Author Topic: The best way to give a cat its medication?  (Read 8899 times)

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
The best way to give a cat its medication?
« on: March 24, 2010, 09:16:47 AM »
As mentioned in another thread, my gf's cat recently came home after disappearing for four months.

All was going well until about two weeks ago, when Stan suddenly started having fits - they started off as quite "mild" partial fits and ended up in full blown fits. We went to the vets and they prescribed him barbiturates to control the seizures.

We started off putting them in to food that he liked - cream, mayonnaise, tuna etc -, but he doesn't always eat all of it, so you can't ensure that he's getting the full dose. Also, the medication is very strong tasting (I got a mouth and eyefull of it last night trying to syringe it into an angry Stan's mouth), so if you put it on to a small amount of food he notices it straight away and then refuses to eat it.

We've decided to syringe it in to his mouth to ensure he gets the right dose, but he isn't having any of it and we've had to resort to me pinning him down with a blanket and my gf then syringing it in to his mouth. Obviously, this isn't ideal as it stresses him massively and my gf can't do it by herself - I'm often away in the week.

So, any tips of stress free ways of getting it in to his mouth would be appreciated? As would any suggestions for strong tasting foods that I could put it in to?

Cheers.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: The best way to give a cat its medication?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 10:13:24 AM »
found this video:

http://www.ehow.com/video_2259732_get-cat-liquid-medication.html

Another site said don't shoot it down there because they can choke..make sure they are swallowing it and:

Here is some more:

Q. How do I give my cat a liquid medication?

A. If your cat is not on dietary restrictions, your veterinarian said the medication can be given with food, and the dose is small, the easiest way may be to mix it with a small amount of canned food. It is best to give a small amount of the food without the medication first. This lowers your cat's suspicion index. It is best not to mix the medication in an entire meal, since if the cat does not eat the whole meal, she will not get the appropriate dose of medication.

If your cat will not take the medication in food, cannot have food with the medication, or the dose is too large, then it is down the hatch.

Get the medication ready – shake the bottle if necessary, and withdraw the appropriate amount of liquid into the dropper or oral syringe provided by your veterinarian. Place the filled dropper or syringe where it will be handy.

Bring your cat to the place you will give the medication, talking to her in a happy voice. If you do not sound worried or concerned, your cat will be less likely to feel that way as well.

Sometimes, it is helpful to wrap the cat in a blanket or very large towel so just her head is sticking out. Place her back end against something so she cannot back away from you. I have found that when giving medication to my Siamese cat, who fights against it literally tooth and nail, wrapping him in a large towel and then placing him between my knees as I sit on the floor gives me the most control. Other people like to place the cat more at eye level – on a table.

Pick up the syringe or dropper. (If you are right-handed, use your right hand.)

Using your other hand, gently (but firmly) grasp your cat's head from above with your thumb on one side of the hinge of the jaw and your fingers on the other.

Place the tip of the eyedropper or syringe into the mouth in the space right behind the long canine teeth. This area has only a few very small teeth.

Advance the eyedropper or tip of the syringe into the mouth until it is just past the teeth.

Slowly administer the medication. Give the medication in small amounts with a slight pause between each portion. Be very careful not to give it faster than your cat can swallow it. Do not try to give all of the liquid at once, since this may cause choking or vomiting. Your cat may spit out some of the medication. If this occurs, do not re-administer another dose unless you feel the cat spit out the entire dose.

Hold your cat's mouth closed, and have her head in a normal position, which will make swallowing easier. Gently rub or blow on your cat's nose; this often stimulates a cat to lick her nose, and then swallow.

TIPS

Have your cat's nails trimmed prior to giving the medication. (However, do not try to do one procedure right after the other.)
You may want to practice first, using water instead of the medication.

Wipe off any medication that got on your cat's face using a soft, moist cloth.

Talk softly and stroke your cat, or give another type of praise your cat will enjoy, e.g., a food treat. This will make the next time easier. And remember, the more efficiently you can give the medication, the easier it is on both of you.

Rinse the syringe/dropper with tap water and return the medication to the refrigerator, if necessary.

Sorry Stan is having a bad time. :(  Thanks for sticking w/him!
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 10:21:58 AM »
Have the pharmacy compound the medication with a flavor or ask the vet to get it done.  Their are places that compound meds for animals, then you can try finding one he likes.   I always have syringed in the side of the pets mouth and slowly because of the risk of aspirating.  But if this is going to be a long term med then I would try and get the med in a flavor he likes.   You could also try mixing the med in with babyfood (chicken or turkey) then giving it with the syringe.  Obviously you want to try and use the least amount of babyfood so you can get it all in him.

Good luck!  If you can't get the med compounded through your vet let me know, I can find some sources for you.
   :)

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 11:54:13 AM »
Thanks, both of you. Lots of great infomation. :)

I've had success today by giving him a tiny bit of tuna with no medcine, then follow up with another bit of tuna but with the medcine mushed in to it. He's a tad suspicious, but eventually eats it all (I gave it to him at feeding time and removed all over food sources.)

I'll ask the vet about blended medication, sounds like it could save a lot of arseing around.

