Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 414784 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #825 on: October 30, 2015, 09:47:11 AM »

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #826 on: October 30, 2015, 10:49:45 AM »

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #827 on: November 01, 2015, 04:28:09 PM »
leg ..eased back into a little more intensity..

v squat ..1 plate x15.2x12/3x12/3x12,,i usually do 5 plates a side,,this was plenty off to good pump
lying sled press feet close.160/180/200
lunges 25 lb kettle ball up steps/down/up/down x2
extension x3 195-220x12

hams
single leg standing leg curls 60/70/80
seated leg curl x3 150/165/165

calves 5 sets 200lbs x12 standing calf raises..

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #828 on: November 01, 2015, 08:32:27 PM »
Ease it on up njflex!
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #829 on: November 02, 2015, 05:16:59 AM »
Ease it on up njflex!
:)..sore today..

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #830 on: November 02, 2015, 08:00:57 AM »
I intended to train back and chest. Half way through I was spent with my shoulder acting up. Pissed off I didn't do half the work out.

Power cleans 3 x 3
Pull downs 2 x 10
Seated cable rows with a large V handle 2 x 12
Hands facing pulldown 2 x 10 (used too much weight and I had to cheat the final reps.)

Bench: I did one set and my shoulder just felt like it was about to give out so I cut my losses. Going to stop barbell benching again. At 56 I had a good run with it. Doing them since I was about 13. I actually think dumbbell benches gives me better pec involvement and it's something I can do without the shoulder pain.

Going to take a few days off and revamp what I'm doing. In the commercial gym I had great success using weight that felt like using that day. Now back in my basement I'm trying to follow a script concerning poundage. Increasing my bench weight by 10lbs was obviously a mistake in retrospect. I have to listen to my body instead of what I write down.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #831 on: November 02, 2015, 08:09:30 AM »
I intended to train back and chest. Half way through I was spent with my shoulder acting up. Pissed off I did half the work out.

Power cleans 3 x 3
Pull downs 2 x 10
Seated cable rows with a large V handle 2 x 12
Hands facing pulldown 2 x 10 (used too much weight and I had to cheat the final reps.)

Bench: I did one set and my shoulder just felt like it was about to give out so I cut my losses. Going to stop barbell benching again. At 56 I had a good run with it. Doing them since I was about 13. I actually think dumbbell benches gives me better pec involvement and it's something I can do without the shoulder pain.

Going to take a few days off and revamp what I'm doing. In the commercial gym I had great success using weight that felt like using that day. Now back in my basement I'm trying to follow a script concerning poundage. Increasing my bench weight by 10lbs was obviously a mistake in retrospect. I have to listen to my body instead of what I write down.
you'll be fine rich,,find that balance ,db press work great I love them...I never wrote down what I do/did ,,some mental notes if something changed or increases,i more instinctive in training..chasing the pump..

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #832 on: November 02, 2015, 06:07:09 PM »
Being a creature of habit, I hate that I couldn't remember what muscle groups I was supposed to workout from when I was more consistent at going to the gym. Anyway, I worked chest and shoulders:

Pec deck on the Nautilus, 4X12-8
Benches, 4X12-8
Pullovers, 4x12-8
Lateral raises, 4X12-8
Overhead presses, 4X12-6

-Pretty down and dirty. I was done in 45 minutes plus 20 minutes of cardio. If anything is going to tighten my stomach skin, it's either bulking up again or doing loads of cardio. I don't want to add bulk so I am stuck with cardio. Of course there is always a tummy tuck, which is not going to happen in this lifetime. Have you seen the scar that leaves?

Yeah this went long. The session even timed out while composing the post.

Anyone else ever notice how when your waist gets smaller, you inseam gets longer. Not long ago, I purchased some slim fit chinos in a 32X30. I put them on this morning and they look like clown pants....sloppy in the waist and too short. Paying $50 for pants less than a month ago which are going to Goodwill tomorrow was a total waste. I could roll them up like the youngsters do and just pretend I'm cool, but with my giant feet, it would probably result in me looking even more like more a clown then I already do. LOL.

