Author Topic: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie  (Read 728001 times)

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
Re: Muscle Beach History - as seen by myself
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2013, 11:53:02 AM »
Wow - great pics  8)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2013, 12:01:33 PM »

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2013, 12:01:55 PM »
some pudgy pics
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2013, 12:05:14 PM »
 ;)
F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2013, 08:35:01 PM »
FUNK'S post #11889 (DOUBLE BICEP SHOT) is LOU DRGNI.

DEGNI made movies in the 60’s as MARK FORREST.

6 January 1933, Brooklyn, New York, USA

Birth Name - Lorenzo Luis Degni
Height - 6' (1.83 m)

Used the money he made making gladiator movies in Italy to study Opera. Currently teaches opera in the Los Angeles area.Competed for the 1952 Mr. America title and finished 27th at the age of 19. Third generation Italian American. Was the second American actor bodybuilder, after Steve Reeves, to be recruited by Italian producers to star in sword and sandal films. 
 (2004) Currently resides in southern California where he teaches singing and works as a personal trainer.
I don’t recall if his movies were ever released in the US.

Kindar the Invulnerable
The Magnificent Gladiator
 Hercules Against the Sons of the Sun 
The Lion of Thebes
 Hercules Against the Barbarians
 Maciste, gladiatore di Sparta
 Maciste contro i Mongoli
 Goliath and the Sins of Babylon
 Colossus of the Arena
 Mole Men Against the Son of Hercules
 Son of Samson
 Goliath and the Dragon

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2013, 08:48:41 PM »
;)
zabo in sunglasses ?killer abs,,

Anabol

• Getbig II
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2013, 09:39:22 PM »
Sound's like gay stories. r u gay ?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2013, 08:36:58 AM »
bumped for next installment.degni had great abs.
F

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2013, 09:33:14 AM »
Great stuff!  I have the book, "Remembering Muscle Beach" by Harold Zinkin (the man who invented/founded the "Universal Gym Equpment" company used by so many schools many years ago.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2013, 09:43:39 AM »

As Stunt so rightly pointed out, Sheri Lewis (not the beautiful puppeteer) wife of Reg Lewis was quite the beauty.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2013, 09:45:53 AM »
WOW....you are so right  ;D women then were great looking

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2013, 10:23:11 AM »
That apartment building behind ZABO is  still there..

Reg and Sheri were a great looking couple. I hope to be contacting  a good friend who remains in contact with a few of the remaining old Muscle Beach 'citizens;.

This computer is still not working well ..... the cursor gets stuck or jumps around the screen  ever 10 seconds ..... ss it takes a lot of time writing this up and sending it out, so there will be some dalays on posting stuff.

I want to tell one and all about the DUNGEON and also about POP (Pacific Ocean Park) due to the fact that they were also somewhat Muscle Beach related, but I want to find some old photos that will show you what both of those places looked like back then.

If anyone trained at the Dungeon or ever visited POP, feel free to speak up because I was only at either of them less than three or four times each and have forgotten a lot since them god old days.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2013, 10:27:18 AM »
hey stunt,,, maybe you can let us know how it was...

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2013, 10:42:22 AM »
Great stuff!  I have the book, "Remembering Muscle Beach" by Harold Zinkin (the man who invented/founded the "Universal Gym Equpment" company used by so many schools many years ago.
;)
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2013, 10:54:12 AM »
 :)
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2013, 10:57:51 AM »
 ;)
F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2013, 12:29:54 PM »
THANKS, FUNK! I think you pulled those old photos off Dave Draper's very fine web site.

I knew Dave way back then but have not remained in contact, but I did email him today after checking out his unreal web site to get some history regarding the DUNGEON.

I seem to have forgotten or have never known that the DUNGEON was established as a result of the closure of Muscle Beach.

The Dungeon was where all the old Muscle Beach gear was  stored and used as a very dark 'gym' way back then.

If I recall correctly it was located in the basement of an old hotel on 2nd Street just a few blocks east of the beach .... maybe a five minute walk.

All I can recall of the DUNGEON was that it was  down a flight of stairs and very dark, small and unorganized. When I was there it was empty but it was the prime location for serious lifters for a short wlhile after the closure of Sanrta Monica's Muscle Beach.

During this period I was mostly stationed outside of the States, but I did have the opportunity to meet Dave when he was apparently the only employee in what I believe was Weider's first west coast 'store' someplace around 5th street in Santa Monica ,,,, best described as 'across the street from Zucky's' which was the big Jewish delicatessan where most of the lifters had a meal or two.  (Now all closed and boarded up.)

