Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 439018 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #2350 on: May 06, 2024, 07:36:51 AM »
I think the occasional women I see running there are foolish.  Picture is the actual trail. Goes on for many miles. Use to be  old railroad tracks that the county removed and put down cinder.   

Agreed.  Not smart.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2351 on: May 09, 2024, 01:28:15 PM »
Still working out but mainly running. Lost two pounds the last two weeks. Just tired of the training logs. I'm on track to running 25 miles this week. Feeling little weak but the distance running is slowly improving. I have seen my heart rate go down almost every run but my times are slightly improving. I will pick up lifting next week.

I come up with a lot of ideas about lifting routines that never pan out but I have to see if it suits me. Trying to be a hybrid athlete for a 5K I want to run in July. I know right now I can win my age bracket in this little small town 5K but I want to run well and not well for a 65 year old. That's going to take plenty of work.

My idea for a hybrid training protocol is to emphasize the running but trying to find a way to keep my hand in lifting. I went way back in the training notebooks. Going to use my Yates inspired weight workouts of one set to failure per exercise.  The twist is I'm going to use lighter weights but still go to failure. Going back maybe 2 decades when I was doing the serious hybrid thing used very light weights so failure happened from say 12 reps to 20 plus reps. Then every week I increased the poundage and naturally the reps to failure go lower. Hopefully at race time my reps to failure will be in the something like 8-12 reps range. Even using light weights but going to failure at high reps still can lead to burn out. I remember back then it worked fantastic when after a month or so I started using heavy weights. My strength for me was high.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2352 on: May 10, 2024, 07:26:25 AM »
Still working out but mainly running. Lost two pounds the last two weeks. Just tired of the training logs. I'm on track to running 25 miles this week. Feeling little weak but the distance running is slowly improving. I have seen my heart rate go down almost every run but my times are slightly improving. I will pick up lifting next week.

I come up with a lot of ideas about lifting routines that never pan out but I have to see if it suits me. Trying to be a hybrid athlete for a 5K I want to run in July. I know right now I can win my age bracket in this little small town 5K but I want to run well and not well for a 65 year old. That's going to take plenty of work.

My idea for a hybrid training protocol is to emphasize the running but trying to find a way to keep my hand in lifting. I went way back in the training notebooks. Going to use my Yates inspired weight workouts of one set to failure per exercise.  The twist is I'm going to use lighter weights but still go to failure. Going back maybe 2 decades when I was doing the serious hybrid thing used very light weights so failure happened from say 12 reps to 20 plus reps. Then every week I increased the poundage and naturally the reps to failure go lower. Hopefully at race time my reps to failure will be in the something like 8-12 reps range. Even using light weights but going to failure at high reps still can lead to burn out. I remember back then it worked fantastic when after a month or so I started using heavy weights. My strength for me was high.
I remember years back a guy who was a Sgt in the PTI Corps said to me keep it simple. I now understand this years later

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2353 on: May 10, 2024, 07:32:46 AM »
I remember years back a guy who was a Sgt in the PTI Corps said to me keep it simple. I now understand this years later

I enjoy all the options I have in my home gym and in commercial gyms. Truth be told if you want to be a strong athlete all you need is a barbell and squat stands.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2354 on: May 10, 2024, 07:59:44 AM »
I enjoy all the options I have in my home gym and in commercial gyms. Truth be told if you want to be a strong athlete all you need is a barbell and squat stands.
I worked in Gyms as a trainer & honestly all i did was use the cross trainer for cardio. Serious cardio i did (at the time was running outside).
The Leg press was useful but not as effective as Squats in my home gym.
I saw pussy boys doing endless sets of tricep pushdowns but never parallel bar dips.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2355 on: May 11, 2024, 02:54:46 PM »
I worked in Gyms as a trainer & honestly all i did was use the cross trainer for cardio. Serious cardio i did (at the time was running outside).
The Leg press was useful but not as effective as Squats in my home gym.
I saw pussy boys doing endless sets of tricep pushdowns but never parallel bar dips.

