Author Topic: Good News From Iraq  (Read 8034 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Good News From Iraq
« on: March 21, 2007, 11:42:58 AM »
Look what I found.   :)  http://goodnewsiraq.com/index2.htm 

Brace yourselves.  There is actually good news from Iraq.  Who knew?  (Obviously not CNN). 

Among the things reported on this site:

Iraqi Soldiers Take Lead on Riyadh Mission
RIYADH, Iraq, March 21, 2007 — The Iraqi army soldiers’ flashlights pierce the darkness as they search the Riyadh marketplace for any wires or materials that may indicate the emplacement of an improvised explosive device in the area. Story

Engineers Help Iraqis Hone Construction Skills
DAHUK, Iraq, March 21, 2007 — A class of Iraqi engineers completed a four-day course in construction quality management, enhancing their job skills to achieve a quality product safely, on time and within budget. Story

Investigative Techniques Counter Terrorists
COMBAT OUTPOST ELLIS, Iraq, March 21, 2007 — Marines are currently using crime scene investigation techniques to help combat insurgents in ongoing operations in Iraq. Story

Sailors Help Feed Babies at Djibouti Orphanage
Some

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
Re: Good News From Iraq
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 11:54:03 AM »
WHOA!!! Easy beach we might overload them with facts!!! Notice how quiet it has been today? All these facts have them stumped
gotta love life

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 11:56:57 AM »
Someone is undoubtedly furiously trying to discredit the web site.   :)  This certainly helps prove the point we've been trying to make about CNN (and other outlets) failing to report good news from Iraq. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 12:02:09 PM »
This certainly helps prove the point we've been trying to make about CNN (and other outlets) failing to report good news from Iraq. 

I agree.

Some how a suicide bomber in a local market full of families and the deaths of US service men seem to garner more attention and thus are deemed more news worthy and or larger issues by the major news networks.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 12:03:09 PM »
Bwahaha,

Wait wait, you mean humans can now spot IEDs with flashlights? Shall I send them some batteries for their flashlights, or can the US find some change to cover the cost while not building swimming pools.

Hold on, great news CSI will be having a episode in Iraq now, glad to see were using up to date techniques for figting insurgents, hey do we still have plywood in humvees for protection against IEDS?

Whoa, Ivy league 4 day engineering school huh, wish you told the US engineers about that quality management course. Would have saved US over 10 billion so far according to the Defense Department

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 12:03:57 PM »
great..glad to see my tax dollars feeding iraqi babies while babies here in america go hungry..or katrina victims are still living in trailers almost two years after the fact...while the federal govt nickles and dimes them about government aid...maybe you guys missed the whole walter reed thing but i'd hope our govt would first take care of our own before we sent another dime to get embezzled in iraq...  
footloose and fancy free

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 12:05:43 PM »
I agree.

Some how a suicide bomber in a local market full of families and the deaths of US service men seem to garner more attention and thus are deemed more news worthy and or larger issues by the major news networks.

It's much more sinister than that IMO.  They refuse to report good news, and focus almost exclusively on bad news, in an attempt to influence public opinion.  

If they were truly reporting the news and not involved in some campaign, they would report all of it.  Good and bad.  

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 12:07:09 PM »
great..glad to see my tax dollars feeding iraqi babies while babies here in america go hungry..or katrina victims are still living in trailers almost two years after the fact...while the federal govt nickles and dimes them about government aid...maybe you guys missed the whole walter reed thing but i'd hope our govt would first take care of our own before we sent another dime to get embezzled in iraq...  

Actually alot of the trailers went un used. A buddy of mine flew out to Arkansas and Louisiana and bought around 20 of them, some 60 cents on the dollar and some 20 cents on the dollar. Mind you this was just a few weeks ago right after that tornado killed all those kids in Alabama in school. And also in Mississippi which left hundredsof American Families homeless.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 12:08:07 PM »
WASHINGTON, March 19, 2007 – Army officials this morning launched a new hotline to help wounded warriors and their family members to get information or assistance with medical or other issues.
The “Wounded Soldier and Family Hotline,” 1-800-984-8523, also will help Army leaders improve services to wounded soldiers and their families, officials said.