Again, thanks.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 11:40:07 AM »
How is Stan doing PA?
R

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 04:17:14 AM »
How is Stan doing PA?

A bit hit and miss to be honest, Stella. He was taking the medicine in food again, but he slowly began to cotton on to what we're up to (I'm seriously beginning to think that cats are far more intelligent than they are given credit for. The gf's dogs always fall for this trick.) and started to leave bits of it or ignore it completely. As a result, his behaviour started to go downhill again and he had a minor fit the other night - pupils dilated, dribbling and chasing his tail in circles whilst twitching.

So, we had to go back to wrapping him in a blanket and syringing it in to his mouth. This has got the fits back under control but it's resulted in him declaring war on me, as I'm the one that usually does it. He won't come near me, refuses to blink back at me if I blink at him and when I gave him some of my tuna steak the other night, he rewarded my sucking up to him by going in the spare room and pooing on my rucksack. :D

We're going to the vets Tuesday to see about switching from liquid medication to tablet form. He's took tablets more easily before and the amount you're giving them is more exact. The worrying thing is that we're not sure what's actually causing the fits.

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 05:14:06 AM »
I have 4 cats and have had a lot of experience delivering meds.  Since cats sleep all of the time just wait them out and shoot it in while they are napping.  wake them up first with some gentle pets the bam.  lol.  My wife has the best technique though...she has me always do it.  >:(

Cats are awesome.  :)

I have had him with the sleep attack once or twice, but he's on full alert at the moment and tends to sleep with one eye open.

My gf is big on the "I hold him while she shoots it in to his mouth" technique. My scratch covered hands and arms bear witness to this.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 02:24:47 PM »
. The worrying thing is that we're not sure what's actually causing the fits.

Yeah that has to be pretty painful watching those :(

I had to laugh at the rucksack incident though.... he's a feisty one ;D
R

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 04:50:04 AM »
The worrying thing is that we're not sure what's actually causing the fits.

This struck me too.  I'd ask the vet why he/she feels this particular medication suits the cat's condition.  

If you or the gf never noticed these fits before the cat disappeared for a few months, it might be worth investigating if he picked up a parasite out there.  It's pretty gruesome to say (sorry) but maybe something has made it's way to the cats brain.  Is there any such thing as feline syphilis?  Or maybe the cat picked up a case of BSE.  If his behaviour is getting odd, it might be worth testing for.  Not sure if it would present a risk to humans.  Not trying to be a black cloud, bro.

Found this:

"Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies (TSEs) are diseases characterized by spongy degeneration of the brain with severe and fatal neurological signs and symptoms. BSE is one of several different forms of transmissible brain disease affecting a number of animal species. Scrapie is a common disease in sheep and goats. Mink and North American mule deer and elk can contract TSEs. A neurological disease in household cats and in ruminant and feline species in zoos has been linked to BSE; most cases in such animals appear to have occurred in the UK."

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 08:11:22 AM »
This struck me too.  I'd ask the vet why he/she feels this particular medication suits the cat's condition. 

If you or the gf never noticed these fits before the cat disappeared for a few months, it might be worth investigating if he picked up a parasite out there.  It's pretty gruesome to say (sorry) but maybe something has made it's way to the cats brain.  Is there any such thing as feline syphilis?  Or maybe the cat picked up a case of BSE.  If his behaviour is getting odd, it might be worth testing for.  Not sure if it would present a risk to humans.  Not trying to be a black cloud, bro.

Found this:

"Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies (TSEs) are diseases characterized by spongy degeneration of the brain with severe and fatal neurological signs and symptoms. BSE is one of several different forms of transmissible brain disease affecting a number of animal species. Scrapie is a common disease in sheep and goats. Mink and North American mule deer and elk can contract TSEs. A neurological disease in household cats and in ruminant and feline species in zoos has been linked to BSE; most cases in such animals appear to have occurred in the UK."

Cheers for the info, mate. I think the vet opted for this medication as it's a general anti-seizure type med. He said that there are four possible causes for the seizures:

1. Epilepsy - The fact that the fits started late in life points away from this.
2. He sustained a head trauma while missing and the scar tissue is putting pressure on the brain.
3. A brain tumour.
4. Other - this is where your theory may come into play.

The problem with options 2 and 3 is that they would require a brain scan to diagnose exactly, and there are only a few places in the UK which scan cats and it costs well over a thousand pounds. And seeing how they generally don't perform brain surgery on cats the scan would be a bit pointless.

With regards the parasite bse/possibility, I will ask the vet about it. It's hard to tell if he's acting strange; he was disorientated when we got him back (put this down to him going from being incredibly pampered, to living wild during one of the coldest winters on record), then he started fitting so we put him on medication and this has side effects which causes him to act pretty strange. Also, as far as cats go, he's always been pretty thick and strange acting anyway.

On a brighter note, he's only had two fits since we upped his medication in the beginning of April and we put this down to being stressed by the vets tyring to take a blood sample off him - the only way they can safely get near him is by knocking him out or wrapping him in a towel.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 10:03:13 AM »
Tbh mate, I'm not a cat guy and don't know much about them.  Grew up with a few but the old man banished them to the garage one day.  "If I have to clean up one more hairball!"  And then he did apparently.  So they had a little cubbyhouse with a heating lamp in the winter.  They were still free range, of course, and had food, water, and a crapper standing by.

