Author Topic: Bitcoins - about to hit $5,000 per coin today!  (Read 753498 times)

a_pupil

• Getbig V
Re: Bitcoins - about to hit $5,000 per coin today!
« Reply #6450 on: May 11, 2021, 04:50:34 AM »
Looks like we're in meme coin season. Now everyone is talking about Shiba coin. The amount of volume traded in 24 hrs was over 24 billion. The world is a gong show

Every body wants to 10x their money getting in early on shit coins because they missed out on the right time to get into the big coins.

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #6451 on: May 11, 2021, 04:51:11 AM »
Over $1.74 billion worth of cryptocurrencies were ‘liquidated’ yesterday as the market saw a deep pullback, data from multiple sources shows

Gib's playing games.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #6452 on: May 11, 2021, 05:17:02 AM »

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #6453 on: May 11, 2021, 05:51:27 AM »
Blockchain stocks getting raped. That game was a pump and dump.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #6454 on: May 11, 2021, 06:03:47 AM »

Still outperformed the stock market and its a reflection of the current price of BTC. If BTC recovers those numbers will go back up.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #6455 on: May 11, 2021, 06:06:50 AM »
ETH still has the reins for now.

Despite my first price and date being correct my future price model will unfortunately be wrong.

How so? And what is it changed to?

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #6456 on: May 11, 2021, 06:09:47 AM »

Pumped and dumped...YES

Getting raped....NO. Most are sitting higher higher than they were a week ago

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #6457 on: May 11, 2021, 06:10:59 AM »
ETH still has the reins for now.

Despite my first price and date being correct my future price model will unfortunately be wrong.

As I  told you at the time. It was too optimistic.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #6458 on: May 11, 2021, 06:20:35 AM »
Pumped and dumped...YES

Getting raped....NO. Most are sitting higher higher than they were a week ago

Give it time. It’ll be back to 5.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #6459 on: May 11, 2021, 06:32:48 AM »
Wall Street Uses Old Tricks in $2.4 Trillion Crypto Jungle

Wall Street traders like Trey Griggs are finding a new lease on life in the $2.4 trillion crypto Wild West.

After two decades in energy trading, the 51-year-old was lured by a former Goldman Sachs Group Inc. colleague this February into a new world of market-making in digital currencies.

Now he’s in fighting spirits -- unleashing old-school finance tricks to exploit the industry’s rampant inefficiencies, volatility and downright weirdness.

“All the fun that used to be had 30 years ago in the commodity markets and is no longer fun -- that fun is now in crypto,” says the U.S. chief executive officer at GSR Markets in Houston.

Griggs is among crypto newcomers deploying systematic strategies that are tried-and-tested in conventional asset classes -- price arbitrage, futures trading, options writing -- in a booming new corner of finance. As more mainstream investors get behind Bitcoin, boutique firms are joining the likes of Mike Novogratz in an ever-broadening crypto rally that keeps breaking records.

For those who can stomach the price swings, the threat of exchange hacks and the byzantine market structure, complex fast-money trades are offering an alternative way to ride the digital mania.

At GSR, the firm’s bread and butter is market-making, where traders pocket the spread between buy and sell orders.

In stocks, that’s a nearly oligarchic business where the likes of Citadel Securities and Virtu Financial operate at lightning speed. In virtual currencies, where hundreds of exchanges offer free access at a slower pace, GSR can capitalize on the big volumes without splurging millions on high-frequency infrastructure.

“Part of the tech we have is just to tell us did we actually trade or not, is this trade good or bad,” says GSR co-founder and former Goldman trader Richard Rosenblum. “We don’t want to be slower than our competitors, but it’s just not quite as much of the driver.”

For every strategy in stocks, bonds or currencies rendered boring by low rates, regulation or market crowding, there’s a lucrative trade in a token lying across the hundreds of exchanges out there. Or so the thinking goes.

While crypto die-hards have made merry like this for years, the relentless rallies across the tokensphere this year are drawing more Wall Street converts seeking riches and new thrills.

Take Mark Treinkman. After a career mostly at proprietary stock-trading shops like Chimera Securities, digital money is renewing his passion for quant trading.

“I’ve been going through some of my old strategies and things that wouldn’t have worked in equities in decades have an edge in crypto still,” he says.

A market-neutral strategy run by his $60 million firm BKCoin Capital gained 71% last year using investing styles that often include arbitraging different prices across exchanges and the gap between the spot and futures market.

