Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 414865 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #275 on: August 17, 2015, 11:43:40 PM »
Men are certainly egotistical but I tend to think that the reason men don't use the "proper weight" is because we've been told by bodybuilding mantra that we must continuously keep lifting heavier and heavier in order to make progress...which is why we keep pushing ourselves until we injure ourselves and/or burn out....maybe we should just get the weight up to where we feel comfortable BUT can still work up a good sweat and pump..and then leave it at that......I know its hard to concede when we have reached our natural limits but its a thought.....

The sad part of what you say is that lifting more than you can really handle well, is counter productive to bodybuilding and goof health.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #276 on: August 17, 2015, 11:50:04 PM »
Ever watch someone's feet when they squat in running shoes?  Couple of youngins asked for squat advice, first thing I did was point out the shoes, of course they argued it didn't matter, so I had them watch each others feet during their respective sets. They switched to barefoot and were blown away by the difference.  Kids!!

It might be possible to slip off your shoes when squatting. Most gyms would frown upon folks doing everything barefoot, which is too bad. Maybe flip flops are the answer.

My ideal situation would be to be naked from head to toe when I lift. It lends and animal quality that is hard to beat. I know, because when I had a basement in my home to lift in, that was how I lifted. Come to think of it, I really enjoy being naked as often as possible. I am naked right now.....however, I am in my bedroom where I have complete privacy.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #277 on: August 17, 2015, 11:52:21 PM »
Today was a gym day. Honestly, I over did it last Saturday on legs. Although my routine would allow for this, the cardio would not. Tomorrow is fine for lifting and cardio. I am still on schedule.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #278 on: August 18, 2015, 01:28:51 AM »
Today was a gym day. Honestly, I over did it last Saturday on legs. Although my routine would allow for this, the cardio would not. Tomorrow is fine for lifting and cardio. I am still on schedule.
Good to hear Jay... Iīm sticking to my more circuit style workouts to keep some condition and of course running. Everyone here is complaining itīs getting dark early,cold and raining but i love it.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #279 on: August 18, 2015, 04:49:28 AM »
A few of you commented about barefoot training. I read a book about Kenyan runners. Did you know they all run barefoot until they make a name for them self.  It's a status symbol for them to run in running shoes. It's a source of pride to say they are getting paid to run. They really don't need running shoes at all.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #280 on: August 18, 2015, 01:38:16 PM »
Good to hear Jay... Iīm sticking to my more circuit style workouts to keep some condition and of course running. Everyone here is complaining itīs getting dark early,cold and raining but i love it.

It is not getting cold or raining here. Sunset is around 9:00 p.m.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #281 on: August 18, 2015, 01:39:53 PM »
A few of you commented about barefoot training. I read a book about Kenyan runners. Did you know they all run barefoot until they make a name for them self.  It's a status symbol for them to run in running shoes. It's a source of pride to say they are getting paid to run. They really don't need running shoes at all.

Sometimes it is the little things in life that makes you the most happy.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #282 on: August 18, 2015, 03:46:13 PM »
Did my first cardio after having an injured foot for 6 weeks. Four cortisone shots later I actually ran a ultra slow 12 minute mile. I still have pain but considering I had terrible pain walking this is an incredible improvement. I hope to run a 12 minute mile every day or other day for the week and hopefully my body will hold up. The next week an 11 minute mile and so on.

