Author Topic: Decline press- most underrated exercise  (Read 40544 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Re: Decline press- most underrated exercise
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2010, 09:11:27 AM »
Rated accurately, cuz it sucks. Leg presses and upright rows, too. Suck.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2010, 09:15:49 AM »
I didn't know a part of getbig existed anymore where people were helpful and polite!   ;D

My chest and ribcage is shaped a lot like tbombz I think.  I remember a picture he posted a while back.
i have a high, short chest. genetically its my weakest muscle, while my shoulders are just about my strongest. ive always had a hell of a time getting a good contraction throughout my pecs.,  and never been able to build up my pecs very much.

the decline effectively allows me to use my pecs without the shoulders coming into play (except a tiny bit of course), and this has been huge for me

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2010, 09:39:01 AM »

the decline effectively allows me to use my pecs without the shoulders coming into play (except a tiny bit of course), and this has been huge for me

I understand you liking it because of this aspect alone.  People also like it because it has a low ROM and they can feel stronger.

But, I've always thought someone's chest will grow in the manner in which it was genetically designed to do so, for the most part.

In other words, I've seen people claim certain exercises target the inner chest.  So, in theory, if these were the only exercise done, they'd have all inner chest and nothing else?  Doesn't make sense to me.  I feel the same way about the decline.
Y

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2010, 02:05:11 PM »
i have always liked the decline press......and it is good to hear Dorian mention that he used the exercise as his main mass builder for chest.......pretty good endorsement for the decline by a 6 time Olympia winner!

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2010, 05:29:31 PM »
The decline also gives you a great deal of leverage. That feeling alone could give you an extry kick in the ass to work harder.  I don't like seeing folks use too steep of a decline w/o a spotter.

Whole lotta blood rushing to the head-- and then on top of that, some folks like to hold their breath while they press the weight up.

I'm sure the decline has its place in everyday lifting regimens... just not in mine. Each to his own.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2010, 04:56:42 AM »
Whole lotta blood rushing to the head-- and then on top of that, some folks like to hold their breath while they press the weight up.

That’s one of the primary reasons I dislike the movement.

Gironda Dips - or as close as I can get to them with parallel handles - work best for me (JPM offered me some excellent tips about 2 years ago).
Scott once claimed that he doesn’t use them often so as to preserve their effectiveness, but I use them more often than not and always feel them the next day - usually, several.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2010, 12:00:25 PM »
I'm actually weaker on declines for some reason. Granted i dont do them that often.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2010, 01:12:01 PM »
I'm actually weaker on declines for some reason. Granted i dont do them that often.

Weaker on declines than flat benching? That is strange fo sho!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2010, 01:51:23 PM »

Weaker on declines than flat benching? That is strange fo sho!
The only reason i have is the decline bench at my gym is way to steep and i just grab the bar and lift it so i wont pass out, while with flat bench i adjust my grip 2-3 times before lifting the bar.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2010, 03:50:32 PM »

Holy SH*T!!!
Where've you been?
 :)

BodyMachine

• Getbig III
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2010, 06:09:48 PM »

(JPM offered me some excellent tips about 2 years ago).

Please share said tips

Montague

• Getbig V

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2010, 08:11:12 PM »

That’s one of the primary reasons I dislike the movement.

Gironda Dips - or as close as I can get to them with parallel handles - work best for me (JPM offered me some excellent tips about 2 years ago).
Scott once claimed that he doesn’t use them often so as to preserve their effectiveness, but I use them more often than not and always feel them the next day - usually, several.

tried these today on a dip machine im not sure if I could do these free weight form wise, I didnt really feel it in the chest during the exercise but afterwards i felt it in my inner chest...

Like jpm said im one of those many whos outer pecs grow easier than the inner, ive got slabs of meat on the outer portion but the inner not so much so hopefully this will add to it

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2010, 08:39:44 PM »
I suspect a machine would hamper the ability to employ the necessary form for this exercise‘s effectiveness.

Try them without.
You may surprise yourself.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2010, 09:13:31 PM »
I suspect a machine would hamper the ability to employ the necessary form for this exercise‘s effectiveness.

Try them without.
You may surprise yourself.

whats proper form?

I actually was kinda suprised with the weight I was able to use I figured I would have to lighten up the weight quite a bit but this was on a machine and I normally do regular dips.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2010, 04:34:13 AM »
Concave arch the entire length of your body from head to toe.
Feet should be positioned about in line with your face.
Toes plantar-flexed.
Head is tilted down with the chin tucked.

