Author Topic: Recover as an Old Geezer  (Read 2317 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • “Always do what you are afraid to do.” - Emerson
Re: Recover as an Old Geezer
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2021, 03:43:59 AM »
It takes a few weeks for your body to acclimate to a new training regimen.

Use too much too soon and you get joint pain.  Your tendons and connective tissues need time to adapt.  This takes awhile.

Your soreness will dissipate.

Reduce your volume so you can train often, like 3-5 times a week.

You don't need to do 4-5 sets of an exercise.  1-3 sets is plenty unless you are doing very low reps, then you need more.  If you can't recover reduce the volume and/or intensity.

Skip the Advil and NSAIDs unless you are injured or in so much pain you can't function, in which case you shouldn't be training.  It will mess you up by allowing you to train through injury.  It also is bad for your stomach. Tylenol is bad for your kidneys. 

If you are in so much pain you need Advil to train you need to rethink your methods.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2021, 04:39:34 AM »
Raw butter, raw eggs and raw meat.
Link is a good read which may improve your physical well being.

https://ufile.io/ti6xh6pb

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2021, 05:01:35 AM »
It takes a few weeks for your body to acclimate to a new training regimen.

Use too much too soon and you get joint pain.  Your tendons and connective tissues need time to adapt.  This takes awhile.

Your soreness will dissipate.

Reduce your volume so you can train often, like 3-5 times a week.

You don't need to do 4-5 sets of an exercise.  1-3 sets is plenty unless you are doing very low reps, then you need more.  If you can't recover reduce the volume and/or intensity.

Skip the Advil and NSAIDs unless you are injured or in so much pain you can't function, in which case you shouldn't be training.  It will mess you up by allowing you to train through injury.  It also is bad for your stomach. Tylenol is bad for your kidneys. 

If you are in so much pain you need Advil to train you need to rethink your methods.
Don't NSAIDS and Advil cause joint erosion if used before a workout?

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2021, 05:28:31 AM »
Don't NSAIDS and Advil cause joint erosion if used before a workout?

I'm not aware of that but they theoretically stop muscle growth. However, there was a study in the elderly where they gained more strength/muscle if they used NSAIDs. Some who analyzed the study speculate it might have been becaause the drug allowed them to lift harder/heavier due to to the pain killing effects. Makes sense. But I wouldn't use it more than in short bursts against inflammation. I have a training partner who has been on daily diklofenac for 15 years straight. Didn't seem to hurt him althought we don't know where he might have been without it.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2021, 06:40:11 AM »
WARNING: Avoid Aspirin and Ibuprofen If You Have Joint Pain!

https://losethebackpain.com/avoid-ibuprofen-with-joint-pain/

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2021, 07:31:37 AM »
I see a couple of guys have already mentioned Vitamin D - made an enormous difference for me (51).  Thought I was just getting old and creaky, then a blood test showed I was close to rickets! ;D

Mega dosed for a week, then took a maintenance dose from then on during the winter - got rid of 99% of my joint aches, including really painful feet in the morning
T

SweetDaddySiki

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2021, 07:59:40 AM »
Hi! Do you do a split or full body? I say switch to a full body if you're not doing it and do cardio on the other days. Don't be afraid to use walking as your cardio. You'll really drop fat and won't be sore from it. Also, get creative. I'm 55 and I normally do a full body/10 exercises/3 sets of 10 routine 3 days a week and cardio the other 3 days. Sometimes if I feel I'm burning out from  the hour long weight lifting session or if I want to burn more fat, I'll split my full body in half (1st 5 exercises one day, 2nd 5 exercises the next; repeat) and do cardio daily (6 day routine). This routine's actually pretty good for me. Hope this helps!

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2021, 08:54:31 AM »
I decided to simplify my above advices:

Take a couple days off.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2021, 09:08:15 AM »
My 2 cents: common sense. If any routine or movement causes pain that lasts past slight muscle soreness, back off.

That's really about it. Better to stop short of injury or severe fatigue than try to fix it after the fact.

In my years as a competitive cyclist I have found that my greatest progress comes when I under, not over, train.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2021, 09:13:18 AM »
My 2 cents: common sense. If any routine or movement causes pain that lasts past slight muscle soreness, back off.

That's really about it. Better to stop short of injury or severe fatigue than try to fix it after the fact.

In my years as a competitive cyclist I have found that my greatest progress comes when I under, not over, train.

For all the talk of Dorian being the hardest trainer he seemed to me to do just enough to get the most benefit, watch his blood and guts video without the sound of that guy shouting and you will find he doesnt push that much past failure.
His chest tricep routine is pretty tame to be fair

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2021, 09:16:57 AM »
I see a couple of guys have already mentioned Vitamin D - made an enormous difference for me (51).  Thought I was just getting old and creaky, then a blood test showed I was close to rickets! ;D

Mega dosed for a week, then took a maintenance dose from then on during the winter - got rid of 99% of my joint aches, including really painful feet in the morning
One of my many doctors told me I was severely deficient in Vit. D....put me on 1.25MCG`s or 50,000 IU`s to be taken at the beggining of each week.......I feel much better.

Les Grossman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2021, 09:27:02 AM »
One of my many doctors told me I was severely deficient in Vit. D....put me on 1.25MCG`s or 50,000 IU`s to be taken at the beggining of each week.......I feel much better.

To have muscle soreness Bieber, you would have to have muscle.

Sissysquats

• Getbig III
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2021, 09:28:28 AM »
 63 here. I don’t find recovery to be any different than previous years. The one change I made thus far is to exclusively use the ez curl bar on curls, a straight bar tends to aggravate the tendon in my upper forearm by the funny bone. That’s about it. Stretch, regular consistent gym sessions and plenty of rest. I do 4 x a week 50-60 minutes who’s

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2021, 09:35:03 AM »
WARNING: Avoid Aspirin and Ibuprofen If You Have Joint Pain!

https://losethebackpain.com/avoid-ibuprofen-with-joint-pain/
I thought I had read about that years ago. Using them after the workout is better if needed. It's even better to not workout hard when in pain.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2021, 09:43:37 AM »
To have muscle soreness Bieber, you would have to have muscle.
POSTS YOUR PICS homo.  HA HA HA HA HA    ;D

Les Grossman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2021, 09:46:22 AM »
POSTS YOUR PICS homo.  HA HA HA HA HA    ;D

djliftsthings

• Getbig IV
  • RIP Pellius
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2021, 09:56:30 AM »
wowwwow some solid advice in here, thanks everyone. The advil thing is especially noteworthy. Ive been on 5000 mcg vitamin d daily for at least 10 years now, I hate to think where Id be if I wasnt

"

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2021, 04:00:43 AM »
wowwwow some solid advice in here, thanks everyone. The advil thing is especially noteworthy. Ive been on 5000 mcg vitamin d daily for at least 10 years now, I hate to think where Id be if I wasnt

Advil will destroy your stomach and digestive system trust me I know. You need an anti inflammatory and obviously have Pre diabetes marijuana would address both those issues. It is an anti inflammatory with many metabolic benefits it will increase your metabolism and insulin sensitivity reduce your fasting blood sugar and help with your glucose processing