Author Topic: drop in duck dynasty viewers  (Read 2860 times)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
drop in duck dynasty viewers
« on: January 16, 2014, 06:44:32 PM »
Did Phil's anti-gay slurs hurt Duck Dynasty's ratings? Hit A&E show sees 28 per cent DROP in viewers for Season 5 premier

Wednesday night's Season 5 premiere of the A&E reality TV show attracted just 8.5 million viewers - a 28% drop compared to last season's opener

The shock data snaps a streak of ratings records and represents the show's first ever season-to-season fall in numbers

Among adults aged 18-49, the drop was 33 per cent, with just 4.2 million viewers tuning in to catch the redneck millionaires shoot ducks

The back-to-back episodes were Robertson's first appearance since he labeled homosexuality a sin and offended African-Americans in GQ

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2540880/Duck-Dynasty-Did-Phils-anti-gay-slurs-hurt-Duck-Dynastys-ratings-Hit-A-E-sees-28-cent-DROP-viewers-Season-5-premiere.html

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: drop in duck dynasty viewers
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 07:48:15 PM »
I think they lost some of their viewers to this other educational show  :D :D :D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 08:00:05 PM »
reality TV is really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really STUPID.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 11:16:28 PM »
Yet still the highest rated on TV. Nothing lasts forever Jr. And with any luck Obama will "leave" office before his term is up.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 04:23:29 AM »
Yet still the highest rated on TV. Nothing lasts forever Jr. And with any luck Obama will "leave" office before his term is up.

says a lot for the u.s.   :D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 06:08:58 AM »
It does seem to be a pretty huge dropoff overnight.

Seeing 28% of viewers disappear for a season premiere after such incredible coverage... I expected to see a 28% JUMP if anything... even the people that hate the politics of it might watch just to try to be offended.  Kinda like how a big chunk of Bill OReilly's audience hates him, but they watch anyway just to have their blood boil.

Losing such a huge chunk of the audience right after the comments is definintely a bad thing.   I didn't follow this controversy one bit - I think people should be able to date who they want, marry who they want, and SAY what they want... this was just a manufactured Christmas slow-news-week controversy.

I'm pretty shocked there was such a dropoff.  Sounds like a lot of backlash.  Normal decline in ratings is one thing... Losing over a quarter of audience immediately after comments that made worldwide news... yikes.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 06:18:49 AM »

You actually hope he does huh?  You really think that he is going to?  Is that what gives you comfort at night and helps you sleep?

You really are stupid.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 09:53:47 AM »
It does seem to be a pretty huge dropoff overnight.

Seeing 28% of viewers disappear for a season premiere after such incredible coverage... I expected to see a 28% JUMP if anything... even the people that hate the politics of it might watch just to try to be offended.  Kinda like how a big chunk of Bill OReilly's audience hates him, but they watch anyway just to have their blood boil.

Losing such a huge chunk of the audience right after the comments is definintely a bad thing.   I didn't follow this controversy one bit - I think people should be able to date who they want, marry who they want, and SAY what they want... this was just a manufactured Christmas slow-news-week controversy.

I'm pretty shocked there was such a dropoff.  Sounds like a lot of backlash.  Normal decline in ratings is one thing... Losing over a quarter of audience immediately after comments that made worldwide news... yikes.

The numbers are up from the October finale. Sounds like there was no backlash at all.

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 09:55:54 AM »
I never found the show all that interesting.

I'm not sure why they term it "reality" Tv when the show is pure script.

These guys are nothing like they guys they portray. It's sort of embarrassing.  :(

If this is what our society finds "entertaining" than we are in dire need of another plague to start over.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 10:02:45 AM »
The numbers are up from the October finale. Sounds like there was no backlash at all.

Agree. 

I also wonder how it compares to other shows in the same time slot. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 10:56:07 AM »
Ratings: ‘Duck Dynasty’ Returns
Down From Summer, On Par With Last Year

JANUARY 16, 2014
It ranks as No. 2 program of night in young adults — behind only Fox's 'American Idol'
Rick Kissell
@ratesrick

More than 8.5 million heard the “Duck Dynasty” call Wednesday, as the A&E juggernaut returned to strong but far from record-breaking ratings — less than a month after a firestorm of controversy engulfed the show.

This number is about the same as its recent Christmas special as well as its 2013 bow last February, but well below its record-setting fourth-season opener of last August.

On a night that included original series episodes on every broadcast network — including the season premiere of Fox’s “American Idol” — “Duck Dynasty” ranked as the evening’s No. 2 program among adults 18-49. Its 4.2 million viewers in the demo (a 3.3 rating) put it behind only “Idol” (4.6) and slightly ahead of ABC’s “Modern Family” (3.2)

The fifth-season premiere was taped before family patriarch Phil Robertson was quoted in GQ magazine equating homosexuality to bestiality, among other comments. His incendiary remarks surfaced Dec. 18, and A+E Networks quickly put Robertson on “indefinite” suspension.

The Robertson clan responded a day later by saying they would not continue filming the show without Phil, and social media and cable news pundits spent much of Christmas week discussing the controversy. On Dec. 27, A+E said Robertson would be back when filming of “Duck Dynasty” resumes in the spring, and promised to run a public-service campaign to preach tolerance.

One week before the Phil Robertson comments were released by GQ, on Dec. 11, “Duck Dynasty” warmed up for its fifth season Wednesday night by drawing a big 8.9 million viewers for the show’s holiday episode — up vs. a similar special one year earlier by 21% in the demo and 37% in overall audience.

Duck Dynasty” exploded when it kicked off its fourth season last August, with its 11.8 million total viewers the largest audience for a nonfiction series telecast in cable history. The show about a Louisiana family also set an A&E record as the biggest telecast in the network’s history in all key demos.

It went on to average 9.15 million same-night viewers for its summer episodes.

For calendar year 2013, “Duck Dynasty” was among the biggest programs on all of television in key younger demos. When including full-week DVR playback, its original episodes averaged a 6.0 rating in adults 18-49 (7.6 million in this age group) — fourth among all primetime series, behind only “The Walking Dead,” “Sunday Night Football,” “The Big Bang Theory” and tied with “Modern Family.”

And among persons 12-34, “Duck Dynasty’s” average of 3.1 million viewers ranked third, trailing “Walking Dead” and “Sunday Night Football.”

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/controversy-gooses-duck-dynasty-to-big-ratings-wednesday-1201060822/

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 11:03:02 AM »
You actually hope he does huh?  You really think that he is going to?  Is that what gives you comfort at night and helps you sleep?

You really are stupid.

Hey, I can only hope. He's even less qualified than you and you're dumb as dirt.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 12:16:09 PM »
Hey, I can only hope. He's even less qualified than you and you're dumb as dirt.

Where do you rank yourself on the Dumb Chart then?  Oh wait... at "Birther" level.  Good job.

When you are dead, you don't know it.  Everyone else knows it and has to deal with it.  It's the same thing when you are stupid. 

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 03:08:13 AM »

Spoken like the true intellectual giant that you are... ::)

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 09:09:15 AM »
Did Phil's anti-gay slurs hurt Duck Dynasty's ratings?

Seriously, how many gay people does anyone think watched this show in the first place?

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 09:15:58 AM »

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 07:39:02 AM »
The US market is flooded with Duck Dynasty now.....the novelty is wearing off and audiences are fickle in general.