Tonight is All Souls Day. Mass is at 7:00. It's just my daughter, my son-in-law and I attending, as far as I know. Seems as if everyone Margie and I knew is afraid of spending too much time in church. It is all good though. For those of you who are not Catholic, All Souls Day mass is for remembering those who died in the past year. It is also tied to Halloween, which originally was called All Souls Day. Haunting, isn't it?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #833 on: November 03, 2015, 07:07:52 AM »
Being a creature of habit, I hate that I couldn't remember what muscle groups I was supposed to workout from when I was more consistent at going to the gym. Anyway, I worked chest and shoulders:

Pec deck on the Nautilus, 4X12-8
Benches, 4X12-8
Pullovers, 4x12-8
Lateral raises, 4X12-8
Overhead presses, 4X12-6

-Pretty down and dirty. I was done in 45 minutes plus 20 minutes of cardio. If anything is going to tighten my stomach skin, it's either bulking up again or doing loads of cardio. I don't want to add bulk so I am stuck with cardio. Of course there is always a tummy tuck, which is not going to happen in this lifetime. Have you seen the scar that leaves?

Yeah this went long. The session even timed out while composing the post.

Anyone else ever notice how when your waist gets smaller, you inseam gets longer. Not long ago, I purchased some slim fit chinos in a 32X30. I put them on this morning and they look like clown pants....sloppy in the waist and too short. Paying $50 for pants less than a month ago which are going to Goodwill tomorrow was a total waste. I could roll them up like the youngsters do and just pretend I'm cool, but with my giant feet, it would probably result in me looking even more like more a clown then I already do. LOL.

Tonight is All Souls Day. Mass is at 7:00. It's just my daughter, my son-in-law and I attending, as far as I know. Seems as if everyone Margie and I knew is afraid of spending too much time in church. It is all good though. For those of you who are not Catholic, All Souls Day mass is for remembering those who died in the past year. It is also tied to Halloween, which originally was called All Souls Day. Haunting, isn't it?
Nice one Big Jay.. I Had another 2 injections today so iīll just go for a brisk walk tonight and tomorrow i will do a few lifts.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #834 on: November 03, 2015, 04:29:05 PM »
Donny those injections sound painful. I hope they are working. Is it cortisone shots?

Prime I enjoy reading your posts. Warms the heart that your immediate family is attending church to remember your wife. Keep up the workouts. It's also good for your mind.

Trying to think about doing different things with my workouts. I'm like a broken record of low sets and failure training. When ever I try more moderate weight going for the pump I feel like I'm not doing the right work ethic of power bodybuilding. I have to learn to stop "sprinting" when lifting and become more of a "middle distance" lifter. If you can understand my convoluted metaphor

I do think it might be better to do moderate weights and little rest in between sets for awhile for most exercises. Maybe picking just one or two exercises to max out on using something like a 6-4-2-1 rep sets.  Just a little burned out trying to get stronger in all my exercises. This has been the longest period of training for me in a long time without a break. I lifted with few missed workouts since June to just recently where I quit a workout when my shoulder was hurting.

Going for a run tomorrow. Maybe I will figure it out then. I don't consider myself a bodybuilder. I'm into being as fit as a I can. I think the biggest fault I have training is that I push myself too hard training then I reach burn out wondering how I got there.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #835 on: November 03, 2015, 07:45:56 PM »
Donny those injections sound painful. I hope they are working. Is it cortisone shots?

Prime I enjoy reading your posts. Warms the heart that your immediate family is attending church to remember your wife. Keep up the workouts. It's also good for your mind.

Trying to think about doing different things with my workouts. I'm like a broken record of low sets and failure training. When ever I try more moderate weight going for the pump I feel like I'm not doing the right work ethic of power bodybuilding. I have to learn to stop "sprinting" when lifting and become more of a "middle distance" lifter. If you can understand my convoluted metaphor

I do think it might be better to do moderate weights and little rest in between sets for awhile for most exercises. Maybe picking just one or two exercises to max out on using something like a 6-4-2-1 rep sets.  Just a little burned out trying to get stronger in all my exercises. This has been the longest period of training for me in a long time without a break. I lifted with few missed workouts since June to just recently where I quit a workout when my shoulder was hurting.