I know how it is to get attached to a pet tho, even a gf's pet.  Stella knows what a weirdo I am when it comes to my old dog, so I don't want to put too fine a point on it (but I will) when I say that my first concern would be to ensure that the cat hasn't picked up something potentially communicable, like a parasite or a TSE.

Hopefully it's just something harmless and the cat will learn to accept a med squirt as part of the daily routine.  But I'd be considering declawing if I were you.  ;)  j/k

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 06:12:55 PM »
 Stella knows what a weirdo I am when it comes to my old dog,

I think most of us here are in the weirdo club :)
R

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 12:19:42 AM »
I think most of us here are in the weirdo club :)

Ya but in my case it's only when it comes to the dog!  ::)   ;D

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 06:27:05 AM »
Ya but in my case it's only when it comes to the dog!  ::)   ;D

R

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 08:21:14 PM »
pissed kitty!

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 07:54:22 AM »
Stan hasn't had a fit for over eight weeks, but we now have another problem!

Despite not being in possesion of a pair of testicles for the best part of a decade, the little ratbag has taken to making sweet, sweet loving to household objects. We had to put a throw over the side of the sofa to stop him scratching it at night and now when ever he gets the chance he starts making these weird chirping noises, kneads the throw with his font paws and starts grinding it with his back end. He has even turned his attention to any item of clothing that gets left within in his reach.

This is similar to what he does:

What is strange is that the sex pest completely ignores our female cat; he's more of a fan of inanimate objects, it seems.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 05:23:08 PM »
Bahahaha!  Feels good, man!

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 05:12:53 AM »
Bahahaha!  Feels good, man!

The worst thing is that he is constantly at it; he just starts doing it right next to you when you are trying to watch the TV. My missus thought he was "making a nest" at first, until I pointed out his visible state of arousal.

When he finally has enough of you shooing him off the throw, he sits on the floor, licks his little red fella and then falls asleep.

Pic of Stan starting his courtship:

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 08:17:43 AM »

Found this on www.thecatsite.com

"I have a 10 y/o neutered male short hair cat who has recently begun humping everything! He drags my clothes out of the laundry basket and humps them, as well as his cat toys, pillows, blankets, etc. Seems to be anything soft and/or furry. This is an actual humping action, not just kneading. He makes odd crying sounds and just humps away. It's not only strange, but it is very irritating as he does this in the middle of the night and wakes us up.

After searching the internet and finding many stories about similar behaviors and nothing about any real solutions... I called the University of California at Davis - Small Animal Hospital of Behavior Science. I had a 10 minute consultation with a graduate student who specializes in feline behavior problems. He said that it's a common occurance in neutered male cats, that likely happens when the cat is seeking attention. This behavior can be brought on by a traumatic experience like an injury or surgery, or when a new cat or human is brought into the household. The cat that's humping is manifesting it's need for affection/attention through it's humping behavior. The humping behavior is not neccessarily a sexual behavior, it's just a physical reaction to their feelings of neediness.

The solution is to give the cat extra attention, especially when it starts with the humping behavior. Pick the cat up, talk to the cat, pet the cat, etc. In extreme situations, an anti-depressant can be prescribed for the cat (I do not support this idea), which will not only improve the cat's state of happiness but also will decrease it's sex drive (as it does in humans).

I hope that this info helps some of you out there. I've been paying extra attention to my cat and he has decreased his humping behavior. I'm hoping that it will eventually just go away.
"

R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 08:19:26 AM »
"The grad student may be understating the sexual aspect of it. With my cat it's clearly sexual... there's an orgasm at the end. And it doesn't happen more when the cat is alone more; it happens when the furry blanket is around. This was true of another male cat I had growing up, who only humped this one pillow. I think that some male cats retain more male hormones post-neutering. Or they're aroused by certain objects/textures.

Attention-seeking or stress may be the cause in cats that are doing it constantly. When it's once a day or once every few days, I figure my cat is just enjoying himself; he's certainly purring and happy."

"My cat recently started humping a blanket - he has never done it before (to my knowledge) and has only done it since I brought the blanket out of our linen closet to use as a throw on the couch (I get super cold!) He only humps this blanket.

I noticed once that he had a little kitty-erection and I thought it was odd, and then I noticed him kneading and thrusting on the blanket - when I flipped him over, there it was again. "
R

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 04:28:53 AM »
Cheers, BB. I don't think that it's attention that he craves; he's spoilt rotten and isn't a big fan of people, anyway.

I think it is more down to him being some kind of sexual deviant with a penchant for fluffy throws.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 04:36:10 AM »
Maybe he's just ronery?

This works for me.  Take it!

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 08:03:52 AM »
Maybe he's just ronery?

This works for me.  Take it!

Ha! The gf has a toy of a curled up black and white cat that breathes and Stan used to drag himself on the floor next to it, making chirping noises. He's too stupid to realise that it isn't real.

She has a photo of it on her pc, i'll try and dig it out.