Author Topic: Shoulder (middle delt) pain with no acute injury  (Read 642 times)

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
Shoulder (middle delt) pain with no acute injury
« on: January 12, 2024, 04:29:19 PM »
A few weeks ago my shoulder started hurting. As part of my warm up, I usually swing my arms backwards in circles, and then backwards in cirlces (like dislocates without a piece of pipe before doing dislocates with a pipe for instance). When swinging them forward one day, my left shoulder had pain like a mild muscle strain. I don't have any pain doing the standard tests for impingement, or rotator cuff, but doing side laterals hurts and feels weaker, and doing any sort of incline press causes pain and weakness.  Also, it initially felt like there was a tender spot on the outside of my delt but that has gone away. Anyone ever dealt with something like this? I have since stopped sleeping on my left side, and have started doing some band stuff, but to not much improvement.

The lack of acute injury would lead many to say "rotator cuff" but i don't present any of the classic rotator cuff issues.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Shoulder (middle delt) pain with no acute injury
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 04:43:07 PM »
Not a doctor. Maybe you rubbed a tendon on a bone with your warm up and it's inflamed. Maybe a doc can prescribe some anti inflammatory like Meloxicam for a week or so to make the swelling go down. If you have continued problems an orthopedic surgeon can prescribe an MRI to see what the soft tissue is doing. Good luck trying your insurance to agree to the MRI.  I have excellent insurance it's always a bit of a battle  to get it approved. I try to live by the motto if it hurts then get rid of the exercise.  Anyway good luck and this is from a guy that has had many injuries.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 04:47:55 PM »
for more info i could tell it was sore before I did the arm swinging but I just assumed warming up and doing banded pullaparts (which are part of my daily routine) would make it fine. It didn't.

Agreed on the not doing exercises that hurt.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 06:30:05 PM »
For now avoid any exercise that causes discomfort.

It will heal after a time.

Taking an NSAID for a short time to reduce inflammation can help.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 03:22:55 AM »
A few weeks ago my shoulder started hurting. As part of my warm up, I usually swing my arms backwards in circles, and then backwards in cirlces (like dislocates without a piece of pipe before doing dislocates with a pipe for instance). When swinging them forward one day, my left shoulder had pain like a mild muscle strain. I don't have any pain doing the standard tests for impingement, or rotator cuff, but doing side laterals hurts and feels weaker, and doing any sort of incline press causes pain and weakness.  Also, it initially felt like there was a tender spot on the outside of my delt but that has gone away. Anyone ever dealt with something like this? I have since stopped sleeping on my left side, and have started doing some band stuff, but to not much improvement.

The lack of acute injury would lead many to say "rotator cuff" but i don't present any of the classic rotator cuff issues.
you mentioned weakness normally that is a sign that a nerve is pinched. could be actually a neck problem with a disc pressing a nerve.
How is your flat bench press? do you have also weakness?