Going for a run tomorrow. Maybe I will figure it out then. I don't consider myself a bodybuilder. I'm into being as fit as a I can. I think the biggest fault I have training is that I push myself too hard training then I reach burn out wondering how I got there.
don't overthink it rich,,just do what ur doing but tweak it,just change it up workout to workout if you do not want to commit to a total change..

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #836 on: November 03, 2015, 08:07:27 PM »
chest /tr/abs

inc db press,,60/70/70
fdb press 60's x3 turned palms in at top face each other ..
seated press'stack'version x3
lower cable flyes x3
cable upper crossovers x2 with dips
1 set 20 pushups finish

tris
overhead rope extensions x3
pushdowns x3
lying db close grip press 'dumbells turned in pressed close together 'keep elbows in x3,,
skullcrushers x2 12 reps

abs

treadmill

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #837 on: November 04, 2015, 07:42:36 AM »
Ran two slow 8:45 miles. It was fantastic out. Pure sun and about 60 degrees. The park was filled with Milf's.  Came home and stretched. It's something I usually neglect to do. Then I went in my basement and hit the heavy bag for a couple of three minute rounds. My punches don't have the snap they use to have but I hope to get it back.

I remember an interview with Bill Pearl that I'm sure I have buried somewhere.  He said when he turned 55 he stopped caring about the amount of weight used. Maybe I should too.

Like I said in a previous post I watched a completely ripped build personal trainer working out in the gym I belonged to months before. He used weights I would be humiliated using in public. All I can say is that he looked fantastic. Does he use pills, syringes and vials? I suspect but it doesn't change he got there with light to moderate weights. 135lbs squats and deadlifts is an example of what I'm talking about. Curling with 60lbs and always body weight dips/chins.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #838 on: November 04, 2015, 07:44:27 AM »
Ran two slow 8:45 miles. It was fantastic out. Pure sun and about 60 degrees. The park was filled with Milf's.  Came home and stretched. It's something I usually neglect to do. Then I went in my basement and hit the heavy bag for a couple of three minute rounds. My punches don't have the snap they use to have but I hope to get it back.

I remember an interview with Bill Pearl that I'm sure I have buried somewhere.  He said when he turned 55 he stopped caring about the amount of weight used. Maybe I should too.

Like I said in a previous post I watched a completely ripped build personal trainer working out in the gym I belonged to months before. He used weights I would be humiliated using in public. All I can say is that he looked fantastic. Does he use pills, syringes and vials? I suspect but it doesn't change he got there with light to moderate weights. 135lbs squats and deadlifts is an example of what I'm talking about. Curling with 60lbs and always body weight dips/chins.
THE SQUATS OUT OF THAT SOUNDS CRAZY,I DO CHINS/DIPS BODYWEIGHT ONLY ITS ENOUGH,,BUT I WOULDN'T BE CAUGHT DEAD SQUATTING 135

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #839 on: November 04, 2015, 07:46:31 AM »

RICH ONCE U BUILD THICKNESS/SIZE AND CONDITION U WANT ESP CLEAN/NATURAL YOU CAN CRUISE FROM THERE,WHEN YOUR STRONGER PUSH IF YOU WANT TO GO LIGHTER BUT SLOWER MORE REPS DO IT...YOU'LL HOLD PLENTY SIZE WITHOUT MOVING MOUNTAINS ,,I HAVE ACCEPTED THIS TO A DEGREE LOL....UNTIL I SQUAT 405 AGAIN  :P

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #840 on: November 05, 2015, 01:10:00 AM »

Pearl looked outstanding at 56... and check his pic out sitting on a bench at 72 :o

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #841 on: November 05, 2015, 01:11:59 AM »
I think he was 56 in this picture..

