Author Topic: California law to ban/exterminate Pit Bulls  (Read 63615 times)

body88

Re: California law to ban/exterminate Pit Bulls
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2006, 08:00:11 AM »
I am not delusional like some pit lovers. Some pit lover think the breed can do not wrong and are perfect. No dog breed is perfect. There will always be owners who have no idea how to own and train animals capable of hurting people severely. There will always be freak accidents with animals. Or unfortunate situations. But the fact is pitbulls are not aggresive to humans by nature.

Pitbulls are very strong. They will never give up and have a massive bite pressure. They are awesome dogs but also need to be trained and properly socialized. This goes for ANY large breed. This is especially true for dominant types like pitbulls, rottys or dobermans.

Owners should be held accountable. if some fool lets there dog off the leash and it attacks a person. Do an investigation. look at the dogs owner his envirment. Did the owner take the time to socialize the dog? Has he had all his shots? Is there evidence of fighting and or training for aggression? All things that would explain an unprovoked attack. If so they should be prosecuted. I mean prosecuted for real. Not misdemeanor or civil type shit.

You can walk into walmart and buy a shotgun. But they want to ban pits :o

body88

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2006, 08:04:28 AM »
I think they are like people,some good some bad. I have also heard horror stories about Rotweilers,but the one or two that I have known have been very gentle and "MARMADUKE" like....if that makes sense.

Malamute 8)

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2006, 08:18:10 AM »
Diesel look at this unbiased. Pitbulls are not a "viscous" breed. What is your favorite breed of dog? I bet you if you hung out with a properly socialized pitbull for a few weeks your opinions would change. They are extremley athletic playful and loyal.

My view is unbiased. The history and lineage of these dogs is a breed bred to be strong with powerful jaws to control bulls. Later on to be used in bull and bear baiting and then dog fighting

You see... there are a small minority of responsible owners like you that know how to properly keep and handle these dogs. Then there are the rest that like these dogs because of their vicious nature and spoil it for the rest of you.  

body88

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2006, 08:24:32 AM »
My view is unbiased. The history and lineage of these dogs is a breed bred to be strong with powerful jaws to control bulls. Later on to be used in bull and bear baiting and then dog fighting

You see... there are a small minority of responsible owners like you that know how to properly keep and handle these dogs. Then there are the rest that like these dogs because of their vicious nature and spoil it for the rest of you.  

I agree with you 100 percent on some of your points. But by the logic of the lawmakers trying to pass this bill. You should not be able to legally own a fast car. You should not be able to own a sport bike. You should not be able to own a drag racing car. How many times do young teens in fast cars make the mistake of driving above there ability crashing into and killing an Innocent car full off people. Same with sport bikes causing accidents. Should it be illegal to own sportbikes?The flaw in this is should you ban the activity so all suffer(even the responsible) or prosecute those who abuse the privilege more aggressively? I say option 2. If you ban pits the fools will just move on to another breed. Pitbulls where also breed to be very loyal to there master. They are not aggressive to humans by nature. I'm sorry but no ignorant law maker is going to ban a breed I love to get votes and please people whom are looking for vindication. You cannot blame an entire breed for the actions of some. And even then people are the ones to blame.If these cases went solely by unstable dogs and had nothing to do with the negligence or irresponsibility of owners there would be no statistics on pit attacks as they would be much less frequent. Kinda sounds familiar right? All Muslims are evil you know? All Jews are cheap. All Italians are scoundrels. All Greeks are gay. You get the point.

Don't get me wrong diesel I can see why you would feel the way you do. This breed has gotten such a bad rap it is hard to believe people can actually see through the bullshit at this point. I also respect the fact you may not particularly like pitbulls. But I do believe they should not be banned.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2006, 08:49:16 AM »

responsible pit owners that know how to handle these dogs???? what is that supposed to mean....pits are by nature more friendly, good natured, good temperment dogs than most other breeds.

vicious by nature???  you really need to do some research on the breed before you make comments like that...because its clear that you know nothing about them.

body88

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2006, 08:52:28 AM »
responsible pit owners that know how to handle these dogs???? what is that supposed to mean....pits are by nature more friendly, good natured, good temperament dogs than most other breeds.

vicious by nature???  you really need to do some research on the breed before you make comments like that...because its clear that you know nothing about them.

People are just uneducated that is the problem. Like you said these dogs are good natured and good tempered. People only see pits when they are in situations where there strength and tenacity gives the impression that is how they are by nature. But you must be educated on the breed before you own one. They are a littler harder to handle than say a lab.

St Bernards are far more aggresive towards humans but since they are cute and cuddly no one wants to run and ban those. They can weigh up to 200 lbs and could seriouly hurt a grown man nevermind a child.

