Author Topic: The Official Biden Foot in Mouth aka Weekend at Biden's Thread  (Read 103222 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
The Official Biden Foot in Mouth aka Weekend at Biden's Thread
« on: September 23, 2008, 03:40:50 PM »
Check back for daily updates.   :)

Obama Chides Biden for Off-Message Interview
by FOXNews.com
Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Barack Obama and Joe Biden stepped out of sync again Tuesday, as the Democratic presidential nominee criticized his running mate for voicing opposition to the government bailout of American International Group early last week.

It was the second off-message moment for the Democratic team in two days. Biden had to ratchet back his own rhetoric Monday after an interview aired in which he called one of his own campaign ads “terrible.”

The lack of harmony suggests the Obama team, for months a rancor-free institution, is running into the kind of message discipline problems that John McCain’s campaign faced before he started to cut back his interaction with reporters.

The latest friction happened when Obama was asked on NBC’s “Today Show” about why he criticized McCain for initially opposing a federal bailout of AIG when Biden was also speaking out against it.

“I think … that in that situation, I think Joe should have waited, as well,” Obama said.

He was referring to Biden’s interview with NBC last Tuesday in which he said, “I don’t think (AIG) should be bailed out by the federal government.”

That echoed McCain’s comment the same day. But all the while Obama had stayed relatively mum on the crisis at AIG. He released a statement last Wednesday expressing his hopes for the rescue plans, but did not give a clear verdict on whether he supported the plan.

Having censured Biden for his remarks, Obama continued to criticize McCain Tuesday for initially opposing federal action on AIG.

“(McCain) said the government should stand aside and allow one of the nation’s largest insurers, AIG, to collapse,” Obama said. ” I think what has been clear during this entire past 10 days is John McCain has not had clarity and a grasp on the situation.”

The internal static, however, was not quite as pronounced as when Biden denounced his own campaign’s ad the day before.

In an interview with CBS News, the Delaware senator took issue with an attack ad from his own side that criticized McCain for his lack of savvy when it comes to computers and e-mail.

“I thought that was terrible by the way,” Biden said. “I didn’t know we did it and if I had anything to do with it, we would have never done it.”

The McCain campaign pounced on the statement, and Biden later issued a clarification.

“Having now reviewed the ad, it is even more clear to me that given the disgraceful tenor of Senator McCain’s ads and their persistent falsehoods, his campaign is in no position to criticize,” Biden later said, criticizing McCain for an ad accusing Obama of voting to teach kindergartners about sex. The Obama campaign has said the bill would help children avoid predators.

Biden also raised eyebrows two weeks ago when he said Hillary Clinton “might have been a better pick than me” to be Obama’s running mate.

While Obama has worked intently to patch up the rifts between his campaign and supporters loyal to Clinton, he hasn’t gone so far as to say Clinton would be a better running mate.

Biden, however, told the audience at a town hall meeting in New Hampshire that Clinton “is as qualified or more qualified than I am to be vice president of the United States of America.”

He was responding to an audience member who criticized Clinton.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/23/obama-chides-biden-for-off-message-interview/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: The Official Biden Foot in Mouth Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 04:57:53 PM »
It's pretty funny.  I heard that today on Rush.  THAT is biggest possible fucccup from Camp Lib thus far?   Slight miscommunications?  minor differences between Senatorial opinions?

6 weeks from election day.  That's it?  I hope you're not assigning the same weight to his praising Clinton as you will when a whitey tape emerges, or when obama admits he's a muslim, etc.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 12:46:08 PM »
Unlike Clinton, Biden Gets Pass for Saying He Was 'Shot At' in Iraq
When Hillary Clinton told a tall tale about "landing under sniper fire" in Bosnia, she was accused of "inflating her war experience" by Barack Obama's campaign -- but the campaign has been silent about Joe Biden telling his own questionable story about being "shot at" in Iraq. 
By Bill Sammon

FOXNews.com

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

When Hillary Clinton told a tall tale about "landing under sniper fire" in Bosnia, she was accused of "inflating her war experience" by rival Democrat Barack Obama's campaign.

