Author Topic: Can push-ups make you big?  (Read 7943 times)

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
Re: Can push-ups make you big?
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2006, 08:09:22 AM »
id like to see 200 plus pounders knock out 100+
yeah i would like to see that too..hahah these dickheads say that 130lbs guys could do 100...hell in college there are a alot of skinny dudes and they can't even do 10 push ups..like i said...............
PUSH UPS ARE FOR REAL GUYS...
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2006, 08:15:50 AM »
In high school I did so many push-ups.  I could do 110 without stopping at all.  My baseball coach was an ex-marine and he had big muscles expecially way back then.  He really got me into pushups.  And yes they can puton size and defitiely increase strength.

When I was in juvenile bootcamp the camp commander was an ex-marine (27years) and retired a Seargent Major, he was a beast and every year set crazy fitness goals for his birthday. One year he did 1000 pushups in a single workout for a goal. He was probably the most overall fit guy I have ever met and he was in his late 50's and over 200lbs solid.
I

theonlyone

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2006, 08:45:12 AM »
There are lots of guys over 200 who can do 100 + push ups
The the the the the

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2006, 09:02:08 AM »
id like to see 200 plus pounders knock out 100+

did 125 none stop to get my name badge back after leaving it on the engine at the fire dept. the other day...raised a few eyebrows on that one...100 is easy..everything after that starts to become a little more difficult!  ;D we do countless bodyweight exercises both in and out of gear at the FD!   Has done wonders for our overall staff health and abilitiy!

I almost had to do it twice...125 one day and another 125 another day for my smartass comment of "125? that's it?"  I had to do them infront of my chief, capt., and all the lieutenants....

pushups are awesome anyway you look at them! and your body will adjust to them VERY fast!   you can change hand position, foot positions, change elevations by putting your feet on top of different things like chairs or stools, use medicine balls, etc.!

you might surprise yourself with what a pushup can do for ya!  ;)

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2006, 09:18:42 AM »

did 125 none stop to get my name badge back after leaving it on the engine at the fire dept. the other day...raised a few eyebrows on that one...100 is easy..everything after that starts to become a little more difficult!  ;D we do countless bodyweight exercises both in and out of gear at the FD!   Has done wonders for our overall staff health and abilitiy!

I almost had to do it twice...125 one day and another 125 another day for my smartass comment of "125? that's it?"  I had to do them infront of my chief, capt., and all the lieutenants....

pushups are awesome anyway you look at them! and your body will adjust to them VERY fast!   you can change hand position, foot positions, change elevations by putting your feet on top of different things like chairs or stools, use medicine balls, etc.!

you might surprise yourself with what a pushup can do for ya!  ;)

yeah maybe you should stop being such a pussy and try them with your legs in the air.

KTMckay

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2006, 09:28:41 AM »
on my last chest set I like to do as many regular pushups  as i can without stopping then i drop to "girl style" pushups and go to failure. I think pushups can help you get bigger. when your muscles adapt to doing 101 after being 99 wouldnt thhey be at least a little bigger when you make 101? they must gain something when you can rep more.... 

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2006, 09:51:49 AM »
That's what I say. I've seen dudes bust out 100 clean push-ups and can't bench shit to save their lives.

No size. Strength...? yeah. Size? No

Thats the difference between functional and non-funtional strength!

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2006, 09:52:27 AM »
yeah maybe you should stop being such a pussy and try them with your legs in the air.

lol look we're talking push ups..not unimaginable feats of strength like those 225lb bnp's of the great alexx's

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2006, 09:58:51 AM »
yes push ups are great if you don't cheat and keep your damn legs off the ground.  It's called a planche push-up. 

Try them also on a stability ball and see how far you get, very difficult movement. Also I'll have my athletes do explosive pushups, I'll set up reebock step (or similar) on each side of them, they start with their hands at a close grip and then explode to a wide grip at the top of the steps, then explode back down!

carvedoutofwood

• Getbig III
  • the flame of the west
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2006, 10:07:01 AM »
world record for push ups= 10507... yes, non stop... theres a great story about the gymnest who held the record b4 the current japanese kid

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2006, 10:13:05 AM »
say WHAT?!  :o

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2006, 10:34:07 AM »
When I was in the Corps, I had a SSgt we all thought was a bodybuilder because he had a huge chest, shoulders, & decent arms.  His Lower body wasn't as near developed.  We asked him all the time on how much he lifted & what his routine was....& he would swear that other than push-ups, pull-ups & dips, he rarely touched the weights.

