Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 409438 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2015, 09:19:49 AM »
The mods over there do a great job keeping the riff raff under control.
No lifting today, chilling with the family.
yes Chaos your Talents around the Boards have been noted.. :D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2015, 03:07:18 PM »
hey Rich.. if you are feeling rough today get a bottle of this down your neck.. ;D

I doubt I can find that in a local liquor store in New Jersey here. Spent the day on the beach then came home to the pool. Only had Corana Mexican beer in the fridge so I made do. Great sunny day in New Jersey.

Beach Observations:

1.Foreigners love the Jersey shore. They have to learn some stuff about the beaches here. A Russian family parked them self right on top of us. I guess personal space isn't a concept they grasp. We picked up our chairs and towels moving 10 feet away.

2. What's with all the grandmas with tattoos?

3. Ocean was rough today with an rip tide. Body surfed in relatively shallow water.

4. I like thin in shape chicks but truth be told I love curvy thick chicks more. One was wearing a bikini with her big white ass hanging out of her little bottoms.  :P

3. So many out of shape guys. I would come in last place in any bodybuilding contest but I was the best built guy on the beach today.

4. There was an huge Asian family and I guess friends. Just guessing they don't get out to beach or maybe this was even the first time. Big waves you either go under or ride them out. They stood there and got whacked time and time again. My wife even told them  go under them. Very comical.

5. I don't know why guys pay to go to a go go bar to tip the dancers. Go to the Jersey shore and see girls wearing next to nothing for free.

6. Have to hit back and chest tomorrow. I know I will have a bit of a hangover. I will just push through it and get it done.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2015, 12:42:58 PM »
Trained back and chest today. No warm ups listed in the set count.

Pullups 2 x max
Seated Low cable row with V handle 2 x 12
Dumbbell row off bench 2 x 10
Hammer Strength pulldown 2 x 8

Flat dumbbell bench 2 x 6
Incline dumbbell bench 2 x 6
Hammer strength incline 2 x 8
Hammer decline 2 x 6
Flat dumbbell flies 2 x 8
Machine flies 2 x 10 ( decided to try these. Can't decide if I should use them over dumbbells.)

Power cleans 2 x 3 then 1 x 2 (Haven't done these in awhile. I did them in running shoes. Very bad stability using them.)
Semi stiff leg deadlift 2 x 6 ( Usually do these off a little platform at home. They don't have it so I did them by using a lot of 25lbs plates. )

Went home and did 2 sets of weighted hyper extensions. Bench at the gym really stinks.

GYM Observations:

1. Guy singing Bon Jovi obnoxiously loud.  Of course he's wearing ear buds. In between singing he talks out loud to himself like he's having a conversation. Makes the loudest grunts lifting weights.  

2. Saw two high school kids using 315 for benches. Really impressive. They couldn't have weighed 190lbs.

3.  Since it's Sunday the gym was really sparsely populated. Only two girls in the whole gym. One was doing deep perfect form squats with 145lbs. I have to give her props. The guys who are part of the half rep to 3/4 rep club in the gym could learn something from her.  Why does she have to turn around right in front of me and touch her toes stretching? She stayed bent over for about a half minute. What a perfect ass.

4. There's this guy who looks like Tarzan in the gym. Long flowing blonde hair. Good looking guy and gets a lot of looks from the women. He does the most unconventional workouts. It's a bodybuilding gym and he's always doing push ups, pull ups, dips and other things that you don't need a gym membership for. I can see he's a dedicated trainer but what is he doing in this bodybuilding gym when he could do that stuff at home or the park?  

5. Anyone else have a germ fear like me? Every handle you touched has been touched by hundreds in a gym. It's like shaking hands all day. I alcohol my hands when I get to my car when I'm done. I broke my rule today and went into the locker room to wash my hands. I heard they have a steam room and a sauna but I don't want to be seen roaming the locker room where I assume the gay guys hang out. Not that there's anything wrong with being gay. (Seinfeld)  I washed my hands and got out. Huge locker room from what I saw.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2015, 06:54:57 PM »
legs

extensions warmed light weights..205/220/235/250/265 all 12 rep sets
v squat face in 'mimic front squat 'theses are great 2 plates .3 /3.5/4 plates
lunges up steps 45 lb kettleballs x2 go up/down/up/down
leg press 5 plates /6/7

total sets 14

hams
sldl 135/185/225/245
seated leg culrs x3  180/195/195

calves
5 sets leg press calf raise 12-15 reps worked up to 3.5 plates side

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2015, 12:54:01 AM »
so today i have a bit of pain in my right hand(fingers) and right foot(toes) not good i think. was talking to a woman i know yesterday who is Doctors Assistant here and she told me her Daughter had this..said one false move and you could be lamed...it made my Day yesterday.. :D a bit over the top if you ask me. Anyway on a training note i will later do this circuit:

Done six times no stopping..

skipping:1 minute
Reverse crunch: 1 minute
Tri set: Shoulder press 10 reps
           upright rows 10 reps
           Nieder press 10 reps
Punch Bag 1 minute

The press i do with a loaded ez bar and is light and use the same weight for upright rows...nieder press with weight plate. Itīs light due to injury but direct after tri set 1 minute box sack. If you have no boxing bag shadow box or hold light bells and do arm punches. more of an upper body workout which is good to alternate with the other circuit i posted.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2015, 05:45:23 AM »
workout went well today i even managed a couple of light sets of skull crushers. I prefer doing them on an Incline bench but training alone today i did them lying on the floor so a bit safer and easier at the moment...so  some strength is coming back.. gripping the Bar hurt a bit but managed.. :)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2015, 06:07:36 AM »
workout went well today i even managed a couple of light sets of skull crushers. I prefer doing them on an Incline bench but training alone today i did them lying on the floor so a bit safer and easier at the moment...so  some strength is coming back.. gripping the Bar hurt a bit but managed.. :)
good to hear Donny.. 8)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2015, 06:11:12 AM »
good to hear Donny.. 8)
canīt keep a good man down...my NJ Bro  ;D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2015, 06:11:59 AM »
canīt keep a good man down...my NJ Bro  ;D
thats true....

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2015, 06:16:09 AM »

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2015, 09:04:33 AM »
Feel better soon Donny. Just do what you can do until you're well.

Trained legs today. Used as much weight as I could without aggravating my injured foot.

Squats 5 x 8 (light weight but I felt it. Used 225 lbs.
Leg press 2 x 12 ( felt very dizzy doing these and I'm not holding my breath. Maybe it's the design of this machine. Dropping them for awhile.)
leg extension 3 x 12
flat leg curl 2 x 10. I upped the weight and the gap was so big I could only get 4 reps.
inner and outer leg machines 2 x 12
butt machine push back 2 x 10 (out standing machine. Like a single leg squat.)

Donkey calf machine 2 x 15
Seated Hammer strength 2 x 15

Ab coaster 2 x 25 20lbs
Twisting ab machine 2 x 10

Went home and did neck.  Concerned about my two dizzy episodes leg pressing.

Gym Observations:

1. No one seems to spot each other in this gym. In so many gyms it was just a common courtesy. Rarely do I see a guy working chest with a spot. Is it considered rude to ask for one these times?  I asked a guy to watch me squat because I wasn't using the power cage. He was only to happy watch my back.  Felt bad even asking him.  

2. So many middle age women use the machines and by the look on their faces they aren't even trying to exert them self. They also like to do many sets sitting in the machines forever blocking their use by others.

3. I just can't understand walking on a treadmill. It's just a gorgeous summer day and so many people are walking on a hamster wheel. I live by the beach. Walk on the board walk. Walk on the trail in the woods. Walk the neighborhood. I just don't get the treadmill walking crowd. Worst are young bodybuilders. Are they just incapable of running?

4. Saw the hottie fitness model blonde working out. I have to say she is a very hard trainer and knows what she is doing. She does a lot of fast volume and is more lean than I am.  Maybe I should take a cue and lower the weight upping the sets.

5. Saw a guy using the "trap diamond bar" for deadlifts. Since I have only used it once many years ago I asked him if I could try a rep.  It does seem safer for the back. You are pulling straight up. It's also easier since the handles are higher than an Olympic bar. 275lbs felt like a feather. Of course according to the rules of physics I was doing less work because the bar was higher. Kind of like doing deadlifts raised in a power cage.  

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2015, 09:25:32 AM »

Trained legs today. Used as much weight as I could without aggravating my injured foot.

Leg press 2 x 12 ( felt very dizzy doing these and I'm not holding my breath. Maybe it's the design of this machine. Dropping them for awhile.)
leg extension 3 x 12
flat leg curl 2 x 10. I upped the weight and the gap was so big I could only get 4 reps.