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2006, 08:57:09 AM »

I agree with you 100 percent on some of your points. But by the logic of the lawmakers trying to pass this bill. You should not be able to legally own a fast car. You should not be able to own a sport bike. You should not be able to own a drag racing car. How many times do young teens in fast cars make the mistake of driving above there ability crashing into and killing an Innocent car full off people. Same with sport bikes causing accidents. Should it be illegal to own sportbikes?The flaw in this is should you ban the activity so all suffer(even the responsible) or prosecute those who abuse the privilege more aggressively? I say option 2. If you ban pits the fools will just move on to another breed. Pitbulls where also breed to be very loyal to there master. They are not aggressive to humans by nature. I'm sorry but no ignorant law maker is going to ban a breed I love to get votes and please people whom are looking for vindication. You cannot blame an entire breed for the actions of some. And even then people are the ones to blame.If these cases went solely by unstable dogs and had nothing to do with the negligence or irresponsibility of owners there would be no statistics on pit attacks as they would be much less frequent. Kinda sounds familiar right? All Muslims are evil you know? All Jews are cheap. All Italians are scoundrels. All Greeks are gay. You get the point.

Don't get me wrong diesel I can see why you would feel the way you do. This breed has gotten such a bad rap it is hard to believe people can actually see through the bullshit at this point. I also respect the fact you may not particularly like pitbulls. But I do believe they should not be banned.

It's not that I don't the dog itself, just the mongs that own them. Sadly for this type of dog they attract knuckle-draggers like shit attracts flies. knuckle-draggers + Pitbull = disaster waiting to happen.

body88

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2006, 08:59:07 AM »
It's not that I don't the dog itself, just the mongs that own them. Sadly for this type of dog they attract knuckle-draggers like shit attracts flies. knuckle-draggers + Pitbull = disaster waiting to happen.

Your argument is sound and it is good to see a person on the other side of the issue not just hurling myths around.

My one question to you is this. If they do in fact ban pits and the knuckle draggers move onto dobermans or akitas what should they do?

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2006, 09:02:58 AM »
responsible pit owners that know how to handle these dogs???? what is that supposed to mean....

I think even a simpleton such as you can work out what that means

Maybe you should look into the history of the breed and why and what they were bred for before you make any comments.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2006, 09:06:25 AM »
Common Traits and things to expect from the breed are:

High levels of exercise EVERY DAY

A wonderful family dog

A very "people loving" dog

An easy to train dog that can make a wonderful partner in agility, jogging, or other activities

May not get along with other dogs, especially of the same sex

A poor guard dog; it is not a breed trait to be defensive of car, home, etc.

A social dog; most pit bulls greet strangers like long lost friends

A healthy dog that is not especially prone to many genetic diseases

Criticism from friends/family members that are misinformed about the breed

A dog that is safe with people. Human aggression, severe shyness, and instability are not traits typically found in Pit bulls.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2006, 09:14:42 AM »
I think even a simpleton such as you can work out what that means

Maybe you should look into the history of the breed and why and what they were bred for before you make any comments.

the point is you come on to a thread that should be positive  and make these stupid ass, uneducated comments about pits...why dont you atleast do some research on the breed first instead of just contributing to all the myths and misinformation that is already out there.

yeah...pits are viscous dogs by nature...dumb ass ::)

body88

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2006, 09:15:28 AM »
I think banning pitbulls is like this analogy I came up with lol.

having a clogged artery.......

you can unblock the clog which will temporarily save your life. But unless you change your lifestyle and what is causing the artery to clog you will never get better. You can keep clearing out the clogged artery but it will always come back.

Same goes for owners of these dogs. Ban pits. They will start with another breed. The problem isn't the dogs. It is the people who own them. banning pitbulls is a quick fix to a problem that will just return later on. Typical politicians move.

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2006, 09:16:31 AM »
Your argument is sound and it is good to see a person on the other side of the issue not just hurling myths around.

My one question to you is this. If they do in fact ban pits and the knuckle draggers move onto dobermans or akitas what should they do?

Interesting point and something that will happen no doubt if a ban does come into effect.

For a start I'd go after so called 'backyard breeders'. Reputable breeders seem to be a little more discerning who they sell their dogs to.

Give massive fines to irresponsible dog owners, people tend to think better if there's a threat to their bank balance

body88

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2006, 09:17:24 AM »
Interesting point and something that will happen no doubt if a ban does come into effect.

For a start I'd go after so called 'backyard breeders'. Reputable breeders seem to be a little more discerning who they sell their dogs to.

Give massive fines to irresponsible dog owners, people tend to think better if there's a threat to their bank balance

I agree. And with the issue of attacks. If a dog attacks a person unprovoked and does serious harm due to an owners negligence or abuse it should be a felony.

I am not talking about a bite or a nip. I am talking about the dumbfucks who train there dogs to kill and some little kid gets mauled because they let there dogs roam free.