For a few minutes during trading on Wednesday, for example, the price of Ethereum Classic jumped well above $100 on the Coinbase exchange. The digital token was trading at less than $80 at other venues, offering an obvious opportunity for investors to make money simply by buying in one place and selling in another.

It’s one of the best-known -- albeit diminishing -- discrepancies exploited by the likes of Alameda Research, a crypto trading firm filled with former traders from high-frequency shops. A famous example is the kimchi premium, the tendency for Bitcoin to trade higher in South Korea thanks to strong demand and the difficulty of moving money around to profit from the gap.

With no one-stop prime broker to centralize trading books and offer clients leverage across venues, traders like Treinkman face plenty of challenges in their bid to arbitrage price gaps, but say the rewards are commensurate.

And the opportunities pop up everywhere. For instance, when longer-dated futures in pretty much any asset class trade higher than the spot price -- known as contango -- the former almost always converges to the latter as the contracts mature.

That’s popularized the crypto basis trade, where an investor goes long the spot rate and shorts the futures.

When Bitcoin last peaked in mid-April, the December contracts were nearly 4% higher than August which were in turn about 2% higher than the spot reference rate, as speculators unleashed bets on rising prices. By contrast, the December oil contracts were trading beneath August’s on the same day, according to the data compiled by Bloomberg.

“The crypto market is still dominated by retail investors who use excessive leverage and bid the premiums for futures,” said Nikita Fadeev, a fund manager at $60 million crypto unit at quant firm Fasanara Capital.

Trades common in the industry also include short-term momentum and a form of statistical arbitrage, which bets on gaps between various tokens eventually closing like when Ethereum is surging but Bitcoin isn’t, Fadeev says.

As assets grew, the fund recently appointed Laurent Marquis, the former co-head of derivatives at Citadel Securities, as chief risk officer, and Steve Mobbs, co-founder of quant fund Oxford Asset Management, as senior adviser.

Over in Zug, Switzerland, St. Gotthard Fund Management has transformed from an old-school family office writing options on Swiss shares to a digital evangelist in its income strategy aiming to yield 8% a year. Just like in stocks, the investing style sells derivatives to take advantage of big demand to hedge price swings -- which causes the volatility priced into options to be higher than what’s likely to come to pass.

For option writers like St. Gotthard, that means the premiums are much juicier, though they also come with a higher risk of having to actually pay out, like an insurer during an earthquake.

“The major difference at the end of the day is how much premium retail investors are willing to pay,” says chief investment officer Daniel Egger. “On the other hand of course we’ve written calls we wished we hadn’t in those moves up.”

In fact, going long crypto over the past year has proved the easiest and most profitable way to tap into the boom. And for those choosing the systematic route, competition is rising.

For example, in order to get an edge in its market-making strategy, BKCoin has recently installed servers at Asian crypto exchanges, a move known as co-location in the high-frequency world of stocks. It’s a sign the industry is growing up fast.

“In any emerging market we’ve seen these inefficiencies decrease over time,” said George Zarya, founder of Bequant, a crypto prime brokerage that caters to systematic traders. “There are more professional players that come in.”

(Updates first chart and market value in first paragraph. An earlier version corrected the seventh paragraph under the second chart to show Fasanara does not engage in momentum and stat-arb trades but says they are common in industry.)

For more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.com

Subscribe now to stay ahead with the most trusted business news source.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #6460 on: May 11, 2021, 08:16:28 AM »
Ain't spending three days reading this thread, so.... apologies if this has been asked before...

Which do you prefer to buy the crypto with?  Robinhood or Coinbase?  Why?

It seems (or at least the few times I read online news) that Robinhood tends to crash and go down in peak trading sprees, like when a coin is trending upward superfast.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #6461 on: May 11, 2021, 08:38:51 AM »
Ain't spending three days reading this thread, so.... apologies if this has been asked before...

It seems (or at least the few times I read online news) that Robinhood tends to crash and go down in peak trading sprees, like when a coin is trending upward superfast.

they both suck

Use Binance or Huobi and then get a hard wallet

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #6462 on: May 11, 2021, 08:44:45 AM »
x2 for Binance. If you're struggling to navigate it use Binance lite.

Coinbase is slightly better than RH too

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #6463 on: May 11, 2021, 08:50:44 AM »
The new market player ICP (Internet Computer) just took 2% of the market within 24 hours of launch.

