Author Topic: Worlds Strongest Man - 2021  (Read 5255 times)

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
  • Creepy Joe Touches Kids
Re: Worlds Strongest Man - 2021
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2021, 02:40:33 AM »
Oberst always talks the talk but never steps up. To his credit he did previously hold the US log record, but he hasn't been relevant or healthy for a good few years now.

Disappointed to see Richardson and Hollands withdraw. Looks like Hollands is retiring on the back of it, Richardson I think was a bicep tear.

Yup, he held it, but a much smaller Kearney took it from him a few years ago, and Obie has done not much of anything since. (Except flap his gums).
He seems lazy. Might get tiring lugging around that huge head of his.  :P

Bummer for Terry to go out this way. But he can focus on the business he has started. No money in Strongman anyways, especially for "middle of the pack"ers.

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2021, 01:06:58 PM »
So far:

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2021, 05:17:41 PM »
WSM is basically (mainly) a TV show, they can invite who they want it seems.
I guess he did well on the loading race thing, but yes, he's never one to be in the finals, never does qualifiers, etc.
(His TV show popularity on that thing he did w/ Shaw/Hall may have something to do w/ it).

Caron and Maxime looking good so far...

Ah...I remember that TV show - not the show itself, but portions of it which were uploaded to YouTube.  For The History Channel, I think.  I seem to recall Oberst being the only one who was able to carry a hugely heavy, awkwardly shaped canon which was allegedly carried by some 18th century military commander or something like that.

That Ironage lift claim was probably bullshit.  It's like the claim of French Canadian Louis Cyr allegedly lifting a rock overhead that weighed 587-lb or something like that.  It was probably just shaped in such a way that made it easy to stand up with it, and from there, he just leaned back and shifted it up inch by inch until the top of it was probably just over his shoulders or head, which then went down in historical lore as an "overhead lift".

Ben Weider [who was Jewish, but from Montreal, Quebec] cited that lift as evidence that Louis Cyr was the strongest person of all time.

Louis' physical dimensions are reported differently depending on where you read them, but if he was 5'10" and 280-lb, competing as a circus strongman in or around the 1890s, I have no doubt he could have been one of the strongest of his era, but I am skeptical of some of his lifts.  If he did lift a 273-lb [+ 3/4] dumbbell overhead before prior to 1900...then he was WAY ahead of his time.

But who knows how much of that is bollocks.

I guess if WSM needs to invite strongmen who are more well-known with the public to compete, then so be it.  It is a business after all.

As for Jean-Francois Caron - he has very long arms, and as expected, his deadlift is amazing because of that [and obviously his work ethic - with a deadlift over of over 1000-lb].  But I never expected him to win his class in the overhead press, and not only that - he got #7 out of 25 guys in the overhead medley event.  :o

Good for JF!  Nice to see him doing well.  Looks like my pal Maxime is killing it too.  Big, big fellar.  Extremely strong.  This kid was literally deadlifting and squatting 700-lb, and bench pressing somewhere close to 450-lb at age TWENTY.  :o

He has improved since then, but the gains come slower as the lifts get heavier.  One thing that I'm very happy about with Maxime is the fact that he has now brought his deadlift up enough where he can get at least one rep on the deadlift event, and get some points on it, rather than getting zero on it in the big shows, which would always cost him in the final placings.

One thing I love about strongman contests is when I get one rep, but it gets me points on a lift, and makes me feel like I'm at that level of competition, even if I come in last place.  ;D  I mean, even getting one rep on each event is evidence you are at that level...right?

That's why I was looking forward to the intermedia contest Motors & Muscles, that was cancelled in 2020.  And I see no plans for it anywhere for this summer.  Here were the events [which will hopefully be the events whenever they do this contest next...hopefully no later than next summer, in 2022]:

- Farmer's Walk: 275-lb per hand for 80-ft.
- Atlas Stone: 325-lb stone over 40" bar.
- Circus Dumbbell: 135-lb dumbbell for max reps in 60 seconds.
- Tire Flip: 950-lb tire for max flips in 60 seconds.
- Trap Bar Deadlift: 675-lb for max reps in 60 seconds.

^ Literally four events at my one rep max.  ;D  MAYBE two reps, if my training is completely on point + the Farmer's Walk, where I should hopefully be able to make 25-40 feet.  :)

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2021, 02:04:46 AM »
Results and Finals lineup:

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2021, 02:15:47 AM »
Matt,

I hope you return to form in your lifting after the fake COVE hit us hard.
Youre extremely strong, I would say "for your size", but you are strong 'Period'.
Good luck with it, lets hope gym and stuff stays open. If they close, you should setup an area at home with some Strongman stuff.
Stones, Yoke, Farmers, etc.

