Author Topic: 13,000 Chrysler workers to lose jobs  (Read 7093 times)

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
Re: 13,000 Chrysler workers to lose jobs
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2007, 09:20:49 AM »
I know my pension fund may include Toyota. What you didn't address is the huge breaks these foreign companies get to set up shop in the USA. Big advantage for them over the domestics.

People are going to buy more Toyota's and Honda's no matter where they are built because they're superior to anything the Big Three produce. Would you rather those cars be built here in the US by American citizens who pay taxes and feed the local economy or would you rather those cars be built over seas by employees that don't pay US taxes and feed the US economy? Tax breaks were the way to get those manufacturers to build factories here.

It's not a perfect situation but I'd much rather have those cars built by US citizens than built by Japanese, German or Korean citizens.

And why is it that the foreign manufacturers build better products? Why can't the Big Three build equal or better vehicles? Full size pickup trucks were always the domain of the Big Three, now that Toyota, Nissan and to a lesser extent Honda are building pickups even that could change.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2007, 10:30:22 AM »

And why is it that the foreign manufacturers build better products? Why can't the Big Three build equal or better vehicles? Full size pickup trucks were always the domain of the Big Three, now that Toyota, Nissan and to a lesser extent Honda are building pickups even that could change.

[/quote]

So far the Ridgeline, Tundra and Titan have been failures. The Ridgeline is not even a truck. It is made to compete with those goofy hybrid SUV, truck things Ford and GM make like the Sport Track or whatever it is.Have you seen its supension? Not to say the Titan or Tundra aren't good work trucks. They are. They just can't compare too Ford or GM's 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Also pick up buyers are extremely loyal to Dodge, Ford and GM.
The House that Ruth built

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2007, 10:37:18 AM »

So far the Ridgeline, Tundra and Titan have been failures. The Ridgeline is not even a truck. It is made to compete with those goofy hybrid SUV, truck things Ford and GM make like the Sport Track or whatever it is.Have you seen its supension? Not to say the Titan or Tundra aren't good work trucks. They are. They just can't compare too Ford or GM's 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Also pick up buyers are extremely loyal to Dodge, Ford and GM.

That's why I said to a lesser extent Honda, because the Ridgeline is car based and not truck based. It has also sold well.

The new Tundra is a true full size truck that is going after the F series head on. I don't know how much of a failure the Titan has been regarding sales but I know it's a start for Nissan in the true pickup truck category and more than likely they'll get better at it.

My point in bringing up the pickup trucks is that the Big Three always had those vehicles to fall back on when their passenger cars didn't sell well. If the Japanese manufacturers make any headway in that category of vehicle the Big Three will have no real guaranteed moneymaker left that isn't 100% work related.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2007, 11:07:45 AM »
Effin, you are correct. Ford, GM and Chrysler are hurt badly because they don't build any cars that people want to buy. The last really successful car from Detroit was the taurus and ford let it languish into oblivion. they build cars buy taking polls, study groups and all that new age shit instead of engineers going by their gut and designing cool products like they did from the 20's to the early 70's.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2007, 11:11:54 AM »
My understanding is that the Titan, while not a HUGE success is definitely a money maker... it's a nice truck too... a buddy of mine has one and I can't deny it's a nice ride.

It was much cheaper than a decked out F-150 and it's fully loaded.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2007, 06:09:17 PM »
My understanding is that the Titan, while not a HUGE success is definitely a money maker... it's a nice truck too... a buddy of mine has one and I can't deny it's a nice ride.

It was much cheaper than a decked out F-150 and it's fully loaded.

Ugly truck. very ugly.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2007, 06:44:48 PM »
Ugly truck. very ugly.

You really think so? I kinda like... looks a lot better than that Avalanche or that Explorer Sport-Trac... at least to me... granted, they're not trucks... but still.

I think it looks pretty good.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2007, 06:35:33 AM »
You really think so? I kinda like... looks a lot better than that Avalanche or that Explorer Sport-Trac... at least to me... granted, they're not trucks... but still.

I think it looks pretty good.

I have a 2005 4x4 F-250. I am looking to get a smaller vehicle. Maybe a Colorado. I had a bunch of Rangers but their design dates back nearly 15 years.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2007, 03:03:29 PM »
I have a 2005 4x4 F-250. I am looking to get a smaller vehicle. Maybe a Colorado. I had a bunch of Rangers but their design dates back nearly 15 years.

I love the Ford F-150... at least the current Gen.

My Father in law works in the plant (that they are shutting down) that makes them (until 2K8).

A very good truck.