I believe we discussed DON'T MAKE WAVES (in which he did a damn good job) and his upcoming appearance as HERCUlES introducing the sword and sandal movies on TV that were so popular back then.

That's around the time that the Batman and Robin TV series was also very  popular.

Arnold was not 'on location' quite yet but he would be soon and he'd be dining in Zucky's also.

Dave's web-site is one of the best BB sites I've seen for BB history and I suggest you take a look. Simply Google 'DAVE DRAPER'. A good bit of Dungeon history along with photos too.

DON HOWORTH ..... Back then he was well known for huge shouders.

Next up ..... POP ... a mile or so south of SM Muscle Beach.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2013, 12:34:49 PM »
THANKS, FUNK! I think you pulled those old photos off Dave Draper's very fine web site.

I knew Dave way back then but have not remained in contact, but I did email him today after checking out his unreal web site to get some history regarding the DUNGEON.

I seem to have forgotten or have never known that the DUNGEON was established as a result of the closure of Muscle Beach.

The Dungeon was where all the old Muscle Beach gear was  stored and used as a very dark 'gym' way back then.

If I recall correctly it was located in the basement of an old hotel on 2nd Street just a few blocks east of the beach .... maybe a five minute walk.

All I can recall of the DUNGEON was that it was  down a flight of stairs and very dark, small and unorganized. When I was there it was empty but it was the prime location for serious lifters for a short wlhile after the closure of Sanrta Monica's Muscle Beach.

During this period I was mostly stationed outside of the States, but I did have the opportunity to meet Dave when he was apparently the only employee in what I believe was Weider's first west coast 'store' someplace around 5th street in Santa Monica ,,,, best described as 'across the street from Zucky's' which was the big Jewish delicatessan where most of the lifters had a meal or two.  (Now all closed and boarded up.)

I believe we discussed DON'T MAKE WAVES (in which he did a damn good job) and his upcoming appearance as HERCUlES introducing the sword and sandal movies on TV that we so popular back then.

Arnold was not there quite yet but he would be soon and he'd be dining in Zucky's also.

Dave's web-site is one of the best BB sites I've seen for BB history and I suggest you take a look. Simply Google 'DAVE DRAPER'. A good bit of Dungeon history along with photos too.

DON HOWORTH ..... Back then he was well known for huge shouders.

Next up ..... POP ... a mile or so south of SM Muscle Beach.
excellent post

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2013, 01:41:23 PM »
Some of you GetBiggers will find the following to be boring but it is a part of the history of the Muscle Beach area …. Which in my mind includes the two (2) mile stretch of beach and beach front properties  from the Santa Monica Pier (a mere few yards north of the original Muscle Beach lifting area) and down south to  what is now called “Venice Muscle Beach”.

Half way between the original Santa Monica Beach area the present Venice Muscle Beach area there was a rather large pier and this pier is what this post is all about …..

I should add that I was an avid roller coaster fan as a kid and would beg, barrow , and sometimes steal a car or two and head on down the coast to ride every roller coaster I could find. You had to get off your ass and look for them because there was no such thing as the internet back then and gas was something like 30 cents a gallon so any kid could afford to drive a car back then if he was industrious enough.

Hell! We could drive a few hundred miles just by using the loose change we’d find under the back seat.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

Pacific Ocean Park was a twenty-eight acre, nautical-themed amusement park built on a pier at Pier Avenue in the Ocean Park section of Santa Monica roughly a mile south of the SM Pier which was intended to compete with Disneyland.

"And Disneyland and POP is worth a trip to L.A." is a line from the Beach Boys' song "Amusement Parks U.S.A." from their 1965 album Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!).

After it closed and fell into disrepair, the park and pier anchored the Dogtown area of Santa Monica.

Pacific Ocean Park  opened on Saturday, July 28, 1958 with an attendance of 20,000. The next day, the park drew 37,262 which outperformed Disneyland's attendance figure that day. Admission was ninety cents for adults which included access to the park and certain exhibits. The term "POP" was also used as a clever acronym for "Pay One Price", though some rides and attractions were on a pay-as-you-go basis.

Like Disneyland, Pacific Ocean Park found corporate sponsors to share the expense of some exhibits.

By January 5, 1959, Pacific Ocean Park had attracted 1,190,000 visitors.