The stuff is becoming available again at most places, if I were you and had your time and money, I would start ordering and planning now.
Libturd CA will probably shut down again. (If someone sneezes).

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2021, 02:18:14 AM »
Full list of finalists after the 3rd day.

https://barbend.com/2021-worlds-strongest-man-results/

Brian Shaw — USA
Trey Mitchell — USA
JF Caron — Canada
Konstantine Janashia — Georgia
Bobby Thompson — USA
Maxime Boudreault — Canada
Tom Stoltman — United Kingdom
Eythor Ingolfsson Melsted — Iceland
Adam Bishop — United Kingdom
Luke Stoltman — United Kingdom

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2021, 02:23:08 AM »
Full list of finalists after the 3rd day.

https://barbend.com/2021-worlds-strongest-man-results/

Brian Shaw — USA
Trey Mitchell — USA
JF Caron — Canada
Konstantine Janashia — Georgia
Bobby Thompson — USA
Maxime Boudreault — Canada
Tom Stoltman — United Kingdom
Eythor Ingolfsson Melsted — Iceland
Adam Bishop — United Kingdom
Luke Stoltman — United Kingdom

Any podium predictions Dreadlifter?

Shaw, JF and Tom maybe??  Hard to tell with these things.
I really thought Novikov would podium after winning last years, but not to be seen.

anvil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2021, 07:09:37 AM »
With both the deadlift and overhead log for max in the finals, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Bobby Thompson finish higher than most anyone expected.

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2021, 07:32:13 AM »
With both the deadlift and overhead log for max in the finals, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Bobby Thompson finish higher than most anyone expected.
He's really come on bigtime in the last couple of years. Just got the American Log record a couple weeks back.

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2021, 08:02:53 AM »
Any podium predictions Dreadlifter?

Shaw, JF and Tom maybe??  Hard to tell with these things.
I really thought Novikov would podium after winning last years, but not to be seen.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the top 3, ideally Tom 1st, JF 2nd, Shaw 3rd. I think Shaw might narrowly miss out on the podium though, if things go well for Janashia he might grab a podium place.

I'm surprised Novikov didn't make it into the final 10, but I feel that last year (like Licis the year before) that things just fell perfectly for him to grab the title. Never saw him becoming a dominant force, same for Licis.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2021, 08:07:53 AM »
He's really come on bigtime in the last couple of years. Just got the American Log record a couple weeks back.

Ummmm...That just "reads" really, really, weird.  LOL!

DanM

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2021, 10:27:39 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me if that was the top 3, ideally Tom 1st, JF 2nd, Shaw 3rd. I think Shaw might narrowly miss out on the podium though, if things go well for Janashia he might grab a podium place.

I'm surprised Novikov didn't make it into the final 10, but I feel that last year (like Licis the year before) that things just fell perfectly for him to grab the title. Never saw him becoming a dominant force, same for Licis.

Novikov is a beast and just got unlucky this year, being in a super tight heat with some whacky events. Like who had the bright idea to have a front hold be the last and deciding event.

I imagine he will come back and dominate

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2021, 01:34:17 PM »
Novikov is a beast and just got unlucky this year, being in a super tight heat with some whacky events. Like who had the bright idea to have a front hold be the last and deciding event.

I imagine he will come back and dominate

I think for the next five years or so we might see Tom Stoltman and Novikov as the ones everybody's chasing. Maybe Licis to if he recovers well and focuses on his training.

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2021, 02:16:22 PM »
Really?  On what basis do they allow him to compete?  I don't recall him ever making the podium before.  Is he there to represent he USA, or...I don't know how special invites work in strongman [that's the first I heard of them].  I remember that Greg Kovacs got invited to compete at the 1996 Mr. Olympia contest on the basis of how he looked at the CBBF Nationals in Canada that same year, and I recall Gunter Schlierkamp getting special invites to the Mr. Olympia as well [in 1998, I think, and perhaps others].  But I didn't know they do that in strongman too.  I don't get how the politics work there.

I have found strongman to be corrupt sometimes [like Mariusz Pudzianowski winning, because Met-RX was the sponsor and picked events suitable for him - as well as Eddie Hall's 2017 win, which had events favourable for him, probably to allow him to win one, and then move on, giving room for the other guys to win, and preventing further strain on Eddie's body from competing at that level].
Eddie Hall legitimately deserved the 2017 win. He deadlifted the most. Squated more reps. Shoulder pressed more. They even had the stones event which suits taller competitors like Hafthor and Brian Shaw.