Ab coaster 2 x 25 20lbs

Gym Observations:

1. No one seems to spot each other in this gym. In so many gyms it was just a common courtesy. Rarely do I see a guy working chest with a spot. Is it considered rude to ask for one these times?  I asked a guy to watch me squat because I wasn't using the power cage. He was only to happy watch my back.  Felt bad even asking him.  

2. So many middle age women use the machines and by the look on their faces they aren't even trying to exert them self. They also like to do many sets sitting in the machines forever blocking their use by others.

3. I just can't understand walking on a treadmill. It's just a gorgeous summer day and so many people are walking on a hamster wheel. I live by the beach. Walk on the board walk. Walk on the trail in the woods. Walk the neighborhood. I just don't get the treadmill walking crowd. Worst are young bodybuilders. Are they just incapable of running?

4. Saw the hottie fitness model blonde working out. I have to say she is a very hard trainer and knows what she is doing. She does a lot of fast volume and is more lean than I am.  Maybe I should take a cue and lower the weight upping the sets.

5. Saw a guy using the "trap diamond bar" for deadlifts. Since I have only used it once many years ago I asked him if I could try a rep.  It does seem safer for the back. You are pulling straight up. It's also easier since the handles are higher than an Olympic bar. 275lbs felt like a feather. Of course according to the rules of physics I was doing less work because the bar was higher. Kind of like doing deadlifts raised in a power cage.  
Good thread Man and you bring a great twist to training with your observations... Good comment on Deadlifts too. I also prefer lying leg curls to sitting,standing. Standing i used to do a primitive watered down version with Iron Boots raising the intensity with a SS with Stiff legged deads of course in the Gym you have a machine and maybe unilateral training is better for some people. Still where i work itīs only seated machines...i do lying at home. Leg press and Hypers can be useful too for Hammies as are step ups and lunges.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2015, 10:01:15 AM »

leg extension 3 x 12

Ab coaster 2 x 25 20lbs

Gym Observations:

RICH...MAYBE I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH WEIGHT YOU HAD ON PRESS BUT WHEN I GET TO 7/8 PLATES ASIDE IT CAN JOLT YOU /LEGS TO CHEST AND EYES SHUT /BREATHING IT EASY TO GET DIZZY..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2015, 10:07:11 AM »
good Hammie ex with not much equipment and Hard.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2015, 12:52:43 PM »

GYM Observations:

1. Guy singing Bon Jovi obnoxiously loud.  Of course he's wearing ear buds. In between singing he talks out loud to himself like he's having a conversation. Makes the loudest grunts lifting weights.  

2. Saw two high school kids using 315 for benches. Really impressive. They couldn't have weighed 190lbs.

3.  Since it's Sunday the gym was really sparsely populated. Only two girls in the whole gym. One was doing deep perfect form squats with 145lbs. I have to give her props. The guys who are part of the half rep to 3/4 rep club in the gym could learn something from her.  Why does she have to turn around right in front of me and touch her toes stretching? She stayed bent over for about a half minute. What a perfect ass.

4. There's this guy who looks like Tarzan in the gym. Long flowing blonde hair. Good looking guy and gets a lot of looks from the women. He does the most unconventional workouts. It's a bodybuilding gym and he's always doing push ups, pull ups, dips and other things that you don't need a gym membership for. I can see he's a dedicated trainer but what is he doing in this bodybuilding gym when he could do that stuff at home or the park?  

5. Anyone else have a germ fear like me? Every handle you touched has been touched by hundreds in a gym. It's like shaking hands all day. I alcohol my hands when I get to my car when I'm done. I broke my rule today and went into the locker room to wash my hands. I heard they have a steam room and a sauna but I don't want to be seen roaming the locker room where I assume the gay guys hang out. Not that there's anything wrong with being gay. (Seinfeld)  I washed my hands and got out. Huge locker room from what I saw.

1. Maybe this fellow is talking on his cell phone.

2. This is impressive, young folks can be fearless.

3. Seems like she is putting on a show for you.  ;D  The gym where I workout was pretty dead yesterday too.

4. Maybe Tarzan needs the inspiration of being at the gym and having the ladies swoon over him. I hate all men with long blond hair....it's a jealousy issue.