Possibly a reason for the dump in other coins yesterday. Also some people are linking the dump to that hacked pipeline issue.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6464 on: May 11, 2021, 02:00:43 PM »
Still outperformed the stock market and its a reflection of the current price of BTC. If BTC recovers those numbers will go back up.
I hope you are correct because I am getting killed in it.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #6465 on: May 11, 2021, 02:24:47 PM »

It all depends on your entry point. That it outperformed the stock market has no value to someone if they got in late.

Here’s a tip that you won’t hear on CNBC. Professional traders take really tight stops. Either the trade works immediately or they’re out. They take small losses but never big ones.

Funny how these business networks are on 12 hours a day or more yet you’ll never hear an interview with a professional trader about the nuts and bolts of trading. It’s always just their opinion of the market.

Fake news.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #6466 on: May 11, 2021, 03:02:15 PM »

I like Binance.US. The exchange sits within the USA. It has incredibly low fees and its new CEO is Brian Brooks, the former Coinbase executive who helmed the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) under President Donald Trump.

I also have no qualms letting my crypto sit on their exchange versus a wallet. Some people claim the "not your keys, not your crypto" adage, but I have no problem keeping my crypto on Binance.US. The foreign Binance and this exchange (Binance.US) are two separate companies with different teams, so I'm not too concerned.

My only major qualm with Binance.US is that it does have a limited supply of coins to purchase. Granted, you will find all the popular ones there like BTC, ETH, LTC, BNB etc.

"1"

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6467 on: May 11, 2021, 04:27:05 PM »
I like Binance.US. The exchange sits within the USA. It has incredibly low fees and its new CEO is Brian Brooks, the former Coinbase executive who helmed the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) under President Donald Trump.

I also have no qualms letting my crypto sit on their exchange versus a wallet. Some people claim the "not your keys, not your crypto" adage, but I have no problem keeping my crypto on Binance.US. The foreign Binance and this exchange (Binance.US) are two separate companies with different teams, so I'm not too concerned.

My only major qualm with Binance.US is that it does have a limited supply of coins to purchase. Granted, you will find all the popular ones there like BTC, ETH, LTC, BNB etc.

"1"

Binance also took awhile to verify.

Was easy after that.
Y

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #6468 on: May 11, 2021, 04:28:31 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/do-you-want-tesla-to-accept-doge-musk-asks-twitter-users/ar-BB1gB6hh?ocid=BingNewsSearch

Billionaire Elon Musk and cryptocurrency aficionado on Tuesday asked https://bit.ly/33xrDHR his 54 million followers on Twitter "Do you want Tesla to accept Doge?," referring to a digital currency worth roughly 48 cents with no real-world use.

The question, in the form of a Twitter poll, comes days after he called dogecoin a "hustle," sending the meme-inspired cryptocurrency's price reeling after a 700% rally in a month.

A proponent of digital currencies, the Tesla Inc chief executive made the comment as a guest host on the "Saturday Night Live" TV show this past weekend.

Musk is one of the world's richest people and owner of several futuristic companies, including SpaceX and Neuralink. He has used his candid Twitter feed to give his opinion on cryptocurrencies, including bitcoin, most times affecting their price.

In March, Musk said U.S. customers could purchase Tesla vehicles with bitcoin, marking a significant step forward for the cryptocurrency's use in commerce. The electric-car maker had bought $1.5 billion worth of bitcoin earlier this year, propelling its prices to record highs.

Based on current prices, one would need nearly 80,000 dogecoins or 0.7 bitcoin to buy the cheapest Tesla Model 3 car.

Dogecoin was last up 9% at $0.507, according to data tracker CoinGecko.com.

Musk's poll on dogecoin received over 3.3 million responses in the 12 hours since he posted it, with nearly 80% of the respondents voting to ratify the new payment method.

It comes just days after Musk said that SpaceX would accept dogecoin as payment to launch a lunar mission next year.

The limited supply of bitcoin helps drive its value as the digital currency gradually gains acceptance for commercial transactions. Whereas dogecoin, which began as a social media joke in 2013 with a shiba inu dog as its avatar, has an unlimited supply and remains seldom used to make payments for goods.

Dogecoin jumped more than 700% over the last month and is now the fourth-largest digital currency. It hit a record high Thursday above 73 cents.

The billionaire' s tweets have drawn SEC scrutiny in the past, but his recent remarks about cryptocurrencies have not landed in him in any regulatory troubles so far.

