Author Topic: meet hurley, magoo's new little life partner.  (Read 7445 times)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
Re: meet hurley, magoo's new little life partner.
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 09:56:26 PM »
Hurley Magoo.........has a ring to it. ;D

i gotta admit, i kinda like that as a "full name". maybe if i ever get pissed off at him i can shout the whole thing at him like an angry mother.  ;D

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 06:05:40 AM »
LOL I love it... Hurley Dweetir Magoo.   8)

He's wonderful!   :D

:)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Re: all right, help me name this guy.
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2008, 06:24:07 AM »
LOL!

about 7 months old. his price has kept anyone from picking him up, i think. the breeders dabble in all breeds, and sell it at a "store" of kinds, but for some reason placed it in a really crumbling neighborhood. so the cheaper breeds and the occasional mutts end up selling faster, while beautiful li'l guys like him get left behind. it's a big reason i decided to go with him instead of waiting for a puppy from another breeder (aside from the fact that i just fell in love with 'im).

Sounds like puppy mill puppies?   :-\     Since you say he is AKC, you will get his papers and can trace them to see if he did come from a mill. About 99% of puppies sold in stores come from puppy mills.  The puppies look cute, but the parents usually live a life of hell, and the puppies may themselves have health problems because of poor breeding practices.  It's all for the money. Ask them where they get their puppies from.  I bet they say 'private breeders'. If they breed them themselves and have many different breeds, then they are probably a puppy mill.

If they are not puppy mill dealers then I apologize, but I would wager they are, and the cycle continues with people continuing to make it worth their while to pump out puppies (usually that will have health problems) and make the breeding animals live a life not worth living.

Please don't buy puppies from petstores!!!   Go check out the breeder and see the parents and their living conditions. 

Someone had to say.  So hate on, but it's the truth.

Again, I hope I am 100% wrong and that puppy was bred from parents who live in a home and are valued members of a family and treated well with love and affection and won't be sold at some auction when they quit being profitable, or worse.

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: all right, help me name this guy.
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2008, 08:36:43 AM »

Please don't buy puppies from petstores!!!   Go check out the breeder and see the parents and their living conditions. 

Someone had to say.  So hate on, but it's the truth.

One more thing I would like to add......

If you're spending alot of money when purchasing a dog (let's say more than $1000).....do research.

Even if the dog is going to be a "family" dog....research the Sire & Dam.

Go to    www.offa.org    & see if any history can be found.  Sure, most people will not get their dogs hips, elbows, eyes, & cardiac checked....but if you're a responsible breeder....you will.  In another words...if you're buying from a responsible breeder, their information will be there.  What you want to look for his family history.  To make a long story short, I recently discovered that our dog's great-great grandfather was maybe 'over bred'.  I wasn't happy to see he had 190 puppies registered in the OFA.  Can you imagine how many were not registered?  Basically this could lead into some health problems for the sole reason someone was trying to make money.  Our dog's father only has 3 puppies that has passed with any readings.  I know for a fact he was bred quite a lot.  Basically, what this means in a nut shell after researching it, his line has now been stretched thin.  Our dog (although looks beautiful) concerns me of some major health risks that could be acquired down the road.  This leads to heart ache & expensive medical bills.   

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2008, 08:59:18 AM »
flower, knny, you're 100% right about those concerns.

however, the first thing i did was ask about that kind of thing. i will get his registration, his papers, medical history, his pedigree, and have about two weeks to have him fully checked out after i take him home to make sure he's in good shape.

i called the breeders at home, and they said i can swing by if i want to and meet the parents as it were, so i'll do that at probably in the next month or so if i can get the time. they don't breed their bitches more than once a year, and each one only does a few litters before they get retired, so they aren't overbred.

it's a "store" yeah, but trust me it's far from, like, a pet city USA with dogs in little cages scratching at the glass. each one gets its own 5-6 foot wide open-top fencing area (with a few exceptions, usually the smaller guys). the dude who works there (a friend of the breeders) comes in at 10am, five hours before they open, so he can clean up all the areas, bathe the ones that need it, take them out, let them out for a while, etc.

i almost didn't go to these guys (go back to my other thread), but after talking to a few people who had worked with them including my cousin, i was convinced to give them a second shot. i grilled them, they grilled me (it turns out they're VERY proud of the purebred bullies), and i was impressed enough.