But the campaign has been silent about Obama's running mate, Joe Biden, telling his own questionable story about being "shot at" in Iraq.

"Let's start telling the truth," Biden said during a presidential primary debate sponsored by YouTube last year. "Number one, you take all the troops out - you better have helicopters ready to take those 3,000 civilians inside the Green Zone, where I have been seven times and shot at. You better make sure you have protection for them, or let them die."

But when questioned about the episode afterward by the Hill newspaper, Biden backpedaled from his claim of being "shot at" and instead allowed: "I was near where a shot landed."

The senior senator from Delaware went on to say that some sort of projectile "landed" outside a building in the Green Zone where he and another senator had spent the night during a visit in December 2005. The lawmakers were shaving in the morning when they felt the building shake, Biden said.

"No one got up and ran from the room-it wasn't that kind of thing," he told the Hill. "It's not like I had someone holding a gun to my head."

The rest of the press ignored the flap at the time because Biden was viewed as having little chance of ending up on the Democratic presidential ticket. But even after Biden was selected to be Obama's running mate last month, his claim to have been "shot at" drew no scrutiny from the same reporters who had savaged Clinton for making a similar claim that turned out to be false.

FOX News has been asking the Obama campaign for details of the alleged shooting in Iraq ever since Biden was tapped to be vice president. Biden campaign spokesman David Wade promised an answer last week, but failed to provide one.

Meanwhile, the gaffe-prone Biden has again raised eyebrows with another story about his exploits in war zones - this time in Afghanistan. Biden said he will grill Republican rival Sarah Palin in Thursday's vice presidential debate about "the superhighway of terror between Pakistan and Afghanistan where my helicopter was forced down."

"If you want to know where Al Qaeda lives, you want to know where Bin Laden is, come back to Afghanistan with me," Biden bragged to the National Guard Association. "Come back to the area where my helicopter was forced down, with a three-star general and three senators at 10,500 feet in the middle of those mountains. I can tell you where they are."

But it turns out that inclement weather, not terrorists, prompted the chopper to land in an open field during Biden's visit to Afghanistan in February. Fighter jets kept watch overhead while a convoy of security vehicles was dispatched to retrieve Biden and fellow Senators Chuck Hagel and John Kerry.

"We were going to send Biden out to fight the Taliban with snowballs, but we didn't have to," joked Kerry, a Democrat, to the AP. "Other than getting a little cold, it was fine."

Biden never explicitly claimed his chopper had been forced down by terrorists. Nonetheless,

John McCain spokesman Brian Rogers said Obama-Biden officials have been less than forthcoming about Biden's dramatic war stories.

"They never explained Biden's helicopter story from last week - which is very similar to the story about getting 'shot at' in Baghdad," Rogers said.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/30/unlike-clinton-biden-gets-pass-saying-shot-iraq/

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 02:47:19 PM »
 :D
W

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 05:08:21 PM »
Did Biden Get It Wrong? You Betcha
Monday, October 06, 2008

By John R. Lott, Jr.

E-Mail Print Share:

When you interview for a job, here is a hint: make sure you know what the job is. Joe Biden failed that test last Thursday. He couldn’t even get right what a vice president does, but the media didn’t notice.

The media is all over itself about how smart and experienced Biden is. Political analyst Charlie Cook is quoted in the Washington Post on Saturday as saying “Biden is clearly so much more knowledgeable, by a factor of about a million.” Saturday Night Live does a skit about Biden being smart, if slimy. Meanwhile, Governor Sarah Palin is treated as being nothing more than a simpleton.

Yet, take Biden’s statement from the debate on the role of the vice president:

Vice President Cheney has been the most dangerous vice president we've had probably in American history. The idea he doesn't realize that Article I of the Constitution defines the role of the vice president of the United States, that's the Executive Branch. He works in the Executive Branch. He should understand that. Everyone should understand that.

And the primary role of the vice president of the United States of America is to support the president of the United States of America, give that president his or her best judgment when sought, and as vice president, to preside over the Senate, only in a time when in fact there's a tie vote. The Constitution is explicit.

