Author Topic: Which Breed of Dog is Most Aggressive?  (Read 8321 times)

~weed~

Which Breed of Dog is Most Aggressive?
« on: July 08, 2008, 01:01:31 PM »
http://www.newsnet5.com/family/16819735/detail.html?taf=nn5

Which Breed Of Dog Is Most Aggressive?
Study Finds Dachshund To Be Most Aggressive Breed*

http://www.newsnet5.com/slideshow/family/16820327/detail.html

(photo slideshow of aggressive breeds)

They may not look as threatening as some of the larger canine, but research revealed that the dachshund is the most aggressive breed of dog.

Citing a study published by Applied Animal Behavior Science, the British newspaper The Daily Telegraph reported that one in five dachshunds has bitten or tried to bite strangers, and one in 12 has shown aggression toward its owners.

The study involved researchers from the University of Pennsylvania. About 6,000 dog owners were questioned about their dogs' behavior. Thirty-three breeds were ranked on their aggression.

Ranking below the dachshund was an even smaller dog, the Chihuahua. According to the newspaper, research found that the tiny breed often snaps at most beings it encounters -- including its owners, strangers and other dogs.

The Jack Russell terrier was third, followed by the Akita and the Australian cattle dog. The pit bull was sixth, followed by the beagle, the English springer spaniel, the border collie and the German shepherd.

The Telegraph reported that researchers said previous studies on canine aggression could have been misleading as most bites from smaller dogs were not reported. According to the researchers, bites from larger dogs were more likely to require medical attention than those from smaller dogs.

According to the Telegraph, the Rottweiler, which is widely believed to be an aggressive dog, scored average to below average ratings for its hostility toward strangers.

The newspaper reported that some of the lowest scoring breeds for aggression included the Basset hound, golden retriever, Labradors, Siberian huskies and greyhounds.

*weiners are nasty!!!    ;D

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Which Breed of Dog is Most Aggressive?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 06:56:15 PM »
that i can believe those dogs are pretty nasty.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 07:09:20 PM »
hot dogs can be snippy

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 07:40:36 PM »
hot dogs can be snippy

it's funny you should say that because I know a wiener dog named "snippy", which is a pretty idiotic name if ya ask me, but snippy would bark and bark and bark at me until just recently and now we're pretty ok with each other .

I guess he finally saw the goodness in me,and now we're buds....

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 10:21:35 AM »
this is not an accurate study.  For real findings on animal temperment go to http://www.atts.org/

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 04:39:17 PM »

They may not look as threatening as some of the larger canine, but research revealed that the dachshund is the most aggressive breed of dog.

I saw a gal w/a weiner dog today and mentioned this.  She said she had heard it too and agreed, her weiner dog could be pretty protective of her.  He was cute but I was afraid to pet him :-\
R

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 06:24:13 PM »
LOL this thread reminds me of my friends old weiner dog named Doogie, really good dog but i was always a little cautious around him. You could pick him up and hold him in front of you and move him up and down and he would grunt though....lol funniest thing ever, huhhh huhhh huhhhh...hahahah i miss that guy

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 07:53:34 PM »
Here we go with the dog aggression stuff again, lol.

This topic is so deep that it cannot be deemed "X breed is aggressive" from a study.  They ASKED people about their dogs.  Few huge problems.

1)  By and large dog owners do not train their dogs and the dogs are a mess no matter the breed.
2)  Define aggression, because there is a ton of diff ways to look at behavior and the reason for them
3)  I have argued with people about this topic a million times over, and I am not going to do so again, but just briefly...no dog is born aggressive.  If ANY of those breeds truly are aggressive, it is because someone either made them that way or fucked up so royally in their socialization and lack of training that they became aggressive.

People that own toy breeds are much less likely in my opinion to pay any serious attention to their training because they aren't a physical threat.  NORMALLY owners of large, powerful breeds know a lot more about dogs (and their own dog) than those who have dogs under 50lbs.  I know this is a weird rationalization but I believe its true.  In peoples minds, they could have a crazy ass chihuahua who tried to attack everyone, but lets face it, a Chihuahua isn't gonna kill anyone.  People realize this.  If it is a German Shepherd, the situation is reversed and normally people are more responsible.  Alot of the toy breeds in my obedience class are brilliant, but at home and with strangers there are issues.  The opposite is the case with the Goldens/Rotties/GSD's/Collie's, etc.

All this shows is the answers to a bunch of questions U Penn asked dog owners.  And FYI, I've been to U Penn's hospital 3 separate times for when my dog was a puppy, and he saw a dentist there 3x.  They are wonderful there, but this whole thing is blah.

PS-  My favorite part is:

"According to the Telegraph, the Rottweiler, which is widely believed to be an aggressive dog, scored average to below average ratings for its hostility toward strangers."

People are so intelligent.  That study is stupid.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 09:54:08 PM »
my experience with wiener dogs is that the majority of them are loud,and the majority of the loud ones will be loud as they're back peddling away from ya when you confront them,which could hardly be termed "aggressive"..

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 04:27:15 AM »
my experience with wiener dogs is that the majority of them are loud,and the majority of the loud ones will be loud as they're back peddling away from ya when you confront them,which could hardly be termed "aggressive"..

Try walking away in a hurry and see what happens... ;)
?

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 08:44:42 AM »
It might be agreesive but if it bites you it won't hurt much.

