Good Luck.

Thats impressive being able to do weighted chins with your bw cinched to a harness, Im guessing you are at least 200lbs, so that would mean that you are pulling up at least 400lbs total.
Damn that's a lot.

Am I reading this right? You have seen someone do 300lbs not including their bodyweight or including bw.?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 04:12:19 PM »
NO!!!!! LOL Ive never like pull ups as it is...I think ive gotten up to maybe 25-35 lbs of added weight on my last set back before i started having shoulder problems.

Nuetral grip is easier and I am decently strong on those but I still dont like them.

weighted dips used to be a favorite of mine again before my shoulders started giving me trouble.

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 04:44:51 AM »

i do chin up twice a week

once i do 3 set of 10 with bdw
the other session is 3 set of 5 with weight.

it's really efficient, i never go to failure, use strict form.
doing chin once a week is useless, twice a week but heavy is useless too.
so a light then a heavy workout is perfect.
asstropin

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 04:48:06 AM »
Thats impressive being able to do weighted chins with your bw cinched to a harness, Im guessing you are at least 200lbs, so that would mean that you are pulling up at least 400lbs total.
Damn that's a lot.

Am I reading this right? You have seen someone do 300lbs not including their bodyweight or including bw.?

i'm 242 now i can do 10 reps with my bdw and 4/5 perfect reps with 50 lbs added, so not too far from 300'
asstropin

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 08:03:39 AM »

i do chin up twice a week

once i do 3 set of 10 with bdw
the other session is 3 set of 5 with weight.

it's really efficient, i never go to failure, use strict form.
doing chin once a week is useless, twice a week but heavy is useless too.
so a light then a heavy workout is perfect.

That video is from my Thursdays workout where I will pyramid up and go heavy

Mondays I do neutral grip pull ups for 3 sets of 8-12

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 08:13:04 AM »

i'm 242 now i can do 10 reps with my bdw and 4/5 perfect reps with 50 lbs added, so not too far from 300'

300lbs total is strong, I can do that on chin ups but not on pull ups yet.

But 300lbs in addition to the bodyweight is whole different ball game, and that's what I think Jpm was reffering to unless I read his post wrong. Not saying it didn't happen, I just don't think people fully understand how impressive that is.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 09:46:35 AM »
I weighted 232, standing on my girl friends finally tuned digital scale this morning. She's into crossfitness, so the scale is right on. I'm a bit above 6'2 and holding a 36 waist.

With my version of the pullup, I use a close hammer grip (thumbs facing to the rear). A grip like this allows more involvement of the overhead pulling muscles. Rather than the normal middle to wider elbows out and fingers facing forward. Which, in return, allows less power/weight to be used. Each pullup rep is started from a flatfooted stance (the bar is adjusted so I only have to reach above with ease). Do not ever begin with a full or partial stretch. So, in a way, this might be considered a partial rep, rather that a true complete ROM by some. Suits my needs better, because the pullup is treated as a power movement by myself. Not actually touching the chin, as the term was used,, but to chin height each rep.

Never checked the weight of the harness but guessing around 5lbs (?). Place the two 100lb plates and two 10lb on the harness,and go from there.  Set's of 2's worked very well for me last week, never to failure. The 6-9 reps was referring to a regular , non power directed, pullup workout. Weight used the last time was 150, or so

Did a search this morning and found that the official one rep pullup record is a bit above 400lbs. Not to offend, but that is so bogus, when men, past & present, have exceeded that many times (the great Marvin Eder did 8 reps, wide grip at 202bwt totaling 402 lbs...also did a 434lb  dip). Those two guys (both rock climbers ...both from Australia) weighted around 150, so that extra 150 was equal their bwt. Rock climbers have the strongest pull and grips of just about anyone.

The pullup/chin is any wonderful muscle mass and power buildedr Most guy's do not take full advantage of the benefits to be gained from this exercise, also using different grip positions. Same can be said for dips. Good Luck.
F

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 10:38:34 AM »
Great post jpm, I know of Marvin Eder and some of his best lifts. He was also benching over 500lbs as well.
I know the pull up grip you are talking about, I am actually using the exact same grip right now for my Monday workout where I go lighter. But it works very well with heavy weights. My favorite part about that grip is being able to come up until the handles hit the very upper pecs. Makes it very easy to judge height and ROM on every rep, as well as having a very good power leverage even with the increased ROM.