The only authority the vice president has from the legislative standpoint is the vote, only when there is a tie vote. He has no authority relative to the Congress. The idea he's part of the Legislative Branch is a bizarre notion invented by Cheney to aggrandize the power of a unitary executive, and look where it has gotten us. It has been very dangerous.

One should be careful when throwing around terms such as “most dangerous” and “bizarre.” But Biden is confusing which part of the Constitution covers the Executive Branch (it is Article II, not Article I). More importantly, the notion that the vice president can preside over the Senate only when there is a tie vote is simply wrong. Nor is it true that the only legislative involvement the vice president has is to break tie votes. The vice president is the president of the Senate, where he interprets the rules and can only be overridden by a vote of 60 senators.

Early vice presidents spent a lot of time in the Senate. Thomas Jefferson even spent his time writing “A Manual of Parliamentary Practice: for the Use of the Senate of the United States.” Modern vice presidents may show up only when they think tie votes will occur, but that is their choice.

This isn’t rocket science. The Constitution on this point is very straightforward: “The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided.”

Instead, it was Palin who got it right. Besides correctly stating that the vice president holds positions in both the executive and legislative branches, she also noted that:

Of course, we know what a vice president does. And that's not only to preside over the Senate and will take that position very seriously also. I'm thankful the Constitution would allow a bit more authority given to the vice president if that vice president so chooses to exert it in working with the Senate and making sure that we are supportive of the president's policies and making sure too that our president understands what our strengths are.

But just as the vice president’s job includes more than simply being ready to assume the presidency if the president dies, the Constitution merely states what the vice president’s minimum responsibilities are.

Compare the uproar over Palin’s answer to Charlie Gibson about the “Bush Doctrine,” a doctrine that Gibson clearly didn’t understand and for which there apparently exist at least four different versions. Where is the outrage over Biden not understanding what vice presidents do? For Biden, his inability to correctly say what vice presidents do was surely his “gotcha” moment.

Yet, this mistake during the debate was hardly unique. Biden got a lot of things wrong in the debate that are going unnoticed by the fact-check media. Take just a few:

-- Will McCain's health care proposals raise taxes? Biden says that McCain’s proposal will cost people money. The Tax Foundation finds that could easily be "roughly deficit-neutral over ten years."

-- Under an Obama Administration the middle class will "pay no more than they did under Ronald Reagan"? No, the tax rates will be similar to the higher rates under Clinton.

-- Did "we spend more money in three weeks on combat in Iraq than we spent on the entirety of the last seven years that we have been in Afghanistan building that country"? No, one year’s worth of spending in Iraq equaled five in Afghanistan.

-- France and the U.S. "kicked Hezbollah out of Lebanon"? No, and it wouldn't have made much more sense if he had said "Syria" instead.

-- Is it really “simply not true” that Obama said that he would meet with the leader of countries such as Iran without preconditions? No, Obama said “I would.”

-- Did Obama warn against letting Hamas participate in Palestinian legislative elections in 2005? No.

-- Do “Iraqis have an $80 billion surplus”? No. If oil prices had remained high, it might have reached $50 billion by the end of this year.

-- Finally, an amusing point as evidence that Biden is just one of the people he pointed to, inviting anyone to have a beer with him at "Katie's Restaurant" in Wilmington, Del. Unfortunately, people will have a hard time taking him up on his offer, since the restaurant hasn't had that name for probably 15 years.

Unfortunately, voters who are trying to get an accurate count on whether the candidates are telling the truth can’t rely on the media. FactCheck.org mentions only one of these points, the size of the Iraqi surplus. The Washington Post mentioned Biden’s misstatement on Hamas and Katie’s restaurant. AOL’s coverage of the errors in the vice presidential debate was by far the worst, though that might not be too surprising given that Tommy Christopher, who wrote their news analysis, also blogs on the Obama Web site. None of these checkers mentioned Biden's statements about the role of the vice president.