The positive to having an injured foot is that my lifting program is going really well for most exercises. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #283 on: August 19, 2015, 02:22:24 AM »
Men are certainly egotistical but I tend to think that the reason men don't use the "proper weight" is because we've been told by bodybuilding mantra that we must continuously keep lifting heavier and heavier in order to make progress...which is why we keep pushing ourselves until we injure ourselves and/or burn out....maybe we should just get the weight up to where we feel comfortable BUT can still work up a good sweat and pump..and then leave it at that......I know its hard to concede when we have reached our natural limits but its a thought.....
A very good post. You are 100% correct in my opinion. A lot of supermen talk of big benches and squats but look like a mess. I remember years ago putting up scaffolding and we had a huge Black Guy came to work there. He boasted about his lifting and how many eggs he ate(no joke) He lasted 3 Days because he just could not lift and climb all day. No condition at all.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #284 on: August 19, 2015, 06:42:25 AM »
A very good post. You are 100% correct in my opinion. A lot of supermen talk of high rep, fast paced workouts. I remember years ago putting up scaffolding and we had a ripped black guy came to work there. He boasted about his lifting and how many reps he did(no joke) He lasted 3 Days because he just could not lift scaffolding and climb all day. No strength at all.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #285 on: August 19, 2015, 06:49:47 AM »
A very good post. You are 100% correct in my opinion. A lot of supermen talk of high rep, fast paced workouts. I remember years ago putting up scaffolding and we had a ripped black guy came to work there. He boasted about his lifting and how many reps he did(no joke) He lasted 3 Days because he just could not lift scaffolding and climb all day. No strength at all.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #286 on: August 19, 2015, 07:15:09 AM »
The sad part of what you say is that lifting more than you can really handle well, is counter productive to bodybuilding and goof health.
This is true,...but the sad part is that I still can't help ading on a little extra weight so that I can leave the gym thinking that I've gotten stronger and made "progress"...even when I know its counter-productive

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #287 on: August 19, 2015, 07:18:12 AM »
A very good post. You are 100% correct in my opinion. A lot of supermen talk of big benches and squats but look like a mess. I remember years ago putting up scaffolding and we had a huge Black Guy came to work there. He boasted about his lifting and how many eggs he ate(no joke) He lasted 3 Days because he just could not lift and climb all day. No condition at all.

I gotta admit that I too am not functionally fit.....maybe its beter to do those superman workouts that Henry Cavill performed twice daily in preparation for his superman role....instead of trying to just lift heavy for lifting's sake

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #288 on: August 19, 2015, 07:23:24 AM »
I gotta admit that I too am not functionally fit.....maybe its beter to do those superman workouts that Henry Cavill performed twice daily in preparation for his superman role....instead of trying to just lift heavy for lifting's sake
I think itīs better too be fit and nimble rather than a bag of shit tied round the middle.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #289 on: August 19, 2015, 07:26:46 AM »
I think itīs better too be fit and nimble rather than a bag of shit tied round the middle.

;D....good point

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #290 on: August 19, 2015, 08:17:28 AM »
Too many bodybuilders look good but can't do anything due to a lack of power or conditioning. We sit in a machine and pull/push.  Just adding a something like a power clean and jerk with some cardio can go a long way toward not being a mirror athlete.

Trained delts and arms:

Military press 2 x 6 (cleaned weight first)
Hammer shoulder press 2 x 10 (never tried it before. Not bad)
dumbbell laterals 2 x 10
rear dumbbell laterals 2 x 12
single arm pulley delt laterals 1 x 10
barbell shrugs 2 x 10

ez barbell curls 2 x 10 100lbs (tried to be strict.)
Nautilus arm curls 2 x 10 (seated with two handles. Excellent machine.
Pulley curls with a straight bar 2 x 10

weighted dips 2 x 10 25lbs ( as deep as I could)
behind head tricep pulley machine 2 x 10
traditional tricep pushdowns 3 x 10

reverse barbell curls 2 x 10
wrist curls 2 x 20

ab coaster 2 x 25 25lbs
ab twist machine 2 x10

Threw in one exercise for legs on delt/arm day. Leg push back machine 2 x 10

Gym Observations:

1. Watched ripped trainer working out. He uses very light weights strictly. Steroid guy? I don't know. He isn't that big but has an  impressive physique. After he worked out he trained a chubby girl client. He started her with front delt raises. REALLY?  WTF?  

2. The gym mayor is mad at me I guess because I don't chat with him. Barely says hello anymore. Truth be told I'm trying to beat the clock to get to work and I really don't chat with anyone except for a quick couple of sentences.  He bull shits through his whole workout. His wife the hot blonde figure model who also chats a lot stopped talking to me. Hey, I don't bullshit in the gym. That's just me.

3. There is a guy that just smells like a garbage can in a toilet bowl.  When he walks by me I just hope no one thinks that odor is coming from me.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #291 on: August 19, 2015, 09:32:13 AM »

Is this supposed to be some kind of personal attack?  Who's moderating this thread?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #292 on: August 19, 2015, 06:42:28 PM »
Finally made it to the gym and did the workout I should have done on Monday.