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2006, 09:17:36 AM »
body 88 that is a perfect analogy. im guessing dobermans will be next, then rotts, then german shepards, ect.

body88

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2006, 09:20:01 AM »
body 88 that is a perfect analogy. im guessing dobermans will be next, then rotts, then german shepards, ect.

To me that is the issue here. You can ban pits but then it will be Shepard's. Dobermans and a slew of other breeds.

These politicians want the quick fix and the breed is the scapegoat!

Animals are just that. Animals. They need to be owned responsibly. I don't give a shit if it is a toy terrier or a pitbull. Owners need to be held accountable.

Like the analogy I made before. Are lawmakers going to ban streetbikes since some kid did a wheelie into a school bus? Or should they crucify the idiot who did the wheelie into the bus?

Set an example by getting tougher on the morons who abuse the privilege. Not giving them another opportunity to pull the same shit with a different breed.

body88

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2006, 09:26:16 AM »

Another point. When I bought Frankie I had to go through a screening process by the breeder. Back yard breeders are a big contributer to irregularities in a breeds temperament etc.

Great point you made there.

body88

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2006, 09:33:49 AM »
All I ask of anyone is to give the breed a chance. So many people just throw around accusations that are just not true.

I was so frustrated by this lady who was scared of my dog for absolutely no reason. I asked her if she had ever had contact with a pitbull or bulldog before to make her feel the way she did. She said she "had not" and she had "heard" about "that" breed. The lasy is acting all timid and scared around my 5 month old puppy. Granted he is large but he is no doubt a puppy and was so exited to meet her. She could have won an Oscar with her performance ::)

Not to long ago seven news reported a pitbull attack and the dog was clearly half pitbull half labrador retriever.

Imo to a lesser degree of course it is on par with small town,narrow minded white women being scared of black people.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2006, 09:36:25 AM »

Imo to a lesser degree of course it is on par with small town,narrow minded white women being scared of black people.

And straights anxious about gay people.  :D

body88

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2006, 09:38:31 AM »
And straights anxious about gay people.  :D

To be honest with you I have no problem with gays. A good friend of mine is gay and I like him the same as before he came out.

I also work in the nightlife and many employees and great people who work with and for me are gay.

I can get annoyed with overzelous gay but I get annoyed with overzelous strights all the same.

If a person is gay that is there deal dont have nuthin to do with me.

Bast175

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2006, 09:41:41 AM »
gay marriage should be between a man and a woman.

body88

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2006, 09:43:06 AM »
gay marriage should be between a man and a woman.

Bast!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to the north end of Boston today to my sisters apt for the match!!!!! The north end is the little Italy of Boston. It is going to be crazy there.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2006, 11:44:35 AM »
Ahem... {pssst} STella, the word is "JERK-offs"

Oops...sorry Jag ;D

Well, even regular old (English) bulldogs were bred to bait bulls but they don't have a bad rep. (probably because they're not owned by a bunch of Jerks who think it's cool to have the "toughest" dog  ::) ). 

Apparently the English bulldog was bred purposely to have all those wrinkles in it's face so that when holding the throat of a bull (in the dog's mouth) the blood would run down the wrinkles and away from the dog's eyes. :P

R

body88

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2006, 12:01:24 PM »
Oops...sorry Jag ;D

Well, even regular old (English) bulldogs were bred to bait bulls but they don't have a bad rep. (probably because they're not owned by a bunch of Jerks who think it's cool to have the "toughest" dog  ::) ). 

Apparently the English bulldog was bred purposely to have all those wrinkles in it's face so that when holding the throat of a bull (in the dog's mouth) the blood would run down the wrinkles and away from the dog's eyes. :P

American bulldogs are part old English bulldog and part bull mastiff. Here is one from a few days ago. Also one from when he was 13 weeks old.

Pits have old English bulldog in them. As well as terrier. Old English bulldogs where the original fighting dogs as well as other things such as bull baiting which Stella has said. The thing is the dogs are ESPECIALLY people friendly as they where breed to want to do nothing more than please there masters.

My pup lineage is along the same lines. American bulldogs where bread to bait bulls, hunt bore,work (pull weights), and also be guards of the family and or farm. A lineage is a means to an end. These animals are not aggressive by nature to humans.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2006, 02:42:31 PM »
banned here in the uk and north or ireland. they are beoing beefed up on steroids and breed to fight. there have been too many kids in particular mauled by them.

also northern ireland is only country in uk which u can legally own a wolf. huskies are poppoing up 2. saw a wolf oyther day in town. was huge. paw was the size of a dinner plate. back was o thick and muscly. it was also aboyut 3.5 foot high people just stopped and stared in amazement. maybe was a wolf or huskie bread with summat else. was so huge and thick. dirty brown hair. the biggest and thickest looking dog i ever seen. an old irish wolfhound i had was taller tho not as big. this thing was scary lol tho just sat in street whilst owner just ran into shop. very cool