Compare this to the attacks on Sarah Palin:

-- FactCheck.org criticizes Palin for claiming that McCain’s health care tax credits will be "budget neutral" – they argue that the tax credit will be larger than the new taxes that the program will impose. Fine, but if the people at FactCheck.org believe that is true and that the Tax Foundation is wrong, Biden’s claim about increased taxes is even more inaccurate. But FactCheck.org doesn't even mention Biden’s statement from the debate.

-- From AOL's news analysis piece. “Palin: Said that it is untrue that the U.S. is killing civilians in Afghanistan. According to an analysis by the AP, however, the U.S. is killing more civilians than insurgents are.”

What Palin actually said was: “Now, Barack Obama had said that all we're doing in Afghanistan is air-raiding villages and killing civilians.” Whether one believes the AP estimate or not, the question is whether she was accurately characterizing Obama’s statement of the job that our forces were doing. And Obama said, “We’ve got to get the job done there and that requires us to have enough troops so that we’re not just air-raiding villages and killing civilians” (emphasis added).

-- FactCheck.org’s first critique claims that Palin was wrong to claim that troop levels in Iraq are down to their pre-surge levels. They are correct that after the recently announced drawdown, 6,000 more troops will be in Iraq than immediately before the surge. But why not mention that 84 percent of the 38,000 troops in the surge are home or are in the process of coming home?

The media seems to have been covering for Biden for some time. While news stories still talk about Dan Quayle’s spelling mistake 18 years later, there has been almost no news coverage of Biden’s numerous wacky statements. What if Quayle had said something similar to Biden’s recent statement that, "When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, 'Look, here's what happened.'" A neat trick given that Herbert Hoover was president in 1929 and television was not yet invented.

It might not fit the simple template for a 36-year veteran of the Senate to not understand what vice presidents do (after all, eight vice presidents have served with him), but Biden knew less about this than the political outsider, Sarah Palin. Given that they are running to be vice president, why didn’t that story dominate the news coverage after the debate?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,433314,00.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 02:15:59 PM »
"Mark my words... t will not be six months before the world tests Barack Obama like they did John Kennedy. The world is looking... we're gonna have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy.  I can give you at least four or five scenarios from where it might originate [Biden then mentioned the Middle East and Russia as possibilities.]  And he's gonna need help...we're gonna need you to use your influence, your influence within the community, to stand with him. Because it's not gonna be apparent initially, it's not gonna be apparent that we're right." - Joe Biden

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 02:20:21 PM »
Biden should probably have avoided this topic but Repugs such as Lieberman have said basically the same thing. 

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 02:23:31 PM »
Here is one from yesterdays New York Post- Written by Kirsten Powers--> theres a shitload of Gaffes here

Barack Obama's choice of Joe Biden as his running mate prompted a small wave of warnings about Biden's propensity for gaffes. But no one imagined even in a worse-case scenario such a spectacular bomb as telling donors Sunday to "gird your loins" because a young president Obama will be tested by an international crisis just like young President John Kennedy was.

Scary? You betcha! But somehow, not front-page news.

Again the media showed their incredible bias by giving scattered coverage of Biden's statements.

There were a few exceptions. On MSNBC's "Morning Joe," co-host Mika Brzezinski flipped incredulously through the papers, expressing shock at the lack of coverage of Biden's remarks. Guest Dan Rather admitted that if Palin had said it, the media would be going nuts.

So what gives?

The stock answer is: "It's just Biden being Biden." We all know how smart he is about foreign policy, so it's not the same as when Sarah Palin says something that seems off.

Yet, when Biden asserted incorrectly in the vice-presidential debate that the United States "drove Hezbollah out of Lebanon," nobody in the US media shrieked. (It was, however, covered with derision in the Middle East.) Or when he confused his history by claiming FDR calmed the nation during the Depression by going on TV, the press didn't take it as evidence that he's clueless.

And Biden is the foreign-policy gravitas on the Democratic ticket, so his comments are actually even more disconcerting.