I guess the liberal media really messed up when it reported on walter reed too....NOW, they HAVE to take care of the wounded and maimed..instead of just ignoring them.
footloose and fancy free

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 12:11:23 PM »
Actually alot of the trailers went un used. A buddy of mine flew out to Arkansas and Louisiana and bought around 20 of them, some 60 cents on the dollar and some 20 cents on the dollar. Mind you this was just a few weeks ago right after that tornado killed all those kids in Alabama in school. And also in Mississippi which left hundredsof American Families homeless.

boy, did you clean up....i'm wondering how much FEMA paid for those things in the first place.
footloose and fancy free

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 12:14:20 PM »
WASHINGTON, March 19, 2007 – Army officials this morning launched a new hotline to help wounded warriors and their family members to get information or assistance with medical or other issues.
The “Wounded Soldier and Family Hotline,” 1-800-984-8523, also will help Army leaders improve services to wounded soldiers and their families, officials said.

I guess the liberal media really messed up when it reported on walter reed too....NOW, they HAVE to take care of the wounded and maimed..instead of just ignoring them.

Walter reed and every other army medical facility (like the one I use daily) serve as a prime example why free medical care for everyone isn't as great as it seems
gotta love life

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 12:16:23 PM »
It's much more sinister than that IMO.  They refuse to report good news, and focus almost exclusively on bad news, in an attempt to influence public opinion. 

If they were truly reporting the news and not involved in some campaign, they would report all of it.  Good and bad. 

The nature of news has never been to report "good" things as a matter of practice.  If the "bad" things happening in Iraq were in spectrum of normal every day life and that's all they were reporting i believe your assertion would carry itself strongly.  But what's going on in Iraq is far and away above the normal run of "bad" things happening such as muggings, theft, murder rape etc... 

We are talking about a general instability virtually everywhere where people can't even go to school or a market without fear.  We caused this!  And after 4 years it doesn't look any better.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 12:17:17 PM »
The nature of news has never been to report "good" things as a matter of practice.  If the "bad" things happening in Iraq were in spectrum of normal every day life and that's all they were reporting i believe your assertion would carry itself strongly.  But what's going on in Iraq is far and away above the normal run of "bad" things happening such as muggings, theft, murder rape etc... 

We are talking about a general instability virtually everywhere where people can't even go to school or a market without fear.  We caused this!  And after 4 years it doesn't look any better.

Did you tell that to the Kurds in the North?
gotta love life

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 12:24:56 PM »
Did you tell that to the Kurds in the North?

Send me their E-mail addresses all of them and I'll e-mail right now. 

Curious, maybe you know this off the top of you head,  how many Kurds are currently living in Iraq? 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 12:26:04 PM »
One very good thing, out of this invasion was the Kurds.  They are getting repressed by Saddam any longer.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 12:27:08 PM »
Send me their E-mail addresses all of them and I'll e-mail right now. 

Curious, maybe you know this off the top of you head,  how many Kurds are currently living in Iraq? 

I don't know for sure, but I do know that in Northern Iraq things are much better than under Saddam when he was gassing them. I mean calling Baghdad "Iraq" is like saying the state of New York is in dire straits because of the shit happening in NYC...
gotta love life

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 12:29:46 PM »
I don't know for sure, but I do know that in Northern Iraq things are much better than under Saddam when he was gassing them. I mean calling Baghdad "Iraq" is like saying the state of New York is in dire straits because of the shit happening in NYC...

The violence is just happening in Iraq.  If Baghdad was the only problem we'd be in soo much better shape. 

But it's not.  there are whole towns we can't go into unless we are armed to the teeth right?  Or at least squad level or higher?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 12:31:34 PM »

I agree that "bad news" is often the flavor of the day for the media in general.  Those are often the headlines.  But they always report some good news too.  Not so with the war.  Yes there are significant problems, but there are also great things happening too.  You have to dig to find out those great things.  

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2007, 12:32:27 PM »
The violence is just happening in Iraq.  If Baghdad was the only problem we'd be in soo much better shape. 

But it's not.  there are whole towns we can't go into unless we are armed to the teeth right?  Or at least squad level or higher?