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #842 on: November 05, 2015, 06:25:13 AM »
good pics Donny....pearl had strong looking build...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #843 on: November 05, 2015, 06:30:51 AM »
good pics Donny....pearl had strong looking build...
not sure if he was so old in the first picture but the secound i believe 56. Any how a Gentleman, old school.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #844 on: November 05, 2015, 07:17:31 AM »
back.traps/abs/calves... killer...

tbar rows front loaded standing version...plate warmed up,2 plates,2.5,3 plates sets 10
low pulley row with wide triange bar 165/180/195 sets 10
tried something different cable single arm pulldown at pulley station crouch  down pull cable from top /stretch pull down 'like using hammer pulldown machine'x3
behind neck pulldown used wide bar that has large handles at end'bar is bent at corners x3...nice pump
finished 85/95 db single arm rows x10

weighted hypers x3 x12 reps

shrugs 185/235/285/305/325

abs 5 sets 30 crunch machine

calves 3 set standing calf raises 25 reps sets..great finish pump

workout took exactly 1 hr 10 mins 920/1030 pm

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #845 on: November 05, 2015, 07:25:24 AM »
back.traps/abs/calves... killer...

tbar rows front loaded standing version...plate warmed up,2 plates,2.5,3 plates sets 10
low pulley row with wide triange bar 165/180/195 sets 10
tried something different cable single arm pulldown at pulley station crouch  down pull cable from top /stretch pull down 'like using hammer pulldown machine'x3
behind neck pulldown used wide bar that has large handles at end'bar is bent at corners x3...nice pump
finished 85/95 db single arm rows x10

weighted hypers x3 x12 reps

shrugs 185/235/285/305/325

abs 5 sets 30 crunch machine

calves 3 set standing calf raises 25 reps sets..great finish pump

workout took exactly 1 hr 10 mins 920/1030 pm

nice..erectors to traps...fast too a lot of work done.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #846 on: November 05, 2015, 07:51:38 AM »
nice..erectors to traps...fast too a lot of work done.
thanks..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #847 on: November 05, 2015, 08:13:09 AM »

not painful i just feel like pressure when it is injected. Very fine needle. I had injections before in the side of my neck (right) but now direct in the joint capsule (Back). Yes cortisone with other medicine. Will be going to a rehab centre for treatment too. Canīt be arsed but if i have too. the only places near me are in Braunschweig and Soltau. So i will be staying there for a while. Soltau has a special clinic for this. Anything to avoid an op. if it fails i will be operated in Hannover. it means 4 months no weight training, i was told this. Take it as it comes.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #848 on: November 05, 2015, 08:24:03 AM »
not painful i just feel like pressure when it is injected. Very fine needle. I had injections before in the side of my neck (right) but now direct in the joint capsule (Back). Yes cortisone with other medicine. Will be going to a rehab centre for treatment too. Canīt be arsed but if i have too. the only places near me are in Braunschweig and Soltau. So i will be staying there for a while. Soltau has a special clinic for this. Anything to avoid an op. if it fails i will be operated in Hannover. it means 4 months no weight training, i was told this. Take it as it comes.
:-\,,DAMN,,MISS YOUR WORKOUT INPUTS HERE ,,EVEN RECENTLY WHEN I WASN'T WELL I WAS NOT INTO POSTING EITHER CAUSE I WASN'T MY BEST...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #849 on: November 05, 2015, 08:39:19 AM »
:-\,,DAMN,,MISS YOUR WORKOUT INPUTS HERE ,,EVEN RECENTLY WHEN I WASN'T WELL I WAS NOT INTO POSTING EITHER CAUSE I WASN'T MY BEST...
It is the way it is. I can at least move my fingers and hand better than for 6 weeks. Tricep is getting stronger so see what happens. give it all in the Rehab centre and see if itīs ok. Donīt wish this on anyone but at least i get my laughs on getbig. I read your training Daily Steve and all the guys on here. Keeps me motivated. Really.