Author Topic: U.S. to allow 7,000 Iraqi refugees  (Read 8746 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
U.S. to allow 7,000 Iraqi refugees
« on: February 14, 2007, 07:44:10 PM »
Good move.

U.S. to allow 7,000 Iraqi refugees
POSTED: 10:00 p.m. EST, February 14, 2007
By Elise Labott
CNN

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Bush administration hopes to resettle about 7,000 Iraqi refugees to the United States this year, the State Department said Wednesday.

The decision comes amid pressure from the U.S. Congress and the international community to do more about the growing refugee crisis.

U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees Antonio Guterres estimates as many as 2 million Iraqis have left their country since the war began, and another 1.7 million have moved within Iraq as a result of increased sectarian violence.

The United States, however, has taken in only 466 Iraqi refugees since the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003.

On Wednesday, U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice met with Guterres to outline a new U.S. program for Iraqi refugees, which includes $18 million for additional funding for UNHCR to assist with resettlement of refugees in other countries and humanitarian aid.

The plan is the work of a new task force announced last week to study the Iraqi refugee issue.

U.S. Undersecretary Paula Dobriansky, who led the task force, said the United States would attempt to resettle about 7,000 Iraqi refugees from countries where they have fled from Iraq.

"The United States and the international community can best help displaced Iraqis by quelling the violence in Iraq," she said. "At the same time, we have a responsibility to respond to the immediate needs of Iraqis who have fled violence and persecution."

Dobriansky said the United States is also working to develop special provisions for resettlement of thousands of Iraqis who work for the United States in Iraq and are still there, but face increased threat because of their cooperation with the coalition.

The 7,000 Iraqis would be included as part of 70,000 refugees worldwide permitted under U.S. law to resettle in the United States each year.

U.S. Assistant Secretary for Population, Refugees, and Migration Ellen Sauerbrey said that Iraqis referred to the United States from UNHCR and other countries for possible resettlement in the United States would go through rigorous security checks and health screening before being allowed to migrate.

The United States has been criticized for accepting only a small number of refugees since the U.S.-led invasion in 2003. Sauerbrey said that it wasn't until the February 2006 bombing of the Shiite mosque in Samarra that the sectarian violence began to reach a level that prompted large numbers of refugees to flee Iraq, and until then the need for resettlement was rather small.

The majority of Iraqi refugees have fled into Syria and Jordan.

Guterres, who attended the briefing for reporters, said that while resettling refugees is very important, providing aid to neighboring countries so that refugees living there temporarily can live dignified lives is also critical. He said Arab countries are hosting refugees because of their traditional culture of hospitality, but those countries need additional capacity to help refugees over the long term.

While he said resettlement could mean "life or death" for some Iraqis, it will never fully address the problem. He stressed a political solution is needed so that refugees will be able to go home.

Last week, Rice authorized the U.S. Embassy in Syria to talk to to the Syrian government about the flow of Iraqi refugees, but made clear it was not the start of a broader conversation on Iraq.

Dobriansky said the United States has been in contact with several countries in the region, including Syria, about the refugee situation in those nations.

When asked if the U.S. commitment is enough, Guterres said, "The dimension of the problem is so huge that nothing is anytime enough, but I think it's a very good start."

He said the United Nations will hold a donors conference in coming months to raise money to help Iraqi refugees and those internally displaced. He said Iran, which is currently hosting about 50,000 Iraqi refugees, will take part.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/14/us.iraq.refugees/index.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: U.S. to allow 7,000 Iraqi refugees
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 07:45:32 PM »
we have homeless people here.  we have new orleans wrecked still.  we have 45 mil with no health coverage.

and we have room for 7,000 people that don't speak the language, have any money or skills.

Yeah, great move.  Way to put their interests ahead of those of say, f'king AMERICANS.

Damn, this nation-building bullshit is getting old.  Can't fix their country so you bring them here to wreck the place.  Suppose a few of those 7000 are insurgents who forgot to check the "I plan on blowing shit up" box.  Let's just import the jihadists.

what a stupid idea.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
  • Different Dunes, Same Sand
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 07:47:03 PM »
we have homeless people here.  we have new orleans wrecked still.  we have 45 mil with no health coverage.

and we have room for 7,000 people that don't speak the language, have any money or skills.

Hmm.  The Gov't will have to be very careful they're not importing hatred.
Thread Killer

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 07:48:29 PM »

read what i added.  I'm more worried about bringing real terrorists into the nation.  this is a HORRIBLE idea.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 07:50:20 PM »
read what i added.  I'm more worried about bringing real terrorists into the nation.  this is a HORRIBLE idea.

I'm sure they'll be as vigilent as possible, but these 7,000 people will be under intense scrutiny, and rightly so.  If it works, kudos to the administration, if it goes wrong - they'll be hung out to dry.
Thread Killer

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 07:50:56 PM »

True.  Quite the humanitarian thing to do though.  I like it.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 07:58:46 PM »
I'm sure they'll be as vigilent as possible, but these 7,000 people will be under intense scrutiny, and rightly so.  If it works, kudos to the administration, if it goes wrong - they'll be hung out to dry.