they aren't the only place to get a bulldog and at $2000 i'm not exactly bargain shopping. believe you me if it looked like this was a mill with those shitty surroundings i'd be taking my money elsewhere. that's far too much money to just drop down on a whim. :P

so yes, flower, the parents do live with the parents, as well as the puppies for the first 7-12 weeks of their lives. that was important to me too. but again, i won't know that for sure until i see it, so at some point i'll have to make that trip.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2008, 09:18:19 AM »
flower, knny, you're 100% right about those concerns.

however, the first thing i did was ask about that kind of thing. i will get his registration, his papers, medical history, his pedigree, and have about two weeks to have him fully checked out after i take him home to make sure he's in good shape.

i called the breeders at home, and they said i can swing by if i want to and meet the parents as it were, so i'll do that at probably in the next month or so if i can get the time. they don't breed their bitches more than once a year, and each one only does a few litters before they get retired, so they aren't overbred.

it's a "store" yeah, but trust me it's far from, like, a pet city USA with dogs in little cages scratching at the glass. each one gets its own 5-6 foot wide open-top fencing area (with a few exceptions, usually the smaller guys). the dude who works there (a friend of the breeders) comes in at 10am, five hours before they open, so he can clean up all the areas, bathe the ones that need it, take them out, let them out for a while, etc.

i almost didn't go to these guys (go back to my other thread), but after talking to a few people who had worked with them including my cousin, i was convinced to give them a second shot. i grilled them, they grilled me (it turns out they're VERY proud of the purebred bullies), and i was impressed enough.

they aren't the only place to get a bulldog and at $2000 i'm not exactly bargain shopping. believe you me if it looked like this was a mill with those shitty surroundings i'd be taking my money elsewhere. that's far too much money to just drop down on a whim. :P

so yes, flower, the parents do live with the parents, as well as the puppies for the first 7-12 weeks of their lives. that was important to me too. but again, i won't know that for sure until i see it, so at some point i'll have to make that trip.

Cool....

but do yourself a favor.  You don't need the parents AKC #....you can do a look up on www.offa.org  by just their registered names.  If it's not on OFA....then they are blindly breeding.  If they are on OFA...see how well they passes...& what their parents & other relatives came out.

Trust me....for $2000 they will be on the site.  If they are NOT...then you could be getting into headaches.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2008, 09:31:34 AM »

Cool....

but do yourself a favor.  You don't need the parents AKC #....you can do a look up on www.offa.org  by just their registered names.  If it's not on OFA....then they are blindly breeding.  If they are on OFA...see how well they passes...& what their parents & other relatives came out.

Trust me....for $2000 they will be on the site.  If they are NOT...then you could be getting into headaches.

sounds good man. soon as i get the parent names i'll check it out.

if they aren't, yes, i might be in for some issues. but then, if i'm not mistaken, somewhere around 74% of all bullies have hip dysplasia to some degree, so avoiding it in breeding is almost impossible. he seems in good shape though. :P

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2008, 10:28:47 AM »
Hey Magoo- that is good to hear what you said about speaking to the breeders.  :)

People don't buy directly from a mill - the mills sell to petstores, so people never see where they came from.  But since you talked to his breeders and they said "c'mon by" I would think they are not a puppy mill. 

I would go by when you get the chance, would be cool to see where he came from and what his parents are like. 

He's a cutie no matter where he came from, I just couldn't help putting that info out there, thanks for not being offended.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2008, 10:36:15 AM »
Hey Magoo- that is good to hear what you said about speaking to the breeders.  :)

People don't buy directly from a mill - the mills sell to petstores, so people never see where they came from.  But since you talked to his breeders and they said "c'mon by" I would think they are not a puppy mill. 

I would go by when you get the chance, would be cool to see where he came from and what his parents are like. 

He's a cutie no matter where he came from, I just couldn't help putting that info out there, thanks for not being offended.

i don't take offense because i know it means you're concerned. i was too, i was kinda sad because i liked the dogs there but i'll be damned if i'm gonna support anything like that. :P

yeah, i'd love to meet the parents. he has a sister that just showed up at the shop, apparently his dad got a hold of one of their other dams. she's about 4 months old and absolutely gorgeous. real slender and smooth as far as bullies go.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2008, 12:56:16 PM »
Hurley Magoo.........has a ring to it. ;D

Perfect name!
:

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2008, 01:52:02 PM »
by the way, for all curious, here's what i found out today: the owners have a 100 acre farm in indiana county, PA. this guy's parents live with breeders on a farm in ohio. both are more than welcoming to visitors, apparently they like seeing how their dogs are doing as they age. after the semester ends this week i'm going to swing out to one or both.

also, here's the enclosure he was in.

body88

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 06:34:50 PM »
magoo, congrats. great looking pup you got there. I would have named him Louie, but Hurley sounds damn good to!

