Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 448708 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #2375 on: May 28, 2024, 11:38:01 AM »
Today I ran 5.25 miles. Then my after the run I was doing semi sprints and I pulled a groin muscle on the first one damn.  Came home and did the following. One exercise after another.

Heavy bag for three minutes

free hand squats 1 x max
free hand lunges 1 x max
step up on a 18" bench 1 x max

pull ups 1 x max
body weight bar rows 1 x max ( Set a bar up so you can dead hang facing the ceiling. Put your feet on a bench and row your body weight. Picture below)

Pike push ups with handles 1 x max
Push ups 1 x max

body weight dips

Pull ups with a supinated grip with palms facing face. 1 x max

That was only half of the planned bodyweight routine. I couldn't finish. Pissed off. I think I just went from exercise to exercise too quickly. I was shot after the 5 mile plus run. I have to come up with a plan that I can do strength training with the running. It's tough. I think I just have to lighten the weight.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2376 on: May 29, 2024, 10:44:02 AM »
Back to the same old for now. Yates type training. One set to failure. Non taxing warm ups as needed.

Dumbbell decline press 1 x 10
Incline dumbbell press 1 x 9
Flat flies 1 x 15
Push ups 1 x max

EZ curl 1 x 15
Alternate Dumbbell curl 1 x 10
Two hands leaning against wall curl with dumbbells (drag curls ) 1 x 13
concentration curl 1 x 13

wrist curl 1 x 30
reverse wrist extensions 1 x 20
Ivanko gripper 2 x 20 ( reversed the apparatus for the second set)

Incline sit ups 1 x 27
Incline leg raise 1 x 15

After I drove to a park an ran a mile. Just shot from yesterday's run, cleaning the pool and too much sun.  I will take tomorrow off from running and just lift for legs. I used today what for me is heavy weights. I really forced out the reps until I was completely shot. All the running lately has got me looking skinny and gaunt looking. My shoulders are disappearing. I really want a complete week of good lifting. Today was a good start.

I stopped listing weights used because it's meaningless. Most short stroke the reps and use a really fast cadence. A guy who can get 10 reps with 100lbs of an exercise probably couldn't use 80 with a full range of motion and a slower cadence.  Make no mistake the goal is to work the muscle and not stroke the ego. You can do half rep delt dumbbell press with the giant dumbbells but you would get better work out of going all the way down with lighter dumbbells for example. Another example are pull ups. Your goal should be to bring the elbows all the way down to your sides and not just getting your chin over the bar. The worst offenders are the leg press guys with the weight of a buick on the machine.  Lower the back board low so your legs can come back. Completely bend your legs like you are doing an ass to grass squat.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2377 on: Today at 02:22:58 AM »
Back to the same old for now. Yates type training. One set to failure. Non taxing warm ups as needed.

Dumbbell decline press 1 x 10
Incline dumbbell press 1 x 9
Flat flies 1 x 15
Push ups 1 x max

EZ curl 1 x 15
Alternate Dumbbell curl 1 x 10
Two hands leaning against wall curl with dumbbells (drag curls ) 1 x 13
concentration curl 1 x 13

wrist curl 1 x 30
reverse wrist extensions 1 x 20
Ivanko gripper 2 x 20 ( reversed the apparatus for the second set)

Incline sit ups 1 x 27
Incline leg raise 1 x 15

After I drove to a park an ran a mile. Just shot from yesterday's run, cleaning the pool and too much sun.  I will take tomorrow off from running and just lift for legs. I used today what for me is heavy weights. I really forced out the reps until I was completely shot. All the running lately has got me looking skinny and gaunt looking. My shoulders are disappearing. I really want a complete week of good lifting. Today was a good start.

I stopped listing weights used because it's meaningless. Most short stroke the reps and use a really fast cadence. A guy who can get 10 reps with 100lbs of an exercise probably couldn't use 80 with a full range of motion and a slower cadence.  Make no mistake the goal is to work the muscle and not stroke the ego. You can do half rep delt dumbbell press with the giant dumbbells but you would get better work out of going all the way down with lighter dumbbells for example. Another example are pull ups. Your goal should be to bring the elbows all the way down to your sides and not just getting your chin over the bar. The worst offenders are the leg press guys with the weight of a buick on the machine.  Lower the back board low so your legs can come back. Completely bend your legs like you are doing an ass to grass squat.

Partial reps can be useful though especially if you´ve an injury. I get what you´re saying about the ego lifters.

However i like doing DB Flys on a floor mat which reduces the range of moment. If i go for the "old school stretch" on a bench i feel weakness due to an old neck problem, C6/C7
some of these old school ideas are not very healthy, work the muscles in a safe range of movement.

I also think the Floor Press is a good exercise if there´s a physical problem.