Author Topic: Loving the old school - 'Hardcore bodybuilding' book  (Read 3252 times)

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Loving the old school - 'Hardcore bodybuilding' book
« on: April 04, 2006, 02:49:09 AM »
Hey guys, i found book called 'Hardcore bodybuilding' in the house the other day. Had forgotten about it. written by bob kennedy. Love that book, lots of old pics and v informative. Man how cum guys in the past got big physiques, but still physiques that seem managable. The recurring theme in alot of their training was the full body 3 times a week split.
It seemed to be a very effective way for alot of thoughs guys to train.
I just wandered what they did in their workouts (its al interesting). And why more people dont do it more now a days??!!

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

Rome

• Getbig IV
  • Pics or GTFO!
Re: Loving the old school
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 03:52:40 AM »
Most of us can't imagine training ONLY 3 times a week. I don't workout because I have to, I do it because I love it. Limiting something that makes you feel good to 3 X a week doesn't make much sense. With the improvement in equipment, exercise knowledge, supplements(legal and otherwise), recovering from a 5 day workout schedule is not as much of a problem as it might have been 30 or 40 years ago. The leap in size and muscularity of serious lifters that don't juice is proof of this.

sculpture

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 05:49:46 AM »
thats odd. i train only 3 times a week and gain fine. 5 times would be too much.

anvil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 12:01:41 PM »
whoa, i used to have that book!  isn't that the one with Platz on the cover? 

Fun days...

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 03:09:11 PM »
I think he's talking about a 3-day split, total 6 days a week in the gym.

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 08:54:21 AM »
Most of us can't imagine training ONLY 3 times a week. I don't workout because I have to, I do it because I love it. Limiting something that makes you feel good to 3 X a week doesn't make much sense. With the improvement in equipment, exercise knowledge, supplements(legal and otherwise), recovering from a 5 day workout schedule is not as much of a problem as it might have been 30 or 40 years ago. The leap in size and muscularity of serious lifters that don't juice is proof of this.

Training more than 3 times a week will most likely result (when natural) in overtraining or using an overly complex split. 2-3 times of balls-to-the-wall training (oooh, sounds oldschool hehe) is more then enough.
Rome try some other sporting activities besides working out, that way you can get that excercise-high without overtraining.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 06:31:15 AM »
yeh its the book with platz on the cover. Has some great pics inside aswell.total old school book and a great read.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah