Author Topic: Can push-ups make you big?  (Read 7965 times)

DragonsBreath

• Getbig III
  • Been to Hell and back! NEXT!
Can push-ups make you big?
« on: October 10, 2006, 08:57:21 PM »
Some dudes actually think they can put on some size doing push-ups.

I do them, but don't rely on them for size.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Re: Can push-ups make you big?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 09:06:10 PM »
pushups are great for size, cappilary density, muscle density, a way to increase stored energy. you muscles are pure energy, pushups exert alot of energy
A

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 09:44:46 PM »
Pushups are a great way to build up your bench press. Do 2-3 sets of 50 reps every night before you sleep. It won't be enough to make you sore, but will increase your bench by 20-30 lbs within a month. Try it.

Special "Worthless Tips" Ed
BigNationRadio.com

DragonsBreath

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 09:59:20 PM »
Hershel Walker said that he only did push-ups his entire career. And he had some size on him.

siouxcountry

• Getbig IV
  • Team Ripitupbaby!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 10:04:21 PM »
If a beginner can only do 3 correct push ups and three months down the road can do 30, he obviously gained some size.

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 10:05:21 PM »
yes push ups are great if you don't cheat and keep your damn legs off the ground.  It's called a planche push-up. 

DragonsBreath

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 10:07:11 PM »
If a beginner can only do 3 correct push ups and three months down the road can do 30, he obviously gained some size.

Don't confuse SIZE with STRENGTH.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 10:13:51 PM »
In high school I did so many push-ups.  I could do 110 without stopping at all.  My baseball coach was an ex-marine and he had big muscles expecially way back then.  He really got me into pushups.  And yes they can puton size and defitiely increase strength.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 10:16:18 PM »
I can't believe we're talking about this again.....If this were true then eveybody in the US Army would walk around with huge dense muscular chests.  I know plenty of 130lbs guys who can knock out 100-120 PU with perfect form in 2 minutes.. None of these guys can bench more the 150 lbs with horrible form. I think u can do diamonds..u can use them to burn out..u can use them to warm up..but for size..no way.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 10:17:58 PM »
In high school I did so many push-ups.  I could do 110 without stopping at all.  My baseball coach was an ex-marine and he had big muscles expecially way back then.  He really got me into pushups.  And yes they can puton size and defitiely increase strength.

He was a Marine so i imagine that he got that way from pullups..which is a much better exercise. I'm in the Army..we do these damm things every day...they do very little for size..my opinion of course.
L

DragonsBreath

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 10:20:05 PM »
I can't believe we're talking about this again.....If this were true then eveybody in the US Army would walk around with huge dense muscular chests.  I know plenty of 130lbs guys who can knock out 100-120 PU with perfect form in 2 minutes.. None of these guys can bench more the 150 lbs with horrible form. I think u can do diamonds..u can use them to burn out..u can use them to warm up..but for size..no way.

That's what I say. I've seen dudes bust out 100 clean push-ups and can't bench shit to save their lives.

No size. Strength...? yeah. Size? No

TheEgoCrusher

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 10:23:12 PM »
Hershel Walker said that he only did push-ups his entire career. And he had some size on him.

Herschel Walker also claimed he only ate one meal a day....  ::)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 10:31:08 PM »
That's what I say. I've seen dudes bust out 100 clean push-ups and can't bench shit to save their lives.

No size. Strength...? yeah. Size? No

The first line describing the exercise in our manual mentions that its a test of muscular endurance. DW loves these things..more power to him but not for guys who want that monster chest.
L

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 12:06:59 AM »
He was a Marine so i imagine that he got that way from pullups..which is a much better exercise. I'm in the Army..we do these damm things every day...they do very little for size..my opinion of course.

Yes he did pullups and dips.  He was very strong.  Not a tall guy.  He was japanese.  But he had great arms and chest.  Built really good.  He was one of my first inspirations and also the one who got me into weightlifting.  He was our varsity baseball coach too and I made it on varsity my freshman year but he told me I needed to get some size. I weighed 130.  My sophmore year I weighed 175 and graduated at 210. 

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 12:10:22 AM »
Don't confuse SIZE with STRENGTH.

I know what you're saying is atypical of how we'd all respond but what he is saying is true.  There is no doubt that a newbie would be larger after having an increase like that.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 12:22:23 AM »
The first line describing the exercise in our manual mentions that its a test of muscular endurance. DW loves these things..more power to him but not for guys who want that monster chest.

Fantastic for combat athletes.  If you destabilize the base by using bosu, swiss, or medicine balls, it makes it that much more effective. 

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 12:23:12 AM »
come on people push-ups are the best known workout there.it gives your body an incredible pump..it might not give you the shape of a bodybuilder put still pump up your whole body..it works the chest,triceps,back and shoulders..push ups are for real men..a guy who does a alot of push ups can easily beat a guy who benches 300lbs or so...push improves strength,size and endurance..i do 15 sets of push ups once a week..this is the real shit..
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

siouxcountry

• Getbig IV
  • Team Ripitupbaby!
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 12:35:24 AM »
Yeah everyone knows guys 130 pounds who can do a 100 push ups. These guys are usually solid muscle, if not for the bodyweight exercises they'd be even smaller. Bodyweight exercises do add muscle, as it is a form of resistance training.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2006, 03:34:01 AM »
They will give you a very athletic look combined with a certain degree of size. To gain more size, increase the reps then eventually add resistance just as you would with chins or dips.

Anyone claiming they won't help with size hasn't done enough reps or increased resistance.

backday

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2006, 04:00:11 AM »
He he they are very good for a good pump before you show your pecs, but for an experienced athlete ,you have to to put on more resistance, like having your girlfriend jumping on your back ;D

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 04:04:29 AM »
let us all stop doing benches, dips etc and just do push ups for that big size
yeah

great thread
Z

jumpstart

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 05:18:24 AM »
I should start doing push-ups. Thanks for the tip!

sinbad

• Getbig III
  • Chest like Arnold!
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 07:25:08 AM »
Just yesterday my work out partner was talking about a friend of his who had push up bars that give you a greater range of motion when doing push ups and how great they are, I had 315 on the bar at the time, and I started giving him shit about how push up were for girls, and that you got to push weight to get cock diesel. I was just messin with him.. but you know really push ups are for people who don't work out ;D

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2006, 07:26:09 AM »
I can't believe we're talking about this again.....If this were true then eveybody in the US Army would walk around with huge dense muscular chests.  I know plenty of 130lbs guys who can knock out 100-120 PU with perfect form in 2 minutes.. None of these guys can bench more the 150 lbs with horrible form. I think u can do diamonds..u can use them to burn out..u can use them to warm up..but for size..no way.

id like to see 200 plus pounders knock out 100+
A

Tokyo Joe

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2006, 08:04:32 AM »
Push ups are for people with kids who can't get to the gym

If you've got a gym membership, why would you bother..