Author Topic: PBW: Bill Pearl Discussion - Plus: Houston Pro Preview (Replay)  (Read 17585 times)

suckmymuscle

Re: Arnold Should Have Been 5th at the 80 Olympia?
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2008, 08:17:53 AM »
Wouldn't side by side comparisons of all the top six guys doing their mandatories settle this once and for all?

Surely someone (Tim Fogarty?) can post up the pics?

Similarly, people argue about the 94 O when it's actually pretty easy to decide who should have won:
                          1st                  2nd              3rd
Front Double Bi      Levrone            Ray              Yates
Rear Double Bi       Ray                  Levrone        Yates
Front Lat Spread   Yates                Ray             Levrone
Rear Lat Spread    Yates                Ray             Levrone
Abs and Thigh       Ray                  Yates           Levrone
Side Chest           Levrone             Yates           Ray
Side Tri               Ray                   Yates           Levrone
Most Muscular      Levrone             Yates           Ray

...few people looking over the video would disagree with any of these individual pose placings... so then you simply assign three points to a first place, two points to a second place, and one point to a third place and you get a close result:
1st Shawn Ray     (17 points)
2nd Dorian Yates  (16 points)
3rd Kevin Levrone (15 points)

This result might have changed if bodybuilding had true proper scoring: meaning each and every competitor compared to each and every other competitor (in twos) for each and every mandatory pose instead of the bullshit name recognition and order-of-callouts-deciding-the-result system we have now.

But then again, it doesn't take much thinking to decide on a more equitable judging system... so it stands to reason to assume that the current system is used as a tool to fix contests by means of manipulating the callouts... this was quite apparent in 1980.

The Luke

Your "evaluation" of who should have won the 1994 Olympia is wrong on so many levels that I don't even know where to begin...

SUCKMYMUSCLE

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2008, 10:38:17 AM »
  Your "evaluation" of who should have won the 1994 Olympia is wrong on so many levels that I don't even know where to begin...

SUCKMYMUSCLE

...you use the phrase "Don't know where to begin" a lot. Whenever anyone else attempts to make a contribution you cut them off with one of these dismissive remarks.

Problem is... you never seem to know where to begin and we're all left in the position of having to take your genius on faith. I've never been impressed by your reasoning, humour or contribution SUCKMYMUSCLE... all you ever seem to post is disparaging unfunny quips.

This is GetBig... explain yourself... otherwise you're just another 800-lb-benching supermodel-screwing anonymous armchair know-it-all.

The Luke

suckmymuscle

« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2008, 11:38:08 AM »
...you use the phrase "Don't know where to begin" a lot. Whenever anyone else attempts to make a contribution you cut them off with one of these dismissive remarks.

The stupidity of what you say is self-evident and precludes the need for further elucidation.

Problem is... you never seem to know where to begin and we're all left in the position of having to take your genius on faith.

This quote is laughable at best, considering I have some of the longest posts in this board's history, where I explain my point in precise and deep detail.

I've never been impressed by your reasoning, humour or contribution SUCKMYMUSCLE... all you ever seem to post is disparaging unfunny quips.

Lmao...hm...ok. I would reply by saying right back at you, but truthfully I don't even read most of your posts for lack of interest, so I can't really evaluate the value of your contributions - although judging from the little I've read of your posts, as well as what other members say about you, I think you are a complete retard.

This is GetBig... explain yourself... otherwise you're just another 800-lb-benching supermodel-screwing anonymous armchair know-it-all.

I stopped reading your "evaluation"  of the 1994 Olympia when you gave the back double biceps to Shawn Ray over Dorian. The only thing Ray takes in this mandatory are biceps, and even that's debatable. In terms of muscular thickness, detail, completeness and even conditioning, Dorian wins the mandatory hands down. Dorian takes calves, hams, traps and back. Shawn might be a match or even slightly better in back detail, but Dorian crushes him on width and thickness. You don't need to be a genius to comprehend that a man who is 5'7 and competed at 205 lbs wouldn't be Mr.Olympia. This is bodybuilding above all, and Shawn Ray simply didn't have the sheer muscular thickness to win the Big One.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

AVBG

Re: PBW: The Legendary Bill Pearl (Plus: Houston Pro Preview) Tonight
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2008, 12:54:52 PM »
Bill Pearl defeated Sean Connery back in the day.  Dude had Triceps like Ernie Taylor.

Bill Pearl's interview was all class.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
Re: PBW: Bill Pearl Discussion - Plus: Houston Pro Preview (Replay)
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2008, 01:31:56 PM »
SUCKMYMUSCLE,

I apologise... I thought you were a an attention seeking troll, my mistake... you're obviously an argument mongering Dorian fan-boy kid.

I'll ignore your "contributions" in future.

The Luke

suckmymuscle

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2008, 03:47:10 PM »
SUCKMYMUSCLE,

I apologise... I thought you were a an attention seeking troll, my mistake... you're obviously an argument mongering Dorian fan-boy kid.

I'll ignore your "contributions" in future.

The Luke

I accept your admission of defeat. :)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

AVBG

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2008, 11:42:03 PM »
 :)

Croatian

• Getbig II
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2008, 03:19:12 AM »
Bill Pearl, the head judge back in 1980, said Arnold should have been no higher than 5th at the 80 O.  Pretty funny because Arnold said on PBW that BIll had him 3rd.    How the fu%# did Arnold win? 

I was at that joke contest 1980 it was a set up victory for Arnold one of my frends Jan Jansen told as night before in his Brodway gym what would hapend.
Jan & Frank Burwash were 2 of Australians judges at that Sydney Opera House show after pre-judging they walked away and they did not attend final at 8pm.Aussie audience was boooing very loudly, it was Mike Mentzer or Frank Zane for the title, Joe Weider run of the stage what a coward.Mike did not accept his "trophy" just walked of the stage Frank smashed his in Opera House wall.Arnold the 1st, what a superjoke.
Someone should ask Mr.Pearl what hapend with 2 Aussie judges ?.O, by the Arnold would be a year later Best man at weding of Paul & Caroline Graham promoters of Mr.Olympia '80.
Greetings from Sydney

Croatian

• Getbig II
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2008, 03:23:58 AM »
Agreed
Arnold kills Mentzer in every bodybuilding aspect

But NOT at Sydney's Mr.Olympia, he was out of shape I was there my frend.

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2008, 03:42:02 PM »
But NOT at Sydney's Mr.Olympia, he was out of shape I was there my frend.

I was there too! Arnold was IN SHAPE and WON! And what?!  :P