Author Topic: Tomorrow’s Man Magazine  (Read 6600 times)

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
Tomorrow’s Man Magazine
« on: November 09, 2018, 07:47:20 PM »
Anyone familiar with this magazine?

Was it a Weider publication?

Or was it an “Acme” magazine from Warner Bros.’ Roadrunner cartoons, lol?

And about this featured article... wonder what Hollywood wanted with “musclemen???”

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Tomorrow’s Man Magazine
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 09:54:28 AM »
i think rheo blair owned the mag in the early days and featured some of his students in it. rheo h blair aka irwin johnson.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 09:58:37 AM »
 ;D
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 11:48:08 AM »
Irwin Johnson started the magazine. Probably in the early 50's.

Though maybe not  intended in the beginning, the magazine attracted a lot of gay men.  Johnson ( Rheo Blair) was in the closet at the time, as a gay man himself. Let's just say that most  of the "bodybuilders" in the magazine were very young and not the most masculine.

When a teenager I had the opportunity to borrow a stack of the old Iron Man magazines (best BB'ing old school mag around, probably even today) from a old lifting friend of my uncles. A couple of Tomorrow Mans were in the mix, along with Strength & Health's (Bob Hoffman).

Johnson had some good ideas, even put out a training course. His "magic" protein blend, maybe a little bit too hyped, was his main fame. Had been told it was a low carb whey product, way ahead of it's time back then.  Guy's would get results from if, losing fat in the process, but there were also mostly on a low carb diet also.

Good Luck

F