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 07:02:10 PM »
magoo, congrats. great looking pup you got there. I would have named him Louie, but Hurley sounds damn good to!

haha, thanks man. i swear the 24th of may can't come fast enough (that's when i'm back from california and am taking him home). i'm just happy that he's taken good care of in the meanwhile, with the possible exception of not having his nails clipped often enough, but then there's only one guy taking care of all the dogs, so he does an INCREDIBLE job given how much he has to do. they're all fed and walked and cleaned, plus given enough room to run around. far better than "pet shops". :P

I got my arm rocked pretty nice by him today, because I was trying to clip his nails and he wanted to eat the clipper. one back foot hooked in pretty well. then i gave him some treats afterwards and he figured out where they were in my pockets and tried to eat my pants. when i left i left him with a big rubber bone to chew on. i wish i could just skip the california trip and take him home now. :P

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2008, 07:30:47 PM »
haha, thanks man. i swear the 24th of may can't come fast enough (that's when i'm back from california and am taking him home). i'm just happy that he's taken good care of in the meanwhile, with the possible exception of not having his nails clipped often enough, but then there's only one guy taking care of all the dogs, so he does an INCREDIBLE job given how much he has to do. they're all fed and walked and cleaned, plus given enough room to run around. far better than "pet shops". :P

I got my arm rocked pretty nice by him today, because I was trying to clip his nails and he wanted to eat the clipper. one back foot hooked in pretty well. then i gave him some treats afterwards and he figured out where they were in my pockets and tried to eat my pants. when i left i left him with a big rubber bone to chew on. i wish i could just skip the california trip and take him home now. :P
Sounds like it's going to be the longest trip of your life ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Alex23

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2008, 07:33:40 PM »
you should call him "Saliva".

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2008, 07:40:21 PM »
Sounds like it's going to be the longest trip of your life ;D

hahaha, you're telling me. the moment i sit on that plane all i'm going to want to do is get back. i don't think i'll be having any interwebs either, which is just gonna make it a hell of a lot longer. :P

alex, you got a point there. he apparently decided my hands and arms were delicious today and i had to steal a lot of wipes at their little "sanitary station" to clean off.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2008, 09:25:12 PM »
If you need any help with behavioral stuff, either post a thread or PM me if you wish.  Getting a dog that is going to be 8mo old when you get him means alot of time has passed that is considered the "prime" period of time for alot of socialization, introduction to obedience etc.  You could bring him home and he could be the sweetest dog in the history of life, but bulldogs definitely have the potential to be stubborn.  Just don't spoil him too much at first :)  Let him settle in and learn the rules and his place in the household before you start giving him cheeto's and stuff =P

Good luck.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2008, 09:34:05 PM »
yeah, that was a concern.

fortunately, he seems VERY good from what time i've had with him. he didn't fight me when i took food from him, he let me clip his nails (somewhat, aside from trying to eat the clipper), he let me clean his face wrinkles with a little aloe-type wipe, didn't get mad if i held his paws down for a good 10-15 seconds. generally VERY agreeable, aside from the standard puppy bounciness and wanting to play.

we'll see how he develops over time, but while i am ready for difficulty, i'm not anticipating too much. housetraining might take a little time, but i think i can do that.

Alex23

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2008, 10:31:48 PM »
Man I wanna dog again :(

I miss my NIkki  :'(

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2008, 10:49:52 PM »
Man I wanna dog again :(

I miss my NIkki  :'(

that looks a lot like our dog now.  Was yours a pointer mix?

Alex23

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2008, 10:52:21 PM »
that looks a lot like our dog now.  Was yours a pointer mix?

I'm not sure. She was half lab for sure and did look like a pointer as a puppy.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2008, 11:46:49 PM »
I'm not sure. She was half lab for sure and did look like a pointer as a puppy.

Yeah that's the same with ours.  The pound we got her from said lab/boxer mix, but temperament and personality wise, she's a lab-pointer from what I can tell.  Very sweet, submissive dog.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2008, 06:38:48 AM »
, he let me clip his nails (somewhat, aside from trying to eat the clipper), he let me clean his face wrinkles with a little aloe-type wipe,

haha!  Magoo will be a good daddy to Hurley ;D

I have to tell you though, the more pictures I see of him the more I think "Bunny" is a good name :)
R

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2008, 07:24:25 AM »
haha!  Magoo will be a good daddy to Hurley ;D

i'm gonna be doing my best! ;D

I have to tell you though, the more pictures I see of him the more I think "Bunny" is a good name :)

well c'mon, i had to keep him with at least a LITTLE self esteem!