~weed~

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 12:23:51 PM »

their teeth & breath are what make them aggressive
   8)

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 06:02:17 AM »
Wifeys family owns weiner dogs, some are some are snippy some arent, almost all are yappy though
X

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 09:35:15 PM »
People that own toy breeds are much less likely in my opinion to pay any serious attention to their training because they aren't a physical threat.  NORMALLY owners of large, powerful breeds know a lot more about dogs (and their own dog) than those who have dogs under 50lbs.  I know this is a weird rationalization but I believe its true.  In peoples minds, they could have a crazy ass chihuahua who tried to attack everyone, but lets face it, a Chihuahua isn't gonna kill anyone.  People realize this.  If it is a German Shepherd, the situation is reversed and normally people are more responsible.  Alot of the toy breeds in my obedience class are brilliant, but at home and with strangers there are issues.  The opposite is the case with the Goldens/Rotties/GSD's/Collie's, etc.

makes sense to me. if you buy a mastiff, you're going to be damn sure it's not going to go berzerk and try and tackle you down. but if you've got a yorkie, who gives a shit? it's a yorkie, it's not like the thing's going to charge at you and chew your throat off. no one's really "afraid" of a small dog, they just don't want to get a nipped finger and a vicious chihuahua will be seen as annoying over a threat. that pissed off great dane, on the other hand? now it's a problem.

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 03:24:59 AM »

This topic is so deep that it cannot be deemed "X breed is aggressive" from a study.  They ASKED people about their dogs.  Few huge problems.

1)  By and large dog owners do not train their dogs and the dogs are a mess no matter the breed.
2)  Define aggression, because there is a ton of diff ways to look at behavior and the reason for them
3)  I have argued with people about this topic a million times over, and I am not going to do so again, but just briefly...no dog is born aggressive.  If ANY of those breeds truly are aggressive, it is because someone either made them that way or fucked up so royally in their socialization and lack of training that they became aggressive.

All this shows is the answers to a bunch of questions U Penn asked dog owners.  And FYI, I've been to U Penn's hospital 3 separate times for when my dog was a puppy, and he saw a dentist there 3x.  They are wonderful there, but this whole thing is blah.

"According to the Telegraph, the Rottweiler, which is widely believed to be an aggressive dog, scored average to below average ratings for its hostility toward strangers."

Great post, I have 3 Dachshunds and I promise they don't bite.  They are great "watch" dogs and companions.  The points you brought our are EXACTLY CORRRECT!

Thanks for the great post!

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 12:40:05 AM »
I dunno I'd probably have to say a Chihuaha.

A buddy of mine has one and I was getting out of my truck in his parking lot; he opened the door and the dog made a bee line for me... Didn't even look to the sides as he was hauling ass my way....pretty much eyes narrowed and focused on me the whole time.

As soon as I stepped down from my pick up he bit my toes with everything he had(I was wearing flip flops).

I jumped up back into the truck and pulled a bisquit out of the Fried Chicken box I had brought over and tried to calm the situation. The owner had gotten to the scene by then and had the dog in his arms, but when I tried to give the dog some of the bisquit the little motherf*cker snapped at me.

Pretty much the rest of the afternoon the dog sat by himself on the couch, paws clinched in anger, eyes watered up and shivering with rage while staring at me.

Btw, I really do like dogs alot but that's pretty much the only negative experience I have had with them.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 07:39:49 AM »

The other thing you are forgetting is the prdisposition for people to make excuses for and laugh at aggressive little dogs, but freak out at a big dog, no matter what breed and no matter if its aggressive or not.       

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 09:59:24 AM »

A buddy of mine has one and I was getting out of my truck in his parking lot; he opened the door and the dog made a bee line for me... Didn't even look to the sides as he was hauling ass my way....pretty much eyes narrowed and focused on me the whole time.

As soon as I stepped down from my pick up he bit my toes with everything he had(I was wearing flip flops).

I jumped up back into the truck and pulled a bisquit out of the Fried Chicken box I had brought over and tried to calm the situation. The owner had gotten to the scene by then and had the dog in his arms, but when I tried to give the dog some of the bisquit the little motherf*cker snapped at me.

Pretty much the rest of the afternoon the dog sat by himself on the couch, paws clinched in anger, eyes watered up and shivering with rage while staring at me.

Btw, I really do like dogs alot but that's pretty much the only negative experience I have had with them.

I'm glad you're OK but the way you wrote this was hilarious!
R

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 10:02:49 AM »

HAHAHA  too funny.  shivering with rage, lol.  i don't like yay yap dogs

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 01:31:53 PM »
I'm glad you're OK but the way you wrote this was hilarious!

HAHAHA  too funny.  shivering with rage, lol.  i don't like yay yap dogs

Hey thanks for the concern y'all. I was a little shaken up at first but I turned out okay at the end, just left a small bite mark on my foot...nothing too serious.

I never really thought about it but I guess looking back at it, it was kinda funny.  :)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 01:45:29 AM »

Citing a study published by Applied Animal Behavior Science, the British newspaper The Daily Telegraph reported that one in five dachshunds has bitten or tried to bite strangers, and one in 12 has shown aggression toward its owners.

*weiners are nasty!!!    ;D

Shows that the weiner dog has always been a dick!

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 01:00:47 AM »
Cocker Spaniels, Dalmations and Chihuahuas in my experience.

250lbsGOINGon280lbs

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 12:24:41 PM »
dogs are only aggressive due 2 the owners lack of knowledge in training and taking care of the animal

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 09:17:31 AM »
Bandogs are probably the most aggressive dogs right now.  They are bred purely for this achievement i.e. protection and guarding. 

body88

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2009, 09:25:52 PM »
Bandogs are probably the most aggressive dogs right now.  They are bred purely for this achievement i.e. protection and guarding.  

Agreed.  However, your previous comment about a well trained GSD being able to handle a truly game pit is inaccurate, imo.  I am a staunch opponent to any form of dogfighting, but a game pit would annihilate any GSD, trained or not.  The only breed that scumbag fighters consider to sniff a dogfighting ring (other than pits) are Tosa's, but they are very massive.