Getbig Bodybuilding Boards > Nutrition, Products & Supplements Info

BigCyps Frugal Fitness - Part one: BB Meals for under £1 / $1.50

(1/14) > >>

BigCyp:
Many budding bodybuilders beginning their quest to craft a decent physique can be discouraged at the extra food bill this often involves. With the price of even the most basic foods increasing well above inflation rates and annual pay increases, just adding more protein to the weekly shopping list can be too expensive for some budgets.

One of the reasons I dragged my first 2kg bag of whey to the counter at the GNC store (and left with an even heavier chunk missing from my part-time earnings) was simply because I thought ‘real’ food had to be far more expensive, not to mention time consuming. Over the years I’ve come to realise that not only can you eat ‘bodybuilding food’ that tastes delicious very cheaply, preparing it doesn’t necessarily have to eat into valuable posting time on getbig.com!

My cooking is something that I’ve always managed to surprise people with, as if somehow having a bit of muscle translates into strictly hand shaken or microwave cooked meals! However, I want to keep the recipes I post in this thread quick and simple to follow. What’s the point of making breakfast for 50p/75 cents, if it takes an hour to put together?

The vast majority of my grocery shopping takes place at beloved ALDI, but I do pass through Sainsbury’s (U.K. getbiggers) to pick up some items from the basic range simply because the price can’t be beat (none of the recipes I post in this thread will involve adding protein powders or other supplements). Not everyone who tries these recipes will be able to put them together for exactly the same cost overall, but if you’re saving money and eating well as a result – I'll be a happy getbigger. When I get a chance I'll update these recipes to include my own pictures, to keep it a bit more interesting - please feel free to add your own creations to the thread!

1.Simple Banana Protein Pancakes – 69p/$1.05(30g protein, 35g carbs, 20g fat, 440 kcals)

What you’ll need: 1 banana, 4 whole eggs, ½ cup dry oats (cinnamon/mixed spice to taste if you need it)

Simply throw everything in a blender and blitz until smooth and put a small pan on a low heat with a splash of oil/butter/low kcal spray. Pour in around 1/3 of the mixture once the pan’s hot and give it a few minutes on each side until nicely browned. Sprinkle with cinnamon/splenda/whatever you prefer and start eating the first one, while you browse the G&O board and cook the rest! These have a lovely texture to them and the mix of oat & banana reminds me of my wife's banana loaf, yum.

Cut the yolks for a low fat/lower calories option, or reduce the oats to 1/4 cup to bring it down to around 26g if dieting with low carbs. If you need 600kcals for breakfast, make enough for another pancake!

Should look something like this:

(Eggs: 15 for £1.35 Aldi, Rolled Oats: 1kg for £0.60 Aldi, Bananas: 8 for £0.69p Aldi - you could eat these for breakfast every day of the week for only £4.50)

The True Adonis:
Where is the flour and buttermilk?  ???

BigCyp:

--- Quote from: The True Adonis on May 16, 2013, 05:57:57 AM ---Where is the flour and buttermilk?  ???

--- End quote ---

Blended oats instead of flour, and I don't even know what buttermilk is my brother lol  ;D

Granted it would probably taste better with both of your suggestions Adam!

BigCyp:
This next installment was inspired by a recipe on my sister's food blog, which I've amended a tad to up the protein content. With protein comes extra pennies, however at 24p a burger I'm sure no one will be complaining to the moderators!

2. Egg, Carrot, & Kidney Bean burgers with a hint of curry  - £0.64p/ 98 cents (makes 4)(35g protein, 44g carbs, 12g fat, 600 kcals/150 per patty)
What you'll need: 1 can of red kidney beans, 2 eggs (whole), 1 large carrot, 1 sm onion, heaped teaspoon of hot curry powder, 1 tablespoon dry oats, sm handful coriander (optional) salt/pepper to taste.

1. Drain the can of beans and rinse thoroughly in cold water (gets rid of gloopy 'tinny' taste) throw them in a small pan and cover with boiling water and simmer for 10 minutes to soften them.

2. While they are boiling, finely chop the onion, grate the carrot, and add coriander and curry powder with a little salt and pepper. Saute in a frying pan with a little oil/butter/no kcal spray and stir until the onion softens (usually 4-5 mins) and remove from heat.

3. Once the beans have softened, drain away all the liquid and add to a bowl along with the carrot and onions. At this point add 2 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, and a large tablespoon of oats. Mash it all together with a fork/potato masher until you have a smoothish consistency

4. Heat a drop of oil in a pan on a medium heat, and spoon the mixture into 4 large patties (at this point you'll need to keep 'shaping' the patties for 30 seconds so they hold their shape). Cook each side for around 5 minutes on each side until browned/your sure the egg's cooked (handle gently while turning!).

5. Serve hot with your favourite complex carbohydrates - you could even bake a few sweet potatoes and have Pat Banya round for tea!  ;D (I just eat all 4 four on their own with some hot sauce)

My sisters version:

(Eggs: £1.35 for 15 - Aldi, Kidney Beans 21p Sainsbury/Tesco, Carrot 8p loose Sainsbury, Onion 8p loose Sainsbury, Oil 5p, Oats 2p)

Mazda323:
Those pancakes are my offseason special breakfast!!!

I just change the eggs, i put 5 egg whites and 1 whole egg. I don't pay for the eggs, because my grandmother provides me when i go to my village every Sunday.

Cinnamon, stevia, and it's perfect!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version