You gotta be joking.

How good is the average parole officer, at keeping people from re-offending?

This is a HORRIBLE idea.  We cannot identify or keep track of terrorists over there, and we have a police state.  Wait til these folks get here and disappear into our open society. 

Bullshit to humanitarian cause - we can give them money and drop them anywhere else.  Or, we can do the job we say we're doing, and fix iraq.

Horrible, horrible idea.  If even one of those fuckers is a bombmaker, geez... would you guys be willing to bet your life on the fact that all 7000 are "checked out"?  Cause if we're flying them in and setting them free, that's essentially what we're doing.  And HOW are they "checked out"?  The name they give to the immigration guy has no flags?  Gee, I hope none of them lie.  Also, we don't know who is a terrorists by night and laborer by day.

This is terrible.  I cannot fathom why they would do this.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 07:59:19 PM »
True.  Quite the humanitarian thing to do though.  I like it.  

Yep.  Amazing America is still characterised as The Great Satan when they engage in such humanitarian causes.
Thread Killer

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 08:00:42 PM »
Yep.  Amazing America is still characterised as The Great Satan when they engage in such humanitarian causes.

There are "Americans" among us, and a Canadian or two, who believe we are The Great Satan.   :-\ 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 08:01:39 PM »
Am I dreaming here?

Can someone PLEASE chime in with some common sense?

Our soldiers on the street cannot tell the good guys from the bad guys.  And we're going to set them loose here, unsupervised.  What a shit idea.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 08:10:09 PM »
There are "Americans" among us, and a Canadian or two, who believe we are The Great Satan.   :-\ 

Are you retarded?

In a nation we cannot control, full of people we don't know, we're going to pick 7000 and set them loose on US soil?

Um, in the middle of WWII, did we drop thousands of germans and japanese people into our streets to make friends and make new lives?  HELL NO!

Okay beach Bum, would you want 7,000 Iraqis moving into your hometown, yes or no?

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 08:10:54 PM »
You gotta be joking.

How good is the average parole officer, at keeping people from re-offending?

This is a HORRIBLE idea.  We cannot identify or keep track of terrorists over there, and we have a police state.  Wait til these folks get here and disappear into our open society. 

Bullshit to humanitarian cause - we can give them money and drop them anywhere else.  Or, we can do the job we say we're doing, and fix iraq.

Horrible, horrible idea.  If even one of those fuckers is a bombmaker, geez... would you guys be willing to bet your life on the fact that all 7000 are "checked out"?  Cause if we're flying them in and setting them free, that's essentially what we're doing.  And HOW are they "checked out"?  The name they give to the immigration guy has no flags?  Gee, I hope none of them lie.  Also, we don't know who is a terrorists by night and laborer by day.

This is terrible.  I cannot fathom why they would do this.

Except these people (I assume), are not criminals.
Thread Killer

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 08:12:29 PM »

Are you retarded?

In a nation we cannot control, full of people we don't know, we're going to pick 7000 and set them loose on US soil?

Um, in the middle of WWII, did we drop thousands of germans and japanese people into our streets to make friends and make new lives?  HELL NO!

Okay beach Bum, would you want 7,000 Iraqis moving into your hometown, yes or no?

I don't totally disagree with you, 240.  We do need to show the world we are fighting a war a little more seriously than we are.

America is still showing itself to be the compassionate superpower, however.
Thread Killer

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 08:12:58 PM »

Yeah, great move.  Way to put their interests ahead of those of say, f'king AMERICANS.

Damn, this nation-building bullshit is getting old.  Can't fix their country so you bring them here to wreck the place.  Suppose a few of those 7000 are insurgents who forgot to check the "I plan on blowing shit up" box.  Let's just import the jihadists.

what a stupid idea.
ditto that... they wouldn't be fleeing if we were not bombing the shit out them... this just gets stranger every day.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 08:13:32 PM »

Are you retarded?

They probably can't afford to live in my neighborhood.  Heck, I can barely afford to live in my neighborhood.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 08:14:53 PM »
I don't totally disagree with you, 240.  We do need to show the world we are fighting a war a little more seriously than we are.

America is still showing itself to be the compassionate superpower, however.

lol.  Some people just can't handle anything "good" that our country does.  Must suck to thrive on bad news.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 08:17:33 PM »
Except these people (I assume), are not criminals.

How can you know that?

Much of their records are destroyed, and how hard is it to use a fake ID/name?  And we know bribery takes place over there, as dorruption is very real.

We're essentially saying that we KNOW all 7000 are good folks with no bad intentions.  We are saying we KNOW none are insurgents, that none have grudges, that none are going to hurt the US when they come here with no money/education/skills.  

Question for everybody - yes or no - would you be okay with ALL 7,000 iraqi refugees to be placed in YOUR TOWN?  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 08:18:46 PM »
lol.  Some people just can't handle anything "good" that our country does.  Must suck to thrive on bad news.   