Shares of Tesla were down 1.3% at $621 a share in late trading on the Nasdaq after Reuters reported the U.S. electric car maker had halted plans to buy land to expand its Shanghai plant.

(Reporting by Bhargav Acharya and Subrat Patnaik in Bengaluru, Additonal reporting by Sruthi Shankar; Editing by Bernard Orr, Saumyadeb Chakrabarty and Jonathan Oatis)

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #6469 on: May 11, 2021, 04:31:37 PM »

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6470 on: May 11, 2021, 04:40:42 PM »
That timeline looks pretty optimistic to me. What are you using to predict those numbers?

Historically Eth (and Bitcoin) is pretty quiet in June and the summer months. I've got it going like this

31st May around 5K
June-July-Aug slow gains, moves sides, possible dips 3.5k to 6k
Sept 5k to 7k
Oct 6k to 9k
Nov 8k to 15k
Dec 10k to 20k

The only reason I can think of for Eth hitting 19.5K in June is if the market decides the Eth to BTC price needs to tightening up to 2018 levels.

As I  told you at the time. It was too optimistic.

To clarify again, i am saying this is the end of the bullrun. Therefore it requires a parabolic trend in price which is exactly what my model shows.

My price target requirements are ETH (20k June) and BTC (200k July) and it is a structurally sound plan.

My first objective is achieved --> 4.2k by 10th May. I am 1 for 1.
My second objective is now in play --> 20th May 6k

Your first objective is still in play --> 31st May 5k you are still hunting for your first.....

Everyone was calling for a week long pullback to 2k-3k yet here we are 24hrs later at 4.2k like it never happened.

What happens next is the make or break for my model --> I have BTC going to 74k inside the next 7 days (ideally 5 days) which would be the strongest movement signal in over 3 months. My belief is BTC looks cheap vs ETH which will trigger a feedback loop as BTC chases ETH which in turn causes ETH to rally.

I just don't see any outcome where BTC does not react to what ETH is doing.

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6471 on: May 11, 2021, 04:59:47 PM »

God i hate this guy.

I hope everyone realises his tweets are a sell signal for his mates because he creates a buy wall for them to offload. They buy back on the dips and rinse/repeat.

Elon knows right from wrong. Even if one uses logic rather than morality, you still conclude what he is doing is wrong because you acknowledge 97% will get burned and they are the 'little people'. Therefore, in this structure you are aware only the 3% super rich will get super rich and that the claim you make which is 'a coin for the people' you know to be outright false. It logically fails on all fronts therefore becomes a psychopathic motive where you don't care about anyone or anything, you just want to make it happen.

He is frontrunning the SEC. Once he deems it an acceptable method of payment, they won't be able to do jack to it.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #6472 on: May 11, 2021, 05:14:31 PM »

God i hate this guy.

I hope everyone realises his tweets are a sell signal for his mates because he creates a buy wall for them to offload. They buy back on the dips and rinse/repeat.

Elon knows right from wrong. Even if one uses logic rather than morality, you still conclude what he is doing is wrong because you acknowledge 97% will get burned and they are the 'little people'. Therefore, in this structure you are aware only the 3% super rich will get super rich and that the claim you make which is 'a coin for the people' you know to be outright false. It logically fails on all fronts therefore becomes a psychopathic motive where you don't care about anyone or anything, you just want to make it happen.

He is frontrunning the SEC. Once he deems it an acceptable method of payment, they won't be able to do jack to it.

Thank you , thank you, thank you!

When this is over, I swear,  I will buy you a long distance beer brother. Just for this post here.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #6473 on: May 11, 2021, 05:20:31 PM »

I hope Im right as well. Im still in my BTC long since yesterday night. You wann talk about stress? Try trading at 10x leverage with a substantial amount of money.  I think  I average 3-4 hours of sleep a night when Im trading and it can last days  ;D .

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6474 on: May 11, 2021, 05:27:00 PM »
Thank you , thank you, thank you!

When this is over, I swear,  I will buy you a long distance beer brother. Just for this post here.

LOL

I’ll happily drink it  :D

I hope Im right as well. Im still in my BTC long since yesterday night. You wann talk about stress? Try trading at 10x leverage with a substantial amount of money.  I think  I average 3-4 hours of sleep a night when Im trading and it can last days  ;D .

If it makes you feel better I am long BTC after closing my long ETH. But I am using 3x with a larger cash base instead of 10x so I can glide through the pullbacks.