In 1965, Santa Monica really began its Ocean Park urban renewal project. Buildings in the surrounding area were demolished and streets leading to the park were closed. As a result, visitors found it hard to reach the park and attendance plummeted to 621,000 in 1965 and 398,700 in 1966.
At the end of the 1967 tourist season, the park's creditors and the City of Santa Monica filed suit to take control of the property because of back taxes and back rent owed by the park's new owner since 1965. Pacific Ocean Park closed on October 6, 1967. The park's assets were auctioned off June 28 through June 30, 1968. The proceeds from the sale of thirty-six rides and sixteen games were used to pay off creditors. The ruins of the pier became a favorite surfing area and hangout of the Z-Boys of Dogtown fame. The park's dilapidated buildings and pier structure remained until several suspicious fires occurred and it was finally demolished in the winter of 1974-75.
Other than a few underwater pilings and signs warning of them, nothing remains of Pacific Ocean Park today. A few miles north, the original Santa Monica Pier features a newer amusement park, similarly called Pacific Park. Today, the rides and attractions of the Santa Monica Pier include the Carousel that is featured in the 1973 Academy Award -winning film,The Sting.

Thanks to WIKIPEDIA for most of the above.

Keith once told me that one or both of the Barbarian Brothers used some of the pier to build a home …. But that’s another thing I did not see with my own eyeballs and never did discuss it with either of the bros.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2013, 01:52:49 PM »
A bit more regarding POP....

Pacific Ocean Park was located on a pier overlooking the Pacific Ocean in Santa Monica, California. The park was purchased by CBS and the Hollywood Turf Club in 1958 who invested $16-million into making "POP" an elaborate theme park. Unfortunately, the park failed and closed ten years later.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2013, 01:53:14 PM »
Keep posting stunt...

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2013, 02:49:25 PM »
I’m gonna refer you GetBiggers to a website that I think contains the best and most accurate info regarding the history of the original Santa Monica Muscle Beach and its closure.

But first I’ll post some notes which were pulled from various websites throughout the net.

Muscle Beach (but  not yet called “Muscle Beach”  and simply referred to as  a new recreation and athletics center or city park and operated by the SM Recreation and Parks Dept.)  was established as a refurbishment project and funded by the National  Works Project Administration  in 1934 to help get people back to work after the Great Depression of 1939.

Gymnasts and other athletes made it a poplular setting for LA residents and world wide tourists

By the early 1940’s  weight-lifters would come to the beach bringing their own equipment to work out with.

So Santa Monica Beach Park became known as a place where gymnasts, stunt people,  wrestlers, acrobats and circus performers and weightlifters could all be seen on any given weekend.

And so it became known as  "Muscle Beach."

And for the rest of a very interesting story ….  

READ ALL ABOUT IT:
The Love/Hate Relationship which appears to still exisr today.
Why Muscle Beach was closed.
And other interesting stuff.

Go here …. http://www.musclebeach.net/smonica.html

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2013, 02:53:18 PM »
Never heard of the POP until this thread.
Here is a 3 minute film about it made in 1959. Looks like a great place but I would be scared to go in these wee cable car things.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie
« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2013, 03:11:35 PM »
It was great Al. The roller coaster was made of wood and built out over the ocean and ratteled a lot as a result of its unstability  (not attached to the stable ground).

So it was a great thrill ride back then.

Thanks for the Link. WIll take a look.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie
« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2013, 03:15:14 PM »
As GetBig Goes, So Goes the World  ~ A recent news article.

Sort of a “Those who train against those who don’t!”  news story.

Santa Monica residents complain about sea of fitness fanatics clogging up their parks

Physical fitness is a way of life on the beautiful beachfront oasis of Santa Monica. From sunrise to sunset, there's huffing and puffing in the city's parks as trainers put their students through the paces of every form of exercise imaginable.

All along the 420 acres of greenery paralleling the Pacific Ocean are groups of a dozen or more people furiously pumping iron, doing sit-ups, stepping on and off little benches and stretching on mats. Some flex their muscles with weight machines tied by big rubber bands to pretty much anything that's anchored to the ground.

'It's starting to look like a 24-Hour Fitness gym out there,' complained Johnny Gray, an assistant track coach at UCLA and former Olympic runner who says he's often forced to navigate around weight machines, barbells and other exercise impediments as he runs.

In recent years, fitness classes have become as ubiquitous in Santa Monica's signature Palisades Park as dog walkers and senior citizens playing shuffleboard.

'It's starting to look like a 24-Hour Fitness gym out there,' complained Johnny Gray, an assistant track coach at UCLA and former Olympic runner who says he's often forced to navigate around weight machines, barbells and other exercise impediments as he runs

Karen Ginsberg, the city's director of community and cultural services, said other park users are complaining about fitness enthusiasts not only blocking pedestrian walkways but also making too much noise, killing the park's grass with their weights and damaging its trees and benches with all the exercise gadgets they connect to them.

HISTORY REPEATING ITSELF????

KINDA.