5. I don't agree with being a germaphobe. We need some germs to build up a resistance.

Gay guys hang out in the gym too, not just the locker room or sauna. Ours is open to women as well as men, so is the hot tub, steam room and pool. This makes using these facilities more interesting.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2015, 12:58:01 PM »
so today i have a bit of pain in my right hand(fingers) and right foot(toes) not good i think. was talking to a woman i know yesterday who is Doctors Assistant here and she told me her Daughter had this..said one false move and you could be lamed...it made my Day yesterday.. :D a bit over the top if you ask me. Anyway on a training note i will later do this circuit:

Done six times no stopping..

skipping:1 minute
Reverse crunch: 1 minute
Tri set: Shoulder press 10 reps
           upright rows 10 reps
           Nieder press 10 reps
Punch Bag 1 minute

The press i do with a loaded ez bar and is light and use the same weight for upright rows...nieder press with weight plate. Itīs light due to injury but direct after tri set 1 minute box sack. If you have no boxing bag shadow box or hold light bells and do arm punches. more of an upper body workout which is good to alternate with the other circuit i posted.

The seriousness of the numbness and pain depends on where it originates from. In my case the neuropathy is due to degenerated disks in my lower spine, which is better than having the source be in your neck, especially if you have to end up going the surgery route.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2015, 01:06:24 PM »
The seriousness of the numbness and pain depends on where it originates from. In my case the neuropathy is due to degenerated disks in my lower spine, which is better than having the source be in your neck, especially if you have to end up going the surgery route.
bad thing is i am feeling it in my right foot as well as my right hand. I mean i am moving around ok so not too worried. Feeling better in my triceps though, as all getbiggers know big arms are important :D I will wait and see.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2015, 01:20:39 PM »
Gym Observations:

1. Not many guys ask for a spot when they should. I've been asked to spot for guys who were lifting much more weight than I would. It's fun to encourage them to do another rep. I usually ask them how much "help" they want. Some fella's just want you to hand off the barbell and then they take over, while others want your hands under the bar and ready to grab it throughout their routine, should they fail. It's helpful in these cases if they tell you how many reps they expect to do.

2. Middle aged women dominate the cardio equipment at my gym too and when using Nautilus equipment they rest too long, talk on the phone and converse with their friends. If it is a machine I am waiting to use, I'll ask them how long they will be. It usually gets the point across.

3. When I walk on trails or even on the sidewalks where I live, I get too distracted and I don't walk fast enough to really get my pulse up, so it's not the best cardio for me. The treadmill is a bit safer too, since trails and sidewalks are not as even.

4. There's hotties at my gym too. I've seen a couple of them who were fairly muscular.

5. Deadlifts are not my favorite exercise. This is funny since my arms are long, which like when using a cage or the trap diamond bar, it makes deadlifts easier to do.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2015, 01:23:30 PM »
good Hammie ex with not much equipment and Hard.

He makes this look so easy. I've never tried them.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2015, 01:27:51 PM »
bad thing is i am feeling it in my right foot as well as my right hand. I mean i am moving around ok so not too worried. Feeling better in my triceps though, as all getbiggers know big arms are important :D I will wait and see.

With neuropathy, exercise seems to help, at least in my case. I don't have pain though, except in my knee which is another story altogether.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2015, 01:31:46 PM »
With neuropathy, exercise seems to help, at least in my case. I don't have pain though, except in my knee with is another story altogether.
I will get it back ...Ach Doctors, doing my own exercises.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2015, 01:34:39 PM »
Yesterday I worked chest and arms. Added in incline bench presses on the Hammer Strength equipment. I upped the weight on the wide/decline bench press. No  change in biceps and triceps routine from the last time except upping the resistance. I forgot about abs. I was planning on working them twice a week.

Next workout is tomorrow when I work quads and hams. Perhaps I do some calves too.

It's almost time to drive 50 miles to pick up my sister so she can go to a doctor's appointment at 10:00 a.m. tomorrow. I think I should find out how she could take the bus up. Each time I take her to the doctor and back home, it is 200 miles of driving and it is a boring drive.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2015, 04:47:49 PM »
That is some insane driving you are doing for you sister. I never was one for going to a doctor. As I get older I guess situations force me to see them now.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2015, 05:13:54 PM »
Chest:

Incline Smith Machine Press
Flat dumbbell flyes
Incline dumbbell press
Pullovers
Dips
X

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2015, 07:11:16 PM »
Chest:

Incline Smith Machine Press
Flat dumbbell flyes
Incline dumbbell press
Pullovers
Dips

Pullovers are one of my favorite exercizes.