Author Topic: Can push-ups make you big?  (Read 7944 times)

swilkins1984

• Getbig IV
Re: Can push-ups make you big?
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2006, 08:36:08 PM »
Good for exhausting the pecs after a good chest workout or pre-exhaustion before the bench presses so your arms don't give out before the pics get fully worked.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2006, 12:51:13 AM »
The secret is to "clap" at the top of the push up.  Make sure to clap hard and do these in the middle of the gym, so people actually have to walk around you.  These work wonders and the women love it. ;)
N

Bear

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2006, 03:11:45 AM »
I can't believe we're talking about this again.....If this were true then eveybody in the US Army would walk around with huge dense muscular chests.  I know plenty of 130lbs guys who can knock out 100-120 PU with perfect form in 2 minutes.. None of these guys can bench more the 150 lbs with horrible form. I think u can do diamonds..u can use them to burn out..u can use them to warm up..but for size..no way.

Well I have a relatively genetically gifted friend who put on a good 15 pounds from pushups, just doing them every night he got obviously a bigger chest but also abdominal development from the static stability element of the exercise and a fair amount of shoulder and arm size from the compound stimulation. Didn't work so well for me cos I'm a fat ass endo-morph and he's a lucky meso-mofo. Anyway they can work wonders for normal natural folk under 220

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2006, 04:25:36 AM »
Since i saw too many strange thing in my life.
I tell you guys one.(Maybe Ofend Sarcasm again..)

Rickson Gracie(Well he is too famous) gains his muscle until 200lbs with ONLY PUSH UP.
As some guys know, he is a strong believer of the mental power because of his Yoga experience.

According to him, he used to do push up with IMAGING A LOT OF WEIGHT ON HIS BACK!
He says that if your imagination is strong enough,anything will be coverted into material.

Just incredible.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2006, 04:27:16 AM »
id like to see 200 plus pounders knock out 100+

I'm 220 how many do u want me to do....I usually do 80 perfect in a minute 30....perfect according to Army standard anyway. No head bobs and fully locked at the top.....I've been doing em for years.  U do ur 5 min thing..I guess i could do 100 or so in about 2:15.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2006, 04:36:30 AM »
I respect Rush and Pumpster on their training advice but some of u guys are crazy. Now if ur talking adding a ball..elevating..wearing equipment etc..then yeah I can see how they help. I make my guys do them wearing our vests. But as far as just the plain old shoulder width push up...good warm up..some strength..good burn....not the same as what we all do at the gym. U can tell guys who don't lift but work push ups..the chest development (if lean) looks a certain way. Same with pull ups. 3 pages this time not bad.... :P
L

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2006, 04:46:52 AM »
He he they are very good for a good pump before you show your pecs, but for an experienced athlete ,you have to to put on more resistance, like having your girlfriend humping you from the back ;D

U.K GOLD knows all about this.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2006, 05:46:04 AM »
I used to do alot of pushups wen i started working out (16), would do sets of 30 normal hand placement, 30 wide 30 close. I found it probs built my tris and gave me 1st signs of pecs, but im not sure how much i got from them really or what i would get from them now.

we'v always done them at rugby for punishments or wen we do circuits in pre-season. We do as many as we can in a minute, im not sure if my numbers are any good but i did 60 in a minute (thats probs bad but thats wat i can do).

Routine i follow at mo has me doing either power pushups (clapping/added resistence) or dips. So iv always done weighted dips.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2006, 10:39:06 AM »
Also for u press-up lovers, i knew a guy who was gonna try get into the army and knew he would b pushed hard at pushups/chins etc, but liked doing bodybuilding movements so altered his routine.

He did Cleans, shoulder press and T-bar rows on monday (rotated with deadlifts) 3 or 4 sets of each then he would do 4 sets pressups, weighted dips and weighted chins (weighted dips and chins with minimum of 10 reps).

Wednesday was legs (pretty normal leg routine) followed by 4 sets pressups, weighted dips and weighted chins (weighted dips and chins with minimum of 10 reps). Though sometimes he only did the leg on wednesday.

Friday was Db bench (mayb incline aswell), BB shrugs, about 4 sets of each. then 4 sets pressups, weighted dips and weighted chins (weighted dips and chins with minimum of 10 reps).

tusday thursday he did sum interval work. he grew well on this, sumhow. though i never really signed up for that sort of thing.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2006, 04:06:50 PM »
knny was in the corps?!

Hard to believe?

;)