Hand & elbow position is critical.
I try to envision pushing my elbows forward of my body during the movement to keep them flared out properly.
The hands are positioned on the end of the dipping handles such that the butts contact (near) the middle of your palm.
The knuckles of both hands should face towards a point in front of your body's midline.

If I can find Larry Scott’s article, I’ll post it here for you guys.

And I hope that JPM doesn’t mind me sharing this - I couldn’t find it in my pm’s so I’m presuming he posted it on the public forum during one of our discussions:
Some guys will use potholders or sponges (like those used to wash a car) to place on the dipping bars so that the hands have something to “dig” into.
It helps with comfort & balance.

JPM also recommended the grip I now use.
Remember, this movement was originally performed on v-shaped bars.
The adapted grip I initially tried - even with wraps - left my wrists sore for days afterwards.

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2010, 05:19:44 AM »
I don't like doing them, although the amount of weight I can handle is nice for the ego.  I just don't like my body tilted down with blood rushing into my head while handling a heavy weight, plus I feel like my neck is too exposed should there be some sort of accident.  Like Tbombz, pecs are my weakest bodypart, but shoulders are about my best.  I've brought my chest up a lot recently though, primarily through dumbells and cable exercises.  I cheat on a flat barbel bench press anyways by arching my back and utilizing my lower pec region and exploding up just short of locking out my elbows.  The only barbel exercise for chest I take seriously is inclines, and thats only when I mix it up from dumbbells once in a while.

Just do weighted dips. It's safer(imo) and you can tilt your body forward to hit the chest and tris in a differing ways.  Just my .02.

theworm

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2010, 12:21:08 PM »
tell you what makes my overall pecs sore as hell is DECLINE FLIES!

do that for a few weeks and it helps a lot in overall chest development.  stretch really far down and contract the hell out of them at the top.
you are gay.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2010, 04:37:36 PM »
I don't like doing them, although the amount of weight I can handle is nice for the ego.  I just don't like my body tilted down with blood rushing into my head while handling a heavy weight, plus I feel like my neck is too exposed should there be some sort of accident.  Like Tbombz, pecs are my weakest bodypart, but shoulders are about my best.  I've brought my chest up a lot recently though, primarily through dumbells and cable exercises.  I cheat on a flat barbel bench press anyways by arching my back and utilizing my lower pec region and exploding up just short of locking out my elbows.  The only barbel exercise for chest I take seriously is inclines, and thats only when I mix it up from dumbbells once in a while.

Just do weighted dips. It's safer(imo) and you can tilt your body forward to hit the chest and tris in a differing ways.  Just my .02.
I personally know two people that have torn their pecs doing dips.........safer? I don't think so, AXA.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2010, 09:11:15 PM »
i think one major point here that nobody seems to be retaining is that the purpouse of the pectoralis is to pull the arm down and across the body. the decline makes you move your arms down and across your body. flat bench is not down and across, but just across. the farther away from decline one moves, the closer to incline, the less pec involvement and the more shoulder.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2010, 11:59:41 PM »
i think one major point here that nobody seems to be retaining is that the purpouse of the pectoralis is to pull the arm down and across the body. the decline makes you move your arms down and across your body. flat bench is not down and across, but just across. the farther away from decline one moves, the closer to incline, the less pec involvement and the more shoulder.

"Nobody?"

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2010, 01:46:41 AM »
ive been confused by your posts in this thread dyslexic. can tell if your being sarcastic in your comments or not.

theworm

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2010, 05:52:55 AM »

agree.   thats why the decline fly with moderate heavy weight is soo good.  brings the arm down and across the body.  do 3 sets with around 60-70 pound DBs and the next day your ENTIRE chest will be sore as hell.  especially the hard to hit inner pecs.
you are gay.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2010, 09:34:18 AM »
ill see if i can try those out today worm. my gym only has one decline bench and it is hooked up to the bench supports so flys cant be done on it, so the only way ill be able to do it is if i take some dumbells over to the sit-up bench that adjusts to a big decline. im on crutches so unless theres somebody to help me get the bells over i might not do em.

theworm

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2010, 03:50:39 PM »
yeah. its very hard to get them in place.

i use the black rubber ones for this, so i can throw them down when done.

to get started i usually have them on the floor, laying on their side, so they are standing straight up, then i lay back, and grab each with one hand to get them in position.  little scary the first few times, but once you get used to it, it gets pretty easy.
you are gay.