I have seen great athletes that only use bodyweight exercises. Look at something like Navy Seal, Force Recon, Green Beret and Rangers. They go through training with bodyweight training. Gymnast are another example. I am not a bodybuilder.  I just like to train no matter what methodology I use. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2356 on: May 12, 2024, 04:26:57 AM »
I have seen great athletes that only use bodyweight exercises. Look at something like Navy Seal, Force Recon, Green Beret and Rangers. They go through training with bodyweight training. Gymnast are another example. I am not a bodybuilder.  I just like to train no matter what methodology I use.

yes that seems to be a thing with these Guys. Big upper arms ..etc.  seem to do a lot of Dips, pull-ups. posted before but the Videos get you motivated  ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2357 on: May 13, 2024, 07:38:56 AM »
     I will get back to logging soon. I am training hard. Reading a book on training for running. I know what you are probably thinking. I'm a lifter on a lifting site, fuck running. Bear with me. His thoughts on training ring true for me in both lifting and running.

The book is Personal Best Running by Mark Coogan. He was an elite runner in college but the big time titles eluded him. He said in training he left it all out on the track every training day. He rated his workouts as A Plus. He and several members of the team sometimes left personal bests on a training day.  Come race day he ran well but many times not as good as some of his training days. As he tried to make Olympic teams and get a spot on the national cross country teams but it always eluded him.

I can relate since I came from a track back ground in high school and college. I was proud of my work ethic. I grew up with Rocky and Arthur Jones. Want to be the best you have to out work everyone I thought. That's also in my immigrant DNA.  I remember another runner who I thought dogged his workouts. He rarely trained hard while I left it all out there everyday. Come race day he was always faster.  I thought he was just more blessed with innate talent. Probably true but he wasn't entering a race completely depleted either.

Back to the author of the book. After college he ran with an elite post college running group composed of top shelf Olympians and other elite runners. One thing shocked him. The training runs weren't balls to the wall. He thought what the hell is going on?  They ran hard but never to the limit. He was discouraged training with this group. Then came races and he started breaking personal records beating some members of a who's who in racing.

Not to put words in his mouth but he said something to the effect that consistent B plus workouts with an occasional A plus will beat a version of yourself that does nothing but A plus workouts.

Having workout growing up with Mike Mentzer, Arthur Jones, Casey Viator and all the rest of the HIT guys I was proud of my work ethic of balls to the wall workouts. Many decades of using heavy weights back then. During those decades I still ran on the occasion but it always was a secondary thought. I couldn't do a consistent running routine. I was too exhausted from lifting. Lifting was my priority.

Now I feel I wasted my talent for being a good runner trying to be a good lifter through the years. Now I'm 65 and wonder if I could ever get back to decent running? I feel running does more for your health than lifting but that's a topic for another day. The best thing to lesson the risk of ill healthy is probably a combination of the two.

My goals are changing.  I want to be a hybrid athlete that has a good cardio gas tank and lift at the same time. How can I achieve that?  I'm going to have to use lighter weights and avoid going to failure on most of my sets. Exhaust the muscle through volume, short rests between sets and more strict rep performance. Best laid plans often fail but that's what I want to do.  Again I spoke to Bill Pearl about this topic and he said, "You're a smart man.", lol.   

Today I started a high intensity workout after a week of daily hard 5 mile runs.  After the third exercise going red in the face feeling faint going to failure I started to think this isn't sustainable if I continue running like I am. No way could I run a hard 5 mile plus then go to exhaustion on every weight exercise.  On my third exercise of failure I was leaning on a wall breathing like a race horse thinking about what kind of hell did I put myself in?  What if instead of doing say one set to failure of seated cable rows I did four sets of cable rows fast where the first three are stopped at say ten reps and the fourth is a failure at 9 reps might be a better route.  The fix for me might me as simple as using my two sets per exercise at a lighter weight not going to failure.

These are my thoughts for this Monday. Hopefully soon I will start logging again.

SweetDaddySiki

• Getbig III
« Reply #2358 on: May 13, 2024, 04:57:28 PM »
Good post OT!  :)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2359 on: Today at 09:33:15 AM »
Ran 5:04 miles on a cinder trail by my house. I burned about 711 calories not counting the quarter mile warm up. Max heart rate was 167. 

Still typing and typing various workouts on my Word processor.  It helps me visualize what the work out will be like if I type it out. Sometimes I plan workouts that are too over my head and I think as I'm working out, what was I thinking? I think it's good to be a little instinctive when you work out instead of sticking to a script. We all have up and down days. I know someone like Yates says he plots it out in his head then recorded it afterward.  Draper said he couldn't be rigid following a scripted workout. I think I'm a little too analytical for my own good.  Some very good world champs don't even know what they are going to do till they get to the gym. Then again you have guys that never deviate.