I don't know why but I always thought you were shorter, around 5'8" or so.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 11:17:58 AM »
Yev33:  You mean when I go to DisneyLand I have to stand next to the height marker to see if I'm tall enough to go on the grown-up rides?

No, 6'2 and holding. Most shorter lifters seem to have better leverage, I know. Weight 275-280 in college, playing football. Had two  family members in the NFL a while back. Maybe another one, if the draft goes his way in April.

Familiar with the Wave theory. Quite a few lifters were using it for a while. Reminds me of the old Doug Hepburn training method. But you changed the set protocol each workout, keeping the original starting weight on the bar. Pacing the nervous system along with the capacity to increase strength. And as we all know, periodization is important, though losing favor currently by some.

Example:

day 1:  8X 2 reps
day2:   1X3reps....than, 7X2reps
day3:   2X3reps...than 6X2reps.

Good luck.

F

ExtremistPullup

• Getbig I
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 09:30:54 PM »
Did a search this morning and found that the official one rep pullup record is a bit above 400lbs. Not to offend, but that is so bogus, when men, past & present, have exceeded that many times (the great Marvin Eder did 8 reps, wide grip at 202bwt totaling 402 lbs

Those were "historical performances" if we are talking official records they are going to be lower since witnesses and documentation is needed. 402 total and 206.2 added are current and obtainable to anyone who trains pullup seriously. My goal isn't to be the strongest at weighted pullups it's to encourage people to do them more often and get the very best to make their records official.

oni

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 12:10:02 AM »
I use 5/3/1 to program weighted pull-ups and it works very well!
I keep the reps strict though

Here is a video I took a few weeks back, I've done 5 reps with 30kg added since then!

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 12:35:37 PM »
I use 5/3/1 to program weighted pull-ups and it works very well!
I keep the reps strict though

Here is a video I took a few weeks back, I've done 5 reps with 30kg added since then!

Great work, but those weren't regular pull ups. Those are great and I include them in my training as well, but the neutral grip gives you much better leverage than the double overhand grip. To give you a point of reference, back when I could only do a single rep with +70 lbs on the double overhand pull ups, I could get +100 for a couple with a neutral or palms facing me grip.
Code: [Select]

Voland

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • when you go scat you never come back ;)
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 01:12:25 PM »
i stopped doing pullups all together.
I respond better to pulldowns.
Boundary Breaker

oni

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 12:44:47 AM »
Great work, but those weren't regular pull ups. Those are great and I include them in my training as well, but the neutral grip gives you much better leverage than the double overhand grip. To give you a point of reference, back when I could only do a single rep with +70 lbs on the double overhand pull ups, I could get +100 for a couple with a neutral or palms facing me grip.
Code: [Select]

I like them because they allow me to progress in weight faster

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 07:01:27 AM »
I like them because they allow me to progress in weight faster
I like a close or shoulder width under hand grip myself. I feel my lats much better. I really do not believe that a wide over hand grip gives you wider, better lats ( it is harder that is true). Although the Biceps are activated in under grip chins the range of motion is better bringing your elbows back and if you can bring yourself as high as possible bringing your chest to the bar and lean back..this stimulates your lats..i got this idea from Vince gironda.

oni

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 10:49:39 PM »
I like a close or shoulder width under hand grip myself. I feel my lats much better. I really do not believe that a wide over hand grip gives you wider, better lats ( it is harder that is true). Although the Biceps are activated in under grip chins the range of motion is better bringing your elbows back and if you can bring yourself as high as possible bringing your chest to the bar and lean back..this stimulates your lats..i got this idea from Vince gironda.

The function of the lats is to pull the arm back, they will be activated the most with the elbows passing as near to the torso as possible and the elbows being driven as far back as possible. So really that's the grip you want to pick, the one that allows you to push your elbows back the farthest and be near to the torso. Anything wider than a little over shoulder width will increase upper back work. Yate's explained it well in Blood and Guts

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 11:17:14 PM »
Personally I don't limit my self to using only one type of grip. I pick a grip that I want to focus on during a training cycle and get stronger on it.

These are the grips that I will usually rotate through during the course of the year depending on what I want to focus on:

Overhand medium
Underhand medium
under hand narrow
neutral medium
neutral narrow

They all have their benefits, and help to develop the lats in a complete way.