The whole controversy with Thor is BS. Thor was a sore loser. They told him not to hitch the weight up. He did and they reduced his reps. Eddie stopped after beating Thor's number because that was what was required. But it was clear that he had more reps left in him if he needed it and he looked stronger and faster in the shoulder press compared to Thor. Eddie won WSM 2017 fair and square.

I really think Thor should have been a better sport. Only fan boys and yes men will tell him he deserved to win WSM 2017. Eddie was literally stronger than him that year.

I like them both but I hope Eddie wins the fight just to settle the issue about WSM 2017 once and for all.

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2021, 04:04:12 PM »
Looks like Tom Stoltman has this in the bag! Brian Shaw or even Tom's brother Luke might get second. I don't see them catching Tom.

https://barbend.com/

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2021, 04:08:04 PM »
JF get injured ???
Would love to see Shaw win.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2021, 04:10:30 PM »
Well, we know Tom will smoke everyone on Stones. Shaw is good w/ DL and Keg toss, but I guess we'll see how Tom does in those other lifts.

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2021, 02:21:55 AM »
Shaw took the 'Keg Toss' as expected (he's quite the tosser) I think he may take the DL as well.

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2021, 04:52:15 AM »
Going to be an interesting second day. Failing any major hiccup, it should be Tom's title. Most intrigued by how Luke Stoltman does on the log vs Janashia and Boudrault. Deadlift for reps rather than max deadlift should work in Shaw's favour.

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2021, 05:52:36 AM »
Going to be an interesting second day. Failing any major hiccup, it should be Tom's title. Most intrigued by how Luke Stoltman does on the log vs Janashia and Boudrault. Deadlift for reps rather than max deadlift should work in Shaw's favour.

Thompson "should" do well in Log as well.
Fun day for Strength fans.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2021, 05:55:45 AM »

He's come on to you bigtime in the last years?

Did you get his American Log?

So are they agree to be more gheee3333yyy
Q

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2021, 06:03:13 AM »
He's come on to you bigtime in the last years?

Did you get his American Log?

So are they agree to be more gheee3333yyy

Looks like Kwon's account was hacked.  :)

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2021, 04:05:31 PM »
Tom Stoltman is world's strongest man 2021 :)

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2021, 04:09:00 PM »
Kids a beast (tom), glad for him. Autistic like Matt.
And Matt's buddy Maxime came in 3rd, great job Max and Tom...
Shaw still trying for that number 5 to tie with Pudz...

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2021, 04:11:58 PM »
Matt,

I hope you return to form in your lifting after the fake COVE hit us hard.
Youre extremely strong, I would say "for your size", but you are strong 'Period'.
Good luck with it, lets hope gym and stuff stays open. If they close, you should setup an area at home with some Strongman stuff.
Stones, Yoke, Farmers, etc.

The stuff is becoming available again at most places, if I were you and had your time and money, I would start ordering and planning now.
Libturd CA will probably shut down again. (If someone sneezes).

Hey - thanks, Body-Buildah!

I try to hit lifts that would be good for your average 285-lb gym rat, but are excellent for a 175-lb'er.  Like my 315x8 bench press [although my best in actual contest was 320].

If this entire COVE lockdown taught me anything, it's not to take gym access for granted - something we still don't legally have in Ontario.  ::)

If things get any worse here - or stay the same next winter - I need to get my American citizenship.  Fuck this.  The USA's constitution has been shredded in many ways, but there are more guns backing it up [although, in fairness to Canada, we have a decent amount of private guns too].

You are right though - I need to start ordering and planning now.

I think in 16 weeks, I will be ready to get back to events training after I spend that first period training bodybuilding style.  :)

I know it sounds corny, but I'd like to make Getbig proud, by hitting those above lifts in contest.  :)

I can lift a 300-lb stone over a 40" bar...it's just hard getting it over a 60" bar at my height.  ;D  But I'd love to improve that to a 325-lb stone over a 44" bar.  I'd be quite pleased with that at 175!  :)

I don't know about you, Body-Buildah - but these ridiculous COVE measures have been nothing but bad for me.  It made me realize - what good is money when I can't even go to Wal-Mart and buy socks?  We're still only open 15% here!

Hopefully things are a bit more sane in your neck of the woods!

Thank you for your friendly post. :)  I honestly cannot wait to do a local strength contest again.  I didn't realize how much they meant to me until they stopped due to COVE.