After 30 minutes of cardio, I worked back and traps.

Nautilus lat pull-downs, 4X12-8

Nautilus mid row, 4X12-8

A Nautilus machine (can't remember what it's called) for exercising lower traps, 4X12

Shrugs using the Hammer Strength flat Iso-Lateral bench press machine, Works each side independently, 4X12-10

Upright cable rows, 4X12-10

Nautilus low back machine, 4X15-12

I need to start writing down the actual name of the machine or take a photo of it. I know what the machines work, I just don't always know what they are called.

I'm currently the "Superman" who is doing lots of reps and using less weight. Strength has never been my strong point. It used to bother me, but when all is said and done doing lots of reps as opposed to lifting lots of weight is probably healthier and better for our joints. Aside from my right knee problems, my joints are in good shape. I can't remember having pain in any joint outside of the torn meniscus in my right knee which I did dancing when I was a teenager.

The thing is we all have different strengths. My close friend John looks puny, always has, but he is a strong as an ox. I'm big boned and I am not so strong, never have been. When I weighed 225 lbs. a thousand years ago, I looked like I could tear someone's head off with one hand (my mean face expression was a bonus). What is funny is that I wasn't especially strong and at heart I am a "pussy cat."

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #293 on: August 20, 2015, 01:26:11 AM »
Reeves showing real old school strength in this Movie... ;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #294 on: August 20, 2015, 09:10:59 AM »
Best part of the  clip was that main babe.

Reeves, obviously down in weight (heard he was required to lose some bwt for movies). Source:from a few BB'ing Muscle Beach vets.

Remember watching Lou Degni (Mark Forest) in a sword & sandal epic(?), when I was growing up. Seemed more impressive than Reeves..my view only. And could really act a little.

Guy's who watched Degni workout said he did mostly benches, chins and squats. And like Tony Sansone (Mr. A), another Italian-American, who also did that basic bench, chins and squat thing, would do 10X10's of each exercise in the same workout, 3 times a week. Keeping it simple, I guess. Back in the day a lot of east coast BB'ers (Marvin Eder included..all time great) all worked fairly simple style programs, like dips, chins, squats, etc.  

Good Luck.

F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #295 on: August 20, 2015, 01:56:30 PM »
Finally made it to the gym and did the workout I should have done on Monday.

After 30 minutes of cardio, I worked back and traps.

Nautilus lat pull-downs, 4X12-8

Nautilus mid row, 4X12-8

A Nautilus machine (can't remember what it's called) for exercising lower traps, 4X12

Shrugs using the Hammer Strength flat Iso-Lateral bench press machine, Works each side independently, 4X12-10

Upright cable rows, 4X12-10

Nautilus low back machine, 4X15-12

I need to start writing down the actual name of the machine or take a photo of it. I know what the machines work, I just don't always know what they are called.

I'm currently the "Superman" who is doing lots of reps and using less weight. Strength has never been my strong point. It used to bother me, but when all is said and done doing lots of reps as opposed to lifting lots of weight is probably healthier and better for our joints. Aside from my right knee problems, my joints are in good shape. I can't remember having pain in any joint outside of the torn meniscus in my right knee which I did dancing when I was a teenager.

The thing is we all have different strengths. My close friend John looks puny, always has, but he is a strong as an ox. I'm big boned and I am not so strong, never have been. When I weighed 225 lbs. a thousand years ago, I looked like I could tear someone's head off with one hand (my mean face expression was a bonus). What is funny is that I wasn't especially strong and at heart I am a "pussy cat."
yes take some pictures Jay would interest me too. Workout looks great

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #296 on: August 21, 2015, 07:16:44 AM »
Trained back and chest:

Pull ups 3 x max ( dead hang all the way up till the elbows are down)
Low seated cable row with a V handle 2 x 12
Dumbbell row 2 x 9 90lbs ( dead hang down and all the way up controlled)
Hammer strength pulldown  2 x 10 225lbs. (love the stretch at the top and the full contraction at the bottom. Great machine)

Dumbbell flat bench 2 x 6
Hammer bench 2 x 8 225lbs ( I'm limited by my bad shoulders. It feels really safe to bench in this machine
Incline Hammer strength 2 x 7
Flat flies 2 x 10 45lbs ( tried to be strict.)
Machine flies 3 x 10

Dead lifts 1 x 4 335lbs ( injuries holding me back but it felt good)
weighted hypers 2 x 12 (held a 35lbs plated behind head)

Gym observations:

1. Take a shower and put on clean clothes to work out smelly guy.

2. Is asking how many sets you have left considered rude?  If you have a lot I will do something else or wait.  The way guys use to answer in the past was, "Why don't you work in or I have one more set."