I don't want you to think I disagree with you, we are a long ways from having a peaceful Iraq. I just want to watch Katie COuric one time and hear her say "some good news from Iraq today"...Just ONE time
gotta love life

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 12:43:34 PM »
I don't want you to think I disagree with you, we are a long ways from having a peaceful Iraq. I just want to watch Katie COuric one time and hear her say "some good news from Iraq today"...Just ONE time

I agree with both of you on this. 

The point is made, good news isn't being reported.

The point that  "They refuse to report good news, and focus almost exclusively on bad news, in an attempt to influence public opinion"  I don't believe is true as a deliberate act intentially by the media.  It's like your are accusing them of a conspiracy when in fact it's probably more like the nature of the beast 

However didn't they (major news media) report some of the positive effects of the troop surge just recently in a good light? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2007, 12:51:41 PM »
I agree with both of you on this. 

The point is made, good news isn't being reported.

The point that  "They refuse to report good news, and focus almost exclusively on bad news, in an attempt to influence public opinion"  I don't believe is true as a deliberate act intentially by the media.  It's like your are accusing them of a conspiracy when in fact it's probably more like the nature of the beast 

However didn't they (major news media) report some of the positive effects of the troop surge just recently in a good light? 

I should probably say that I really hate the media in general.  In my view, they are always trying to manipulate public opinion and do things like, among other things, play the "race card."  The media also has no conscience.  This is probably another subject, but it helps explain in part why I am so cynical.     

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2007, 01:00:55 PM »
I should probably say that I really hate the media in general.  In my view, they are always trying to manipulate public opinion and do things like, among other things, play the "race card."  The media also has no conscience.  This is probably another subject, but it helps explain in part why I am so cynical.     

Yeah you are kind of cynical.....lol

But i see that from you only in politics.

I guess this is why it's important to get news from as many different sources as possible.

When i comes to the Niner's we are optimists  ;D,  you gonna draft Ashley if you can as a third receiver or back up?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 01:01:50 PM »
RIYADH, Iraq, March 21, 2007 — The Iraqi army soldiers’ flashlights pierce the darkness as they search the Riyadh marketplace for any wires or materials that may indicate the emplacement of an improvised explosive device in the area.

It's 'good news' that they're looking for explosive devices at the market??

DAHUK, Iraq, March 21, 2007 — A class of Iraqi engineers completed a four-day course in construction quality management, enhancing their job skills to achieve a quality product safely, on time and within budget.

A four-day course teaches them how to build a safe building???  

COMBAT OUTPOST ELLIS, Iraq, March 21, 2007 — Marines are currently using crime scene investigation techniques to help combat insurgents in ongoing operations in Iraq.

"Hey guys, come see what I learned on CSI last night."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2007, 01:08:15 PM »
Yeah you are kind of cynical.....lol

But i see that from you only in politics.

I guess this is why it's important to get news from as many different sources as possible.

When i comes to the Niner's we are optimists  ;D,  you gonna draft Ashley if you can as a third receiver or back up?

Are you trying to say that was an understatement?   :D

All we talk about is politics on this board.  For the most part.  I'll be happy to give my views on the media and race and the nonexistent "media conscience" in another thread.   :) 

I am with you on the Niners.  We'll be back!  It's way early, but as of now I see Lelie as a low WR2 or WR3.  What about you?  I almost always draft WRs late, so he could very well end up on my team.  I'm very excited for him.  I saw pretty much all of his college games.  Great addition for the Niners.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2007, 01:10:42 PM »
Are you trying to say that was an understatement?   :D

All we talk about is politics on this board.  For the most part.  I'll be happy to give my views on the media and race and the nonexistent "media conscience" in another thread.   :) 

I am with you on the Niners.  We'll be back!  It's way early, but as of now I see Lelie as a low WR2 or WR3.  What about you?  I almost always draft WRs late, so he could very well end up on my team.  I'm very excited for him.  I saw pretty much all of his college games.  Great addition for the Niners.

I didn't know we had some fellow fantasy footballers in here. We might have to have a political board leauge next year! Any baseball guys in here?
gotta love life