The outakes of his Sunday remarks don't begin to capture the magnitude of what he said. After warning the crowd that there would be some sort of international incident - Biden could think of four or five scenarios - he told the donors: "We're gonna need you to use your influence, your influence within the community, to stand with him. Because it's not gonna be apparent initially, it's not gonna be apparent that we're right."

What does that mean? Obama's election would provoke an international incident because of his inexperience and even Obama's biggest supporters won't be reassured by his response?

Then there were Biden's predictions on the economy: "I promise you, you all are gonna be sitting here a year from now going, 'Oh my God, why are they there in the polls? . . . Why is this thing so tough? . . . I'm asking you now, be prepared to stick with us. Remember the faith you had at this point, because you're going to have to reinforce us.

"There are gonna be a lot of you who want to go, 'Whoa, wait a minute, yo, whoa, whoa, I don't know about that decision.' "

Biden is teling us that, at a time when Americans need to feel confidence in their government, they will be going "Oh my God." Not a great message.

Needless to say, if Sarah Palin said this about a McCain administration, the media world would be exploding.

Whether you believe Biden is exaggerating, as he is known to do, or is providing real insight, the double standard in the media does even more damage to their lagging brand.

Part of the problem is their "Obama love," but we're also seeing the media elite's belief - prejudice - that anyone with an R behind their name is dumb. So, if they say something dumb, they must be dumb. A Democrat, like Biden, can make wildly inaccurate or outrageous comments and they are ignored because the TV and press insiders feel they "know who he really is."

On the stump recently, Sen. Biden declared he had "three words" for what the nation needs: "J-O-B-S."

Lucky for him, his name isn't Dan Quayle, or that would have followed him for the rest of his career.

arce377

• Getbig IV
  • ARCE DO SAN MARTIALARTS SCHOOL
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 04:59:01 PM »
"MARK MY WORDS. It will NOT be six months, before the World tests Barack Obama, like they did John Kennedy," Biden said in Seattle. "The World is looking. Watch, we're gonna' have an International Crisis, a GENERATED CRISIS, to test the mettle of this guy."

^

THIS MEANS CAUSED ON PURPOSE.
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO

arce377

• Getbig IV
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO

arce377

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 05:03:06 PM »
V: Good evening, London. Allow me first to apologize for this interruption. I do, like many of you, appreciate the comforts of every day routine- the security of the familiar, the tranquility of repetition. I enjoy them as much as any bloke. But in the spirit of commemoration, thereby those important events of the past usually associated with someone's death or the end of some awful bloody struggle, a celebration of a nice holiday, I thought we could mark this November the 05th, a day that is sadly no longer remembered, by taking some time out of our daily lives to sit down and have a little chat. There are of course those who do not want us to speak. I suspect even now, orders are being shouted into telephones, and men with guns will soon be on their way. Why? Because while the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. Last night I sought to end that silence.

Last night I destroyed the Old Bailey, to remind this country of what it has forgotten. More than four hundred years ago a great citizen wished to embed the fifth of November forever in our memory. His hope was to remind the world that fairness, justice, and freedom are more than words, they are perspectives. So if you've seen nothing, if the crimes of this government remain unknown to you then I would suggest you allow the fifth of November to pass unmarked. But if you see what I see, if you feel as I feel, and if you would seek as I seek, then I ask you to stand beside me one year from tonight, outside the gates of Parliament, and together we shall give them a fifth of November that shall never, ever, be forgot.
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 05:07:11 PM »
the guy has forgotten more than palin could ever comprehend
DAWG

arce377

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 05:15:16 PM »

Finch: I wanna' ask a question, Dominic. I DON'T care if you answer m,e or NOT.
I just wanna' say this ALOUD... The question I want to ask, is about
St. Mary's, and Three Waters. The question, that's kept me up for the
last 24 hours, the question I have to ask, is: What if the Worst,
the Most Horrifying, Biological Attack, in this Country's History,
was NOT the work of Religious Extremists?

Dominic: Well, I DON'T understand. We KNOW it was.
They were Caught. They Confessed.

Finch: And they were Executed. I know.
And MAYBE, that's really what happened. But
I see this chain of events, these Coincidences,
and I HAVE to ask: What if that ISN'T what happened?
What IF some one ELSE unleashed that Virus? What
if some one ELSE KILLED ALL those people?
Would you REALLY wanna know WHO it was?

Dominic: Sure.

Finch: Even if it was some one working for THIS Government?
That's my question. If OUR OWN Government was responsible, for
the DEATHS of almost one hundred thousand people... would you REALLY wanna' know??
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 05:19:39 PM »
So what the Democrats are going to stage their own 9/11? Something involving Pakistan I suppose. A dirty nuke maybe?  :o

arce377

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 05:24:54 PM »

I was Taught And Ordered, in the USA USMC, To ALWAYS Sacrifice the LIVES of a FEW,
FOR the LIVES of MANY...ALWAYS. THIS WAS THE ONLY WAY. ALWAYS.

I am NOT sure I believe in this ANY more. IF the USA caused 09/11...Then I SURELY DO NOT.
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 08:42:18 AM »
the guy has forgotten more than palin could ever comprehend

True.

I was amused at Obama's press conference when he said "Joe is prone to rhetorical flourishes".

His polite way of calling him a gaffe machine.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
Obama Campaign Cuts Off Interviews With Florida TV Station
Biden gets asked tough questions by Orlando reporter

FOXNews.com

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Barack Obama's campaign killed all interviews with a Florida TV station after Sen. Joe Biden, the Democratic vice presidential nominee, faced tough and critical questions from a reporter at the Orlando station, the Orlando Sentinel reported .

During a satellite video Thursday, WFTV's Barbara West quoted Karl Marx and asked Biden how Obama's comment to "Joe the Plumber," about spreading the wealth wasn't being Marxist.

"Are you joking?," Biden asked.

West replied, "No."

Click here to watch the interview.

Later in the interview West questioned Biden about his comments that if Obama wins the election next month, he would be tested early on as president and wanted to know if Biden was implying America was no longer the world's leading power.

"I don't know who's writing your questions," Biden asked her.

The Obama camp then killed a WFTV interview with Biden's wife Jill, according to an Orlando Sentinel blog.

"This cancellation is non-negotiable, and further opportunities for your station to interview with this campaign are unlikely, at best for the duration of the remaining days until the election," wrote Laura K. McGinnis, Central Florida communications director for the Obama campaign, according to the Sentinel.

Click here to read more on this story from the Orlando Sentinel.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/25/obama-campaign-cuts-interviews-florida-tv-station/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 06:06:34 PM »
I suspect I'll be updating this thread often.   :)

Biden apologizes to Roberts for oath of office joke
Posted: 06:16 PM ET

(CNN) — An aide to Vice President Joe Biden tells CNN he called Chief Justice John Roberts last week to apologize for a light-hearted remark he made over the flubbed Inauguration Day oath of office.

"My memory is not as good as Justice Roberts, Chief Justice Roberts," Biden said last Wednesday, as he asked for a copy of the oath he was using to swear in senior members of the White House staff.

Several staffers reacted to the comment with groans and laughter, though President Obama, standing next to Biden, did not crack a smile.

An aide to the vice president said Tuesday the two men spoke privately after that comment. “They spoke and had a good conversation,” said the aide, who declined to give further details.

Roberts' mistake came about half way through the 35-word oath, when, reciting from memory, he said the word 'faithfully,' out of order. The flub confused Obama who ultimately repeated the mistake.

Meanwhile, Biden has been selected to handle the administration’s first foreign trip. The White House said Tuesday the vice president will travel to Germany next week with retired Gen. James Jones, Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs.

Biden will represent the United States at the Wehrkunde, the annual security policy conference held in Munich.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/01/27/biden-apologizes-to-roberts-for-oath-of-office-joke/#more-37553

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 06:19:03 PM »
lol light hearted did you see bidens face when he made the comment...LOL

Iono i think barry will keep biden under raps as much as possible right now its impossible to keep him out of the spot light but as they settle in i think he will be rarely seen other then the scheduled outings.