3. I don't know how some of the hot chicks can get their workout in with all the guys bothering them to chat with them.

4. So many of the steroid guys are just mirror athletes. They deadlift but it has to be raised in the power cage or they could never get it off the floor.  They cheat every exercise.  One guys face was so bloated from the juice it looked like a pin would make his head explode.  It was beet red too.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #297 on: August 21, 2015, 09:45:48 AM »
Trained back and chest:

Pull ups 3 x max ( dead hang all the way up till the elbows are down)
Low seated cable row with a V handle 2 x 12
Dumbbell row 2 x 9 90lbs ( dead hang down and all the way up controlled)
Hammer strength pulldown  2 x 10 225lbs. (love the stretch at the top and the full contraction at the bottom. Great machine)

Dumbbell flat bench 2 x 6
Hammer bench 2 x 8 225lbs ( I'm limited by my bad shoulders. It feels really safe to bench in this machine
Incline Hammer strength 2 x 7
Flat flies 2 x 10 45lbs ( tried to be strict.)
Machine flies 3 x 10

Dead lifts 1 x 4 335lbs ( injuries holding me back but it felt good)
weighted hypers 2 x 12 (held a 35lbs plated behind head)

Gym observations:

1. Take a shower and put on clean clothes to work out smelly guy.

2. Is asking how many sets you have left considered rude?  If you have a lot I will do something else or wait.  The way guys use to answer in the past was, "Why don't you work in or I have one more set."

3. I don't know how some of the hot chicks can get their workout in with all the guys bothering them to chat with them.

4. So many of the steroid guys are just mirror athletes. They deadlift but it has to be raised in the power cage or they could never get it off the floor.  They cheat every exercise.  One guys face was so bloated from the juice it looked like a pin would make his head explode.  It was beet red too.
Laughed at No:4 but very true. How long are you going to train in the Gym ?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #298 on: August 21, 2015, 10:47:56 AM »
Laughed at No:4 but very true. How long are you going to train in the Gym ?

Thought you all might be interested in this little bit of information.

Typical Aromatizing Steroids
◾Dianabol
◾Testosterone
◾Deca Durabolin
◾Sustanon 250
◾Nandrolone Phenylpropionate (NPP)

Products needed to prevent the moon face look
◾Aromasin or Arimidex
◾Cardarine (GW-501516)
◾N2Guard

Red face is a little more complicated. It seems there are a variety of remedies which may or may not work depending on which steroid one is on and how it reacts  to each individual's system. BTW too much alcohol can also cause red face. Slo-niacin can cause flushing too.

Fortunately, I've never experienced this side effect. But then, I take a comparatively low dosage of testosterone. Even though I take Slo-niacin for cardio-vascular health, it has never caused me any problem.

I just remembered, I forgot to take the Arimidex last Wednesday....seriously.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #299 on: August 21, 2015, 11:30:06 AM »
Thought you all might be interested in this little bit of information.

Typical Aromatizing Steroids
◾Dianabol
◾Testosterone
◾Deca Durabolin
◾Sustanon 250
◾Nandrolone Phenylpropionate (NPP)

Products needed to prevent the moon face look
◾Aromasin or Arimidex
◾Cardarine (GW-501516)
◾N2Guard

Red face is a little more complicated. It seems there are a variety of remedies which may or may not work depending on which steroid one is on and how it reacts  to each individual's system. BTW too much alcohol can also cause red face. Slo-niacin can cause flushing too.

Fortunately, I've never experienced this side effect. But then, I take a comparatively low dosage of testosterone. Even though I take Slo-niacin for cardio-vascular health, it has never caused me any problem.

I just remembered, I forgot to take the Arimidex last Wednesday....seriously.

Only time i get a red face is straining on the Pot.. ;D the whole steroid scene never intrested me. I am not against the guys who do it after all itīs an individual decision.