Good?  beach bum, let's say they put those 7,000 right next to your daughter's dorm at college.

Do you want to take the chance?  Or are you "okay" with it as long as it's nowhere near you?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 08:20:59 PM »
My point is that people are willing to blow themselves up over there to kill one US soldier or contractor.

Can you IMAGINE what they would do with free reign in the US? 

Can anyone really say they trust the background check process on those 7000 people?  It's naive.  If 1 in 7000 gets thru, can you imagine the horrible consequences?

I feel like I'm living in the twilight zone here tonight.  I can't believe people aren't outraged by the idea of dropping thousands of people from a nation we're at war with, into our nation.  Insane.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 08:23:18 PM »
How can you know that?

Much of their records are destroyed, and how hard is it to use a fake ID/name?  And we know bribery takes place over there, as dorruption is very real.

We're essentially saying that we KNOW all 7000 are good folks with no bad intentions.  We are saying we KNOW none are insurgents, that none have grudges, that none are going to hurt the US when they come here with no money/education/skills.  

Question for everybody - yes or no - would you be okay with ALL 7,000 iraqi refugees to be placed in YOUR TOWN?  

Calm down, try and give the government some sort of benefit of the doubt here.  I'd like to know more about these people and why they're being sent to the US.
Thread Killer

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2007, 08:25:25 PM »

Good?  beach bum, let's say they put those 7,000 right next to your daughter's dorm at college.

Do you want to take the chance?  Or are you "okay" with it as long as it's nowhere near you?

I don't know, yet, where my daughter will go to college and I'm not looking forward to paying college tuition  :'( (assuming she doesn't get a merit scholarship).  

You're asking unrealistic and paranoid questions.  I have no idea where these people will live, but they will be just like the thousands of immigrants who come to this country every year (like my parents).  They will in all likelihood not be massed together as a 7,000 person group in anyone's neighborhood.  This sound familiar:

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2007, 08:29:09 PM »
I don't know, yet, where my daughter will go to college and I'm not looking forward to paying college tuition  :'( (assuming she doesn't get a merit scholarship).  

You're asking unrealistic and paranoid questions.  I have no idea where these people will live, but they will be just like the thousands of immigrants who come to this country every year (like my parents).  They will in all likelihood not be massed together as a 7,000 person group in anyone's neighborhood.  This sound familiar:

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

that's what i thought.  you dodged it.

it's good enough for others, but you don't want them near YOUR kids.  You wouldn't want them on YOUR street. 

Point is, we're at war. There are other places on the earth where we could place them for the same cost.   it's pretty obvious from the mess there that we cannot identify the bad guys.  Delivering 7000 of them here, and hoping we were right on 7000 of 7000 being good guys - bad, bad ideas. 

I'm all for helping others.  But WE ARE AT WAR IN THIS COUNTRY.  you don't bring in civilians during war because the enemy will plant insurgents.  They're doing it already.

until you would let them live on your block, you have no room to endorse this policy.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2007, 08:33:51 PM »

it's good enough for others, but you don't want them near YOUR kids.  You wouldn't want them on YOUR street. 

Point is, we're at war. There are other places on the earth where we could place them for the same cost.   it's pretty obvious from the mess there that we cannot identify the bad guys.  Delivering 7000 of them here, and hoping we were right on 7000 of 7000 being good guys - bad, bad ideas. 

I'm all for helping others.  But WE ARE AT WAR IN THIS COUNTRY.  you don't bring in civilians during war because the enemy will plant insurgents.  They're doing it already.

until you would let them live on your block, you have no room to endorse this policy.

Yes, I guess you have to ask yourself:  If these individuals have the skills and desire to make it in a free country, why are we not relocating them within Iraq?  I'd like to think America is not stealing their best and brightest.

Importing fanatical Islamicists would be a huge error.
Thread Killer

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2007, 08:35:13 PM »

Dumb analogy 240.  I wouldn't want a prison in my neighborhood, but we build them.  I wouldn't want a waste dump in my neighborhood, but we need them.  I would probably buy a gun (and I hate guns) if a registered sex offender lived in my street.  So, the fact you don't want someone living on your block (which I never admitted) has nothing to do with whether you support a humanitarian act to allow them in the country.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2007, 08:38:12 PM »
Yes, I guess you have to ask yourself:  If these individuals have the skills and desire to make it in a free country, why are we not relocating them within Iraq?  I'd like to think America is not stealing their best and brightest.

Importing fanatical Islamicists would be a huge error.

If we can GUARANTEE they are good guys, I'm fine with it.  Polygraph em, whatever.

But if all it's gonna take is fake paperwork to get in, it's a horrible mistake.

In Iraq, we have no control.  We cannot tell the good guys from the insurgents.  And there is no way we will be able to GUARANTEE that every one of those 7000 folks is a good guy.

It's an unnecessary risk.