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 03:45:55 AM »
lol light hearted did you see bidens face when he made the comment...LOL

Iono i think barry will keep biden under raps as much as possible right now its impossible to keep him out of the spot light but as they settle in i think he will be rarely seen other then the scheduled outings.

The question is- did you see Obama's face when Bided said that??

The words 'pissed-off' doesn't even come close.  I'll actually give Barry credit for that.  Everyone else in the room kinda chuckled but Barry could have shot fire through his nose. 

I'll bet he give ole Joe a timeout after that.

W

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 04:02:20 AM »
The question is- did you see Obama's face when Bided said that??

The words 'pissed-off' doesn't even come close.  I'll actually give Barry credit for that.  Everyone else in the room kinda chuckled but Barry could have shot fire through his nose. 

I'll bet he give ole Joe a timeout after that.

oh yeah... he was beyond pissed... You know obama melted on him the minute they got offstage.  Biden is an immature man.  He's very experienced and intelligent... he just goofs off too much.  You gotta be a little pretentious to be a solid leader/spokesman, a bit of a politically correct phony.  biden's just too damn honest.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 04:42:11 AM »
I got a smile out of this thread.  Not from Biden, but from the desperation of the right wing losers trying to find something to complain about.

After Bush, no one can complain about gaffes.  But yet.... here they all are.  Gnashing their teeth and wringing their hands.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 10:46:45 AM »
Biden Fumbles Clinton Oath
Vice President Biden learned on Monday how hard it can be to deliver an oath of office, when he slipped during the mock swearing-in of Secretary of State Clinton.

FOXNews.com

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Mockery of and apologies to the Supreme Court chief justice aside, Vice President Biden on Monday learned how difficult it is to deliver an oath of office.

The vice president fumbled his words while swearing in Hillary Clinton as secretary of state in a  mock ceremony held at Foggy Bottom.

After smoothly saying and having Clinton repeat that she does "solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic," Biden, who was using a note card, faltered.

"... that I will bear -- excuse me ... that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same ..."

He then continued without incident after a hearty laugh from the audience.

The laughter may have been an acknowledgement of the irony following Biden's recent joke at the expense of Chief Justice John Roberts, who slipped when he was administering the oath to President Obama.

Roberts came back and repeated the oath in a private ceremony the following day after Biden, who was holding a swearing-in ceremony for senior staff, joked about Roberts' mistake.

Biden reportedly later called Roberts to apologize. The vice president had another chance to get it right on Tuesday when he swore in Eric Holder to be attorney general.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/02/03/biden-fumbles-clinton-oath/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 02:13:44 PM »
V.P. Biden an embarrassment for prez?

From CNN’s Jack Cafferty:

“Barack Obama throws Joe Biden under the bus” is how one British newspaper describes the president’s little dig at his number two during last night’s press conference.

President Obama was asked about the Veep’s recent remark that even if the White House did everything right in combating the economic downturn, there’s a “30% chance we’re going to get it wrong.” The president grinned a little, saying he didn’t remember “exactly what Joe was referring to.” Smooth as ever, Mr. Obama went on to say that he wouldn’t assign a numerical value to all this. But given the magnitude of the problems we’re facing, no one single thing they do will solve all the problems.

But let’s get back to the vice president. During the campaign, folks were always wondering what would pop out of Biden’s mouth next. Biden has said “I never make any big, big gaffes”, but many would beg to differ.

Perhaps the biggest headache came in late October when his running mate suggested that Mr. Obama would be tested by an international crisis within his first six months in office, something the McCain camp seized on immediately.

And, it didn’t end on the campaign trail. During their first full day in office, Biden joked at a press conference about how his memory wasn’t “as good” as Chief Justice John Roberts’, who stumbled over the president’s oath of office. The president wasn’t laughing, and Biden later apologized to Roberts.

Here’s my question to you: Is Vice President Joe Biden becoming an embarrassment for President Obama?

http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2009/02/10/vp-biden-an-embarrassment-for-prez/

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 02:26:35 PM »
This will turn outy to be a very long thread......but Cheney sucked right?
L