One day we saw him in the gym, & asked me to spot him doing 225 which he barely got 4 unassisted reps & I assisted him for an additional two.  After the set, he smiled, kind of chuckled at himself & said "I told you guys I don't hardly lift weights".  That was his heavy set.  He then unloaded the bar & went upstairs to do some cardio.

Personally myself...I found it extremely easy to put alot of size with push-ups.  At that time, I did alot of push-ups every day to the point my chest grew out of proportion to everything else. 

Then again...I see tons of guys do reps after reps of push ups, & never build a chest at all.  People like myself, I can do push-ups & totally fatigue my chest muscles.   Where as when I perform a bench press, my shoulders & arms fatigue first before my chest no matter the angle I use, the grip, or elbow placement.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2006, 10:38:25 AM »
do them sometimes as a last exercise on chest workouts to "kill" the chest as Jay Cutler would express it.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2006, 10:58:58 AM »
pushups are great for size, cappilary density, muscle density

muscle density???lol....are u serious man.

you will not make any gains in muscle doing push ups.

i dont care if its 50 push ups or 250...it makes no difference...you can condition the muscles to do the extra push up but it has no impact on the size of the muscle.

weight training, progressive overload, 6-8 reps, heavy basic movements, training to failure....thats how to train for size.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2006, 11:00:42 AM »
hey dont' hate! it's in the "arnold dictionary" !!!  :-X who are you to question the gospel!  >:( ;D

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2006, 11:03:37 AM »

I've seen that theory proved wrong

swilkins1984

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2006, 11:13:55 AM »
I've strapped an old backpack really close to my back with a 45lb plate inside and did push ups.  Really helps with bench press sticking points.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2006, 11:17:23 AM »
Thats the difference between functional and non-funtional strength!

Exactly.  I would put money on any gymnast outdoing a muscled guy from the gym in pushups for reps.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2006, 03:38:28 PM »
started with pushups
choice is an illusion

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2006, 03:41:31 PM »
knny was in the corps?!
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2006, 05:38:29 PM »

i dont care if its 50 push ups or 250...it makes no difference...you can condition the muscles to do the extra push up but it has no impact on the size of the muscle.
The funniest thing is that plenty of knuckleheads think that weighted chins or dips are fantastic, yet it doesn't occur to them that the same types of benefits happen with pushups using extra resistance...DUH!

Completely wrong. Calisthenics in general-pushups, chins, dips without weights will more than anything create  density and an athletic, hard, natural look. Add resistance to any of those exercises will increase the size potential. The guy who could only do 225 lb. bench after all the pushups would quickly get stronger once he got used to doing it.

jem123

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2006, 06:00:41 PM »
While push ups are a good exercise you will be limited to the amount of actual size you can put on with them. The key to building muscle is progressive resistance. Push ups do not provide enough progressive resistance for long term muscle gains.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2006, 06:10:50 PM »
The key to building muscle is progressive resistance. Push ups do not provide enough progressive resistance for long term muscle gains.
Once again, pushups are no different from chins or dips-add weight and you'll get size. Without the added weight you get a more athletic, dense look than weights will provide.

jem123

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2006, 08:10:02 PM »
Once again, pushups are no different from chins or dips-add weight and you'll get size. Without the added weight you get a more athletic, dense look than weights will provide.

You will get a more athletic, dense look than weights will provide?

What do you mean by dense? Are you saying that push ups will make your muscles more dense than lifting. I hope not because you would be completley wrong.

While i understand the merits of doing push ups to suggest they are superior to lifting weights is absolute nonesense. 

They will not give you a more athletic or dense look to your muscles than lifting. period.

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2006, 08:12:31 PM »
Some dudes actually think they can put on some size doing push-ups.

I do them, but don't rely on them for size.

They only make you BIG in one bodypart and then only when you are doing them on top of that special lady....or in the case of adonis....behind that speical fella.
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!