Author Topic: Flipping tires  (Read 9242 times)

Muscl3r

• Getbig I
Flipping tires
« on: June 13, 2018, 08:39:32 PM »
Hi! I'm new to bodybuilding and have been reading about tire-based exercises. I've seen tires popping up in outdoor boot camps and even at the gym. My brother's a trucker and knows where we can get some old truck parts like huge tires.

I'm planning to get one and set it up on the yard. I read that flipping the tires over can help in toning the posterior-chain muscles such as the back, hamstrings, and glutes. Am I reading the right sources? Is it okay to flip a 500-lb weight for beginners?

Would appreciate if I'll get some tips on tire-based workouts and what type of tires I should use.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
Re: Flipping tires
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 04:39:19 AM »
Just don't hurt yourself.

OldSchoolLifter

• Getbig II
  • Hobbyist historian of strength/physique training
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 02:58:36 PM »
I dunno, I always thought of this as more of a 'functional strength' type of exercise, rather than bodybuilding/hypertrophy. I could be wrong, though.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 07:09:01 PM »
Flipping tires is a good way to rip your bicep. You are lifting with bend arms ballistically.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 07:55:38 PM »
Flipping tires is a good way to rip your bicep. You are lifting with bend arms ballistically.

If you’re using mostly your arms, specifically biceps, you’re doing it wrong.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 10:06:17 AM »
Tire flipping is more of a conditioning exercise like sled pulling/pushing or car pushing or farmers walks.

It's good. 

They even make these tire flipping machines which are pretty neat because you can add weight as you progress.

This is also cool.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 01:31:53 PM »
If you’re using mostly your arms, specifically biceps, you’re doing it wrong.

Coach you're are way off base with this from a kinesiology stand point. Lifting a tire with bent arms is dangerous. Show me a video of someone keeping their arms straight lifting a tire. Everyone has bent arms at some point during the lift applying force. Your hips and legs can over power your bicep and rip it.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 07:13:33 AM »
Coach you're are way off base with this from a kinesiology stand point. Lifting a tire with bent arms is dangerous. Show me a video of someone keeping their arms straight lifting a tire. Everyone has bent arms at some point during the lift applying force. Your hips and legs can over power your bicep and rip it.

I never said keep your arms straight

fista34

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 02:34:11 AM »
The tire fips are one the coolest looking exercise you can possibly do .Some exercise becomes so common that few people take the time to questions their validity. Perhaps they begin as specialty exercise intended for use in specific context by patients in rehab for example or by advanced bodybuilder who need the most challenging variation of certain movements. Overtime the exercise become a bit to popular and they end up vastly overrated, but keep it mind that overrated does not means bad. It simply means there are better choice than those that are currently popular.