Author Topic: DISNEY’S SPECIAL DISTRICT TELLS RON DESANTIS TO COUGH UP $1 BILLION OR STFU  (Read 806 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
I realize that no one here has yet made a post about DeSantis's idiotic and flat footed move to punish Disney for exercising it's right of free speech.  In his zeal to punish Disney the idiot governor of Florida is going to have to find a way to offset the huge increase in property taxes that will result from this legislation along with buying out Disney billion dollars in municipal bonds

DISNEY’S SPECIAL DISTRICT TELLS RON DESANTIS TO COUGH UP $1 BILLION OR STFU

Last week, like the petty tyrant he is, Florida governor Ron DeSantis signed a bill dissolving Walt Disney World’s special district status, as retribution for the company’s decision to speak out against his bigoted “Don’t Say Gay” law. Set to go into effect next June, the move abolishes Disney’s self-governing jurisdiction, the Reedy Creek Improvement District, and no longer allows it to effectively run its own city in and around the theme park. That means the counties of Orange and Osceola would be required to pay for services like firefighting, which Disney currently covers, and would be on the hook for Reedy Creek’s roughly $1 billion in outstanding bond debt. In other words, DeSantis’s act of revenge would not only punish a private company for condemning his anti-LGBTQ+ law, it would likely punish Florida residents too, whose property taxes would go through the roof. Which is a pretty wild thing for a governor to do, particularly one from a party that talks a big game about “cutting taxes” and “free speech.” But all of this might be moot anyway, because Disney apparently knows Florida’s laws better than DeSantis and has said that actually, he can’t do jack unless he pays off Reedy Creek’s debts first, and until then, it’ll be business as usual in Mouse Town.

In a statement to its bondholders, reported by CNN, the Reedy Creek Improvement District pointed out that the 1967 state law establishing Disney’s special district states that Florida “will not in any way impair the rights or remedies of the holders…until all such bonds together with interest thereon, and all costs and expenses in connection with any act or proceeding by or on behalf of such holders, are fully met and discharged.” In other words, DeSantis’s attempt to dissolve the district is illegal unless he coughs up $1 billion first and because of that, Reedy Creek told bondholders, it’s not going anywhere.

“In light of the State of Florida’s pledge to the District's bondholders, Reedy Creek expects to explore its options while continuing its present operations, including levying and collecting its ad valorem taxes and collecting its utility revenues, paying debt service on its ad valorem tax bonds and utility revenue bonds, complying with its bond covenants and operating and maintaining its properties,” the district wrote in the statement.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/04/ron-desantis-disney-reedy-creek-debt

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
I realize that no one here has yet made a post about DeSantis's idiotic and flat footed move to punish Disney for exercising it's right of free speech.  In his zeal to punish Disney the idiot governor of Florida is going to have to find a way to offset the huge increase in property taxes that will result from this legislation along with buying out Disney billion dollars in municipal bonds

https://www.theblaze.com/news/disney-employees-speak-out-against-woke-activism?utm_source=theblaze-breaking&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20220429Trending-DisneyEmployees&utm_term=ACTIVE%20LIST%20-%20TheBlaze%20Breaking%20News

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit

Disney is down almost 40%. Disney’s job is to represent their shareholders. They’re not… not even close. You were saying?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Disney is down almost 40%. Disney’s job is to represent their shareholders. They’re not… not even close. You were saying?

I am saying that DeSantis is an idiot and he just fucked over the tax payers of Florida

I see you want to change the subject which is what you often do when you can't actually debate the topic at hand

Maybe you haven't noticed that the entire stock market has been selling off and Disney took a dump along with other streaming providers when Netflix announced their drop in subscribers

Did you happen to notice that Trumps SPAC was ~ $97 at the beginning of March and it's ~ $52 today

How much longer do you think Troth Senchal will be in "business" now that Musk owns (or will soon own) Twitter?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
I am saying that DeSantis is an idiot and he just fucked over the tax payers of Florida

I see you want to change the subject which is what you often do when you can't actually debate the topic at hand

Maybe you haven't noticed that the entire stock market has been selling off and Disney took a dump along with other streaming providers when Netflix announced their drop in subscribers

Did you happen to notice that Trumps SPAC was ~ $97 at the beginning of March and it's ~ $52 today

How much longer do you think Troth Senchal will be in "business" now that Musk owns (or will soon own) Twitter?

Doubt it. But since when do liberals care about anything that’s a tax hike? Now that the tables are turned they’re bitching.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus

I posted about a few days ago.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
I posted about a few days ago.

You didn't type in all upper case letters.

So we missed it. ;D

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Doubt it. But since when do liberals care about anything that’s a tax hike? Now that the tables are turned they’re bitching.

Since when do Politicians punish business for exercising free speech

DeSantis is on the record saying this is retaliation from Disney speaking out against his idiotic law

Disney is the largest private employer in the state and DeSantis is going to "punish" them by handing a billion+ bill to Florida tax payers

BTW - since you obviously approve of this move by DeSantis I assume you would also approve if Governors in blue states found ways to punish business if they oppose Democratic legislation

BTW - don't you want to talk about how THE TRAITOR stock last 50% of it's value in the last 60 days?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
You didn't type in all upper case letters.

So we missed it. ;D

Neither did I

I guess the people at Vanity Fair thought the title of  their article required all caps

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan

What does it matter to you? Do you live in Florida? Do you pay taxes in Florida? Do you own stock in Disney? How does this impact your life?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
What does it matter to you? Do you live in Florida? Do you pay taxes in Florida? Do you own stock in Disney? How does this impact your life?

Point well made. Contrary to the foolishness Straw's spouting (especially via Larry O'Dummy) we Floridians aren't going to be on the hook for JACK as far as Disney is concerned. That is little more than lib desperation propaganda, in an effort to stem off what may likely be a beating for them in November.

The Parental Rights Bill is popular with Floridians, across the board, even Democrats (according to certain polling, at least). Once people actually find out what the bill....excuse me.....LAW actually says, and not what knuckleheaded liberal actors, pundits, or other oxygen-deprived sheep claim it says, they're actually cool with it.

The left needs some issue around which to rally, in an effort to stem the midterm bleeding that they fear is coming. Well, they'd better find another one. Trying to use Disney to push their screwball alphabet soup agenda on elementary kids is an utter DISASTER in the Sunshine State.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Not to mention, Orange County Mayor, Jerry Demings, is ALREADY trying to jack up taxes here. Among other things, he wants us to bankroll this worthless SunRail train that's been bleeding cash to take a handful of people around central Florida.

And he's been pushing this long before this dustup with Disney ever took place. So, this notion that the Dems are going to point their finger at DeSantis about raising taxes here in Orange County is ludicrous.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Not to mention, Orange County Mayor, Jerry Demings, is ALREADY trying to jack up taxes here. Among other things, he wants us to bankroll this worthless SunRail train that's been bleeding cash to take a handful of people around central Florida.

And he's been pushing this long before this dustup with Disney ever took place. So, this notion that the Dems are going to point their finger at DeSantis about raising taxes here in Orange County is ludicrous.
Liberals are a special breed, the window licking kind of special.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!